Tax Return Not Processed?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
RosanneR

Tax Return Not Processed?

Post by RosanneR »

Hello everyone,

I mailed my 2020 joint tax return on 2/21/2021. Yes, I still do everything manually. But I do have an IRS account where I keep checking to see if my return has been processed and it has not.

I did not owe any additional money at the time of filing nor am I owed a refund. I pay Estimated taxes quarterly during the year since my husband and I are retired and we have been doing Roth Conversions. Do I need to be concerned that my return was not received. Should I send another copy. Sadly, I learned that I should have sent it Certified Mail, which I did not think of at the time.

Any suggestions would be appreciated,

Sincerely,

Rosanne Reynolds
techiegirl

Re: Tax Return Not Processed?

Post by techiegirl »

My 2020 tax return was e-filed and accepted in April. It is still showing as not processed.
SnowBog

Post by SnowBog »

I'm in a similar boat (although I normal efile, but I couldn't this year).

But from what I've seen in other threads and places, the IRS is horribly backlogged. Like months and months behind, especially for paper returns.

Since you don't owe anything, I wouldn't be overly concerned, as you wouldn't owe any penalties. Assuming you keep a copy for your records, you could always refile if they somehow lost your return and needed it.

Myself, I intentionally overpaid to get $5k as a refund in I Bonds - not realizing it would take months until I got that refund. (And who knows if they'll still issue I Bonds if it doesn't get processed say until 2022...) :oops:
Topic Author
RosanneR

Post by RosanneR »

Thanks very much.
SnowBog

Post by SnowBog »

Just an update, I have received both my electronic refund and my I Bonds.

I think I filled slightly before you, so in theory you might get your return soon. (Although maybe there's some regional differences on how long it's taking to process.). But there might be hope that you don't need to wait much longer...
HoosierMike

Post by HoosierMike »

I'm in the same boat.
- eFiled via TurboTax back on 15 March 21
- IRS accepted return on 16 March 21
- Expected refund NLT 5 April 21
- As of today, 27 July 21, nothing, nada, zero
- Nothing from IRS
- "Refund Status" at IRS2Go site continues to show "Your tax return is still being processed....."
- I did contact my US senator (Todd Young) and they did at least confirm that IRS is woefully falling behind on my (and others) tax returns. Not too surprising with all the Pandemic and federal stimulus actions the IRS has to handle, so.....

I am now thinking I will have to claim my 2020 refund as a "Prepay of 2021" taxes and see what happens next year :annoyed
SnowBog

Post by SnowBog »

Again, might be regional differences... But I filed by mail in IIRC mid-Feburary, just recently received refund... So hopefully the backlog is getting smaller..
River in Sight

Post by River in Sight »

I could not get my return to be accepted online so I filed by mail mid-April, and sent in the $4k I owed just before the mid-May deadline. The check was cashed promptly but the return itself has not been processed.
old medic

Post by old medic »

Our Bank filed our Tax, refund from State, owed the feds. mailed a check in Feb and STILL not cleared the bank...
But did get a letter from IRS about non payment....So we paid about $100 more electronically and cancelled the check...
bhwabeck3533

Post by bhwabeck3533 »

techiegirl wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:12 pm My 2020 tax return was e-filed and accepted in April. It is still showing as not processed.
Any update on your return? Anyone else on the forum still waiting? My son has been waiting patiently.

I prepared and e-filed my son's return in March (I do volunteer tax preparation) and feel somewhat responsible for the delay. I check the IRS "Where's My Refund" regularly. Our site volunteer leader said most of the unprocessed returns we handled include a "missing" stimulus check which the taxpayer is filing for on their return. Anyone in this boat?
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

old medic wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:24 am Our Bank filed our Tax, refund from State, owed the feds. mailed a check in Feb and STILL not cleared the bank...
But did get a letter from IRS about non payment....So we paid about $100 more electronically and cancelled the check...
You should consider using one of the three ways to pay the IRS online.

https://www.irs.gov/payments/direct-pay

https://www.eftps.gov/eftps/

You can also use the IRS app, IRS2Go.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, EV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.
iceport

Post by iceport »

bhwabeck3533 wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:20 am
techiegirl wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:12 pm My 2020 tax return was e-filed and accepted in April. It is still showing as not processed.
Any update on your return? Anyone else on the forum still waiting? My son has been waiting patiently.

