Housing Decision. Help appreciated.

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
Gardener

Housing Decision. Help appreciated.

Post by Gardener »

Cliff notes:

Here are the four most attractive options as I see it at this very moment.

1. Me and sometimes my daughter live in a 1200 square foot 2BR/2BA apartment in a very nice area/neighborhood, close to my 4 year old daughter and my work that I rent for $2k. I am actually very happy in this apartment and neighborhood. Its top floor, corner unit. Only wish was that I had more garage space to put motorcycles, other vehicles in. Currently, just have assigned underground parking (one spot, that I fit my motorcycle and car into). I could easily just stay here I suppose and suck up not having private garage space.

2. Condos are available to buy in the same neighborhood for $470kish with $330 monthly condo fees. Would be 1500 square feet and own one car garage. 2 br/2ba. Not huge. But, honestly enough for me right now. Biggest upside to this would be the garage as I have a car and a motorcycle and want more motorcycles. Outside parking also available.

3. Very nice spacious townhomes with 2 car garage and 2 really cool decks and 4 floors for ~$550k (new construction) 15 minutes away available, in a decent location, but not as nice as neighborhood and area where I currently reside. Puts me 15 minutes farther from work and daughter. I love this house the most, but not in love with the area and distance away from everything.

4. I could also wait out and save more money and MAYBE purchase one of the town homes or detached homes in this very desirable neighborhood that I currently live. Town homes run $700kish and detached from $800k to $1M. I bet it would take me 3-5 years to be comfortable in that price range.

Other considerations:

A. Have Excellent Credit
B. ~150k earnings per year, but likely to go up to $200- $225k in the months and years ahead
C. Career is very stabile
D. Currently have $150k to put down on house.
E. At this moment, have no desire to remarry, but who knows in the future.

All thoughts, views on this are greatly appreciated! It was clarifying just writing all of this out. Thank you.
hi_there

Re: Housing Decision. Help appreciated.

Post by hi_there »

Obviously, it would depend on your goals. However, if it were me, unless I had an investment portfolio of substantially larger size than the $175k, I would rent. Financial flexibility and proximity to daughter would be higher on my priority list than buying more toys.
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

The thing that comes to my mind is whether you are currently close enough that your daughter may eventually be able to safely walk between homes. That flexibility could be near priceless to some parents. Not sure I'd give it up.
Topic Author
Gardener

Post by Gardener »

Thanks. Good questions and insights.

Regarding proximity to daughter.

Yes, she is currently 12 minutes driving distance. Walking is not possible. I also have to account for the fact that ex wife may want to move somewhere else in the future. She is currently renting a home now, but may want to move to a home slightly farther away with her serious boyfriend in the future.

Regarding goals.

Fair point about not prioritizing getting more toys over other more primary financial goals. My main goals are to invest heavily- emotionally, being present, developing my daughter into a disciplined, grateful, productive adult. To succeed and grow in my business. To travel at least 4 weeks a year (half the time would be with daughter). To have $1M net worth by age 40.

Regarding current finances.

I'm pretty stabile here. No debt. $170k cash. $430k retirement. Everything is going in the right direction here so far. I am also a Fed with a pension. And have a small business.
Watty

Post by Watty »

Gardener wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 9:43 am Only wish was that I had more garage space to put motorcycles, other vehicles in. Currently, just have assigned underground parking (one spot, that I fit my motorcycle and car into). I could easily just stay here I suppose and suck up not having private garage space.
Have you looked into renting a garage or storage unit where you could store your motorcycles?
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

1. buying is a non-starter? Your ex wife could move, taking your daughter with her?

2. the obvious solution is secure storage for your motorcycle. That's going to be far cheaper than buying a home.

3. keep building your investment portfolio (which does not care where you live)

4. buy a home when you are ready and able to settle down again. In the meantime, stay renting - thus keeping your options open.
Topic Author
Gardener

Post by Gardener »

Good thoughts.

1. Renting does indeed make me more flexible. To challenge that, I'm pretty certain that this would be the neighborhood I'd like to settle down in. Granted, even still, maybe it still makes sense to just keep renting.

