Crazy Situation - Acura Dealer Gave Me Car With Wrong VIN Number - Wants to Swap Cars?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
HomeStretch

Re: Crazy Situation - Acura Dealer Gave Me Car With Wrong VIN Number - Wants to Swap Cars?

Post by HomeStretch »

UsualLine wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:39 am I would check with my insurance company before driving that "wrong" car anywhere to make sure I was covered.
+1

Call your insurer before you drive the car another mile.

My dealer transposed two VIN numbers when sending info to my insurer for a temporary insurance card needed to drive the car off the lot. After discovering the error awhile later, I called my insurer. The rep said it was a big deal and luckily I hadn’t had a claim. Insurers can deny claims for inaccuracies.
mrspock

Re: Crazy Situation - Acura Dealer Gave Me Car With Wrong VIN Number - Wants to Swap Cars?

Post by mrspock »

I’ll be frank: If you wreck the current car, what then? If I was your insurance company I’m not paying you a dime if the VIN doesn’t match. If the cops pull you over you are also going to have a big problem if the plate doesn’t match the VIN.

Swap the cars.
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

VoiceOfReason wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:12 am As far as registration, title, etc is concerned don’t you actually own the car the dealer has, not the one you have?

I’d just go in,let them upgrade, (I’d actually demand the dealer cough up more, free oil changes, additional upgrades or something for their screw up and haste to you) swap it out, switch plates and confirm u don’t have to do anything w registration and be done. You just got a free 1200 miles.
Exactly. What paperwork?
stan1 wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:13 am Sounds like they want to do an under the table swap to correct their mistake. This may be the path of least resistance for you as well assuming the cars are identical with the rack and floor matts installed. If they wanted to play hard ball they could report the vehicle as stolen. The state trooper who pulls you over probably would think the vehicle is stolen if VIN is checked and it doesn't match.
Not sure what's under the table about the deal. What's the alternative?

Reporting the car stolen? Never. Imagine the bad press and lawsuits.

BTW, I had problems registering my car at the DMV because they said I didn't have insurance (but I did, or so I though). Took me a while to figure out the wrong VIN was used (technically, maybe I didn't have insurance). I wonder if I had a claim whether the insurance would have tried to get out of responsibility because of a stupid error like that.
jumppilot wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:20 am
BolderBoy wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:06 am
Baseballmom94 wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:08 amIt's an equal trade - same vehicle - same options. No additional taxes.
So from a practical standpoint, you've had a loaner vehicle from the dealership all this time, while your actual vehicle was being prepped for you.

I don't see a problem here, except for the embarrassment due the dealership.
That’s how I see it. Swap plates, registration and title matches the VIN of your “new” care and everything is in order.

What dealership is this? I want to take advantage of their “loaner” program!
These days, I would have expected them to offer to bring the car to you and do just that. Or if it's convenient for you to stop by the dealership and your preference, they would offer you a coffee -- wait Acura, make that an espresso or cappuccino. I wouldn't worry about insurance. The risk is negligible and someone is going to cover it.
BruDude wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:26 am Ask them to throw in some free oil changes for the trouble, I'm sure they can do that.
Yup, that's what I was going to suggest. Mountain molehill.
HomeStretch wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:38 am Insurers can deny claims for inaccuracies.
INAL. So they claim, but really for a typo? Or for such a simple mistake. I hope judges are far more reasonable.
Topic Author
Baseballmom94

Post by Baseballmom94 »

Thank you so much for all the helpful responses! I thought I had the whole car negotiation thing behind me (orginally got $11,500 off sticker) and then this pops up! Seems like there is no downside with essentially driving a loaner car for free the past few months. Someone from the dealer is bringing the new car for us to inspect this afternoon and then they will install the new accessories and swap out the car tomorrow - I will not have to change anything with insurance or license plates/registration as long as I confirm the new car has the correct VIN number. I did ask for some free oil changes since I didn't negotiate this the first time around so we'll see what happens with that. Thank you again, Bogleheads - you all are the best! :happy
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

Baseballmom94 wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:54 am This is a completely new situation in my last 30 years of buying cars. Is there anything weird going on with this situation that I should be aware of?? Should I ask for additional compensation?
It's weird in that I've never heard of such a thing happening.