I prepared and e-filed my son's return in March (I do volunteer tax preparation) and feel somewhat responsible for the delay. I check the IRS "Where's My Refund" regularly. Our site volunteer leader said most of the unprocessed returns we handled include a "missing" stimulus check which the taxpayer is filing for on their return. Anyone in this boat?
Yes! I am in this boat! So glad you posted, bhwabeck3533.

I mailed my paper return to the IRS (in Ogden, UT, in case that matters) on May 15, two days before the May 17 deadline, expecting a roughly $3k refund. That's 11 weeks ago now. There's no acknowledgement at the IRS "Where's My Refund" at all yet.

I've done this for many, many years now, and have never had any delay like this. Almost like clockwork, the refund status would indicate the receipt of the return in about 2-3 weeks, and the check would show up in the mailbox at about 5 or 6 weeks.

However, it's interesting to see your comment about claiming a stimulus payment. Based on the prior year (2019), the IRS sent me a small check in May, 2020 for the first Economic Impact Payment, but nothing for the second payment. However, 2019 included a Roth conversion that didn't happen in 2020. So as it turned out, I was due the balance of the first payment, and the full second payment.

So yes, I am claiming almost $1500 on Line 30 for the "Recovery rebate credit." Is that the boat your son is in, too?
"Discipline matters more than allocation.” |—| "In finance, if you’re certain of anything, you’re out of your mind." ─William Bernstein
Asyouwish

Post by Asyouwish »

Yes, delays this year, unlike years past.

https://www.taxpayeradvocate.irs.gov/ne ... ax-return/

The recovery rebate has caused millions of returns to be pulled for manual review. Many taxpayers answered the questions wrong in their software causing manual review and corrections. So chances are if you have anything on line 30, your return will be reviewed.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/06/30/the-irs ... -2021.html
DetroitRick

Post by DetroitRick »

I'm in the same boat as many others. Although I e-filed (on 4/10). Still showing it's being processed. Got sick of calling, and it's probably fruitless anyway, so I'm waiting.

I did use my IRS account to review income transcripts (complete, everything matches). And no recovery rebate due. And no errors that I can find on my return. So who knows? I'll wait another month before trying anything further.

My neighbor is a CPA in tax practice and remarked about a small number of extremely long processing times too with her filings. Seemingly random, but we can't say for sure.

I may have to give the IRS a poor review on Yelp :sharebeer

Update: 8/11. Tax return processing was completed today and refund will be issued in two days (including interest). Looking at my transcript today, there were no issues, no corrections, no requests for info. Just approximately 120 days processing time. Refund includes $4.79 interest on $500 refund.
Last edited by DetroitRick on Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
bhsince87

Post by bhsince87 »

I'm still waiting on a 2019 refund of $9k AND a 2020 refund of $6k...... It's very frustrating.
Time is what we want most, but what we use worst. William Penn
rakamaka

Post by rakamaka »

Filed via turbotax online APR 10th.
Still being processed on Aug 2
Hope IRS will pay me interest(or penalty?) on delayed refunds.
bhsince87

Post by bhsince87 »

rakamaka wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:01 am Filed via turbotax online APR 10th.
Still being processed on Aug 2
Hope IRS will pay me interest(or penalty?) on delayed refunds.
They are supposed to pay 3%, compounded daily. If so, that's not a bad consolation prize.
nyone

Post by nyone »

Couldn’t get my efile return approved with H&R Block software so mailed it in. IRS website doesn’t even show it received it. I called IRS yesterday who said the mail room is short staffed and backed up. I laughed when she told me to check in weeks.
Newaygo

Post by Newaygo »

I mailed my tax return the first week of April. Today it showed up in my IRS Individual Tax Account as having been processed. Even though I sent it registered mail, it is a relief knowing that it has been processed. I kept thinking what if it gets lost in the system? At the same time, it is near impossible to talk to a live person. One less thing to worry about.
old medic

Post by old medic »

RickBoglehead wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:26 am You should consider using one of the three ways to pay the IRS online.
Thanks Rick...
We did the IRS Pay Direct... and will from now on.
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

I'm still waiting for a $6 refund. I can see, online, that they did get my tax return. But when I put in to "Where's My Refund", it says they are still processing. I generally try to have a small refund or amount due, as my proof that they got it (cancelled check or refund). I'm glad, however, that I don't have a large refund, because who knows when they'll process. Anyone else still waiting for a refund?
Nyc10036

Post by Nyc10036 »

Leesbro63 wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 8:19 am Anyone else still waiting for a refund?
Yep.
I mailed my tax return in early April.

