Child starting at USF (University South Florida). Retirement option companies suggestions???

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
FarmGeek

Child starting at USF (University South Florida). Retirement option companies suggestions???

Post by FarmGeek »

Son will start working at University of South Florida.

They have retirement plan. But looks like he has to pick an investment company. They seem to want him to contact a person/rep to work with (just makes me worry a little about commissions).

Options include:
AIG
Equitable
TIAA
VOYA

Thanks for any thoughts/suggestions.

I’m still trying to gather information to research to help him decide but thought there might be someone out there with previous experience with Florida retirement option/plans.

Thanks in advance.
mhalley

Re: Child starting at USF (University South Florida). Retirement option companies suggestions???

Post by mhalley »

You can pretty much rule Out the insurance cos. Tiaa and voya can both be reasonable.
ralph124cf

Re: Child starting at USF (University South Florida). Retirement option companies suggestions???

Post by ralph124cf »

I wish that it included Schwab, Fidelity, and Vanguard. Of the list you mentioned, I would prefer TIAA, as the best of a mediocre to bad lot.

Ralph
tnr

Post by tnr »

I work at USF and use Voya. They have an ok list of mutual and index funds to work with. I don’t listen to my Voya rep when he tries to sell something to me.
student

Post by student »

TIAA is fine. USF is a big place, so he will get the best ER for their offerings. For example, 0.17% ER for its index (Russell 3000) annuity. It may even include institutional version, which ER will be competitive to Vanguard. Also TIAA has its unique Traditional (stable value) and Real Estate, which will likely be included in the choices.
Tdubs

Post by Tdubs »

Check on which kind of TIAA traditional they have. I recall that FL colleges had the 3% liquid option--no draw period. A really good option if he has it.
student

Post by student »

I did the research. This is for TIAA at USF.

https://www.tiaa.org/public/tcm/usf/vie ... nId=406814

It has Vanguard institutional Total Market, Bond and International.
Topic Author
FarmGeek

Post by FarmGeek »

student wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:53 pm I did the research. This is for TIAA at USF.

https://www.tiaa.org/public/tcm/usf/vie ... nId=406814

It has Vanguard institutional Total Market, Bond and International.
Thank you everyone for your replies. I’m sure it will help my son with his decisions.