Just swap the cars and be happy. No reason to try and gouge the dealer.
This isn't just my wallet. It's an organizer, a memory and an old friend.
bampf

Post by bampf »

Baseballmom94 wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:52 am ... I did ask for some free oil changes...
I'm not sure I understand this. The dealership made a mistake, which benefits you. They are going to correct the mistake and apparently have been above board and acted in good faith. Why would anyone expect free oil changes? Should we capitalize on the misfortune of others assuming that there was no ill intent? Or free anything for that matter? I certainly don't object to compensation for something that causes me to have to work or do something to correct their mistake, but, apparently that isn't the case here. Why should you get more? It is a legitimately puzzling question for me. I wonder if I am missing something. And to be clear, you may get more, but, why is that the right thing to do?
Nescio
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

tibbitts wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:26 am So to clarify, the insurance and title and purchase contract all have the correct VIN; the OP just has the wrong car? So no paperwork changes are necessary?
It's a mismatch between paperwork and reality. You can correct it by fixing the paperwork or the reality.

It's a strange reversal, where changing a number on paper (or in the computer) is harder than physically.

Good thing you didn't etch the wrong VIN on a different vehicle.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/vin-cloning-t ... d=28401709

OP, ask the dealer for a Carfax for both cars! Maybe negotiate a free annual Carfax on your vehicle or whenever you need to check on it in case there's ever a problem.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

It would be good to compare the window stickers line-by-line. Do cars still come with build sheets, or are they available in electronic form? That might be another way to compare the specifications to make sure the vehicles are the same.
helloeveryone

Post by helloeveryone »

campy2010 wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:11 am Congratulations! You accidentally stole a car. Bank error in your favor...enjoy the new one with 42 miles on it.

Make sure the dealer pays for any registration, emissions, and other fees you may have to pay again with the new car.
Haha. He "stole" a car, and paid off a car he didn't buy. Craziest story ever and it sounds like everything should turn out okay.
Gort

Post by Gort »

Baseballmom94 wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:54 am Here's a situation I've never encountered: I bought a 2020 Acura MDX on Feb. 27 and have been happily driving it since then. Great car and nice slight upgrade from my 2014 MDX.

Today the dealer calls and says they gave me the wrong car which has a different VIN number than the paperwork. I have already paid off the car and received the title and just confirmed that the title VIN number does not match the VIN number on the vehicle.

They dealer wants to swap cars with me and give me the car with the correct VIN number which only has 42 miles on it compared to the 1200 I've put on my current MDX. They will install the roof racks and all-weather mats that I have on my current vehicle.

This is a completely new situation in my last 30 years of buying cars. Is there anything weird going on with this situation that I should be aware of?? Should I ask for additional compensation?
When you got the car registered, did you physically have to take it in to the DMV for them to verify the VIN? In Idaho, when registering a vehicle for the first time, DMV requires this.
MindBogler

Post by MindBogler »

rich126 wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:23 am
MindBogler wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:19 am Funny story. Just make sure the VIN is correct this time and then enjoy your 2nd new car this year.
I think I will now add "Verify VIN is correct" to my list of things to do when buying a car.
It never would have dawned on me to be concerned about this but given this person's experience it sounds like a wise, and simple, thing to check!
MindBogler

Post by MindBogler »

Gort wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:58 pm
Baseballmom94 wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:54 am Here's a situation I've never encountered: I bought a 2020 Acura MDX on Feb. 27 and have been happily driving it since then. Great car and nice slight upgrade from my 2014 MDX.

Today the dealer calls and says they gave me the wrong car which has a different VIN number than the paperwork. I have already paid off the car and received the title and just confirmed that the title VIN number does not match the VIN number on the vehicle.

They dealer wants to swap cars with me and give me the car with the correct VIN number which only has 42 miles on it compared to the 1200 I've put on my current MDX. They will install the roof racks and all-weather mats that I have on my current vehicle.

