Crazy Situation - Acura Dealer Gave Me Car With Wrong VIN Number - Wants to Swap Cars?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
Baseballmom94

Crazy Situation - Acura Dealer Gave Me Car With Wrong VIN Number - Wants to Swap Cars?

Post by Baseballmom94 »

Here's a situation I've never encountered: I bought a 2020 Acura MDX on Feb. 27 and have been happily driving it since then. Great car and nice slight upgrade from my 2014 MDX.

Today the dealer calls and says they gave me the wrong car which has a different VIN number than the paperwork. I have already paid off the car and received the title and just confirmed that the title VIN number does not match the VIN number on the vehicle.

They dealer wants to swap cars with me and give me the car with the correct VIN number which only has 42 miles on it compared to the 1200 I've put on my current MDX. They will install the roof racks and all-weather mats that I have on my current vehicle.

This is a completely new situation in my last 30 years of buying cars. Is there anything weird going on with this situation that I should be aware of?? Should I ask for additional compensation?
jpohio

Re: Crazy Situation - Acura Dealer Gave Me Car With Wrong VIN Number - Wants to Swap Cars?

Post by jpohio »

I don’t know if anything else is goi g on, but seems like you may have a problem if you try to trade/sell the car and you have no legal title to the car you are trying to sell.
ClevrChico

Re: Crazy Situation - Acura Dealer Gave Me Car With Wrong VIN Number - Wants to Swap Cars?

Post by ClevrChico »

Wow, that is crazy, but not surprising considering how dysfunctional dealers are. Do you have to pay sales tax again when the new title is transferred? Or is it an "equal trade" so just a wash as far as taxes? That would be my only concern.
Last edited by ClevrChico on Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
Baseballmom94

Post by Baseballmom94 »

It's an equal trade - same vehicle - same options. No additional taxes.
PaunchyPirate

Post by PaunchyPirate »

If the replacement car is otherwise just like the one you've been driving, I don't see much of a downside to this for you. I would be double and triple checking that out via the window stickers. It seems like an honest mistake to me. The fact that your paperwork doesn't match your vehicle VIN seems fully supportive of them doing a mistake.

Personally, I wouldn't ask for any compensation. But I would expect them to pay for any related costs to you. Others may have different opinions.
campy2010

Post by campy2010 »

Congratulations! You accidentally stole a car. Bank error in your favor...enjoy the new one with 42 miles on it.

Make sure the dealer pays for any registration, emissions, and other fees you may have to pay again with the new car.
oldfatguy

Post by oldfatguy »

Happened to a coworker of mine, but it was after only a few weeks. Don't see any downside for you.
VoiceOfReason

Post by VoiceOfReason »

As far as registration, title, etc is concerned don’t you actually own the car the dealer has, not the one you have?

I’d just go in,let them upgrade, (I’d actually demand the dealer cough up more, free oil changes, additional upgrades or something for their screw up and haste to you) swap it out, switch plates and confirm u don’t have to do anything w registration and be done. You just got a free 1200 miles.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

Sounds like they want to do an under the table swap to correct their mistake. This may be the path of least resistance for you as well assuming the cars are identical with the rack and floor matts installed. If they wanted to play hard ball they could report the vehicle as stolen. The state trooper who pulls you over probably would think the vehicle is stolen if VIN is checked and it doesn't match.
grok87

Post by grok87 »

stan1 wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:13 am Sounds like they want to do an under the table swap to correct their mistake. This may be the path of least resistance for you as well assuming the cars are identical with the rack and floor matts installed. If they wanted to play hard ball they could report the vehicle as stolen. The state trooper who pulls you over probably would think the vehicle is stolen if VIN is checked and it doesn't match.
yikes
RIP Mr. Bogle.
MindBogler

Post by MindBogler »

Funny story. Just make sure the VIN is correct this time and then enjoy your 2nd new car this year.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

The cars are truly identical in terms of trim level, ALL extras?

Given that the title does indeed have the wrong VIN, it seems likely that this was an honest error, although it's troubling that it happened.

I would want to be VERY sure that the "right car" wasn't driven during those 42 miles and had some sort of accident. With only 42 miles, and not hundreds, that's pretty unlikely.

I'd suggest at least that you head over to the dealer and take "your next new car" (!) for a bit of a drive, including highway speed. Make sure that it handles the same way, etc.

I would have thought that in a case like this (not that I would have thought it would happen, but mistakes do indeed happen) they'd correct the title. I mean, what if the 'right car' had been sold to someone else who moved far away, or even 'just' put many miles of heavy driving on it? Or even had an accident. There must be a way to fix an error in a title.