2. The thing with the motorcycles. That's my big hobby. It's nice to just hop on them and ride. I'd like to have about 3 or more of them. I know its not Bogleheadish and not practical from a financial perspective. It would be pure convenience just to have them in a private garage with me.

3. Agreed about focusing on investment portfolio. I guess my only challenge is to what end? I could buy the condo and still invest. It wouldn't be that much more than rent that I'm paying now, yeah?

Buying the condo would give me 25% more room inside, additional parking and storage (private garage), but acknowledge I'd be giving up flexibility (which admittedly is not a small thing).

4. Good points- I'm starting to lean back to renting. Thanks Valuethinker.

Appreciate any other insights.
Topic Author
Gardener

Post by Gardener »

Should I eliminate the townhouse option in the less desirable area and farther from work and daughter from consideration?

15 minutes away is not a lot, but is also not insignificant. Drop offs with daughter is a few days a week.

I realize these are personal, lifestyle decisions and ultimately Ill have to decide, but I appreciate the perspectives.
OnTrack2020

Post by OnTrack2020 »

Cross off #3. Location is everything, especially if you are currently happy. Plus, as you age, you will find out that going up and down 4 floors/flights of stairs is going to get old very quickly.

I would keep renting for a while, continue to save, and look for a standalone garage to rent.
Topic Author
Gardener

Post by Gardener »

Thanks @ontrack

That's what I was thinking. Location Location Location.

I think I've narrowed it down between continuing to rent and purchasing a condo. I really love the neighborhood I'm in.

Im not big into home projects and a lot of home maintenance. So another big reason not to buy a larger house than needed.

I'm only 38, so physical mobility isnt an issue until hopefully quite a bit longer down the road.
Lee_WSP

Post by Lee_WSP »

If your ex hasn't put down roots, I don't think it's wise for you to do so either.
Topic Author
Gardener

Post by Gardener »

Lee_WSP wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 12:57 pm If your ex hasn't put down roots, I don't think it's wise for you to do so either.
I think you are right.

But what if she takes years to put down roots? I'd just be in limbo indefinitely.

I believe she likes to stay in the area, but who knows?
Lee_WSP

Post by Lee_WSP »

Gardener wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 12:59 pm
Lee_WSP wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 12:57 pm If your ex hasn't put down roots, I don't think it's wise for you to do so either.
I think you are right.

But what if she takes years to put down roots? I'd just be in limbo indefinitely.

I believe she likes to stay in the area, but who knows?
Just because it is financially unwise doesn't mean you can't or shouldn't do it for other reasons. Just be aware of the risks and costs.

I'd be in a far different place if I took no risks when I was younger. Of course there are plenty of really bad choices as well.

You have to share your daughter. It's just a fact of life and if she's important, your life will more or less revolve around the school schedule, recitals, practices and whatnot. Then one day you'll blink and she'll be off to college, then you blink again and she's giving birth.

If you buy, it'll either be just another house, or the place you stayed in forever. Or something in between. Unfortunately it's not a purely financial choice. Just don't buy something you can't comfortably afford unless you're so darned sure you're willing to die a financial death over it.
Topic Author
Gardener

Post by Gardener »

Thanks Lee.

Good points.

Time with Daughter is definitely #1 priority. My happiness is #2!

$475k condo wouldn't be out of bounds for me I wouldn't think?

$750k town home in this neighborhood I currently live on 200k a year income would be absurd yeah?

I'll t all k to my ex and ask if she plans on staying in the local area...
Lee_WSP

Post by Lee_WSP »

Gardener wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 1:15 pm Thanks Lee.

Good points.

Time with Daughter is definitely #1 priority. My happiness is #2!

$475k condo wouldn't be out of bounds for me I wouldn't think?

$750k town home in this neighborhood I currently live on 200k a year income would be absurd yeah?

I'll t all k to my ex and ask if she plans on staying in the local area...
Here's my personal thoughts on condos:

I HATE them. My mom bought one, and I was effectively the owner in all but name. Dealing with the neighbors, the shared walls, the maintenance, the HOA (the HOA was the worst), management, owners who rent it out and don't care, the fact that it's more or less an apartment, etc etc made me really really hate the place.

