Logging into TreasuryDirect w/ forgotten password

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
CashConfessions

Logging into TreasuryDirect w/ forgotten password

Post by CashConfessions »

Hello,

I have a very old (10+ years) TreasuryDirect account. I have the authentication card, but not the original account number (just the masked version on the letter with the authentication card). There are no funds in the account, but I'd like to use it to purchase bonds going forward. I have access to the old physical address, but not the old phone number or the old email address.

There doesn't appear to be a way to contact TreasuryDirect via a webform without the full account number. Does anyone have any suggestion to reset the account?

Thanks in advance -- as always.
anon_investor

Re: Logging into TreasuryDirect w/ forgotten password

Post by anon_investor »

CashConfessions wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:06 pm Hello,

I have a very old (10+ years) TreasuryDirect account. I have the authentication card, but not the original account number (just the masked version on the letter with the authentication card). There are no funds in the account, but I'd like to use it to purchase bonds going forward. I have access to the old physical address, but not the old phone number or the old email address.

There doesn't appear to be a way to contact TreasuryDirect via a webform without the full account number. Does anyone have any suggestion to reset the account?

Give them a call:
844-284-2676
https://www.treasurydirect.gov/call.htm
Topic Author
CashConfessions

Thanks - as I read it, it's the "Legacy" TreasuryDirect, but after consideration that's probably where I'm at now.

Sorry for the dumb question! Will at least let others know if it works.
Fudgie

Post by Fudgie »

:beer
Last edited by Fudgie on Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
CashConfessions

Well... Two quick facts:

1.) They apparently didn't pay for a professional "voice artist" to record the message.
2.) Hours are 7 am - 6 pm Eastern (which honestly surprises me given that it's a Federal program, and is supposed to be accessible to the Pacific, Hawaii, etc.).

More to come later.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

CashConfessions wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:06 pm Hello,

I had the same older account with the card-based authentication. I had all the required authentication, but after several years of non-use, I couldn't log on. I contacted TD and was told to forget about the old account and just create a new one, so that's what I did. Have you tried creating a new account? I recall being surprised that creating a new account worked, but it did (but this was years ago now, so my memory could be wrong.)
Topic Author
CashConfessions

Just spoke with them - they said that the account had been closed due to inactivity (no funds in the account), so just start a new one from scratch. Haven't finished applying yet, but sounds like a straightforward process!
Topic Author
CashConfessions

And... when I tried to open an account, the web page threw an error about validating my information the first time, and then the second time accepted it. But then they sent me an email saying that I needed to fill out a paper form, have it guaranteed by a bank/brokerage, and then mail it to Minneapolis.

My guess is that the validation issue had to do with previously having an account, since I triple-checked for typos.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

CashConfessions wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:41 pm And... when I tried to open an account, the web page threw an error about validating my information the first time, and then the second time accepted it. But then they sent me an email saying that I needed to fill out a paper form, have it guaranteed by a bank/brokerage, and then mail it to Minneapolis.

My guess is that the validation issue had to do with previously having an account, since I triple-checked for typos.
It is more likely that your validation issue relates to an issue with your credit file at Equifax. That's the credit bureau that most Federal agencies use these days to validate a person's identity.
Topic Author
CashConfessions

Interesting. Thanks for prompting me to check.

I have a pretty common -- but long -- first name, and it looks like Equifax's report truncates it. It also reports my age / date of birth as 0 years old.

I'm guessing those may have caused the issue. Any thoughts as to whether it's worth trying to have them correct my name at least for future similar issues?
MahoningValley

Post by MahoningValley »

Good luck with that signature guarantee. It was a problem 15 years ago when I opened my TD acct. Can't imagine what it's like today. :annoyed
Topic Author
CashConfessions

Thanks... I am not excited about the signature guaranty.

Speaking of which, does anyone know if Schwab does them? I asked someone on the online chat, and after a looong pause, she said "I'm sure that you can get them to do that at the branch" which didn't inspire a ton of confidence.
bkmcd1

Post by bkmcd1 »

CashConfessions wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:43 pm Thanks... I am not excited about the signature guaranty.
I had a good experience getting one from Wells Fargo, if you happen to have an account with them. Call ahead -- you may need an appointment.

Had a bad experience getting one from Bank of America -- in fact, I gave up on getting one from them.
bkmcd1

Post by bkmcd1 »

CashConfessions wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:25 pm but sounds like a straightforward process!
As you are finding out, it's anything but straightforward.

They've recently changed things (at least for me) so that every time you want to link a new bank account to Treasury Direct, you have to get a signature guarantee. I wanted to close the account that is currently linked to TD, but I guess I will keep it and use it only to transfer money to and from TD.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

bkmcd1 wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:00 pm
CashConfessions wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:25 pm but sounds like a straightforward process!
As you are finding out, it's anything but straightforward.

They've recently changed things (at least for me) so that every time you want to link a new bank account to Treasury Direct, you have to get a signature guarantee. I wanted to close the account that is currently linked to TD, but I guess I will keep it and use it only to transfer money to and from TD.
You might as well just link the new bank account. They changed it for everyone. Just get the form completed with signature guarantee and update you bank account, then delete the old one. A few other threads have reported that TD does update the bank account info quickly, in a matter of days (once received).