Medicare with Employer High Deductible Plan

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
mtnman125

Medicare with Employer High Deductible Plan

Post by mtnman125 »

Though not even close to 65, I am eligible for Medicare due to End Stage Renal Disease.

My current employer insurance is a HDHP w/HSA- $5k Deductible, $7k Max OOP- we currently max the family HSA through payroll deductions.

I'm trying to get some solid information on the coordination of benefits before open enrollment this year to find the best cost/coverage for my self, wife and daughter.

The insurance coordinator at my dialysis clinic seems to think that if I enroll in Medicare, as secondary insurer- Medicare would cover my deductible. Is that true? We are "high income", so my Medicare plan B premiums would be more expensive than HDHP deductible.

I understand I'd no longer be able to contribute to an HSA directly, but my wife could open and fund under her name. Since that wouldn't be via payroll deduction- is there any way to claw back the FICA paid, say at tax time?

Any other options I should consider?
AUH2O

Re: Medicare with Employer High Deductible Plan

Post by AUH2O »

Spouse in this situation about 3 years ago. Had employer insurance, although not a High Deductible Plan. Enrolled in Medicare on advice of dialysis clinic finance representative, presumably to cover deductible and OOP expenses. However, clinic must have accepted payment from employer insurance as full payment, Medicare was never billed. We were not subject to IRMAA. YMMV. PM me if you'd like to know more.
Metsfan91

Re: Medicare with Employer High Deductible Plan

Post by Metsfan91 »

mtnman125 wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:40 am Though not even close to 65, I am eligible for Medicare due to End Stage Renal Disease.

My current employer insurance is a HDHP w/HSA- $5k Deductible, $7k Max OOP- we currently max the family HSA through payroll deductions.

I'm trying to get some solid information on the coordination of benefits before open enrollment this year to find the best cost/coverage for my self, wife and daughter.

The insurance coordinator at my dialysis clinic seems to think that if I enroll in Medicare, as secondary insurer- Medicare would cover my deductible. Is that true? We are "high income", so my Medicare plan B premiums would be more expensive than HDHP deductible.

I understand I'd no longer be able to contribute to an HSA directly, but my wife could open and fund under her name. Since that wouldn't be via payroll deduction- is there any way to claw back the FICA paid, say at tax time?

Any other options I should consider?
People can save FICA tax on HSA only through payroll deduction... Does anything change with your employer health plan once you have Medicare? You may want to inquire with your employer about this. At my place of employment, Medicare is the primary insurance for those who have it.
"Know what you own, and know why you own it." — Peter Lynch