Now, maybe if it were a luxury condo I would think differently of condos, but I think the downsides are going to be the same. If you desire a SFH that is detached, then you'll only ever truly be satisfied with a detached home.

I also cannot wrap my head around the price for housing in this country. So, I honestly have no idea anymore. I think it'd be a stretch, and like I said, if you're willing to risk your financial health on the purchase, you can swing it and make it work. You'll have to cut back on some other areas I don't think you're cutting back on now. But homeownership does have non financial advantages.
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

Gardener wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 12:56 pm I think I've narrowed it down between continuing to rent and purchasing a condo. I really love the neighborhood I'm in.
With your income and expected pension and current ability to save, you can afford to buy whenever you are ready and your retirement will still be fine.

I don't see any point in buying now, another 15 minutes away from your kid and work...in a neighborhood you don't love.

Wait until something you want comes up in the neighborhood you are in.
Topic Author
Gardener

Post by Gardener »

Thanks retiredjg.

I'm going to toss out the affordable townhouse in the less desirable neighborhood option.

Truthfully I guess theres no rush to move out of the apartment I'm in. It's very comfortable and makes my life easy. Great, quiet neighbors.

Maybe I could even save up in 3 years or so and buy the condo in cash.
Olemiss540

Post by Olemiss540 »

Any chance you could solve your problem by renting a shop/garage somewhere? For storing and tinkering on your toys when you wanted to relax?
I hold index funds because I do not overestimate my ability to pick stocks OR stock pickers.
Topic Author
Gardener

Post by Gardener »

@ olemiss. Yeah that is a possibility. I could also probably park another motorcycle at my parents too.

It's just a nice convenience to be able to walk down to your own garage and get on it and go or walk down in the evening and start tinkering.

Also, I'm on a wait list to get another garage spot at my apartment. But, I think the complex is hesitant to give me another spot because it may make other apartment units harder to rent when they don't come with parking. Right now, they have a spot just sitting there. I'm next on the wait list though.
TxAg

Post by TxAg »

I'd keep renting. Keep things simple.

Condo fees would be a a no-go for me.

Make sure you have lots of life insurance...kid and motorcycle and all that.
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

Gardener wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 9:43 am All thoughts, views on this are greatly appreciated! It was clarifying just writing all of this out. Thank you.
Rent, until you decide your priorities
- proximity to work/daughter?
- space for more motorcycles?
- very desirable neighborhood?
- comfort with the price range?
- etc?

Meanwhile perhaps you can find nearby private garage space to rent as well.
This isn't just my wallet. It's an organizer, a memory and an old friend.
finite_difference

Post by finite_difference »

Sell motorcycle or else purchase enough life insurance to cover your daughters and disability to cover yourself.

Chances are you’ll experience at least one significant injury if you keep riding and it probably won’t be your fault but a pothole or driver that doesn’t see you. Hence the 30x fatality rate and 8x injury rate compared to cars.

Motorcycles are fun, I’d just rather get myself killed doing something else (downhill skiing.)

Also I’d keep renting if you can rent for $2k instead of purchasing $470k+ with $300+ monthly fees on top. You’re getting a great deal right now. You might even be able to negotiate your rent down?
The most precious gift we can offer anyone is our attention. - Thich Nhat Hanh
FoolMeOnce

Post by FoolMeOnce »

You can afford the condo. If it isn't that big of an upgrade on renting, it might not be worth it. But even if buying ends up being a worse financial decision than renting, whether because of how the numbers play out over the years or because you only stay a short time, it's not like you are throwing $470k away. You would just lose the difference between the two choices, and the different is extremely unlikely to be enough that will derail your goals.

(But it might mean one fewer bike...)
stan1

Post by stan1 »

Gardener wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 9:43 am Cliff notes:

Dude, how about a house on some acreage with a new septic system and a mean neighbor? Seriously, are you ready to go at this again? :shock:

Personally I would not want a 4 story townhouse (at any age). Even if I was a CrossFit junkie I would not want to go up and down stairs from garage, to kitchen, to laundry, to restroom, to bedroom, to office, to daughter's room. A home like this just would not be desirable to me. And no a tiny slow elevator would not help either. Other people will see this townhouse the same way. Maybe there is something else special about it that will appeal?
leeks

Post by leeks »

Rent a spare garage in your neighborhood. Unless maybe a condo purchase would get you amenities (like a pool or playground) that you would enjoy using with your daughter.

