Starting a blog - what do I need to know?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
mrwheelerdealer

Starting a blog - what do I need to know?

Post by mrwheelerdealer »

Hi all,

I’m starting a blog, as I go deeper down the rabbit hole I see there’s a lot more to it than writing articles! So I’m mostly interested in protecting my name, logo, articles, general advice, etc. Also, do I need to create an LLC for asset protection? I’m looking for someone who went through the rigors (or otherwise knows the process) and the advice that would be given to the less experienced “self”. Also looking for recommendations for good resourses and a cost effective ways of getting up and running.

Thanks in advance for all responses!
The Biggest Risk is to not take one
GreendaleCC

Re: Starting a blog - what do I need to know?

Post by GreendaleCC »

mrwheelerdealer wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:00 pm Hi all,

I’m starting a blog, as I go deeper down the rabbit hole I see there’s a lot more to it than writing articles! So I’m mostly interested in protecting my name, logo, articles, general advice, etc. Also, do I need to create an LLC for asset protection? I’m looking for someone who went through the rigors (or otherwise knows the process) and the advice that would be given to the less experienced “self”. Also looking for recommendations for good recourses and a cost effective way of getting up and running.

I would pick one of the more popular Wordpress providers, Medium, or Substack, and start writing. Worry about this other stuff if you can build an audience.
Last edited by GreendaleCC on Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GreendaleCC

Post by GreendaleCC »

Duplicate
mrmass

Post by mrmass »

An LLC for a blog? IMO if you hope to make money at this, get a pipeline of income first. Doing all this LLC/legal/tax stuff is meaningless and adds complexity and does nothing unless you make money.
Topic Author
mrwheelerdealer

GreendaleCC wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:17 pm
mrwheelerdealer wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:00 pm Hi all,

I’m starting a blog, as I go deeper down the rabbit hole I see there’s a lot more to it than writing articles! So I’m mostly interested in protecting my name, logo, articles, general advice, etc. Also, do I need to create an LLC for asset protection? I’m looking for someone who went through the rigors (or otherwise knows the process) and the advice that would be given to the less experienced “self”. Also looking for recommendations for good recourses and a cost effective way of getting up and running.

I would pick one of the more popular Wordpress providers, Medium, or Substack, and start writing. Worry about this other stuff if you can build an audience.
I think you may be right. I’m ahead of myself here in terms of the complicated stuff. I appreciate you bringing me back down to earth! I guess the focus should be on strategies on how best to write the articles.
Topic Author
mrwheelerdealer

Flannelbeard wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:28 pm I had a blog for a few years. I enjoyed it, but I recently let my hosting expire and my site is now offline since I've shifted my free time into other hobbies.

For hosting, try to avoid anything owned by Endurance International Group. They keep gobbling up smaller hosting companies and gutting the customer support among other things.

Copyright-wise, you can register at copyright.gov and put a copyright notice up on your site. If someone infringes on your work, you'd start by filing a DMCA notice either with the site, or with their host. If that doesn't work you're in legal action territory, so it'll depend whether you're damaged by it and have the resources and time to bother with the legal route. Suffice it to say a determined international content thief will likely evade any efforts of a small-time blogger to bring them to justice. One tip is to start writing first, then come back to tasks like this (and things like fine-tuning site design) later when you have downtime.

I wouldn't go overboard at the preparation phase like making an LLC. Just find a reliable, affordable host that uses WordPress and/or get a 2-3 year discount signup deal. I think a few hosts do 4th of July sales, so watch out for those. If you're technically inclined with reliable power and internet, you can host a website off any old PC you might have lying around. I've seen people host off $35 Raspberry Pi computers. Obviously these can't handle a lot of traffic but most websites won't get a lot of traffic, so it could be a fun project to test the waters if you're into that kind of thing.

Get yourself set up on Google Search Console early so they can start indexing your site and you can appear in search results. This may get you some very sporadic traffic which can help with motivation.

Not to be pessimistic, but your chances of making money or gaining notoriety by writing a blog are extremely slim. Hence why something like an LLC is something to figure out if it ever comes to that. Statistically, it is very likely that you'll write for some period between 6 months and 2 years, see no more than 500 monthly site visitors, never make enough money to cover your hosting costs, and give up. I don't mean to discourage you at all, definitely start a blog if it's a goal of yours. It's a long game though, and you need to be willing to write consistently for years without expecting results. So above all else, write about what you enjoy writing about to give yourself the greatest chance of success.
This is excellent advice, lots for me to think through here. Thanks for taking the time to respond!
Topic Author
mrwheelerdealer

mrmass wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:29 pm An LLC for a blog? IMO if you hope to make money at this, get a pipeline of income first. Doing all this LLC/legal/tax stuff is meaningless and adds complexity and does nothing unless you make money.
I appreciate the candid response, I’ll turn my focus the quality of the articles. It’s something I enjoy, kind of like a side hobby, so let’s see where it goes.
BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy »

I thought about starting a blog. Then I remembered that anyone can sue anyone for anything. Do you need the potential hassles?
"Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities" - The Dunning-Kruger Effect