Which MacBook Do I Want?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
chris319

Which MacBook Do I Want?

Post by chris319 »

I'm thinking of getting a MacBook. Which one do I want?

The MacBook Air is $1,000

The 13" MacBook Pro is $1,300.

What does the additional $300 buy me with the MacBook Pro?

Thank you.
Financial decisions based on emotion often turn out to be bad decisions.
insaner

Re: Which MacBook Do I Want?

Post by insaner »

I was in the same boat as you deciding...

For me, MacBook was just for normal office use, nothing hardware-intensive so I chose the MB Air to save $300. I really didn't need the hardware capabilities of the MB Pro.

Actually, I didn't end up buying any MacBook because I think Apple laptops are overpriced. I ended up buying a slightly-used HP laptop 15" and still saved more money. AirPods work fine on Windows too :)

Good luck!
typical.investor

Post by typical.investor »

chris319 wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:28 am I'm thinking of getting a MacBook. Which one do I want?

Thank you.
It buys you a little better screen, a better mic, better speakers and active cooling (fans) which will allow higher performance under sustained loads. And the $1,000 Air has a 7‑core GPU vs 8 for the pro.
Topic Author
chris319

Post by chris319 »

I've grown tired of seeing "(name of program) not responding" on Windows 10, particularly when I try to update Windows which lately seems to be a couple of times per week. In addition, I need a lightweight laptop for travel. I have a Dell laptop running Windows but it weighs a ton.

Yes, agree that Macbooks are overpriced.
RichK

Post by RichK »

I just went through this same decision. I'm Apple on one end (phone, watch, iPad), but our desktop is a PC. I got the MacBook Air to see if I could bridge the gap and explore going all Apple. Even the Air is potent enough to serve as a desktop using a docking station.

I ended up with the Air with 500GB drive and the 8 core GPU. I don't game nor do I do intensive graphics or video editing or any other task that would require active cooling which allows higher chip performance on the Pro. So much of our data these days is cloud-based, I felt that 500gb should be enough.

As always with Apple, it's beautifully crafted, but of course pricey.
cutterinnj

Post by cutterinnj »

Go with the air.
It’s on sale at $900.

Make sure you get the new model, with the M1 chip.

The pro doesn’t have any real advantage at this point for normal use.
typical.investor

Post by typical.investor »

chris319 wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:04 am I've grown tired of seeing "(name of program) not responding" on Windows 10, particularly when I try to update Windows which lately seems to be a couple of times per week. In addition, I need a lightweight laptop for travel. I have a Dell laptop running Windows but it weighs a ton.

Lightweight for traveling? The air should be perfect. That’s what we got, performance and battery life are both great!
ImUrHuckleberry

Post by ImUrHuckleberry »

chris319 wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:04 am I've grown tired of seeing "(name of program) not responding" on Windows 10, particularly when I try to update Windows which lately seems to be a couple of times per week. In addition, I need a lightweight laptop for travel. I have a Dell laptop running Windows but it weighs a ton.

I finally upgraded to a Dell laptop with SSD, and to my surprise it is still pretty heavy. I expected it would be a lot lighter than an HDD, but it's not.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

Notes:
There's not a huge difference between the Air and the MacBook Pro.
Ports are different. How many do you need.
The older MacBook Pro's with the squishy keyboards last forever, no defective "clicky" keyboard issues.
The latest MacBook Pro's seem to have fixed the "clicky" keyboard issues. . . but unsure going forward.
I've travelled with the Air and also the MacBook Pro and didn't see much difference in bulk and all that.

Depends on what kind of capability you need.

Above is my experiences only with MacBooks.
j :D
Last edited by Sandtrap on Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
avenger

Post by avenger »

I’m an apple fanboy…. But I finally got rid of my MacBook Pro, and settled on using my iPad Pro as both my laptop and tablet… does all the computer functionality I need, and has all the tablet functionality I need (use it to read my stored sheet music and play piano). Doesn’t answer your question but is a different perspective.
cheers ... -Mark | "Our life is frittered away with detail. Simplify. Simplify." -Henry David Thoreau | [VTI, VXUS, BND, VTEB, SV fund]
flyingcows

Post by flyingcows »

I’m tech agnostic and own/use multiple computers with different operating systems. For laptops I would always go for the Mac, especially now with the M1 chip. It would be a shame to buy a new laptop right now that doesn’t have the M1, atleast try to use one before you buy something else/worse. The base macbook air with M1, 256gb storage, and upgraded to 16gb ram is what I have personally, but even the base 8gb of ram would be fine for almost everyone
This content is for entertainment purposes only
YeahBuddy

Post by YeahBuddy »

That's a personal question you have to answer for yourself. For most, the MBA is all that's needed. For me the MBP isn't worth the extra $300. But Apple is definitely worth the extra money over windows as my mid 2012 MBP is the best computer I've ever owned by far. If you can wait there should be new MacBooks coming out this fall.
Light weight baby!
YeahBuddy

Post by YeahBuddy »

typical.investor wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:08 am
chris319 wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:28 am I'm thinking of getting a MacBook. Which one do I want?

