Golden State Stimulus check (California)

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
gobel

Golden State Stimulus check (California)

Post by gobel »

Looks like California has their own stimulus checks coming out soon. Must be a resident of CA, file CA taxes, and have AGI under 75k (hard cutoff) to get $600. If at least one kid, get $1100.

https://www.ftb.ca.gov/about-ftb/newsro ... ss-ii.html

I totally missed hearing about this the first time, this is actually round 2. The first round went to citizens under 30k or non-citizens under 75k (if non-citizen under 30k, they get double). The immigrant advocate websites appear to have promoted it heavily (also because calEITC was available to non-citizens for the first time), but I didn't see much in the regular news (maybe I just ignored it since round I was targeted at low-income, but round II is more "middle class").
tj

Re: Golden State Stimulus check (California)

Post by tj »

gobel wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:22 pm Looks like California has their own stimulus checks coming out soon. Must be a resident of CA, file CA taxes, and have AGI under 75k (hard cutoff) to get $600. If at least one kid, get $1100.

I totally missed hearing about this the first time, this is actually round 2. The first round went to citizens under 30k or non-citizens under 75k (if non-citizen under 30k, they get double). The immigrant advocate websites appear to have promoted it heavily (also because calEITC was available to non-citizens for the first time), but I didn't see much in the regular news (maybe I just ignored it since round I was targeted at low-income, but round II is more "middle class").
I will have been a CA resident from Feb of this year through August of this year. I won't file a return until next April. I guess I get nothing. Oh well.
calwatch

Post by calwatch »

This is going to be very important to seniors who don't usually file California tax returns since their primary income is from Social Security. The threshold for a senior to file, excluding social security and US treasury income, is $24k for a senior over 65 and $49k for a couple over 65. This is quite high and much higher than the federal thresholds of $14k and $27k including taxable Social Security income. My folks are in that category and will need to file a $0 taxable income return to get their $600. (There is no stimulus given to those who declared $0 or negative adjusted gross income, so those seniors who rely completely on Social Security and can't muster up even $1 of interest or dividends are also left out.)
Ron Ronnerson

Post by Ron Ronnerson »

Also worth noting is that AGI must be between $1-$75k in 2020 regardless of filing status. Quick example: A single parent with one child and an AGI of $75k would get $1100 and a married couple with 5 kids and an AGI of $75,001 would get $0.

The governor is saying this stimulus covers 2/3 of Californians and checks should go out in September.

Filing taxes regularly (whether required to or not) and trying to keep AGI low enough to get underneath hard cut-offs (like with this stimulus) and steep phase-outs (like the increased federal child tax credit) seem to be increasingly advantageous these days.

Anyhow, I’m not sure what we’ll spend our $1100 on but will try to do our bit to stimulate the economy and not just hoard the cash.
KeepItSimpleSomehow

Post by KeepItSimpleSomehow »

calwatch wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 1:47 am This is going to be very important to seniors who don't usually file California tax returns since their primary income is from Social Security. The threshold for a senior to file, excluding social security and US treasury income, is $24k for a senior over 65 and $49k for a couple over 65. This is quite high and much higher than the federal thresholds of $14k and $27k including taxable Social Security income. My folks are in that category and will need to file a $0 taxable income return to get their $600. (There is no stimulus given to those who declared $0 or negative adjusted gross income, so those seniors who rely completely on Social Security and can't muster up even $1 of interest or dividends are also left out.)

Using the calculator
https://www.ftb.ca.gov/about-ftb/newsro ... mator.html
IF only interest or dividends of $1 in your example, with no WAGES, then the result after responding YES to AGI (the $1)
then the next step requests: Wages
Did you have wages of $75,000 or less? NO
Payment amount
Under Golden State Stimulus II, you may qualify for a total of: $0
Unfortunately, you do not qualify for the Golden State Stimulus II.

Correct me please if you get a different result. :moneybag
Topic Author
gobel

Post by gobel »

KeepItSimpleSomehow wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:14 pm Did you have wages of $75,000 or less? NO
Payment amount

If you answer NO to that question, then you are saying you have >75k wages so you will not get the stimulus.

