New construction home windows (marvin, kolbe, sierra)

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
eagleeyes

New construction home windows (marvin, kolbe, sierra)

Post by eagleeyes »

All

we are foolhardy enough to begin a new home construction. we had previously chosen marvin signature ultimate casements windows for the entire house. However, we came to find out that marvin is delayed atleast 23-24 weeks, or perhaps even more.

This is a huge bummer as we had really spent a great deal of time looking at windows and exploring them. So we are back to square one.

We are looking specifically extruded aluminum clad wood windows (we have nixed the rolled form aluminum of certain windows like pella and quaker). Our builder has recommended we check out Sierra Pacific (aspen or urban casement) windows and Kolbe (ultra or vistaluxe). Both of these have shorter lead times 16 weeks and 12 weeks respectively.

I am interested to hear the boards opinions regarding these brands and particularly the casements. How have they held up? any or what kind of issues? did the manufacturer stand behind the products?

Thanks for reading
Allan

Re: New construction home windows (marvin, kolbe, sierra)

Post by Allan »

I build custom homes in the higher price ranges, Kolbe and Loewen are recognized as the best clad windows.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

I have no idea about other brands, our contractor did the research. But we got aluminum clad wood Jeld-Wen windows about 15 years ago, and they’ve been…fine. That’s about all I can say. They’re windows, and they’ve been providing window services without any issues the entire time.

We did have one window that cracked within the first year. No idea if it was a construction defect or installation issue. It was replaced under warranty without any hassle.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

eagleeyes wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:56 am All

we are foolhardy enough to begin a new home construction. we had previously chosen marvin signature ultimate casements windows for the entire house. However, we came to find out that marvin is delayed atleast 23-24 weeks, or perhaps even more.

This is a huge bummer as we had really spent a great deal of time looking at windows and exploring them. So we are back to square one.

We are looking specifically extruded aluminum clad wood windows (we have nixed the rolled form aluminum of certain windows like pella and quaker). Our builder has recommended we check out Sierra Pacific (aspen or urban casement) windows and Kolbe (ultra or vistaluxe). Both of these have shorter lead times 16 weeks and 12 weeks respectively.

I am interested to hear the boards opinions regarding these brands and particularly the casements. How have they held up? any or what kind of issues? did the manufacturer stand behind the products?

Thanks for reading
I need windows too but thought most window brands/models were delayed for many months. So maybe just be like the rest of us and cover the window openings until you can get windows. If prices keep going up, maybe you can sell whatever you cover the openings with for more than you paid for it once your windows arrive.
Bogle7

Post by Bogle7 »

Now is your chance to rethink the windows.
1. European-style tilt-turn
2. Triple pane
3. Self-cleaning glass
Old fart who does three index stock funds, baby.
Watty

Post by Watty »

eagleeyes wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:56 am marvin is delayed atleast 23-24 weeks, or perhaps even more.

Both of these have shorter lead times 16 weeks and 12 weeks respectively.
Take a hard look at the calendar to see when those would be available if you live in an area where you get snow and freezing weather. In addition to making and installing the windows more difficult freezing weather would complicate doing things like plumbing since if there is any water in the pipes it will freeze if there are no windows on the house. That can no doubt be worked around but it adds more complexity.

There is also a non-zero chance that there will be more unexpected supply chain delays will develop. The longer it takes to get the windows the more chance there is that some future problem will develop.

As long as they are "good enough" I would likely go with the brand that will be available the soonest.
Flora

Post by Flora »

We replaced early 1990s Kolbe & Kolbe windows with 2012 Kolbe windows after hail storm damage. Purchased in Wausau, WI: excellent customer service and very pleased. Aluminum clad with wood frame and the screen frame (white) matches the window frame color we chose (pre-finished white painted); fine grade screen is almost invisible.
Topic Author
eagleeyes

Post by eagleeyes »

Allan wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:35 am I build custom homes in the higher price ranges, Kolbe and Loewen are recognized as the best clad windows.

Allan,

We are building a “transitional” home (whatever that means). It’s more modern than farmhouse, as my wife explained it to me.

I’m worried the Vistaluxe with its very minimal profiles will look too commercial in the house. We are leaning more toward the ultra line. Or perhaps Sierra pacific aspen line or urban casement.

