What are some places where I can work 1-day per week on the weekends?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
workingovertime

What are some places where I can work 1-day per week on the weekends?

Post by workingovertime »

I work a full-time job as 100% remote during the week but just get so bored and depressed during the weekend.

Sure I have hobbies but I wouldn't mind an easy job one day on Sat or Sun if any place allows that. It seems like most places want more availability commitment. Pay is not a factor. Only one I can think of is a theme park where many retirees or high school age works part-time but I found out today the one near me requires at least 2 days. Looking for any suggestions!
Normchad

Re: What are some places where I can work 1-day per week on the weekends?

Post by Normchad »

Volunteer at the zoo or the library.
cchrissyy

Post by cchrissyy »

how about a coffee shop?
that seems like a good way to get out and interact with people
they are often busiest on weekend mornings and need extra staff for that shift, and you might quickly become helpful if you have ever done that type of work before.
60-20-20 us-intl-bond
BeaglesRule

Post by BeaglesRule »

An independent hardware store. Bet they’d love to have you. You’ll meet some great people.
Monsterflockster

Post by Monsterflockster »

workingovertime wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 9:07 pm I work a full-time job as 100% remote during the week but just get so bored and depressed during the weekend.

Sure I have hobbies but I wouldn't mind an easy job one day on Sat or Sun if any place allows that. It seems like most places want more availability commitment. Pay is not a factor. Only one I can think of is a theme park where many retirees or high school age works part-time but I found out today the one near me requires at least 2 days. Looking for any suggestions!
You want an easy job one day a week on the weekend?

Not easy but you could be a referee/umpire.
humblecoder

Post by humblecoder »

Some ideas. You didn't specify what your interest or skills are, so these are a bit random. Hopefully one of these thoughts will resonate with you. If you want a more quality answer, though, you need to be more specific.

1. Volunteer somewhere. Many charities are happy to get whatever help they can.

2. Side hustle. Uber driver comes to mind as an obvious one.

3. Many restaurants look for extra help on the weekends.

4. Start a blog / web site that you can work on over the weekend.

5. Coach youth sports. They are always looking for coaches (although this might also require some week nights as well).

6. If you don't want to coach, become a youth sports official. My son does this for soccer during the fall. You can pick your days and games. Obviously, this requires certification / training, but if a high school kid can do it, so can you.

7. You didn't mention what your regular vocation is, but maybe you can use that day for training or working on job certifications. I work in software development, so there is always a need to keep one's skills up to date. Or if this doesn't apply to you, use the weekend as an opportunity to learn some new skill in something that interests you.

8. Start a small part time business and make your own work rules. I won't try to give examples since I don't know what your skills and interests are, but I'm sure with a little creativity, you can come up with something suited to your taste.

8. Get a more interesting hobby if your current hobbies don't provide you with enough enjoyment that you need to seek employment as an alternative. That may sound sarcastic but I am being 100% serious about this one.

9. Have children. They are bound to keep you busy on the weekends whether you like it or not.
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

I knew someone who worked at a Lowes just on occasional weekends in addition to their full-time weekday job. Apparently it qualified them for an employee discount while they were remodeling their house (which filled up the rest of his time.)
I'm sure there are plenty of retail jobs that are open to a schedule that would suit you, especially right now when their seems to be a big demand to hire.

... there's also the military reserves/National Guard "One weekend a month, two weeks a year"
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
elle

Post by elle »

Any sort of Uber/instacart/etc. you decide your hours.
foolio97

Post by foolio97 »

> I work a full-time job as 100% remote during the week but just get so bored and depressed during the weekend.
If you really are depressed, in a clinical sense, then get help (therapist, psychiatrist, etc).
Otherwise, I'll second the volunteer suggestions above. Find something you are passionate about or at least curious about, and perhaps make the world a better place.
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

If you would mention your skills and interests, it would be a big help as far as suggestions go. Your interests are particularly important if depression is a component of your wanting to find something to do.
Last edited by Doom&Gloom on Mon May 10, 2021 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xrayman69

Post by Xrayman69 »

Municipal golf course.
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

Xrayman69 wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 10:18 pm Municipal golf course.
LOL. I was going to suggest the same thing if OP has an interest in golf. In fact, I had already typed that, then deleted it to make my reply more of a question.
leeks

Post by leeks »

My favorite once-a-week job was a seasonal Saturday shift at a garden center. It was really fun to help people pick out plants and garden accessories. It was also my lowest-paying-job ever at $7/hour. Even with my employee discount, I spent more money on plants than I actually earned there (and I was a renter with only a tiny bit of yard).

