Determining What Card is Best for Me

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
Bigt3142

Determining What Card is Best for Me

Post by Bigt3142 »

I'm just starting a new position in sales for the company I've worked for the past 8 years. I will be traveling extensively using my own credit card and will be reimbursed for the travel. I will fly frequently, use rental cars, and stay at hotels. I have several credit cards and I'm trying to determine which card(s) would be best for my situation. I've used several websites that are supposed to give you recommendations based on how you use your cards, but it seems they are very biased based by who is sponsoring their pages. Does anyone have any suggestions for evaluating this?

Current cards
Delta Platinum (I almost exclusively fly Delta as I'm near a Delta Hub.)
Chase Sapphire Preferred (I just signed up for the 100k points, I'm planning on down grading this after I hit the spend.)
IHG Preferred (I almost exclusively stay at IHG hotels while traveling)
Fidelity Cash Back
Citi Double Cash Back
Amazon Prime Card (Only use with Amazon orders)
US Bank Card
My Credit Union Cash Back Card

I want to use the points for vacations with my family. I'm much more likely to travel using points then with cash back, because I'm cheap and it's a mental thing.

Appreciate any suggestions or tips.
bkmcd1

Re: Determining What Card is Best for Me

Post by bkmcd1 »

Meet the spend for the Sapphire Preferred. Get a new card with a juicy signup bonus. Meet the spend. Repeat ad infinitum.

BTW, you won't be able to downgrade the Sapphire Preferred until you've held it for a year.
RJC

Post by RJC »

bkmcd1 wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:17 pm Meet the spend for the Sapphire Preferred. Get a new card with a juicy signup bonus. Meet the spend. Repeat ad infinitum.

BTW, you won't be able to downgrade the Sapphire Preferred until you've held it for a year.
It's possible to get the card again and again?
samsoes

Post by samsoes »

Far too many cards!

Simplify, simplify, simplify.
"Happiness Is Not My Companion" - Gen. Gouverneur K. Warren. | (Avatar is the statue of Gen. Warren atop Little Round Top @ Gettysburg National Military Park.)
02nz

Post by 02nz »

RJC wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:05 pm
bkmcd1 wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:17 pm Meet the spend for the Sapphire Preferred. Get a new card with a juicy signup bonus. Meet the spend. Repeat ad infinitum.

Some cards you can get again and again, some cards you can even have more than one of at the same time. But there are limits. You cannot get a bonus for any Sapphire card more than once every 48 months. Others are even stricter - Amex limits you to one bonus per product per person's lifetime, for the most part.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

Bigt3142 wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:28 am I'm just starting a new position in sales for the company I've worked for the past 8 years. I will be traveling extensively using my own credit card and will be reimbursed for the travel. I will fly frequently, use rental cars, and stay at hotels. I have several credit cards and I'm trying to determine which card(s) would be best for my situation. I've used several websites that are supposed to give you recommendations based on how you use your cards, but it seems they are very biased based by who is sponsoring their pages. Does anyone have any suggestions for evaluating this?

Current cards
Chase Sapphire Preferred (I just signed up for the 100k points, I'm planning on down grading this after I hit the spend.)
Fidelity Cash Back
Citi Double Cash Back
US Bank Card

I want to use the points for vacations with my family. I'm much more likely to travel using points then with cash back, because I'm cheap and it's a mental thing.

In addition to Sapphire Preferred, I would strongly recommend U.S. Bank Altitude Reserve. The net cost is just $75/year after the travel credit, and the signup is worth $750.
RJC

Post by RJC »

02nz wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:10 pm
Bigt3142 wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:28 am I'm just starting a new position in sales for the company I've worked for the past 8 years. I will be traveling extensively using my own credit card and will be reimbursed for the travel. I will fly frequently, use rental cars, and stay at hotels. I have several credit cards and I'm trying to determine which card(s) would be best for my situation. I've used several websites that are supposed to give you recommendations based on how you use your cards, but it seems they are very biased based by who is sponsoring their pages. Does anyone have any suggestions for evaluating this?

Current cards
Fidelity Cash Back
Citi Double Cash Back
US Bank Card

In addition to Sapphire Preferred, I would strongly recommend U.S. Bank Altitude Reserve. The net cost is just $75/year after the travel credit, and the signup is worth $750.
$400 annual fee? What's the travel credit?
Minty

Post by Minty »

AmEx Platinum for the lounges. Even in the years after the sign-up bonus, other bennies reduce the cost to near zero.
Core Four w/ nominal bonds & TIPS. Refi Rampage: Purchase: 3.875% 30 -> R1 3% 20 -> R2 2.375% 15 -> R3 1.99% 15 -> R4 1.875% 15
02nz

Post by 02nz »

RJC wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:09 am
02nz wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:10 pm

Current cards
Fidelity Cash Back
Citi Double Cash Back
US Bank Card

$400 annual fee? What's the travel credit?
Travel purchases up to $325/year are reimbursed.
MrJedi

Post by MrJedi »

Doctor of Credit is a nice unbiased blog that focuses on this thing. Supposedly they have turned down some sponsorships from some big banks because they have restrictions on what can be posted as a sponsored blog. Sometimes they have referral links but those are clearly disclosed and they are only posted if it matches or beats an offer that doesn't use a referral.

A popular card right now after getting the CSP now is the Citi Premier. 80k sign up bonus (typically 50-60k).