This is a completely new situation in my last 30 years of buying cars. Is there anything weird going on with this situation that I should be aware of?? Should I ask for additional compensation?
When you got the car registered, did you physically have to take it in to the DMV for them to verify the VIN? In Idaho, when registering a vehicle for the first time, DMV requires this.
Good point!
runninginvestor

Post by runninginvestor »

SteadyOne wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:11 am
runninginvestor wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:43 am I had a friend walk out and drive away with the wrong Audi once. You're fortunate they aknowleged the mistake as it clears the way for any potential liability to be put on them.

My friend only had the car for a few hours before he realized things didn't match and drove it back. The dealership had already called the police, threatened to arrest him, and was angry at him though, which I do not understand. Apparently the police were a little more reasonable once he told his side of the story and realized it wasn't an actual theft.
The dealer gave him the car key, right? Then it’s not theft. I would have sued the dealer for thousands for this sort of intimidation and filing false police report.
I'm not sure there are specifics, but either way it was the dealer's negligence. It might have been a situation where it was a bigger dealership and they had multiple cars with keys in them that they were selling. But that's their fault for not walking my friend directly to the car, and for keeping the keys in the car that you are bringing around to sell.

Funny thing is, my friend is a lawyer :-) I think he just shrugged it off and was just annoyed.
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

Gort wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:58 pm

I've never taken a car to the DMV for this. In most states, the dealership takes care of everything for you and the plates show up in the mail. :wink:
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, EV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

MindBogler wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:10 pm
MindBogler wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:19 am Funny story. Just make sure the VIN is correct this time and then enjoy your 2nd new car this year.
I think I will now add "Verify VIN is correct" to my list of things to do when buying a car.
It never would have dawned on me to be concerned about this but given this person's experience it sounds like a wise, and simple, thing to check!
Absolutely is. While I can't fault the OP for not checking, it is something you want to check anyway. They didn't even have to wait for the title to check the VIN, as VIN is written everywhere during the car buying process.

Now, please excuse me while I go check my VIN.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

RickBoglehead wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:19 pm I've never taken a car to the DMV for this. In most states, the dealership takes care of everything for you and the plates show up in the mail. :wink:
Absolutely, in my location where there is one DMV office per about 500,000 people it would be crazy to have to go to send people to the DMV in person every time a car (new or used) was bought from a dealership. It has been done by US mail for decades.
MishkaWorries

Post by MishkaWorries »

Baseballmom94 wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:52 am Thank you so much for all the helpful responses! I thought I had the whole car negotiation thing behind me (orginally got $11,500 off sticker) and then this pops up! Seems like there is no downside with essentially driving a loaner car for free the past few months. Someone from the dealer is bringing the new car for us to inspect this afternoon and then they will install the new accessories and swap out the car tomorrow - I will not have to change anything with insurance or license plates/registration as long as I confirm the new car has the correct VIN number. I did ask for some free oil changes since I didn't negotiate this the first time around so we'll see what happens with that. Thank you again, Bogleheads - you all are the best! :happy
I agree there should be some written record of what happened that everyone signs off on.

I would tell them to give me a new VIN search and copies of any maintenance or repair work done on the "new" car. It's unlikely but what if the car was damaged in a test drive and that's how they figured out the VIN issue.

If everything is exactly the same then just switch the plates and be done.
Last edited by MishkaWorries on Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We plan. G-d laughs.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

RickBoglehead wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:19 pm I've never taken a car to the DMV for this. In most states, the dealership takes care of everything for you and the plates show up in the mail. :wink:
But this is another example where experiences will vary widely. I've had the insurance company verify the VIN for example. I've had dealers just send you off to deal with the registration and paperwork entierely yourself - still collecting their "doc fee" of course. Here we have tag agents, not the DMV, but it's still up to you to deal with all the paperwork at some dealers - but not others.
surfstar

Post by surfstar »

MindBogler wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:10 pm
Snap a photo with your phone so you can compare it when sitting at the finance desk.
Gort

Post by Gort »

stan1 wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:24 pm
Absolutely, in my location where there is one DMV office per about 500,000 people it would be crazy to have to go to send people to the DMV in person every time a car (new or used) was bought from a dealership. It has been done by US mail for decades.
Gee whiz - tough crowd here sometimes! I didn't say it was the most efficient way of getting your plates (although in lower populated areas it's not a problem and it works well to avoid issues like the OP's). I was simply asking if the OP had to go to the DMV.
PVW

Post by PVW »

HomeStretch wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:38 am
UsualLine wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:39 am I would check with my insurance company before driving that "wrong" car anywhere to make sure I was covered.
+1

Call your insurer before you drive the car another mile.