I guess this is to filter out those that have more wages but can offset it with TIRA contribs, or stock losses or something (although now I wonder if wages includes 401k contribs or not).
calwatch

Post by calwatch »

gobel wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:35 pm
KeepItSimpleSomehow wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:14 pm Did you have wages of $75,000 or less? NO
Payment amount

If you answer NO to that question, then you are saying you have >75k wages so you will not get the stimulus.

I guess this is to filter out those that have more wages but can offset it with TIRA contribs, or stock losses or something (although now I wonder if wages includes 401k contribs or not).
Wages are W-2 state wages, so is net of 401k, health insurance/cafeteria plan deductions, etc.
I think the $1 requirement is to prevent folks who have Net Operating Losses from getting the stimulus. Most of these are business owners who presumably have enough assets such that they can lose money.
Topic Author
gobel

Post by gobel »

calwatch wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:38 pm
Payment amount

Wages are W-2 state wages, so is net of 401k, health insurance/cafeteria plan deductions, etc.
I think the $1 requirement is to prevent folks who have Net Operating Losses from getting the stimulus. Most of these are business owners who presumably have enough assets such that they can lose money.
yeah, agree this is most likely right, but given that they are explicitly handling a case of 80k wages with 6k TIRA = $0 stimulus, it does make me wonder why 90k gross wages with 19k to 401k is ok.
calwatch

Post by calwatch »

The law (SB 139) defines "wages" as what is paid for unemployment insurance. In practice that corresponds with Line 12 of Form 540, which is the sum of Box 16 on the W-2.

8150.2. (a) The Controller shall make a one-time Golden State Stimulus II tax refund payment to each qualified recipient in an amount determined pursuant to subdivision (c), but not to exceed one thousand one hundred dollars ($1,100). A qualified recipient shall not receive more than one payment of the applicable amount. The payment may be made in the form and manner determined by the Franchise Tax Board.
(b) (1) For purposes of this section, “qualified recipient” means an individual who meets all of the following criteria:
(A) Is an individual who filed a California individual income tax return on or before October 15, 2021, except as provided in paragraph (2), for the taxable year beginning on or after January 1, 2020, and before January 1, 2021.
(B) Is a California resident, as defined by Section 17014 of the Revenue and Taxation Code, for more than one-half of the taxable year beginning on or after January 1, 2020, and before January 1, 2021, and on the date the Controller issues the rebate pursuant to subdivision (a).
(C) Cannot be claimed as a dependent by another taxpayer.
(D) Had California adjusted gross income of one dollar ($1) or more, but not more than seventy-five thousand dollars ($75,000), or not more than thirty-seven thousand five hundred dollars ($37,500) in the case of a married individual filing separately, as reported on the return described in subparagraph (A).
(E) Had wages subject to withholding under Division 6 (commencing with Section 13000) of the Unemployment Insurance Code of seventy-five thousand dollars ($75,000) or less, or thirty-seven thousand five hundred dollars ($37,500) or less in the case of a married individual filing separately, as reported on the return described in subparagraph (A).

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/face ... 20220SB139
KeepItSimpleSomehow

Post by KeepItSimpleSomehow »

Payment amount

His example was Social Security income only; NO WAGES (agree no wages is is less than $75K) but $0 wages would be a NO reply. The $1 interest or dividends would not satisfy WAGES.

Another article:
https://calmatters.org/california-divid ... den-state/

QUOTE: The administration has clarified that only Californians with earned income from work in 2020 can qualify for the Golden State Stimulus payments
Topic Author
gobel

Post by gobel »

KeepItSimpleSomehow wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:40 pm

His example was Social Security income only; NO WAGES (agree no wages is is less than $75K) but $0 wages would be a NO reply. The $1 interest or dividends would not satisfy WAGES.

