What to do if I’m not good at my job but I’m paid well?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
bigtex

What to do if I’m not good at my job but I’m paid well?

Post by bigtex »

It seems like every job I find myself in, I am constantly getting corrected by my managers for errors and mistakes. I am working hard trying my best and fixing the errors, but it is sort of demoralizing and makes me feel like I’m not cut out for this job / career. The problem is I am paid well, but I don’t feel like I am a valuable part of the company since I seem to be slowing others down. Any advice for me? Maybe I am a slow learner but it seems like I never have the right training or skills to do the job well?
afan

Re: What to do if I’m not good at my job but I’m paid well?

Post by afan »

If it is lack of training and skills, then those can be learned. I am sure it is disheartening to get the sort of feedback you describe, but that can be corrected. It the work pays well and you like it for a career, then you may just need some training. Depending on what it is, you may want anything from formal coursework, to on the job training to Youtube videos.
If you have a job that pays well and has a future, I would try to plug the gaps.
We don't know how to beat the market on a risk-adjusted basis, and we don't know anyone that does know either | --Swedroe | We assume that markets are efficient, that prices are right | --Fama
Tiny Portfolio

Post by Tiny Portfolio »

Keep your mouth shut, and cash your check!
tedgeorge

Post by tedgeorge »

No good manager expects you to be perfect out of the gate. You learn by making mistakes and getting advice on how to not make those mistakes in the future. I have yet to have a job where the training is perfect before you start. Most hardly have any training and you are left to hopefully learn from your co-workers. Keep learning and working at it. Write down the things you don't understand and go ask for help.

If they don't want to help or make time to help you improve, then it may be time to find something else.
hi_there

Post by hi_there »

What sort of education or training can you participate in to add special skills that the team doesn't already have? Anyway, in the unlikely event that you are just not able to excel, a lot of people keep going in their jobs as work horses. Just be reliable and don't make the same mistake twice.
GoneCamping

Post by GoneCamping »

If you are paid well but making mistakes that your managers are helping you correct, then you're a valued employee learning on the job. The key is not to make the same mistakes repeatedly because then you're not learning. It's growth, it's actually a good thing, and if they are willing to pay you and keep you around, apparently they see your value as an employee even if maybe you do not. :happy
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

bigtex wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:32 am It seems like every job I find myself in, I am constantly getting corrected by my managers for errors and mistakes. I am working hard trying my best and fixing the errors, but it is sort of demoralizing and makes me feel like I’m not cut out for this job / career. The problem is I am paid well, but I don’t feel like I am a valuable part of the company since I seem to be slowing others down. Any advice for me? Maybe I am a slow learner but it seems like I never have the right training or skills to do the job well?
Why?

Lack of skills?
Education?
Training?
Motivation?
Ambition?
Not a good fit for the career/job/occupation. (For example: a job requiring manual dexterity but one is naturally clumsy, or a job requiring math and analytical skills but one is not naturally wired that way, or job requires musical ability but one has no sense of being on key)

The "elephant in the room" here is that if you are not very very competent at your job, or at least the equal to your peers and coworkers, then, unless it is a very secure institutional or gov't job of some sort where there are no work standards to begin with, then you will risk being let go, fired, or transferred, etc, eventually.

Actionable solutions:

Get help from your peers and coworkers, someone you admire not as a friend but as a high level producer. Ask, Be humble. Learn.
Etc.

Improve, strive, learn, work 2x as hard and as long as others, and keep doing that.

or, find a field or job that fits your skills, ambition level, and demeanor, if that is what is rewarding to you personally.

All of the above are good and useful things even if you were already good at your job.
j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
lucky_tech_guy

Post by lucky_tech_guy »

Try making a checklist of your common errors and review it before submitting your work or sending an email
azanon

Post by azanon »

So you'd prefer not to have feedback on how you can improve? Are you not getting any positive comments on what you're doing well?

I suspect you're equating feedback on how to improve, with a definition presumption that you're just not good at your job, which would be a mistake.
davibi02

Post by davibi02 »

bigtex wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:32 am Maybe I am a slow learner but it seems like I never have the right training or skills to do the job well?
It sounds like you're getting the skills right now! Growth can be painful, but as long as you're learning from the experience(s) I'd encourage you to take it on the chin and stay in the fight. You'll come out the other side with hard-fought knowledge and probably some empathy and understanding of how to be a better teacher/mentor than those you're learning from.
dstac

Post by dstac »

Mistakes are part of learning and improving. Hopefully, the feedback is constructive.