My dealer transposed two VIN numbers when sending info to my insurer for a temporary insurance card needed to drive the car off the lot. After discovering the error awhile later, I called my insurer. The rep said it was a big deal and luckily I hadn’t had a claim. Insurers can deny claims for inaccuracies.
About a year after I bought a new Chevy pick up, my insurance agent calls and leaves a message saying they have a question about my Cadillac. Turns out they had the wrong VIN. I had no part in this mistake - the agent took the VIN off the vehicle in his parking lot. They corrected the mistake and everything was fine. I don't recall if there was any change in the cost of insurance.

If I'd made a claim while paying for the wrong VIN, I assume I'd still have the coverage I thought. Either through the good will of the insurance company, or the Errors and Omissions coverage of the agent. Maybe I'm wrong.
Steve747

Post by Steve747 »

[ ....
Last edited by Steve747 on Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PVW

Post by PVW »

Steve747 wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:48 pm
mmmodem wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:36 am
Watty wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:44 am I would have them deliver the new car to you and not drive the other car since you do not have car insurance on it. Get a rental car until then if you need to, the dealership should reimburse you for that.
^This. Don't drive that car again.

Sounds like an honest mistake at the dealer. You will be compensated by delivery of a vehicle with 1152 fewer miles. And make sure it has a full tank of gas. My guess is that the dealer will assign your vehicle as their new service loaner vehicle so they do not lose any more money on the transaction.
Absolutely, do NOT drive that car. No insurance, plates are on the wrong car, unregistered, cop pulls you over for anything (good luck) or an accident on the way to the dealer.
If the dealer wants to tow it, or come with the new car and pick up the one you have would be acceptable.

I would call my Ins. broker as well to inform him of what's going on.
The driver is insured and the police don't often match physical VIN numbers to the registration unless there is a specific reason.

If you are uncomfortable driving the car, the dealer can use his/her dealer plates and then everything is above board.
Mike Scott

Post by Mike Scott »

Why do you think you have a choice in this matter? You don't own the car you are driving. Of course, the dealer should pay for any costs due to their mistake.
jack.bauer

Post by jack.bauer »

strafe wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:28 am There is so much bad advice in this thread, I don't even know where to begin!

You need to take possession of your car and return the dealer's car.

What's so hard about that?
+1; seems like a mistake. People (at businesses) make mistakes. And this one seems to be all in your favor. No downsides as far as i can see.
MarkNYC

Post by MarkNYC »

What if the car the OP actually bought and owns was not identical to the one he's been driving? Suppose it had some features he didn't like, what would his options be?
Northern Flicker

Post by Northern Flicker »

The dealer wants to deliver your car to you, and wants their car back. Seems straightforward.
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

Watty wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:44 am I would have them deliver the new car to you and not drive the other car since you do not have car insurance on it. Get a rental car until then if you need to, the dealership should reimburse you for that.

Sounds like an honest mistake at the dealer. You will be compensated by delivery of a vehicle with 1152 fewer miles. And make sure it has a full tank of gas. My guess is that the dealer will assign your vehicle as their new service loaner vehicle so they do not lose any more money on the transaction.
Absolutely, do NOT drive that car. No insurance, plates are on the wrong car, unregistered, cop pulls you over for anything (good luck) or an accident on the way to the dealer.
If the dealer wants to tow it, or come with the new car and pick up the one you have would be acceptable.

How is it any different than just being on a test drive? He’s driving a vehicle that is owned by the dealership. He’s been on a very long test drive. He also happens to own an identical vehicle that he parks at the dealer for some reason.....

But I get what you’re saying. If you don’t want to risk any further headaches and hassles, best to leave it parked. And hope it doesn’t get scratches or something......
egrets

Post by egrets »

jumppilot wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:41 am
My insurance covers in the case of a “non-owned” car. Otherwise, we’d see tons of problems with people driving their friends/relatives cars.