I do know that they received it because when I log into my IRS account at irs.gov, it appears to know my refund amount down to the penny.
However, the return still has not been processed.
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

Nyc10036 wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:11 am
Leesbro63 wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 8:19 am Anyone else still waiting for a refund?
Yep.
I mailed my tax return in early April.

I do know that they received it because when I log into my IRS account at irs.gov, it appears to know my refund amount down to the penny.
However, the return still has not been processed.
Thanks for that good point of information. It's odd that the return gets logged into their system...especially since you mailed yours (mine was Efiled), yet the refund is delayed. Two other family members got refunds quickly. My return is more complicated...I suspect there's some sort of thing that requires either additional computer processing or even manual eyeballs for more complicated returns. I dunno. But thank you for helping me confirm that my best course of action is to continue to wait. For my $6! :)
Hiker-Biker

1040X ? Re: Tax Return Not Processed?

Post by Hiker-Biker »

Does the IRS site show receipt of 1040X filings? I submitted two 1040Xs for 2018 and 2019 and the website doesn't mention they were received. My 2020 return was processed I think since my Record of Transcript has all the figures in it.

TIA.

H-B
bhsince87

Post by bhsince87 »

Leesbro63 wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 8:19 am I'm still waiting for a $6 refund. I can see, online, that they did get my tax return. But when I put in to "Where's My Refund", it says they are still processing. I generally try to have a small refund or amount due, as my proof that they got it (cancelled check or refund). I'm glad, however, that I don't have a large refund, because who knows when they'll process. Anyone else still waiting for a refund?
Still waiting on $9000 refund for 2019 and $6000 for 2020. Both were paper filed.
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

bhsince87 wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 2:26 pm
Leesbro63 wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 8:19 am I'm still waiting for a $6 refund. I can see, online, that they did get my tax return. But when I put in to "Where's My Refund", it says they are still processing. I generally try to have a small refund or amount due, as my proof that they got it (cancelled check or refund). I'm glad, however, that I don't have a large refund, because who knows when they'll process. Anyone else still waiting for a refund?
Still waiting on $9000 refund for 2019 and $6000 for 2020. Both were paper filed.
I will be VERY careful to not have large refunds due me if at all possible. I've heard other horror stories like this.
an_asker

Post by an_asker »

Me too. I was starting to wonder if we were going to be the last ones whose returns were gonna be processed for tax year 2020!! :oops:

Nice to know there is company! :sharebeer
an_asker

Post by an_asker »

bhsince87 wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:47 pm

I'm still waiting on a 2019 refund of $9k AND a 2020 refund of $6k...... It's very frustrating.
Are you saying your taxes filed in middle of 2020 have not yet been processed?!! That's horrible!!
bhsince87

Post by bhsince87 »

an_asker wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 4:37 pm
bhsince87 wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:47 pm

Are you saying your taxes filed in middle of 2020 have not yet been processed?!! That's horrible!!
Yep. Although technically, it is "still being processed".
bhsince87

Post by bhsince87 »

Leesbro63 wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 4:24 pm
bhsince87 wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 2:26 pm
I will be VERY careful to not have large refunds due me if at all possible. I've heard other horror stories like this.

It's the first time in 20+ years I've had a refund over $100. Usually we owe $500-1000.

But in 2019, I got a big lump sum severance/retirement package, and it was withheld at some ridiculous rate, by law.

And in 2020, we filed for all of our stimulus money, which we didn't qualify for under 2019 income.

I'm sure both circumstances are unusual, so I'm not surprised by the delays. I just hope I'm earning the 3% on them that I am supposedly due.
an_asker

Post by an_asker »

Does the fact that our tax returns for 2020 have not yet been processed have anything to do with us not getting the monthly child tax credit payments?

I was wondering if we are making too much money ... though I am pretty sure we are not, because a close relative who definitely makes more (household) income than us told me a couple of weeks ago that they were receiving those tax credit payments. For the record, in Boglehead terms we make just about more than poverty level our household income put us under the Roth Income limits for 2020 and we are otherwise eligible for these payments (household includes a child under 17).