Another article:
https://calmatters.org/california-divid ... den-state/

QUOTE: The administration has clarified that only Californians with earned income from work in 2020 can qualify for the Golden State Stimulus payments
If you have $0 wages, you would answer YES, then if everything else is ok, the calc says you get the stimulus. Are you reading it backwards? But I don't know why the article says what it says!
calwatch

Post by calwatch »

gobel wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:53 pm
KeepItSimpleSomehow wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:40 pm QUOTE: The administration has clarified that only Californians with earned income from work in 2020 can qualify for the Golden State Stimulus payments
If you have $0 wages, you would answer YES, then if everything else is ok, the calc says you get the stimulus. Are you reading it backwards? But I don't know why the article says what it says!
That is not in the law, which I quoted above. SB 139 clearly states that the criteria is $1 to $75,000 in AGI and under $75,000 in wages. Under $75,000 can equal zero. Also, "wages" under this definition does not include self employment income, as self employed people do not pay unemployment insurance. The interpretation that those with $0 in wages are ineligible for the stimulus would have a perverse impact on gig workers and small business owners with $0 in W-2 income. And nowhere in the law is the term "earned income" ever used.

For Golden State Stimulus I, it was based on the California Earned Income Tax Credit which did require at least $1 in earned income, but also had a cap of $30,000 AGI; or for those who filed with individual tax identification numbers and thus therefore ineligible for the Federal stimulus payment, since they didn't have legal authorization to work in the US.
calwatch

Post by calwatch »

KeepItSimpleSomehow wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:40 pm QUOTE: The administration has clarified that only Californians with earned income from work in 2020 can qualify for the Golden State Stimulus payments
This has been clarified to not be the case, in accordance with the law.
https://www.ftb.ca.gov/about-ftb/newsro ... /help.html

If you receive Social Security

You may be wondering whether or not you qualify for GSS II if you receive Social Security income. Social Security income is not included in CA AGI. However, if you have $1 or more of CA AGI (up to $75,000), you may qualify for GSS II.

If Social Security is your only form of income, you will not receive a payment. However, some people who receive Social Security income may qualify because they receive other income.

Scenario: Judy receives $2,700 a month in Social Security income and has a savings account. When she files her 2020 income tax return, she reports $32,400 of Social Security income and $12.37 of taxable interest from her savings account. Since the taxable interest counts toward her CA AGI, she qualifies for the stimulus payment if she meets all other requirements of GSS II.

Review CA Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) Qualification for a list of common types of income.

Of course, millions of seniors are in this scenario, and need to be informed to file a basic tax return to claim their money. Even $1 in CD or bank interest would qualify for the stimulus check, as would reporting self employment income that would normally be ignored because it fell under the $400 threshold.
calwatch

Post by calwatch »

Another article about retirees and people on disability griping they were not included in the stimulus check. To the disabled woman who never got her $600 after filing, no one got their $600 from Golden State Stimulus II. And I suspect some of them might need to be helped to go through their bank statements to find the 51 cents of interest, or the $20 or $40 they received to give someone a ride or pick up their neighbor's mail, that would qualify them for the check and report it. However, it may be intimidating to file a tax return for $1 in income and all of the free tax preparation services have shut down for the season.

https://calmatters.org/projects/newsom- ... -payments/
Topic Author
gobel

Post by gobel »

I'm pretty certain that millions of checks will suddenly show up in the next 2 weeks, and then be constantly in the news headlines.

It's sad that that one woman just wants to buy a screen door for the heat, vs we have people here with 1m in the bank that will get it.
Ron Ronnerson

Post by Ron Ronnerson »

gobel wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:42 pm I'm pretty certain that millions of checks will suddenly show up in the next 2 weeks, and then be constantly in the news headlines.

It's sad that that one woman just wants to buy a screen door for the heat, vs we have people here with 1m in the bank that will get it.
The penalty for being married is pretty severe and so is the fact that there is a cliff with this stimulus. Yet I haven’t heard much criticism about that. A single person with an AGI of $75k gets money yet a family with a bunch of kids making a dollar more get nothing. I think the state is just trying to quickly send out money and are doing this without much deep thinking about fairness. Supposedly two-thirds of people in the state will still get something. It shows that sometimes these things are enacted without much consideration to the details and also that most people living in California are low to medium income. Also, if you’re married or make a dollar too much, it could literally cost you.