Or, any chance you and your ex could coordinate and both buy in the same condo complex or otherwise get places that are within walking distance of each other? As long as you are confident in the local schools, that would be a great long-term setup.

I remember the years as an elementary-aged kid when I could bike between my mom's house and my dad's house. That really was the best case for a child of divorced parents because no one had to drive me in between. I could choose to pop in for extra visits with my dad whenever I wanted. I could go back to my mom's house to get stuff whenever I wanted even if it was a "dad weekend." I could hang with the same neighborhood friends at either place.

By high school, it was about a 30 minute drive between their houses. I spent a lot less time at my dad's house during my teenage years than I would have if I could have just biked over on my own anytime. All my friends were in my mom's neighborhood (where my school was). With after school activities and homework, it rarely felt feasible to get over to my dad's on weekday afternoons/evenings (he would have gladly picked me up, but the hour round-trip was a deterrent and I was old enough to choose). I mostly just saw him every other weekend (more in the summer).

When both parents had lived in the same neighborhood, I was able to go to his place after school two weekdays per week and I could sleep at either parent's house and still catch the bus to school in the morning. The joint custody was much more "joint" when both parents lived in the same neighborhood.
Last edited by leeks on Fri May 07, 2021 8:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Golf maniac

Post by Golf maniac »

For OP, the opinions on here are just that, opinions. Buying a house is a lifestyle. If you want the lifestyle work out a budget to see what you can afford. Homes are expensive and much more than the PITI. If you are long term committed to the area because of Fed job no problem buying because you will be there long term.
Topic Author
Gardener

Post by Gardener »

leeks wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 8:49 pm Rent a spare garage in your neighborhood. Unless maybe a condo purchase would get you amenities (like a pool or playground) that you would enjoy using with your daughter.

Or, any chance you and your ex could coordinate and both buy in the same condo complex or otherwise get places that are within walking distance of each other? As long as you are confident in the local schools, that would be a great long-term setup.

I remember the years as an elementary-aged kid when I could bike between my mom's house and my dad's house. That really was the best case for a child of divorced parents because no one had to drive me in between. I could choose to pop in for extra visits with my dad whenever I wanted. I could go back to my mom's house to get stuff whenever I wanted even if it was a "dad weekend." I could hang with the same neighborhood friends at either place.

By high school, it was about a 30 minute drive between their houses. I spent a lot less time at my dad's house during my teenage years than I would have if I could have just biked over on my own anytime. All my friends were in my mom's neighborhood (where my school was). With after school activities and homework, it rarely felt feasible to get over to my dad's on weekday afternoons/evenings (he would have gladly picked me up, but the hour round-trip was a deterrent and I was old enough to choose). I mostly just saw him every other weekend (more in the summer).

When both parents had lived in the same neighborhood, I was able to go to his place after school two weekdays per week and I could sleep at either parent's house and still catch the bus to school in the morning. The joint custody was much more "joint" when both parents lived in the same neighborhood.
Really helpful post! Thank you.
Topic Author
Gardener

Post by Gardener »

stan1 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 8:24 pm
Gardener wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 9:43 am Cliff notes:

Dude, how about a house on some acreage with a new septic system and a mean neighbor? Seriously, are you ready to go at this again? :shock:

Personally I would not want a 4 story townhouse (at any age). Even if I was a CrossFit junkie I would not want to go up and down stairs from garage, to kitchen, to laundry, to restroom, to bedroom, to office, to daughter's room. A home like this just would not be desirable to me. And no a tiny slow elevator would not help either. Other people will see this townhouse the same way. Maybe there is something else special about it that will appeal?
You know damn well I'm not buying another house in the country with a septic anytime soon next to a neighbor like that again :)
Topic Author
Gardener

Post by Gardener »

finite_difference wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 7:44 pm Sell motorcycle or else purchase enough life insurance to cover your daughters and disability to cover yourself.

