Life Estate vs property gains tax

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
AgCOIN6

Life Estate vs property gains tax

Post by AgCOIN6 »

Hello Bogleheads .... wishing everyone well
hoping to find some clarity around a situation i am in / if anyone could help ; it would be greatly appreciated .
---------------------
My mother passed in 2018. Through a life estate she established many, many years ago .... my brother, sister, and myself have sole ownership of
the 27 acre estate ( house on property unlivable / dilapidated as far back as 7 yrs. ago ). Life estate has all 3 of our names on it .
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My siblings and myself have sold the property April 2021 . Lawyer which created the deed of sale ( properly ) reported sale of land to IRS . Money,
generated from the sale of the property was written into three separate checks for us ... to eliminate one person having to report such a high value
on their own personal taxes.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Question to audience : does a life-estate hold any power of eliminating a personal gains tax for my siblings and myself ( when we sold the property ) ?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Question to audience : if NO to the above question ..... then we would be responsible for paying for a property gains tax based on the year my
mother passed away in 2018 . In 2018, the county property appraisal and tax payment ( governing body ) has listed on
their web page as the property tax equating to $ 374.75 for 2018 and that it was paid . What 'equation' will I be using
in determining the exact amount of property gains tax i will owe in 2022 for the sale made in 2021 ? Again, the property
was sold with a dilapidated / shell of a home on it ; no value .

Any help / comments would be greatly appreciated .

Signed -

AgCOIN6