OTOH, another brand new car...? :wink:

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
Globalviewer58

Post by Globalviewer58 »

Sounds like the dealer realized a simple error and would like you to help make it right for both parties. Kindly accept their offer as an apology and make the swap. No cost to you besides a trip to the dealership.

Once you arrive, make certain the equipment is all functional and matches your February paperwork. Then enjoy sharing your story with friends.
bogledogle

Post by bogledogle »

Lol ... this is funny. What Vin does you insurance have? :happy

I would ask for compensation if you have spent money tinting or modifying the car in any way. I would also ask for a letter signed by the sales manager explaining the situation in case you need it in the future. Who knows what other "laws" you broke other than "stealing" a car :P
rich126

Post by rich126 »

MindBogler wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:19 am Funny story. Just make sure the VIN is correct this time and then enjoy your 2nd new car this year.
I think I will now add "Verify VIN is correct" to my list of things to do when buying a car.
----------------------------- | If you think something is important and it doesn't involve the health of someone, think again. Life goes too fast, enjoy it and be nice.
BruDude

Post by BruDude »

Ask them to throw in some free oil changes for the trouble, I'm sure they can do that.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

I assume that you’ve already registered the car and gotten license tags.

It would be reasonable for the dealership to reimburse you for any fees that you need to pay to straighten this situation out.

And take the “wrong” car back to the dealership with the gas gauge on empty. :twisted:
Last edited by Stinky on Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Retired life insurance company financial executive who sincerely believes that ”It’s a GREAT day to be alive!”
SlowMovingInvestor

Post by SlowMovingInvestor »

I wonder if the dealer would try and sell the returned car as 'new. It's technically not registered, but it has been driven more than you'd expect a new car to be driven.

But that not an issue for the OP.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

Why would you have to re-register the car? Don’t registrations work off VIN?

Presumably the color matched well enough to fool the dealer.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
UsualLine

Post by UsualLine »

Stinky wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:27 am And take the “wrong” car back to the dealership with the gas gauge on empty. :twisted:
I would check with my insurance company before driving that "wrong" car anywhere to make sure I was covered.
Watty

Post by Watty »

rich126 wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:23 am
MindBogler wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:19 am Funny story. Just make sure the VIN is correct this time and then enjoy your 2nd new car this year.
I think I will now add "Verify VIN is correct" to my list of things to do when buying a car.
I have heard of this happening before.

I just bought a car two days ago and that is something that I always do.
Baseballmom94 wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:54 am This is a completely new situation in my last 30 years of buying cars. Is there anything weird going on with this situation that I should be aware of?? Should I ask for additional compensation?
I would have them deliver the new car to you and not drive the other car since you do not have car insurance on it. Get a rental car until then if you need to, the dealership should reimburse you for that.

Somewhere in the paperwork you signed there was likely a statement that you would cooperate with them to correct any paperwork problems. You are in a big mess if they do not get this straightened out so it is in your interest to get it fixed quickly.

Getting additional high tech keys for the new cars can be amazingly expensive now since with some models you can only get them from the dealership. These are a high makeup item so if you asked for them to include an extra key or two they would likely gladly give you those for your inconvenience since it will not cost them all that much.

Make sure that that you get all your stuff including any garage door openers out of the car you have now.
Last edited by Watty on Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
RubyTuesday

Post by RubyTuesday »

Confirm insurance before driving.
Consider having dealer deliver the replacement and pickup wrong vehicle on car carrier.
Check the VIN on replacement carefully (dash, door jam, engine firewall?)
Ask dealer to provide VIN report from third party to confirm no accidents, etc.
“Doing nothing is better than being busy doing nothing.” – Lao Tzu
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

Yes. I would be much more concerned with the mess created should something happen while these cars are in possession of the “wrong” parties. All the paperwork says that OP owns and insures the car at the dealership and the dealer owns the car the OP is driving. I would want this handled immediately.
BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy »

Baseballmom94 wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:08 amIt's an equal trade - same vehicle - same options. No additional taxes.
So from a practical standpoint, you've had a loaner vehicle from the dealership all this time, while your actual vehicle was being prepped for you.

I don't see a problem here, except for the embarrassment due the dealership.
"Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities" - The Dunning-Kruger Effect
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

This roof rack was dealer-installed on both cars - not a factory option?
jumppilot

Post by jumppilot »

BolderBoy wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:06 am
Baseballmom94 wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:08 amIt's an equal trade - same vehicle - same options. No additional taxes.
So from a practical standpoint, you've had a loaner vehicle from the dealership all this time, while your actual vehicle was being prepped for you.

I don't see a problem here, except for the embarrassment due the dealership.
That’s how I see it. Swap plates, registration and title matches the VIN of your “new” care and everything is in order.