Anyways, how do you handle call backs regarding these windows? Are they uncommon? Is one easier or harder to install and flash well?
Topic Author
eagleeyes

Post by eagleeyes »

Bogle7 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:47 pm Now is your chance to rethink the windows.
1. European-style tilt-turn
2. Triple pane
3. Self-cleaning glass

I floated the idea of triple pane windows to get those impressive U factors of below 0.20. My fear was that these windows often have a lower visible transmittance and the windows looks a little “gray”. Also, The window package for the home is in the range of 120k. So a triple pane up charge would not be trivial. My thought process in not paying the upcharge is that we are going build solar on roof. thus it’s cheaper to add solar panels to reap energy savings rather than triple pane windows upcharge…

I like the euro tilt/turn. But I imagine they would have similar lead times. Also the windows are bulkier than North American window profiles.

Marvin has windows that are self cleaning. The others I mentioned above do not unfortunately.
Topic Author
eagleeyes

Post by eagleeyes »

quantAndHold wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:31 pm I have no idea about other brands, our contractor did the research. But we got aluminum clad wood Jeld-Wen windows about 15 years ago, and they’ve been…fine. That’s about all I can say. They’re windows, and they’ve been providing window services without any issues the entire time.

We did have one window that cracked within the first year. No idea if it was a construction defect or installation issue. It was replaced under warranty without any hassle.
This makes me wonder if we are being ridiculous. I suppose when building a home and spending time on Instagram and Pinterest, it can be easy to get carried away and pick the best brands.

Jeld wyn makes great windows. Matt risinger put them in his home as well! That’s certainly a good testimonial!
RoadagentMN

Post by RoadagentMN »

Marvin Infinity is your answer- installed many. I’m in Minnesota as is Marvin - they understand cold weather window performance. Additionally, they’re very responsive to problems.
tigermilk

Post by tigermilk »

https://www.replacement-windows.com/windowbb/

https://www.vinyl-replacement-windows.com/forum/

Lots of expert opinions in the forum links above. We searched high and low there when picking our windows,B ottom line is to find a brand and model that works for your climate, which may or may not be those name brands.
Allan

Post by Allan »

eagleeyes wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:35 pm
Allan wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:35 am I build custom homes in the higher price ranges, Kolbe and Loewen are recognized as the best clad windows.

Allan,

We are building a “transitional” home (whatever that means). It’s more modern than farmhouse, as my wife explained it to me.

I’m worried the Vistaluxe with its very minimal profiles will look too commercial in the house. We are leaning more toward the ultra line. Or perhaps Sierra pacific aspen line or urban casement.

Anyways, how do you handle call backs regarding these windows? Are they uncommon? Is one easier or harder to install and flash well?
Window flashing is extremely important, more so on certain claddings like stucco, but all windows need head flashing and some need window pans. One no-brainer thing to do is to slope the frame sill just a bit, this costs nothing. In brick and siding I've even done "pans" by sloping the framed sill, putting a small strip of wood maybe 3/8" thick at the back of the frame, and then applying a good window peel and seal flashing to the window sill before window is installed, lapping up on the sides of the opening. But the best pan is fabricated out of copper and installed before the window is installed, this is what we do with stucco.
Admiral

Post by Admiral »

I've used Andersen aluminum-clad wood on my (historic) home. Tilt-in style. Durable, reasonable (though not cheap) cost, v. good customer service. Marvin are a bit more expensive. I just put in an Andersen sliding glass door. I do feel they are starting to cheap out a bit on the hardware (the door latch is now molded plastic, not metal) but if it breaks, it's warranteed for 15 years. Contractor who put it in agreed. It was also a PITA to install.