A good manager who helps coach you up is very different than one who simply calls out errors.

"with every job I find myself in" sounds like you've bounced around a bit over the past few years. This can be challenging to get a good rhythm and build good coaching relationships.

Persist and acknowledge what is going well too.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

bigtex wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:32 am It seems like every job I find myself in, I am constantly getting corrected by my managers for errors and mistakes. I am working hard trying my best and fixing the errors, but it is sort of demoralizing and makes me feel like I’m not cut out for this job / career. The problem is I am paid well, but I don’t feel like I am a valuable part of the company since I seem to be slowing others down. Any advice for me? Maybe I am a slow learner but it seems like I never have the right training or skills to do the job well?
You say that this happens in "every job"... suggesting that you've had more than one, and that you feel you are constantly getting corrected by the series (even if only 2 or 3) of managers.

So... how did you get hired for the jobs after the first?
Presumably you had some skills to discuss with the next employer, a resume documenting that, and - importantly - references?
(Have you ever actually been fired, or just "changed jobs" by choice?)

Is it possible that you are being too critical of yourself?

There is a phenomenon known as the "imposter syndrome", where one feels inadequate despite being qualified (it's a bit more complicated but that's the short version).

https://www.google.com/search?client=sa ... 8&oe=UTF-8

It's especially common in certain situations (e.g., if taking a new job with a terrific fancy title at a fancy big name firm, from a less prestigious one)

Perhaps at next performance review, try to focus on one "issue" and ask manager what they'd recommend for you to work on that. Then focus on improving that so that YOU feel that you are improving/doing well.
Part of most work situations is improving, even for the best of the best. That can be progress.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

Definitely read up in imposter syndrome. It sounds like you have it. Not surprising. Most everyone does.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

It's not necessarily an issue per se if you can keep keeping your job. I think you just have to train yourself more, reflect on why you're making the mistakes, self-study on weekends etc etc to improve your craft, stuff like that.
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

bigtex wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:32 am It seems like every job I find myself in, I am constantly getting corrected by my managers for errors and mistakes.
How many jobs have you had?
I am working hard trying my best and fixing the errors, but it is sort of demoralizing and makes me feel like I’m not cut out for this job / career. The problem is I am paid well, but I don’t feel like I am a valuable part of the company since I seem to be slowing others down. Any advice for me? Maybe I am a slow learner but it seems like I never have the right training or skills to do the job well?
Are you sure it's a training issue? If so, request training.
If it's ability/skills, maybe you are in the wrong job.
This isn't just my wallet. It's an organizer, a memory and an old friend.
bengal22

Post by bengal22 »

You may be too sensitive. Boss is just trying to point out areas for improvement. Each comment is an opportunity to improve. The boss is helping you prioritize by highlighting what is important. I would rather have a boss that told me my mistakes than the weak ones that don't say anything but give you very little raises. Sounds like you are on the right track. Just work on your low self esteem.
"Earn All You Can; Give All You Can; Save All You Can." .... John Wesley
smalliebigs

Post by smalliebigs »

Everyone starts off not knowing the ropes. Keep at it, give it some time. Have confidence, but also humble in learning. You'll pick it up in no time.
billthecat

Post by billthecat »

"Fake it till you make it" as they say.

Enjoy the money, and the pedigree you get from working there.

And always, always be ready to stand up and walk out. Ready financially, ready emotionally.
We cannot direct the winds but we can adjust our sails • It's later than you think • Ack! Thbbft!
dboeger1

Post by dboeger1 »

In addition to impostor syndrome, could you be suffering from other things like job dissatisfaction, problems at home, depression, an identity crisis, etc.? The reason I ask is that when it comes to more psychological issues, they can often be very difficult to self-diagnose and acknowledge because the brain makes up stories to fill voids in our lives when really, there are often very deep-rooted subconscious reasons for our feelings and behaviors. As others have pointed out, there are pretty concrete ways of improving your job performance and qualifications, but it may just be that you're not feeling fulfilled elsewhere in life and it's manifesting as feeling inadequate at work.