What dealership is this? I want to take advantage of their “loaner” program!
scophreak

Post by scophreak »

tibbitts wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:09 am This roof rack was dealer-installed on both cars - not a factory option?
I chose the roof rack on our factory order Subaru back in 2019. In fact, this was also a dealer install (rather than a factory install) as they were finishing it up when I arrived to complete the paperwork.
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

deleted
Last edited by Mr. Rumples on Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
"History is the memory of time, the life of the dead and the happiness of the living." Captain John Smith 1580-1631
Lee_WSP

Post by Lee_WSP »

Seems like they sold the legal title to the car on the lot, but gave you actual possession of a different car (the typo problem). If the car you have legal title to is either better or equal to the car you're giving back, I see no reason not to take possession of the car you have legal title to.

Otherwise, I would try to undo the transaction.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

Mr. Rumples wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:24 am Two vehicles, two VINS. Technically, its changing ownership and that might mean sales and use tax again. Some states do this at the local level, some at the state level though. Your state will have procedures for this; but its quite possible these might have to be paid again. Check your state's Code. Here is the VA Code on this. https://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacode/tit ... 58.1-2402/

It may be a "one off" event, but it might also trigger something at DMV where they might look closer at the transaction or a pattern, thus be sure its all fully documented in writing to protect yourself. If they refuse to put it in writing, that should raise alarm bells and contact your DMV's fraud unit and your state's "motor vehicle dealer board" which regulates dealers.

Most likely it is a mistake, but they should understand and fully appreciate why you need this documented and should be willing to fully admit to it. If not, I'd have concerns about their honesty.
But it's not "two VINS".
It really does seem more like OP ended up, by accident, a longer term loaner.
OP has a title that states they own the car (same description) with that particular VIN.
Why is there any need to change registration or plates? Just physically move the plates to new car.
There's no sale, and no transfer of title here.

Yeah, this is an odd one.
And I *would* want a letter documenting the mistake, "just in case"...

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
8foot7

Post by 8foot7 »

I don't trust a car dealer farther than I can throw them, but this is clearly just a mistake and what you got out of it was a chance to have a long test drive on a loaner. Just switch it out. The point above about not driving the car is a good one, although I suspect you're covered like you had a loaner car - but best to sidestep the issue altogether. Get the dealer to write a letter saying what happened signed by the GM so you're covered in case someone in a position to demand information asks.
mmmodem

Post by mmmodem »

Watty wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:44 am I would have them deliver the new car to you and not drive the other car since you do not have car insurance on it. Get a rental car until then if you need to, the dealership should reimburse you for that.
^This. Don't drive that car again.

Sounds like an honest mistake at the dealer. You will be compensated by delivery of a vehicle with 1152 fewer miles. And make sure it has a full tank of gas. My guess is that the dealer will assign your vehicle as their new service loaner vehicle so they do not lose any more money on the transaction.
hi_there

Post by hi_there »

Unless the car dealer has a documented history of predatory and abusive behavior, it sounds like an honest mistake.
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

ResearchMed wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:33 am
Mr. Rumples wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:24 am Two vehicles, two VINS. Technically, its changing ownership and that might mean sales and use tax again. Some states do this at the local level, some at the state level though. Your state will have procedures for this; but its quite possible these might have to be paid again. Check your state's Code. Here is the VA Code on this. https://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacode/tit ... 58.1-2402/

It may be a "one off" event, but it might also trigger something at DMV where they might look closer at the transaction or a pattern, thus be sure its all fully documented in writing to protect yourself. If they refuse to put it in writing, that should raise alarm bells and contact your DMV's fraud unit and your state's "motor vehicle dealer board" which regulates dealers.

Most likely it is a mistake, but they should understand and fully appreciate why you need this documented and should be willing to fully admit to it. If not, I'd have concerns about their honesty.
But it's not "two VINS".
It really does seem more like OP ended up, by accident, a longer term loaner.
OP has a title that states they own the car (same description) with that particular VIN.
Why is there any need to change registration or plates? Just physically move the plates to new car.
There's no sale, and no transfer of title here.

Yeah, this is an odd one.
And I *would* want a letter documenting the mistake, "just in case"...

RM
I deleted my post, but alas...you read it :). The problem is the registration was wrong - plates were put on the wrong vehicle, and then even the sales contract might be invalid. The contract might have a provision that says something along the lines of the VIN on the car or on the window overrides the contract provisions.

I would get their admission in writing and get them to jump through the hoops with DMV and insurance. Otherwise file the formal complaints for a fraud investigation.