Thank you.
It buys you a little better screen, a better mic, better speakers and active cooling (fans) which will allow higher performance under sustained loads. And the $1,000 Air has a 7‑core GPU vs 8 for the pro.

What does an extra core do? Is there a noticeable difference? I honestly don't have any experience/knowledge with this so just wondering.
Light weight baby!
billthecat

Post by billthecat »

typical.investor wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:08 am

Thank you.
Also, the Pro has the Touch Bar. And in between the 7 core Air and the Pro, you can get the Air with an 8 core GPU too.
We cannot direct the winds but we can adjust our sails • It's later than you think • Ack! Thbbft!
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

chris319 wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:04 am Yes, agree that Macbooks are overpriced.
13” MacBook Airs and Pros are not overpriced. Show me any comparable PC product and it will be priced similarly to an Apple product. And then compare performance benchmarks.

Yes, there are plenty of cheaper laptops out there that may be able to do what you need, but a Kia and a Mercedes will both take you from point A to B. But the experience, quality of product, and performance are vastly different.
cbs2002

Post by cbs2002 »

longtime MBP user. Currently using 2016 and trying to rationalize an upgrade to get the new keyboard...

Great product, yes a little more costly than comp Dell or whatever with same design/specs. If you like the way it works, not a big deal. The form factor and weight are excellent. I still have to use Windows 10 for work sometimes and prefer the Mac OS by leaps and bounds.

the new Airs look superb in terms of speed and value. Get 16 GB RAM if you can swing it. You probably don't need a Pro. I have enjoyed using Bootcamp to play Windows games on my MBP but those days are gone with the new ones, sadly.
cbs2002

Post by cbs2002 »

RobLyons wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:51 am What does an extra core do? Is there a noticeable difference? I honestly don't have any experience/knowledge with this so just wondering.
Unless you are doing visual editing or gaming with apps that are designed to take advantage of multicore performance, probably nothing.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

I think the Air would be a great computer. It is what I would buy today. It is overpriced if you don’t value the qualities Apple brings to it’s products.
HereToLearn

Post by HereToLearn »

Feedback from my son who has the Pro. Try out the Touch Bar before you buy it, especially if you are an Excel user. He misses the keys of his prior Pro because he now needs to look at the Touch Bar whereas he could use function keys without looking.

If you wait until the summer education promotions start, you might be able to snag a free pair of Air Pods.
Outer Marker

Post by Outer Marker »

I have a 15" macbook pro, and two macbook airs, including my work-issued computer. There's nothing the pro does for me that the air does not (apart from the larger screen). And it's a lot heavier. I use a docking station at work with a large monitor and bluetooth keyboard for the air. If you're a power user and/or want to future proof your purchase, you might consider upgrading the air with 16 vs. 8 mb of memory. That makes a difference for my SO who does some video editing.
Afty

Post by Afty »

I chose the M1 Air and am very happy with it. There's very little practical difference between the 13" Pro and the Air.
SixAlpha

Post by SixAlpha »

I am in a similar boat as the OP having recently dumped a cup of coffee on my 2014 MacBook Air. Super bummed as I was hoping to get another year out of that machine.

I’ve debated ditching both my iPad and the MacBook and replacing them both with an iPad Pro. But throw in the keyboard and Apple Pencil (which I use currently a lot on my older iPad) and the price shoots up to $1,600. Worth it?
Oreamnos

Post by Oreamnos »

This cracks me up. Part of what you're paying for with Macs is a system where you don't have to deal with that kind of Windows crap.
chris319 wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:04 am I've grown tired of seeing "(name of program) not responding" on Windows 10, particularly when I try to update Windows which lately seems to be a couple of times per week.

stimulacra

Post by stimulacra »

In practical terms you're paying for a better battery. That's all.

No bad choices either way.
Prahasaurus

Post by Prahasaurus »

Go for the MacBook Air unless you have a specific need for the Pro. Not just "nice to have," but some valid reason to go Pro. E.g., "Because I render videos in 4k, it's imperative that I have a 16 core neural engine...." etc., etc. If you can't articulate that, get the Air. I think the Air is the best all around laptop available for 98% of people who want MacOS and a laptop.