The insurance industry has figured this one out long ago. If in doubt, call your insurance.
I'm expecting to drive a loaner shortly so I called AMICA and they said they cover it and they cover rental cars.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

egrets wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:04 pm
jumppilot wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:41 am
My insurance covers in the case of a “non-owned” car. Otherwise, we’d see tons of problems with people driving their friends/relatives cars.

The insurance industry has figured this one out long ago. If in doubt, call your insurance.
I'm expecting to drive a loaner shortly so I called AMICA and they said they cover it and they cover rental cars.
Most auto insurance (mine anyway!) cover cars owned by others if driven with permission.
The dealer definitely "gave permission" for OP to drive that car!

There was probably even a little ceremony to mark the occasion of the granting of "permission" :D
... and some paperwork that the dealer provided to document this little ceremony.

If the dealer made any mistake in the ceremonial proceedings, that wouldn't mean that the entire intent and purpose of the ceremony suddenly didn't exist.

Now the dealer has notified OP that the permission is being rescinded, please bring the car back, and they're "giving you permission" to drive a different car, as it were.
And another little ceremony, aka "The Placing of the Plates", etc.
It seems the same paperwork will document this next driving permission, and probably (hopefully!) even longer term...

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
bleuspeed

Post by bleuspeed »

As an additional data point, this happened to me as well on my last purchase. Funny that it was also with an Acura dealer. They had two identical cars on the lot. My paperwork was for one and I was given the other one to drive home. Dealer called me back the next day to alert me of the problem and swap back. I chalked it up to an honest mistake and moved on.

I never thought to check on insurance and consider all the things mentioned here. Fortunately for me it was just as easy as driving back and swapping cars. No problems at all.
Last edited by bleuspeed on Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Watty

Post by Watty »

Normchad wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:00 pm How is it any different than just being on a test drive?
I suspect that the length of time could be important.

During the big air bag recall I had rental cars for an extended period of time but I had to swap rental cars every 30 days. My memory is a bit hazy as to just why I had to do this but it might have been because of my car insurance having a 30 day limit on a temporary replacement car.
runninginvestor

Post by runninginvestor »

Normchad wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:00 pm

How is it any different than just being on a test drive? He’s driving a vehicle that is owned by the dealership. He’s been on a very long test drive. He also happens to own an identical vehicle that he parks at the dealer for some reason.....

But I get what you’re saying. If you don’t want to risk any further headaches and hassles, best to leave it parked. And hope it doesn’t get scratches or something......
I believe the issue is Car A's plates on Car B. It seems OP has title, registration, insurance and plates for car A, but in possession of car B.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

bleuspeed wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:46 pm As an additional data point, this happened to me as well on my last purchase. Funny that it was also with an Acura dealer. They had two identical cars on the lot. My paperwork was for one and I was given the other one to drive home. Dealer called me back the next day to alert me of the problem and swap back. I chalked it up to an honest mistake and moved on.

I never thought to check on insurance and consider all the things mentioned here. Fortunately for me it was just as easy as driving back and swapping cars. No problems at all.
You and OP might want to PM about location, in case there is quite a coincidence going on here.
If this happens to be the same dealer (or even region?), then I'd start wondering what might really be going on, even if "only" seriously negligent business practices.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
Steve747

Post by Steve747 »

Last edited by Steve747 on Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Independent George

Post by Independent George »

So... forgive my ignorance as a city slicker who doesn't own a car, but if these are otherwise identical vehicles (and therefore thus value for the books), why is it easier to swap cars than it is to update an entry in a database?
FIREchief

Post by FIREchief »

nisiprius wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:37 am Make two copies, have you and the dealer sign and date them and each keep a copy.
No dealer in his right mind would sign such a document.
I am not a lawyer, accountant or financial advisor. Any advice or suggestions that I may provide shall be considered for entertainment purposes only.
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

Independent George wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:07 pm So... forgive my ignorance as a city slicker who doesn't own a car, but if these are otherwise identical vehicles (and therefore thus value for the books), why is it easier to swap cars than it is to update an entry in a database?
Here is my guess. The car the dealer currently possesses has already been titled once by the OP. If they just clear up the paper work, and sell the car they have, they would have to sell it as used, since it had previously been titled.