Neighbors have used Emerald windows and liked them. Cheaper. This is on east coast, not sure if they are available nationwide.
HoosierHedge

Post by HoosierHedge »

Just finished building our transitional style home - used Anderson E-series casement windows throughout. Beautiful windows that fit the style perfectly. This style is completely customizable as well.
chazas

Post by chazas »

Just not Weather Shield. Used a ton of them on a custom home around 2007, all wood with divided lights. They stopped making the same color spacer between the panes - we had bronze, all they for replacement was silver, no recourse even though we had an architects “lifetime” warranty. Also service was atrocious.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

eagleeyes wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:42 pm I floated the idea of triple pane windows to get those impressive U factors of below 0.20. My fear was that these windows often have a lower visible transmittance and the windows looks a little “gray”. Also, The window package for the home is in the range of 120k. So a triple pane up charge would not be trivial. My thought process in not paying the upcharge is that we are going build solar on roof. thus it’s cheaper to add solar panels to reap energy savings rather than triple pane windows upcharge…
I don’t have easy access to the invoice, but I was surprised that the cost for Marvin triple pane was not much higher than double pane. I haven’t noticed a gray cast, but my 70 year old eyes aren’t a good test. We have an entire wall in our bedroom triple glazed; it is comfortable to stand next to them on the coldest winter or hottest summer day.

Yay on solar.

Check out https://greenzerocarbonhome.com/. He favors heat pumps (air sourced, not ground), triple glazing, solar, and insulation. His book focuses on savings (which incidentally is why he favors ASHP rather than GSHP; quicker break even).
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
Crow Hunter

Post by Crow Hunter »

I work in the industry.

Right now we are facing unprecedented issues with sourcing materials and labor on top of higher order intakes than anytime in history.

All of the companies are working extremely hard to reduce lead times but there are serious roadblocks.

That said.

Most of your performance is going to be related to installation. A mediocre window installed correctly will vastly outperform an excellent quality product installed poorly.

Triple pane glass will have less light transmittance than double pane which has less than single pane, but it I have trouble telling which is installed just looking straight through it. I wouldn't let that keep me from buying it personally. When I build my retirement home, I plan on using triple pane throughout.

Choose a company that you know will support your product with a good warranty and most importantly choose a EXCELLENT installer.

:sharebeer
leftcoaster

Post by leftcoaster »

eagleeyes wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:56 am All

Thanks for reading
We have Sierra pacific casements. 10 years. No issues. Would do again.
Topic Author
eagleeyes

Post by eagleeyes »

Crow Hunter wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:49 am I work in the industry.

Right now we are facing unprecedented issues with sourcing materials and labor on top of higher order intakes than anytime in history.

All of the companies are working extremely hard to reduce lead times but there are serious roadblocks.

That said.

Most of your performance is going to be related to installation. A mediocre window installed correctly will vastly outperform an excellent quality product installed poorly.

Triple pane glass will have less light transmittance than double pane which has less than single pane, but it I have trouble telling which is installed just looking straight through it. I wouldn't let that keep me from buying it personally. When I build my retirement home, I plan on using triple pane throughout.

Choose a company that you know will support your product with a good warranty and most importantly choose a EXCELLENT installer.

:sharebeer
I like the notion of getting triple panes, but both the builder and windows sales people recommended against it. They said the energy savings in climate zone 4, are pretty marginal given the up charge. So if I saved 25k on the triple pane upcharge I can just put into my solar panels and come out ahead.
Topic Author
eagleeyes

Post by eagleeyes »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:01 am
eagleeyes wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:42 pm I floated the idea of triple pane windows to get those impressive U factors of below 0.20. My fear was that these windows often have a lower visible transmittance and the windows looks a little “gray”. Also, The window package for the home is in the range of 120k. So a triple pane up charge would not be trivial. My thought process in not paying the upcharge is that we are going build solar on roof. thus it’s cheaper to add solar panels to reap energy savings rather than triple pane windows upcharge…
I don’t have easy access to the invoice, but I was surprised that the cost for Marvin triple pane was not much higher than double pane. I haven’t noticed a gray cast, but my 70 year old eyes aren’t a good test. We have an entire wall in our bedroom triple glazed; it is comfortable to stand next to them on the coldest winter or hottest summer day.

Yay on solar.

Check out https://greenzerocarbonhome.com/. He favors heat pumps (air sourced, not ground), triple glazing, solar, and insulation. His book focuses on savings (which incidentally is why he favors ASHP rather than GSHP; quicker break even).
Great website. Thanks for passing along
Topic Author
eagleeyes

Post by eagleeyes »

Builder has just asked us to also look at weathershield and Quaker windows. Any thoughts about these windows?