Having said that, my setup is a Mac Mini with the M1 chip and an iPad for mobility. I think that is a fantastic combination. You have a solid desktop machine where you can choose your monitor, keyboard, and mouse, so you are not locked into whatever Apple pushes on you. And you also have a wonderful travel device that can do 98% of what your computer can do, and so much more (reading articles, signing documents, etc.).
Asset Allocation: VT
smectym

Post by smectym »

I travel with the Air and keep the Pro at the office as a “desktop surrogate” though that term is so antiquated some won’t know what it means. Don’t think either is overpriced, but of course bargains are available on the pre-owned market and going back a generation or two probably won’t affect performance at all for 99%
LeftCoastIV

Post by LeftCoastIV »

I like a touchscreen on my laptops, and don’t think any of the Macs offer a touchscreen (iPads of course do). That said, I prefer Windows simply because I have been using it forever and am used to its idiosyncrasies.
sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal »

Oreamnos wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:30 pm This cracks me up. Part of what you're paying for with Macs is a system where you don't have to deal with that kind of Windows crap.
chris319 wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:04 am I've grown tired of seeing "(name of program) not responding" on Windows 10, particularly when I try to update Windows which lately seems to be a couple of times per week.

With macs you get the 'spinning beach ball' instead :wink:

IMO either of those two macs is fine and they are worth the money. The air seems to be better value but the 'pro' good too. I'm waiting for the 16" M1 version.
Sagefemme

Post by Sagefemme »

I am using a work-issued MacBook Pro from 2012. It's getting a little slow and occasionally I feel the need to restart it to improve function, but for a nearly 10-year-old machine, that has never broken or needed maintenance of any kind, it's working amazingly well. Whatever price difference there was between it and and a PC laptop has long since evaporated given its excellent performance. I used to employ "Boot Camp" to run Apple OS and Windows simultaneously, but now that the electronic health record for work is in the cloud that is no longer necessary. But for a long time it worked great. My boss grumbled about the extra cost when I said I wanted a Mac laptop, but I insisted that I needed something lighter than the 20 pound PC brick he wanted to provide me. I have no problems traveling with my MacBook. My boss, on the other hand, complains constantly about travel with his weighty PC laptop. Obviously, travel would be even easier with today's MacBook Airs. Also, he's on his second or third PC in 10 years and I am on my first MacBook Pro.
chuckb84

Post by chuckb84 »

Thank you.
My wife has the M1 MBA with 16G of ram, and she probably would have been fine with 8, ie, the base model. I got the M1 MBP 16G for the bigger battery, slightly brighter screen and (arguably) better cpu performance on prolonged computational tasks. In fact, the MBA and MBP are computational identical unless you really whip the M1 for >10 minutes.

I'd say get the Air. Shop around, there are discounts.
Topic Author
chris319

Post by chris319 »

On a related note, a couple of years ago I had an ASUS tablet computer which ran Windows 10. It cost about $280 and was as light as a feather. It worked great and all was well until ...

one day I performed a Windows update. After updating it wouldn't restart. Long story short, it turns out the battery would no longer take a charge. The computer would light up for a few seconds, then quit. I looked all around the machine and couldn't find a way to access the battery. I did many Google searches to find out that I was SOL regarding battery replacement. It wouldn't even run from the AC mains. So basically I had spent $280 for a disposable computer.

Now those computers retail for around $180. So I could either spend a little and go through a succession of cheap, disposable tablets, or I could spend $1,000 on a MacBook Air which hopefully has a replaceable battery. Windows or Mac, it makes no difference to me as I just want something lightweight to get on the web when away from home.
Somethingwitty92912

Post by Somethingwitty92912 »

Graphics processing or any type of gaming, go with the pro. For documents or email that sort of thing go with the air. The air is great for travel as well.
MoonOrb

Post by MoonOrb »

When I faced the same decision about two months ago I got the MacBook Air. It replaced a MacBook Pro that was about 6 years old.

Loving it so far.
Topic Author
chris319

Post by chris319 »

I'm looking at Microsoft Surface tablets. They are pushing $1,000. I'm worried that the battery is non-replaceable, making it a $1,000 disposable computer.

Hopefully the battery can be replaced on a MacBook Air?
burgrat

Post by burgrat »

chris319 wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:59 am I'm looking at Microsoft Surface tablets. They are pushing $1,000. I'm worried that the battery is non-replaceable, making it a $1,000 disposable computer.