My husband's lowest paying gig with the most casual schedule options was working at a call center doing push polls. But he wouldn't recommend it.

With summer coming, I would look for something seasonal and at least partially outside for the mood boost. Or somewhere that is a place you enjoy being anyway. For me, I would be looking at botanical gardens, zoos, museums, library, pools, kayak rental stand, farmer's market vendors, city/county/state parks, bicycle rental stand, etc. Beach-adjacent or tourist-oriented businesses if you have them in your area. I'm still noticing ads for part-time census work. Dog walking or babysitting or tutoring. Or for volunteer activities: hiking trail maintenance, leading hikes/tours, bicycle repair coop, pet foster/adoption facility, etc. Local libraries and parks and historic sites might have volunteer roles. 'You could also join a class or two - exercise classes or a community college course or an art class or a woodworking class or whatever. Or teach some kind of class if you have applicable skills.
bogleblitz

Post by bogleblitz »

I also thought about doing this since i was bored on the weekends.

I was thinking about uber/lift on the weekends. maybe just a few hours so it forces me out of the house and meet other people.
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

workingovertime wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 9:07 pm I work a full-time job as 100% remote during the week but just get so bored and depressed during the weekend.

Sure I have hobbies but I wouldn't mind an easy job one day on Sat or Sun if any place allows that. It seems like most places want more availability commitment. Pay is not a factor.
It depends where you live, what you can do, and what you are willing to do.

I live in a seaside locale where you could walk down the street, turn left or right, walk into any store and get a one-day-per-week job on the spot. Every shop has a Help Wanted sign.

Most of those would be food/bar service jobs, or retail shop clerk jobs. But there are also plenty of landscaping jobs, hotel desk jobs, etc, etc.

Assuming your remote work involves sitting in front of a computer, you might want to work outdoors.
This isn't just my wallet. It's an organizer, a memory and an old friend.
German Expat

Post by German Expat »

Recently read an article that Uber drivers are in high demand and make good money again. You are fully flexible with your time and weekends tend to be good for business.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technolo ... t-drivers/
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

I would want to do something in line my interests. And it depends on one's interest. A coworker use to work at a store which catered to people who turned wood, since that was his hobby. Usually it was on weekends.

One of the high school kids near me has started a gutter cleaning business. He only does ranch houses and only on weekends - he can't keep up now that one of the local firefighters stopped doing it in his spare time. I'm a gardener, decades ago, I would work for $10 an hour in a wealthy neighborhood pulling weeds. That was it - I just pulled weeds.
"History is the memory of time, the life of the dead and the happiness of the living." Captain John Smith 1580-1631
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

If you don't need the money, find volunteer work.
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

Retirement should be fun.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

It sounds like you sit at home alone all day. That sounds depressing.

My first thought is to take up a hobby that would allow you to get out of the house and make some friends. Tennis, bike club, garden society, chess club, watercolor class, quilting guild, ukulele band, etc. What do you like to do or think you might like trying? There are groups that do all of those things.

My second thought is volunteer work, also preferably something you enjoy that would provide the opportunity to make friends. There’s lots of volunteer work that’s time limited and will get you out of the house doing stuff with other people. We usher, which (in normal times) gets us out of the house for a few hours once or twice a week, working with other people with similar interests and seeing concerts and shows for free.

Just pick something that sounds interesting and forces you to leave the house.
surfstar

Post by surfstar »

quantAndHold wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 9:58 am It sounds like you sit at home alone all day. That sounds depressing.

My first thought is to take up a hobby that would allow you to get out of the house and make some friends. Tennis, bike club, garden society, chess club, watercolor class, quilting guild, ukulele band, etc. What do you like to do or think you might like trying? There are groups that do all of those things.