By taking back the one the OP has, it has never been titled, so they can still sell it as new, even though it has 1200 miles on it.

Just a guess though, I am not a car dealer.
rob

Post by rob »

Don't forget about the cost to replace any local parking/permit/ski/dump stickers..... I'd make sure you check "your" car is actually identical.

PSA: Make sure you wipe all your phone details.... The amount of rentals I get with everyone's contacts etc already sucked into the infotainment system in the rental cars.
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien
fuddbogle

Post by fuddbogle »

As far as insurance, the OP's insurance company would cover the car or the car dealership's insurance would cover the car. Let them figure it out but I imagine since the dealer owns this car, they would own the liability.
Silverado

Post by Silverado »

Seems like a lot of folks need to read the update from the OP.
BatBuckeye

Post by BatBuckeye »

If you don't fix this you will likely have a difficult time selling it some day when the VIN doesn't match title...
beyou

Post by beyou »

In my mind, you need to go get the car you actually own, and return the loaner they gave you while your car is in the shop. How is this any different ?

When I get a loaner from a dealer, I don’t have any concern that I am insured. You have insurance for liability driving any car. The owner of the car (dealer) should have collision on it.

If anything I would be anxious to go in and get your vehicle asap and make sure it’s in good shape....it’s your car if the title with that vin is in your name.
KeepinItPositive

Post by KeepinItPositive »

This type of thing happened to me about a decade ago where the dealer gave me the wrong car (multiples of the exact same car/options/car on the lot). I can’t remember all the details but it was my insurance company that caught it as I gave them the vin on the car and the lender gave them the vin on the note— apparently it’s not that uncommon.

In my case the actual paperwork was fixed. I remember it being a hassle with the lender on the loan, but it worked out just fine in the end. Ever since I’ve been really careful about checking vins. (Often to raised eyebrows)
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

From OP -
Baseballmom94 wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:52 am Thank you so much for all the helpful responses! I thought I had the whole car negotiation thing behind me (orginally got $11,500 off sticker) and then this pops up! Seems like there is no downside with essentially driving a loaner car for free the past few months. Someone from the dealer is bringing the new car for us to inspect this afternoon and then they will install the new accessories and swap out the car tomorrow - I will not have to change anything with insurance or license plates/registration as long as I confirm the new car has the correct VIN number. I did ask for some free oil changes since I didn't negotiate this the first time around so we'll see what happens with that. Thank you again, Bogleheads - you all are the best! :happy
Silverado wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:29 pm Seems like a lot of folks need to read the update from the OP.
I agree that folks should read OP’s update, posted about 10 hours ago and conveniently pasted above.
Retired life insurance company financial executive who sincerely believes that ”It’s a GREAT day to be alive!”
mbres60

Post by mbres60 »

One thought... what about the car warranty? After swapping and getting your correct car with only 42 miles does the warranty start from several months ago or will they extend the warranty a little? If they don't extend it by the 3.5 months then you are short changed as this vehicle will have a slightly shorter warranty than it should.
Topic Author
Baseballmom94

Post by Baseballmom94 »

mbres60, that is an excellent point about the warranty - it is a 48 month warranty so I will ask them to extend that by 2 months.
Northern Flicker

Post by Northern Flicker »

ResearchMed wrote: Most auto insurance (mine anyway!) cover cars owned by others if driven with permission.
The dealer definitely "gave permission" for OP to drive that car!
In some states, liability insurance goes with the car (covers whoever is driving). In other states, it goes with the driver (covers the insured whatever they are driving).
civiltoatee

Post by civiltoatee »

Forget about the VIN mix up, I want to know more about $11,500 off of the sticker price! Is that kind of discount typical in your area?
Carguy85

Post by Carguy85 »

There seems to be a number of cancel/punish culture folks by looks of the replies that I hope get some help/find peace. OP, you could totally do something old fashioned (like think pre 2010/social media) and show some grace. Realize it was likely an honest mistake, swap cars, and move on with your life. 🙄 ....what goes around comes around.