It's kind of like when kids don't get good grades in school, they often say it's because the teacher hates them, even though that's almost never true. It's easier for kids' minds to accept that story than it is to admit their own faults and analyze how to improve. I remember being quite poor in high school and suffering from what I now believe was depression resulting from that, even though I never got help or a formal diagnosis at the time. After graduating and starting work, I just felt so accustomed to being poor and seeing living costs rising around me, I thought I would never be able to afford a house or anything like that, so in my mind, I came up with all these ridiculous plans about how as soon as I had enough money, I would move out to the country and live off grid with minimal expenses by isolating myself from society. It took me years to break out of that mentality and realize that actually, I had the education and income to do quite well, and the savings/investing habit to do well financially compared to many of my peers who actually earn significantly higher salaries than I do. We recently bought a house in a high cost of living area while still in our 20s, and the feeling I got was that many of our friends and coworkers who earn more than we do were quite surprised because even many high earners here believe they will never be able to afford homes here. I'm now able to accept that the sky is the limit and I can really achieve more success than I had ever imagined back when I was poor if I take the right steps and put in the work, but my mind really struggled to accept that years ago. I had a pretty rough start to my career much like what you described in part because of those mental issues.

I suggest you take a really good look at what might be impacting your motivation and other factors related to your performance at work. It might not even be all on you. I know one of the things that really drained my motivation was learning that people were getting promotions without raises just to squeeze more productivity out of them, which made me feel like there was little incentive to climb the ladder. Over time, I think I've just come to accept that work life is far from perfect in many companies, and I need to just focus on myself and what I can do. Maybe if you can find the things that are messing with your head now and address or even just acknowledge them, you can get back to focusing on the concrete things people listed above.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

How did your manager answer these questions? A good leader will coach you to greatness (or best of your ability).
Also - make sure you aren't simply suffering from imposter syndrome.
chw

Post by chw »

Perhaps “fake it til you make it” - seriously... I went thru a forced job change during the Great Recession, and was fortunate to land a job in a related field to what I used to do for work. I didn’t really know what I was doing for about 3 years (and about 5 years until I was proficient). I just kept showing up to work, doing what was asked, going to meetings, and continually worked to master each aspect of my job role. Perhaps seek out a mentor within your field that can assist with your career development.

I think Woody Allen once said that- 85% of life is just showing up- which I believe to be true...
Last edited by chw on Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vanguard Fan 1367

Post by Vanguard Fan 1367 »

I like what one of my mentors said, "some continuing education could be better." (Or actually be bad!)

If you can find good continuing education in your field then it might be something to consider finding the time and the money to take it and to really focus on learning it.
John Bogle: "It's amazing how difficult it is for a man to understand something if he's paid a small fortune not to understand it."
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

Be fast and accurate. If you make a mistake, learn and do not make that mistake again. Apply that mistake to other areas.

To succeed in most companies you have to be fast and accurate.

Slow and accurate doesn't usually fly long. Fast and error prone doesn't usually fly long. Slow and error prone is the double bust.

If you learn A and B is similar, you have to be able to do B without making errors.

You can overlay personality traits on these. If you are grumpy, mean, a gossiper and are fast and accurate, you still might be out.

If you are new at your role, it will come. If you have been doing the same thing for a while and keep making mistakes, are slow or both, maybe it is time to look at something else. It may be the work is not enough to get you to raise the bar high enough.
mmmodem

Post by mmmodem »

Agree with above. Fake it until yo make it. You'd be surprised by the number of people who feel exactly the same as you. https://time.com/5312483/how-to-deal-wi ... -syndrome/
Firemenot

Post by Firemenot »

Are you sure you aren’t being overly sensitive to constructive feedback? Especially if you’re in the early/growth phase of learning your craft?
foo.c

Post by foo.c »

If you haven't been written up yet you are probably on an OK path.