The battery can be replaced. I'm on a 2013 MacBook Air with original battery and it still holds a pretty good charge (maybe 2.5 hours for 100% to dead while web surfing, etc.). I know Apple products are expensive, but well worth it for my MacBook that I've literally used an hour or 2 a day for almost 8 years without any functional issues.
harrychan

Post by harrychan »

I'm a hard core self taught, pc builder, android kind a guy. I would never pay premium for my own use but I bought a macbook air in 2013 for my wife. It still runs without any issues. So there's that.
This is not legal or certified financial advice but you know that already.
Afty

Post by Afty »

chris319 wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:59 am I'm looking at Microsoft Surface tablets. They are pushing $1,000. I'm worried that the battery is non-replaceable, making it a $1,000 disposable computer.

I wouldn't say they are serviceable by an end-user, but Apple will replace your battery out of warranty for $129: https://support.apple.com/mac/repair/service
DiamondplateDave

Post by DiamondplateDave »

[Disclaimer: I am a Mac technician and work for an Apple Reseller.]
I would state my opinion that Macs are generally useful for a longer period than most Windows computers. The higher initial price is offset by less maintenance headaches and longer use. I have a lot of people come in that are still using the 2015/2017 13" Macbook Air. I had one gentleman come in and buy a new M1 Macbook Air to replace....a 2010 Macbook Air with 2GB RAM and a 64GB SSD. Which he had been using, daily, since 2010. He asked me to recycle his old laptop, so I erased the data and installed Mac OS 10.13 High Sierra, which is the most recent it will run.
The hinges are loose and the battery is at the end of its lifespan, it's a little slow with 2GB of RAM (the RAM is not upgradable, but the SSD and the battery could be replaced).However, it is still usable.
That said, most of the new Macs verge on 'not repairable' because the Out-of Warranty repair cost is approaching the cost of a new unit (with a 1 year warranty). The older Macs vary in the difficulty of replacing the battery, but you can find 'how to' videos that will show you what kind of effort it would take. Apple will replace a lot of the old batteries for $129. I think the newer models are more like $199. Replacing the battery in some newer Macs is basically swapping the clamshell (LCD assembly) and logic board into a new topcase. The 'topcase' (frame), keyboard, trackpad and battery are all one unit. I'm not sure at what point one would opt for a new laptop rather than spend $200 for a new battery/topcase; probably partially dependent on the initial price of the laptop and the length of useful life projected.
An out-of-warranty logic board failure or catastrophic damage would probably dictate a new unit.
bagle

Post by bagle »

My wife's 2013 MacBook Air still runs, but it's slow for more intensive operations.

So we recently replaced it with a new M1 MacBook Air. It's amazingly fast for any standard use (e.g., Zoom calls, email, Excel spreadsheets with no complex macros, PowerPoint presentations...). There was no need to upgrade to MacBook Pro.

Only surprise is that it weighs more than her 8 year old MBA (though less than my 2018 MBP).
jeroly

Post by jeroly »

I've always had PC laptops until getting the new M1 Air. It is great for basic computing (browsing, Office applications, Zoom sessions, watching videos) and has great battery life. It is lightweight and IMO reasonably priced for a premium laptop ($900 vs $2,000 for my previous Dell XPS15). Unless you are reliant on PC-only programs (in which case get a PC) or need higher-end processing power (e.g. mixing 90 audio tracks, rendering graphics) over a period of time where throttling may occur on the Air will more than suffice - if you need more processing power consider the MacBook Pro or the desktop Macs. I think the only other use case for the Pro is if you need multiple external monitors.
Padlin

Post by Padlin »

Getting 8-10 years from a decent Windows laptop isn't uncommon either, SSD's have helped longevity.

Compared to my ThinkPad 8 years ago the Macs mentioned are a good deal.
Regards | Bob
Laurencita

Post by Laurencita »

I'd say get the Air. Shop around, there are discounts.

Ok, I'm sold. Discounts at Best Buy? anywhere else I should look for a discount? Thanks
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

Laurencita wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:29 am I'd say get the Air. Shop around, there are discounts.

Ok, I'm sold. Discounts at Best Buy? anywhere else I should look for a discount? Thanks
AppleInsider.cøm Has info on current online deals. The sites listed are reliable.
Topic Author
chris319

Post by chris319 »

I have a recent-model Dell laptop running Windows 10. It's good to have a backup computer just in case. The only problem is, it weighs a bloody ton and would be a drag to travel with.

I've decided that for travel I will get the cheapest Windows 10 tablet I can find (with built-in keyboard). I had one which was as light as a feather but the unreplaceable battery died completely after a short while. I'm going to get something under $200 and treat it as a disposable computer. When the battery dies, that will be the end of it.