Also for Delta there is a special offer that can pop up during a booking (you don't have to complete the booking) for the Amex Delta Gold. Amex plays games with different offers showing up from different locations or times of day. The best ones are 70k miles + $400 statement credit or 90k miles + $200 statement credit. I think today might be the last day according to the blog.

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/american ... nt-credit/
RJC

Post by RJC »

MrJedi wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:20 am Doctor of Credit is a nice unbiased blog that focuses on this thing. Supposedly they have turned down some sponsorships from some big banks because they have restrictions on what can be posted as a sponsored blog. Sometimes they have referral links but those are clearly disclosed and they are only posted if it matches or beats an offer that doesn't use a referral.

A popular card right now after getting the CSP now is the Citi Premier. 80k sign up bonus (typically 50-60k).

Also for Delta there is a special offer that can pop up during a booking (you don't have to complete the booking) for the Amex Delta Gold. Amex plays games with different offers showing up from different locations or times of day. The best ones are 70k miles + $400 statement credit or 90k miles + $200 statement credit. I think today might be the last day according to the blog.

Just signed up for CSP. Now looking at Citi Premier. Thank you!
anoop

Post by anoop »

That's just way too many cards. I keep only 2. If I want a new card, then one of the existing ones gets cancelled as soon as the new one arrives.
bkmcd1

Post by bkmcd1 »

RJC wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:05 pm
There are rules for how often you can get a card. They are contained in the terms and conditions of the offer. You can get the Chase Sapphire Preferred again when it's been 4 years since your last Sapphire credit card bonus and when you no longer have a Sapphire card.

However, I was talking about getting a different card every time, at least until you become eligible to get the same ones again.
srt7

Post by srt7 »

American Express Platinum.
Taking care of tomorrow while enjoying today.
Topic Author
Bigt3142

Post by Bigt3142 »

Thank you all for the feed back. American Express Platinum is a good option. The best is probably churning sign up bonuses but as was mentioned, I already have a lot of cards.
jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott »

Bigt3142 wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:46 am Thank you all for the feed back. American Express Platinum is a good option. The best is probably churning sign up bonuses but as was mentioned, I already have a lot of cards.
I was going to say, why not get one from each hotel chain, sequentially, to get all the sign up bonuses, plus the ongoing rebates in hotel points for your stays?

But, actually, when I looked at the points you get specifically from using the cards to pay for hotel stays, most are not really that great on an ongoing basis. As I value them, all but one of our six hotel cards effectively gives a rebate of only 3-4% on hotel stays, the other is about 8%. The big points come from just being a member of their rewards clubs.

I have a lot of cards, currently 15 open and spouse has a similar number. Still getting new ones, as long as they keep giving us sign-up bonuses that amount to the equivalent of getting 10-40% rebates on the first $500-3000 in spending.
Topic Author
Bigt3142

Post by Bigt3142 »

Just noticed the Amex Platinum is currently offering 100k points. The annual fee has gone up to $695 but the benefits/credits more than make up for it in my opinion. I'd use the $200 hotel credit, $240 digital entertainment credit, $200 airline fee credit, and $200 uber cash. Sounds like a no brainer to me.
hoffse

Post by hoffse »

AmEx plat for the lounges. The AmEx offers are also pretty good on the plat. I can usually break even on it or make a little money just with the offers, and the lounge access is a nice bonus.

The sapphire preferred/reserve card is pretty good - I keep trying to bring myself to cancel it and haven't been able to do so yet because the chase ecosystem is nice and comes in handy once in awhile. That being said, to make the most of it you need some additional chase cards - like the various freedom cards or an ink card - to enhance your point multiplier. Between my husband and me we have 3 freedom cards, an ink card, and a freedom unlimited card, so we can earn points pretty easily.

My newest (and now best) travel card is the BOA AAA card. It's part of the BOA preferred rewards program and will give 5.25% cash back on all travel purchases, with a higher redemption rate (up to 40% higher) if you redeem the points for a AAA travel voucher. You do have to be a AAA member to apply, but otherwise the card has no fee and no foreign transaction fee. You also have to hold $100K in Merrill or BOA to qualify for the high cash back rate, and while this is a pain and I particularly despise Merrill.... the BOA cash back ecosystem is so good that it's worth the hassle IMO. There are several active threads on this board that will walk you through it. I have found that BOA defines "travel" more broadly than other CC issuers do and will include things like house rentals and local travel agencies that would usually be excluded by Chase, etc. BOA has several other cash cards that will offer this rate for travel, but you are capped at $2500 spend per quarter for those other cards. We can blow through that quickly on travel. My understanding of the AAA card is that it is uncapped. It also offers 3.5% back on groceries, Costco, gas, and drugstore purchases (again, I think it's uncapped). I have just gotten the card so I can't confirm that the multiplier continues after $2500 of quarterly spend, but we are taking two trips between now and the end of September that should collectively cost more than $2500.... so I'll find out soon enough if that's correct.

I know you said no cash back, but a 5.25% cash back (plus a seriously impressive redemption boost for AAA vouchers) is such an amazing redemption rate that none of the other travel cards will hold a candle to it IMO. My husband also travels frequently for work, and we have just moved all of his future travel spend to this card. Yes you can sometimes get better one-off redemptions with miles and points if you book exactly the right thing.... but for family travel where you may be limited to school holidays or you are accommodating the needs of younger kids, cash is king.