Having been on a few teams with varying levels of ability, my opinion is don't fake it and don't lie or try to blame anyone else. I have been on teams where that would happen and it didn't end well. I'd rather have someone who struggles but is transparent than the opposite.
bogledogle

Post by bogledogle »

Tiny Portfolio wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:40 am Keep your mouth shut, and cash your check!
+1 Get em money bags! 8-)

OP,

You don't give ay details about your profession, skills and what feedback you are getting. It is impossible to give any valuable feedback. For all I know, you might be a genius stuck with streak of awful managers :happy

It might be helpful for you to talk to someone in your profession or close to it.
oilrig

Post by oilrig »

I work in HR for a large organization and have observed probably thousands of employees directly and indirectly. As harsh as it sounds, the truth is some people just suck at their jobs. Some people suck at working period. No matter what they do or how hard they try, they are always going to be a poor performer compared to their peers for one reason or another.

My advice is to be perfect in all other areas. Show up early, be personable, get along with your boss and coworkers, volunteer for all the crap no one wants to do. You get the picture. Be a pleasant coworker to be around and your work performance will almost be secondary. You can be the employee in the world but if you are unpleasant to be around then you wont last very long.
Vanguard Fan 1367

Post by Vanguard Fan 1367 »

foo.c wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:25 pm If you haven't been written up yet you are probably on an OK path.

Having been on a few teams with varying levels of ability, my opinion is don't fake it and don't lie or try to blame anyone else. I have been on teams where that would happen and it didn't end well. I'd rather have someone who struggles but is transparent than the opposite.
I was an employer for most of my career. I agree, I don't like lying and I don't like the blame game. Lying and blaming are pretty common in my experience.
John Bogle: "It's amazing how difficult it is for a man to understand something if he's paid a small fortune not to understand it."
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

That can involve a lot of deep thought and soul searching. On one hand sometimes going to work everyday to a job you don’t enjoy can become such a grind. On the other hand, perhaps additional training and networking may open other opportunities. I have always focused on the later.

I also weigh this against becoming more financially secure or perhaps achieving financial independence earlier.

Stay strong!
Tony
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Firemenot wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:25 pm Are you sure you aren’t being overly sensitive to constructive feedback? Especially if you’re in the early/growth phase of learning your craft?
I had a mentor early in my career who advise that I become a “sponge and absorb everything I could”. That was some of the best career advice I ever received.

Tony
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Escapevelocity

Post by Escapevelocity »

Tiny Portfolio wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:40 am Keep your mouth shut, and cash your check!
Spit out my coffee on this post LOL Lmao
BatBuckeye

Post by BatBuckeye »

I agree with Oilrig. +
If you are salaried I suggest starting a little earlier and staying a little later.
On a team I had two opposites, Quik was quik but the work was often incorrect.
Slow was slow but the work was correct. Always.
They often provided work for another team. That team preferred work that was always right.
What are some things you are working to to make improvements?
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

You’re probably doing just fine. If you weren’t, they’d put you on some sort of documented improvement plan

This could be imposter syndrome. Or you could be overly sensitive.

But here’s my guess. Companies just don’t train employees anymore, and they don’t really document how they do things, and what the expectations are. It sounds bad, but it’s how we do it too.

And so what this looks like, is we just generally tell people to get stuff done. Then if they do something wrong, we correct them. And the process keeps repeating, basically forever. It has no end, because we don’t formalize our processes, so they change on a whim. So maybe that’s what you are experiencing. And yes, it would be a lot easier just to tell people up front how to do their jobs.
Watty

Post by Watty »

One thing that has not been mentioned is if there are cultural differences between your work environment and your background and that could make the feedback seem harsher than it is intended.

The cultural differences can be a lot more than just if you are from different countries since even things like East Coast/West Coast, Rural/Urban, etc can make a big difference. Some companies also have a company specific culture.

If you are a woman then you might want to see if you can connect with other women in business that might be able to coach you with how to deal corrections, criticisms, and confrontation at work since at least stereotypically that is something many women don't have a lot of roll models for.
spammagnet

Post by spammagnet »

bigtex wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:32 amIt seems like every job I find myself in, I am constantly getting corrected by my managers for errors and mistakes.
Have you been involuntarily terminated from a series of jobs? If not, it would seem that previous employers have considered your performance satisfactory. If so, consider personal counseling to help you determine whether you're sabotaging yourself somehow. In either case, seek career counseling in how you can improve your skills.