credit card for IRS "Get Transcript" authorization

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
prd1982

credit card for IRS "Get Transcript" authorization

Post by prd1982 »

I would like to get my great niece registered for the online IRS "Get Transcript" function. Authorization requires a credit card. Unfortunately, she only has a debit card. If she is made an authorized user of my credit card, will that satisfy the Experian lookup that the IRS performs?

In addition, I'm going to have her use the IRS phone number to request a return transcript. I assume that is the same as the online "return transcript" function. She needs it as part of a FAFSA Dependency Override Appeal.

Thanks
Katietsu

Re: credit card for IRS "Get Transcript" authorization

Post by Katietsu »

On the same page as Get Transcript Online, it shows Get Transcript by Mail. You make the request online and then they send it to your address of record. No credit card or other account required. I am not sure if that is what you were referring to in the last paragraph or not.

Pre pandemic, the transcript was sent out within just a few days. Since it is an automated process, maybe this is still as fast. I am not sure if the phone ordered transcript would be as fast as the online request or not.

As to your original question, it seems unlikely that, even if it it was a valid workaround, that it would be immediately effective. But I am just guessing, I have no actual knowledge.
neverpanic

Post by neverpanic »

If her debit card is not sufficient to prove identity, I believe the by mail option would be much faster than adding her to your credit card for the authorization.
I am not a financial professional or guru. I'm a schmuck who got lucky 10 times. Such is the life of the trader.
Topic Author
prd1982

Post by prd1982 »

Thanks everyone. We did request the transcript by mail. Just not sure if this is fully automated or not. If not, I'm concerned it could be delayed by a month or more, similar to other IRS mail items.