Are any of you on this thread receiving the payments?
bhwabeck3533

Post by bhwabeck3533 »

[quote=bhwabeck3533 post_id=6153935

[/quote]
bhwabeck3533

Post by bhwabeck3533 »

UPDATE:
My son's return was processed and his refund direct deposit received on August 21. He received $72 more than what was filed for. I asked to see a copy of his return if the IRS sends a revised version. I assume the extra $ is interest. Maybe the logjam is breaking?
bhwabeck3533

Post by bhwabeck3533 »

bhwabeck3533 wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:13 am [quote=bhwabeck3533 post_id=6153935

[/quote]

How do I delete this post? I thought I knew how.....
fuddbogle

Post by fuddbogle »

My daughter's (college age) tax refund was just deposited yesterday. About $300 more than was on the tax submission along with an additional and separate $1400 dollar, I'm guessing for some Covid thing. She filed on her own (I prepared via turbotax) this year as I didn't claim her to qualify for in-state tuition.
iceport

Post by iceport »

bhwabeck3533 wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:19 am

UPDATE:
My son's return was processed and his refund direct deposit received on August 21. He received $72 more than what was filed for. I asked to see a copy of his return if the IRS sends a revised version. I assume the extra $ is interest. Maybe the logjam is breaking?
Great! Congrats!

And thank you for reporting back. I responded to your earlier post, but still see no movement on my return. But I filed much later than you. So this does give me some hope! :beer

(BTW, I think after a post has been followed by a subsequent post, it can no longer be deleted outright. That's why you see folks just edit posts they want to delete, and they delete the content and replace it with "<deleted>" or similar to indicate the intent.)
"Discipline matters more than allocation.” |—| "In finance, if you’re certain of anything, you’re out of your mind." ─William Bernstein
AerialWombat

Post by AerialWombat »

deleted
Last edited by AerialWombat on Sat Feb 05, 2022 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This post is a work of fiction. Any similarity to real financial advice is purely coincidental.
iceport

Post by iceport »

AerialWombat wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:01 am As indicated elsewhere in this thread, the best advice I could offer is to manage your tax affairs in such a manner as to not be owed a large refund when you file. For most wage earners, this is fairly simple to do.
Oh, I'm not worried about getting paid eventually. I'm just not liking the hassle of having to bird-dog the fate of the return. I still prefer to get a refund than owe anything. It acts sort of as my "receipt," since I have not yet gained online access to my IRS "account." I like the certainty of knowing that not only did they receive everything they needed from me, but they actually agree with my numbers. (And if I'm late in filing by virtue of extenuating circumstances, there are no real consequences.)
PaunchyPirate

Post by PaunchyPirate »

My mom's return was filed by US Mail in late February. It was missing in action until about 3 weeks ago when the IRS' "Where's my refund" website indicated it was received and "in process". As of this morning, that website still says the same.

However, in today's mail, she received a CP12 letter from the IRS dated 3 days ago indicating her refund is on the way (4-6 weeks) and is $1200 + interest more than we were expecting. The letter indicated her Recovery Rebate Credit amount was not properly calculated on the return so they had adjusted it upward by $1200.

However, we're still puzzled because she actually received the $1200 recovery credit in May of 2020. I just double checked and see it credited to her bank account via direct deposit. When we filed the return, we added in the second recovery credit of $600 because she had not been paid it yet. So that's now properly been paid too, once we get the refund. The way it is looking, it seems like they are going to give her 2 of the $1200 credits. Her income is low enough that no prorations apply, so this is not the 3rd credit of $1400.

So, she is still due the $1400 credit given in 2021. It will be interesting to see what happens with it. I won't be at all surprised to see it credited to her shortly, since it seems they are still automatically doing catchups on that credit when they late process 2020 returns. I won't worry too much about it since they are giving her the extra $1200. But I guess if we don't get it automatically, we will request the final $1400 on her 2021 taxes. I'll check her online IRS in a day or two to see what it says about all this in a few days when I go visit her.

Oh, IRS. What a troubled agency we have let you become.
MP123

Post by MP123 »

Bumping this thread to say my 2020 return which was paper filed in mid-April of 2021 has finally been processed according to the IRS.gov site. It must have been in the last week or so.
iceport

Post by iceport »

WooooooHooooooo!!! It got there!!!

Hot off the press:

At least now I know they received it. I can wait for the refund.

Almost 16 weeks... May 15 to September 2

:? :|
samsoes

Post by samsoes »

HoosierMike wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:19 am - Expected refund NLT 5 April 21
What's an NLT refund?
"Happiness Is Not My Companion" - Gen. Gouverneur K. Warren. | (Avatar is the statue of Gen. Warren atop Little Round Top @ Gettysburg National Military Park.)
annebert

Post by annebert »

NLT = No Later Than