When did (do) you increase your spending?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
delamer

Re: When did (do) you increase your spending?

Post by delamer »

hvaclorax wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:43 am Delamer,
The point of my question is increasing spending leaves a smaller TDA so there is a minimum TDA. A TDA below which increases in discretionary would leave basic needs not met. Further, above 2million TDA where we leave too much to our heirs? Say, 2million on the bottom and 3million or something on the top just to guess. Near to my situation.
In this case above 3million is fair game for meeting all those wants we’ve put off when we were young.
So, “Do you increase spending” is the original question. My crystal ball goes dark here. Lots of variables/unknowns in the future. Certainly stock market risk is one.
Respectfully HVAC
I thought you could meet your basic needs without withdrawing from your portfolio? Or did I misunderstand your original comment?

(BTW, you can reply to my post by clicking on the quotation mark in the upper right.)
One thing that humbles me deeply is to see that human genius has its limits while human stupidity does not. - Alexandre Dumas, fils
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

I spent almost twice as much in my 30s as I do now in my 50s.
hvaclorax

Post by hvaclorax »

delamer wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:54 pm
The point of my question is increasing spending leaves a smaller TDA so there is a minimum TDA. A TDA below which increases in discretionary would leave basic needs not met. Further, above 2million TDA where we leave too much to our heirs? Say, 2million on the bottom and 3million or something on the top just to guess. Near to my situation.
In this case above 3million is fair game for meeting all those wants we’ve put off when we were young.
So, “Do you increase spending” is the original question. My crystal ball goes dark here. Lots of variables/unknowns in the future. Certainly stock market risk is one.
Respectfully HVAC
I thought you could meet your basic needs without withdrawing from your portfolio? Or did I misunderstand your original comment?

(BTW, you can reply to my post by clicking on the quotation mark in the upper right.)
Maximum and minimum. Not my situation where minimum withdrawal of TDA is zero. Pointing out, where I don’t see previous mention, increasing is hard without first defining minimum TDA. Personal and national, possibly international events make the lower limit somewhat elusive.
If mentioned previously I’m sorry.
HVAC
hvaclorax

Post by hvaclorax »

hvaclorax wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:06 pm
delamer wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:54 pm
Respectfully HVAC

Maximum and minimum. Not my situation where minimum withdrawal of TDA is zero. Pointing out, where I don’t see previous mention, increasing is hard without first defining minimum TDA. Personal and national, possibly international events make the lower limit somewhat elusive.
If mentioned previously I’m sorry.
HVAC
To clarify:
TDA minimum: mine is zero.
TDA max: mine is a about 2m.
Would not want to be at TDA zero. No fun.