By the way, the government can’t look at net worth very easily in deciding who to send checks to. I have a feeling there aren’t too many people with over a $1m in the bank who have income under $75k. And if they do, perhaps they limited their spending (made sacrifices) in order to save that much. In the end, we’re never going to have something that seems quite right to everyone, though this stimulus’ design in terms of who qualifies seems particularly odd.
calwatch

Post by calwatch »

Checks will be going out later this week for those who didn't input in direct deposit information, as well as those who filed zero refund tax returns just to claim the stimulus (since they received at least $1 in adjusted gross income).

https://fox40.com/news/california-conne ... get-yours/

Again, this is a reminder to inform those you know who normally don't file California income tax returns due to low income, to file this one time and claim a stimulus. Under the law, with a very limited exception of those who applied for a taxpayer identification number but still haven't received it, the stimulus checks cannot be issued if a tax return isn't filed by October 15. And note that only $1 of income qualifies - for a senior normally receiving Social Security or someone receiving SS Disability, this could be as simple as $1 in bank interest or the $20 someone gave to pick up the neighbor's mail.
Ron Ronnerson

Post by Ron Ronnerson »

We just got our check for $1100 in the mail today. It took a bit longer than I would have thought but it's nice to have it in time for the upcoming holidays. I think California is projecting another large budget surplus again for next year so maybe there will be more checks sent out in the future.
calwatch

Post by calwatch »

The "Middle Class Tax Refund" was passed and is essentially the second round of this stimulus. This was the compromise after the governor originally wanted to give a per car rebate check for gas prices and the legislature wanted to provide a refund based on income. I consider it the second round because it is only given to those who filed a 2020 tax return by October 15, 2021, either full year or part year resident for more than six months. This was the same rules as the Golden State Stimulus. Residents of California who moved in after 2020, as well as those who did not file income taxes because of lack of income, don't qualify. However, many people did file $0 tax due income tax returns in 2021 to get the Golden State Stimulus and they will receive this payment as well. New to this round, is that people with Net Operating Losses will also receive the payment, as they were excluded previously due to the requirement to have $1 in income.

https://www.ftb.ca.gov/about-ftb/newsro ... anner_MCTR

Joint returns
CA AGI reported on your 2020 tax return Payment with dependent Payment without dependent
$150,000 or less $1050 $700
$150,001 to $250,000 $750 $500
$250,001 to $500,000 $600 $400
Head of Household or surviving spouse
CA AGI reported on your 2020 tax return Payment with dependent Payment without dependent
$150,000 or less $700 $350
$150,001 to $250,000 $500 $250
$250,001 to $500,000 $400 $200
Other individuals
$75,000 or less $700 $350
$75,001 to $125,000 $500 $250
$125,001 to $250,000 $400 $200
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I merged MoleMan1349's thread into the ongoing discussion.

(Thanks to the member who reported the post and provided a link to this thread.)
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Hyperchicken

Post by Hyperchicken »

Yes, let's not mix up things.

1) Golden State Stimulus
2) Middle Class Tax Refund

Two entirely separate subjects.
calwatch

Post by calwatch »

Hyperchicken wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 12:42 pm Yes, let's not mix up things.

1) Golden State Stimulus

The basic qualification - to file a 2020 tax return by October 15, 2021 and resident in California for a majority of 2020 - is the same for both. The income criteria differs, in that some people with $0 income or over $75,000 will get something. But the same year's income (2020) is used and so I look at it as a second (or technically third) round of the original stimulus.
jarjarM

Post by jarjarM »

Hyperchicken wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 12:42 pm Yes, let's not mix up things.

1) Golden State Stimulus

Yup, not sure why the thread was merged since they're 2 different stimulus and income requirement is different (though base income year is the same, which is weird too). Either way, my family won't get any so I have no qualm in this :annoyed
newacct

Post by newacct »

Does anyone know how it would be handled if a California resident filed jointly with a California nonresident?
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

LadyGeek wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 8:47 pm I merged MoleMan1349's thread into the ongoing discussion.

