Ford Fusion Transmission issue and how to resolve

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Gardener

Ford Fusion Transmission issue and how to resolve

Post by Gardener »

Last week, my 2016 Ford Fusion with 106k miles transmission stopped working or maybe the cable to the gear box stopped working (assume that's the issue). I assume one of those two is the most likely to be causing the issue.

I had the vehicle towed to a Ford dealership and it will be looked at Tuesday 22nd.

Looking at the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration website it says for my particular VIN:

ON YOUR VEHICLE, THE BUSHING IN THE TRANSMISSION SHIFTER CABLE MAY DEGRADE OVER TIME. THIS MAY CAUSE THE TRANSMISSION SHIFTER CABLE TO NOT BE ABLE TO FULLY MOVE THE TRANSMISSION TO THE SELECTED GEAR POSITION.

Also, I have mechanical repair coverage (not sure if that is the right word) for this vehicle through Geico with a $250 deductible.

I am just doing my best to be able to prepare respond quickly if Ford says that my recall won't cover my current transmission issue.

A transmission on average, per Google, for a 16 Ford Fusion runs ~$3,500.

If Ford does not cover this, should I make an insurance claim? That would make my policy go up, yeah, even though it's for a mechanical failure?

And an amateur question about insurance: Do I have to inform Geico first about doing the repair (if not covered by the recall) before Ford does the repair? Or can I just get reimbursed after paying Geico?

Thanks for any guidance.
Brianmcg321

Re: Ford Fusion Transmission issue and how to resolve

Post by Brianmcg321 »

I own an Acura MDX where the shifter wasn’t working properly. Looked online and found a video to check the cable from the shifter to the transmission. The cable was loose. Followed the directions on the video on how to tighten and calibrate it and that fixed the issue.

Your issue might be similar and it’s a simple fix like that.

What is your actual issue. Is it the shifter not shifting or something in the transmission?
Rules to investing: | 1. Don't lose money. | 2. Don't forget rule number 1.
Watty

Post by Watty »

Gardener wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:48 am Do I have to inform Geico first about doing the repair (if not covered by the recall) before Ford does the repair? Or can I just get reimbursed after paying Geico?
If you have some sort of extended warranty through Geico then do not have any work done until they approve the work. If they cover this they will likely require that the work be done at a shop they approve and where can get a better price at. Get the paperwork for this policy out and read through all the details. There is likely an 800 number you can call about it.

Generally speaking unless it is for warranty work or a recall it is best to not use a dealership for work because they at best try to do everything necessary to to make a car perfect, and use expensive new Ford brand parts when much less expensive good aftermarket parts or rebuilt parts may be available. At worst the dealership business model may encourage less than honest mechanics to try to take advantage of you.

If you end up having to pay for the work yourself you can likely get it done a lot less expensively at an independent mechanic.
nyjetfan

Post by nyjetfan »

Gardener wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:48 am Last week, my 2016 Ford Fusion with 106k miles transmission stopped….<removed for brevity>

Also, I have mechanical repair coverage (not sure if that is the right word) for this vehicle through Geico with a $250 deductible.
I would check as Geico MBI (Mechanical Breakdown Insurance) is good for 7 years or 100k miles based upon my recollection of buying it a few years ago. So based on that I think that policy won’t provide any benefit (And if that is correct you should cancel it due to being over 100k miles).

Just found this:

https://www.geico.com/auto-insurance/me ... insurance/
Quote from link above:

Once you've purchased MBI, you can renew it for up to seven years or 100,000 miles (whichever comes first). After a $250 deductible on a covered loss, car repairs to all mechanical parts of the car (except for maintenance and wear and tear*)are covered. Interested? Call us at (800) 861-8380 to learn more.
talzara

Post by talzara »

Watty wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:29 am If you have some sort of extended warranty through Geico then do not have any work done until they approve the work. If they cover this they will likely require that the work be done at a shop they approve and where can get a better price at. Get the paperwork for this policy out and read through all the details. There is likely an 800 number you can call about it.
GEICO Mechanical Breakdown Insurance is not an extended warranty. It is insurance, and it is regulated as insurance. Since loss ratios are much higher for insurance, it is a much better deal than an extended warranty.

MBI requires authorization before doing the repair in most states, but you do not have to use a GEICO-approved shop. GEICO will cover the cost of repairs at any licensed repair shop.
IMPORTANT NOTE: In most states, for coverage to be applicable, you must obtain authorization prior to any repair work being done. See policy for details.

Yes, you may use the licensed repair shop of your choice, unless the repair is covered by a recall, voluntary repair program or the manufacturer's warranty. In those cases you would need to take your vehicle back to a dealer who services the specific make and model.

https://www.geico.com/auto-insurance/me ... insurance/
Topic Author
Gardener

Post by Gardener »

Thank you everyone. Just wanted to provide a follow up.

My local Ford dealership contacted me and let me know the recall completely fixed the transmission issue. So I dodged a bullet there.

Honestly, I think I will probably get rid of that extra mechanical coverage with Geico. I didn't even know it was there! I am probably overinsured.

Thanks everyone.
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

Recall was in 2019. Any reason you never had it done?
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, EV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.
Topic Author
Gardener

Post by Gardener »

RickBoglehead wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:46 am Recall was in 2019. Any reason you never had it done?
A character defect- laziness/procrastination with car maintenance!