My second thought is volunteer work, also preferably something you enjoy that would provide the opportunity to make friends. There’s lots of volunteer work that’s time limited and will get you out of the house doing stuff with other people. We usher, which (in normal times) gets us out of the house for a few hours once or twice a week, working with other people with similar interests and seeing concerts and shows for free.

Just pick something that sounds interesting and forces you to leave the house.
Agreed. Get outside doing something physically active. Trail work, if you feel it must be a volunteer/job to motivate you. Otherwise just take up a new outdoor sport/activity. Hiking, biking, anything! *oh and leave the earbuds at home. Unplug from "content" - your brain will thank you.
SeaToTheBay

Post by SeaToTheBay »

If you have an interest in cycling, get a job at a bike shop. In HS and college I was a bike mechanic and we had to work one weekend day for obvious reasons.

It was a lot of fun hanging out with free-spirited co-workers while tinkering with bikes, and usually you get a discount from bike manufacturers that's actually a % off wholesale prices. Back in 2001 I got a bike which retailed for $1,900 and only paid $950. Then I customized it to my liking, selling the "stock" parts I didn't want and buying what I wanted with the discount. Best part-time "fun job" I could have asked for.
egrets

Post by egrets »

Where I live businesses that don't pay well are desperate for workers. If you don't care what you get paid, I imagine some of them are desperate enough for one day a week.

However, I think you would find volunteer work more fulfilling. Here local animal rescue groups would be happy to have a volunteer on a one day a week basis to help in their shelters.
egrets

Post by egrets »

Mr. Rumples wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 5:32 am I'm a gardener, decades ago, I would work for $10 an hour in a wealthy neighborhood pulling weeds. That was it - I just pulled weeds.
There are 2-3 businesses where I live that basically do that - pull weeds, prune, tidy up gardens. It doesn't have to be in a wealthy neighborhood, some customers like me are ancient enough that they hire this out.
Topic Author
workingovertime

Doom&Gloom wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 10:21 pm
LOL. I was going to suggest the same thing if OP has an interest in golf. In fact, I had already typed that, then deleted it to make my reply more of a question.
Don't know much about golf but not opposed to it. What type of jobs are there typically available at a golf course one-day per week?
Topic Author
workingovertime

egrets wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 4:58 pm
Mr. Rumples wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 5:32 am I'm a gardener, decades ago, I would work for $10 an hour in a wealthy neighborhood pulling weeds. That was it - I just pulled weeds.
There are 2-3 businesses where I live that basically do that - pull weeds, prune, tidy up gardens. It doesn't have to be in a wealthy neighborhood, some customers like me are ancient enough that they hire this out.
Sounds interesting. Would you happen to know where can I search for jobs for pulling weeds?

Edit: Did some search online and seems like it's directing me to positions like "lawn maintenance", etc. Just don't want to get pulled into some full-on lawn care job! LOL How do I know the job is just pulling weeds or something light?
Supergrover

Post by Supergrover »

Im not sure the weed pulling would satisfy what you’re after. It doesn’t seem like there’d be much personal interaction. I’m thinking of local garden center, hardware store, or places that have lots of people. kayak places mentioned above, farm/tourist places needs lots of help to herd people where they need to go. Good luck.
Xrayman69

Post by Xrayman69 »

workingovertime wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 6:46 pm
Don't know much about golf but not opposed to it. What type of jobs are there typically available at a golf course one-day per week?
Starter, checking names and time and te,long the group they can go and want group is next.

Cashier in the clubhouse.
calwatch

Post by calwatch »

In addition to the Uber/Lyft/Postmates/Doordash, you might try being helpful to others using Taskrabbit, or ask around on your local Nextdoor or Facebook group.
Grogs

Post by Grogs »

Xrayman69 wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 10:22 pm
workingovertime wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 6:46 pm
Starter, checking names and time and te,long the group they can go and want group is next.

Cashier in the clubhouse.
Yeah, most hobbies have surges on weekends and businesses catering to them are more likely to need people on Saturday/Sunday. That sounds like a good fit for what OP is after.