(Thanks to the member who reported the post and provided a link to this thread.)
Correction. The threads should not have been merged. I split the thread back into two separate discussions. New California Middle Class Tax Refund

Sorry about that.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Bogle101

Post by Bogle101 »

I had to do a double take when I read the OP.

Is that true? Is that even legal?

California is giving tax payer money to non-US citizens? Does that mean foreign nationals who pay taxes on their W-2 income? Or does that mean illegal immigrants can get tax payer funds they didn’t contribute to?
40% Extended Market | 40% S&P 500 | 10% REIT | 5% State Muni Bond | 5% Cash
calwatch

Post by calwatch »

Bogle101 wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 5:58 pm I had to do a double take when I read the OP.

California is giving tax payer money to non-US citizens? Does that mean foreign nationals who pay taxes on their W-2 income? Or does that mean illegal immigrants can get tax payer funds they didn’t contribute to?
There are people who have Individual Taxpayer Identification Numbers that pay taxes. They may not have legal authorization to get hired in the United States, but they still pay taxes when they work. An example might be a graduate student on a F-1 student visa who tutors high school kids on the side. By law, they have to pay taxes on their income, but did not receive the Federal stimulus. The purpose of the Golden State Stimulus I for ITIN holders was to try to backfill this population.
Bogle101

Post by Bogle101 »

calwatch wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 6:15 pm
Bogle101 wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 5:58 pm I had to do a double take when I read the OP.

There are people who have Individual Taxpayer Identification Numbers that pay taxes. They may not have legal authorization to get hired in the United States, but they still pay taxes when they work. An example might be a graduate student on a F-1 student visa who tutors high school kids on the side. By law, they have to pay taxes on their income, but did not receive the Federal stimulus. The purpose of the Golden State Stimulus I for ITIN holders was to try to backfill this population.
[Political comment removed by admin LadyGeek]
40% Extended Market | 40% S&P 500 | 10% REIT | 5% State Muni Bond | 5% Cash
Beensabu

Post by Beensabu »

Did you know that apparently 50-75% of undocumented immigrants pay taxes? They even pay into social security to the tune of several billion dollars a year. Go figure.

Anyway, take it up with the FTB if you have an issue. This is not the place.
"The only thing that makes life possible is permanent, intolerable uncertainty; not knowing what comes next." ~Ursula LeGuin
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

As reminder, political / political policy comments are off-topic. See: Politics and Religion
In order to avoid the inevitable frictions that arise from these topics, political or religious posts and comments are prohibited.
And: Non-actionable (Trolling) Topics
If readers can't do anything with the content of a topic other than argue about it, it does not belong here. Examples include:
  • US or world economic, political, tax, health care and climate policies
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

While I haven't qualified for one penny of it, the poker games got better after each round of stimulus. That was pretty stimulating.
gavinsiu

Post by gavinsiu »

Hi, for the Golden State Stimulus 2, you only get it if you have a dependent? If you are just living by yourself, you do not get the stimulus 2?
Ron Ronnerson

Post by Ron Ronnerson »

gavinsiu wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 1:03 am Hi, for the Golden State Stimulus 2, you only get it if you have a dependent? If you are just living by yourself, you do not get the stimulus 2?
I believe it depends on if the person qualified for Golden State Stimulus I. Check out the link below and scroll down to the section “What You May Receive.”
gavinsiu

Post by gavinsiu »

Ron Ronnerson wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 1:19 am I believe it depends on if the person qualified for Golden State Stimulus I. Check out the link below and scroll down to the section “What You May Receive.”
I did read that, the language is a bit confusing, but I think I figured it out. I thought the $600 was GSS I, but it's actually GSS II.

GSS I is only received if you qualified for CALEITC, which she does not.
GSS II is issue if you don't qualified for GSI II and earn less than $75K.

I see that in Dec of last year, she deposited $600, which sound about right for GSS II. She neglected to tell me this probably because she can't tell the difference between state and federal tax agency.