Chances are you’ll experience at least one significant injury if you keep riding and it probably won’t be your fault but a pothole or driver that doesn’t see you. Hence the 30x fatality rate and 8x injury rate compared to cars.

Motorcycles are fun, I’d just rather get myself killed doing something else (downhill skiing.)

Also I’d keep renting if you can rent for $2k instead of purchasing $470k+ with $300+ monthly fees on top. You’re getting a great deal right now. You might even be able to negotiate your rent down?
Good points about insurance.

Very true about the dangers of motorcycles. I'm not under any illusion that they are safe. I do my best to mitigate the dangers through proper training, wearing all of the gear and riding sanely. Understand that I can still easily get wiped out by somebody else too though.

Very good point. Rent I suppose is pretty reasonable when you consider the $470k plus $300 monthly fees. Thanks!
Topic Author
Gardener

Post by Gardener »

Golf maniac wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 8:54 pm For OP, the opinions on here are just that, opinions. Buying a house is a lifestyle. If you want the lifestyle work out a budget to see what you can afford. Homes are expensive and much more than the PITI. If you are long term committed to the area because of Fed job no problem buying because you will be there long term.
Thank you! More and more I'm seeing that this current apartment fits my life and my daughter's life very well. It gives me flexibility, affordability, proximity to everything important to me. And I don't have to spend any time in home maintenance or even condo maintenance.
Topic Author
Gardener

Post by Gardener »

FoolMeOnce wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 7:54 pm You can afford the condo. If it isn't that big of an upgrade on renting, it might not be worth it. But even if buying ends up being a worse financial decision than renting, whether because of how the numbers play out over the years or because you only stay a short time, it's not like you are throwing $470k away. You would just lose the difference between the two choices, and the different is extremely unlikely to be enough that will derail your goals.

(But it might mean one fewer bike...)
Thank you. That's very true. In the long run, the financial aspect probably wont make a huge difference on long term financials.
Topic Author
Gardener

Post by Gardener »

Okay, I really appreciate everyones input.

I am going to go ahead and just rent my apartment. And make it as nice as possible as if it were my home.

Maybe I'll start another thread, but I believe I'm going to probably live in this apartment another 3-5 years. Should I go ahead and put the $150k I have in cash back in index funds? Thanks!
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

Gardener wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 10:52 am Maybe I'll start another thread, but I believe I'm going to probably live in this apartment another 3-5 years. Should I go ahead and put the $150k I have in cash back in index funds? Thanks!
Not yet. You have been planning to buy for long enough to save $150k. You've made this decision in a few days.

I'd keep it for a few months and see how this decision feels with a little time. Then invest. There's no rush.
neverpanic

Post by neverpanic »

Gardener wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 9:43 am close to my 4 year old daughter
That is all. Nothing more.
I am not a financial professional or guru. I'm a schmuck who got lucky 10 times. Such is the life of the trader.
Topic Author
Gardener

Post by Gardener »

retiredjg wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 11:13 am
Gardener wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 10:52 am Maybe I'll start another thread, but I believe I'm going to probably live in this apartment another 3-5 years. Should I go ahead and put the $150k I have in cash back in index funds? Thanks!
Not yet. You have been planning to buy for long enough to save $150k. You've made this decision in a few days.

I'd keep it for a few months and see how this decision feels with a little time. Then invest. There's no rush.
Wise advice. Thank you.
Topic Author
Gardener

Post by Gardener »

neverpanic wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 11:31 am
Gardener wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 9:43 am close to my 4 year old daughter
That is all. Nothing more.
You are right. As long as I'm in a safe neighborhood, proximity to daughter trumps everything else. Thanks.
Topic Author
Gardener

Post by Gardener »

Quick update.

Odd thing is after asking advice on here and generally seeing that renting exactly where I am makes the most sense, I am much happier. And just live my quiet place that much more.

I actually emailed the leasing office and they provided me another garage parking spot!

Thanks. Very grateful for the great advice on here!
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

Wow. You got everything you wanted!