In contrast, I find that a lot of volunteer organizations like my local animal shelter are overflowing on the weekends. During the week when most people are working or in school is when they really need help.
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

At the risk of thread drift, the house I weeded was near Justice Powell's home in Richmond. I had a flat tire I was stuck on the road back in Windsor Farms. He was driving home, passed me and gave me a ride to the bike shop in Carytown. After that, we'd wave; a few times he would stop, roll down the window and we'd chat a few seconds when I was working out front. $10 an hour back then is about $24 now.
"History is the memory of time, the life of the dead and the happiness of the living." Captain John Smith 1580-1631
Stubbie

Post by Stubbie »

Our local zoo has shifts like this. Guest relations might be just what you're looking for.
SRenaeP

Post by SRenaeP »

workingovertime wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 6:49 pm
Sounds interesting. Would you happen to know where can I search for jobs for pulling weeds?

Edit: Did some search online and seems like it's directing me to positions like "lawn maintenance", etc. Just don't want to get pulled into some full-on lawn care job! LOL How do I know the job is just pulling weeds or something light?
Perhaps advertise on NextDoor or similar. I have often wished I could find people to do ad hoc outdoor tasks than I just don't feel like doing. Once upon a time, you could count on a neighborhood teen looking to earn a few extra bucks so not so much these days.
brian91480

Post by brian91480 »

Disability services.... group homes for folks who need limited supports typically have weekend hours with flexible schedules.... low pay, but rewarding work.
Lazareth

Post by Lazareth »

Driver... perhaps for a private transportation/limo/shuttle, or charter service. If you enjoy driving it can be a great way to get out for a weekend afternoon or evening... interact with people in a positive way, exercise your brain, and includes a level of independence while still part of a team. May require a CDL (commercial driver's license) but not the Class A as in tractor trailers. An employer may help with that.

Most employers will not hire someone who says they can only work one day a week because a new hire is an investment in time and money, and the payoff is unknown. The "failure rate" for many service-job hires is high. BUT, so is the demand for dependable part-time service employees! You could commit to two days when you apply for work, and then after a couple months, if you still want to work just one day, it's likely that an employer would accommodate such a request from a dependable, already trained, employee.

a/69, retired, married, enjoy p/t employment. Three-fund portfolio, after decades of chasing active-managed fund performance.
egrets

Post by egrets »

workingovertime wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 6:49 pm

I think I stumbled across the first place via a facebook ad. Then they stopped working in my area so I asked them for referrals. I also asked around in gardening groups.
Hockey10

Post by Hockey10 »

Saturday - work at a college football stadium
Sunday - work at an NFL stadium
egrets

Post by egrets »

SRenaeP wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 8:27 am Perhaps advertise on NextDoor or similar. I have often wished I could find people to do ad hoc outdoor tasks than I just don't feel like doing. Once upon a time, you could count on a neighborhood teen looking to earn a few extra bucks so not so much these days.
How is it that kids looking for neighborhood jobs have disappeared? I would like to hire them also.
chazas

Post by chazas »

I’m a very high priced lawyer during work (well almost all) hours. But I enjoy really easy volunteer work. I volunteer at all the local elections as an election official, which is a very very long day (and compensated some if you take it) but really fun. I also have volunteered recently as part of the state volunteer health corps at local vaccination clinics. In both I get to do something good, not think too hard about it and talk with lots of people. I love it.
RickyAZ

Post by RickyAZ »

Amazon. Probably a location near wherever you live. Permanent part time there requires 3 shifts a month (shifts can be 5 hours or so … no lunch). Shifts throughout the day. You get instant access to their (not overly attractive) 401k so you can just put 90% of the pay towards a Roth option or just buy the stock. Lots of young people to keep up with (especially on weekends). Don’t know about the warehouse, that can be physically challenging of course for certain positions, but there are various operations throughout the country.
1moreyr

Post by 1moreyr »

Pick a hobby you like and see how to work at it. I like to go target shooting, drink bourbon and ride Motorcycles. I would gladly in retirement
1.work at a range or gun shop
2. work at a liquor store
3. Sell Motorcycles or work in a parts department