Its up to them to satisfy the customer and put the customer at peace of mind when this is clearly their fault. The problem with the DMV is if this triggers something related to title fraud. If they title, register and issue plates online as an online dealer in their state (some states don't do this), not correcting this to the customer's satisfaction could result in them losing that privilege, thus they should be more than willing to fix this.
Last edited by Mr. Rumples on Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
"History is the memory of time, the life of the dead and the happiness of the living." Captain John Smith 1580-1631
jumppilot

Post by jumppilot »

mmmodem wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:36 am
Watty wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:44 am I would have them deliver the new car to you and not drive the other car since you do not have car insurance on it. Get a rental car until then if you need to, the dealership should reimburse you for that.
^This. Don't drive that car again.
My insurance covers in the case of a “non-owned” car. Otherwise, we’d see tons of problems with people driving their friends/relatives cars.

The insurance industry has figured this one out long ago. If in doubt, call your insurance.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

Imagine the panic at the dealership when someone realized that they didn’t have title to a car that was sitting on their lot. And that they were “missing” a car that they had title to.

This situation may have been discovered when another person tried to buy the car sitting on the lot and the dealership found that they didn’t have title. Maybe that other buyer is also a Boglehead and will post about his experience.

I expect that someone at the dealership will be disciplined over this. Not a pretty picture for them.
Retired life insurance company financial executive who sincerely believes that ”It’s a GREAT day to be alive!”
runninginvestor

Post by runninginvestor »

I had a friend walk out and drive away with the wrong Audi once. You're fortunate they aknowleged the mistake as it clears the way for any potential liability to be put on them.

My friend only had the car for a few hours before he realized things didn't match and drove it back. The dealership had already called the police, threatened to arrest him, and was angry at him though, which I do not understand. Apparently the police were a little more reasonable once he told his side of the story and realized it wasn't an actual theft.
humblecoder

Post by humblecoder »

Sounds like an honest mistake given that all of the paperwork uses the VIN of the other car. Should be just a matter of taking the plates off the wrong car and putting it on the right car.

Others have suggested asking for something in return like a free oil change or whatever. Maybe it's me, but if I dealer is doing the right thing by me, giving me a car with 1000 miles less, etc, I wouldn't look for anything additional. Nor should the dealer feel any obligation in that respect. You are already making out like a bandit by essentially having a free loaner car, so I wouldn't ask for anything in return.

Regarding the question about whether the car is technically uninsured. I am thinking that this would be the equivalent of a loaner car or having a car for a test drive. When I get a loaner from the dealer, I don't add it to my insurance because technically the car is owned by the dealer. Presumably the dealer carries collision insurance for cars that they own, and my liability insurance would cover me for any cars that I am driving (including rentals, loaners, etc). However, I am not an expert in this area and I don't know your policy. The only reason I am pointing this out is that I would check with your agent and policy regarding this point, rather than relying upon random internet advice.
SteadyOne

Post by SteadyOne »

grok87 wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:19 am
stan1 wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:13 am Sounds like they want to do an under the table swap to correct their mistake. This may be the path of least resistance for you as well assuming the cars are identical with the rack and floor matts installed. If they wanted to play hard ball they could report the vehicle as stolen. The state trooper who pulls you over probably would think the vehicle is stolen if VIN is checked and it doesn't match.
yikes
And then dealer goes to jail for filing false police report
“Every de­duc­tion is al­lowed as a mat­ter of leg­isla­tive grace.” US Federal Court
SteadyOne

Post by SteadyOne »

runninginvestor wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:43 am I had a friend walk out and drive away with the wrong Audi once. You're fortunate they aknowleged the mistake as it clears the way for any potential liability to be put on them.

My friend only had the car for a few hours before he realized things didn't match and drove it back. The dealership had already called the police, threatened to arrest him, and was angry at him though, which I do not understand. Apparently the police were a little more reasonable once he told his side of the story and realized it wasn't an actual theft.
The dealer gave him the car key, right? Then it’s not theft. I would have sued the dealer for thousands for this sort of intimidation and filing false police report.
Last edited by SteadyOne on Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Every de­duc­tion is al­lowed as a mat­ter of leg­isla­tive grace.” US Federal Court
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

I don't see where you're getting the idea that this is an under the table swap. Seems like the dealer is just following steps to correct their mistake in an amicable way.
MrBobcat

Post by MrBobcat »

It's too bad this didn't happen with a Miata or some other fun car, think of the fun you could have had bringing it back to the dealer.
niagara_guy

Post by niagara_guy »

You own the car that the paperwork shows. it's your option to chose which car you want to own (the dealer won't like it if you chose the car that the paperwork has the vin for but that's not your problem). They screwed up. I am not a lawyer but if this was me I would ask a lawyer for advice before i did anything. Of course the dealer wants you to keep the car you are driving. If you give it back they can't sell it as a new car, right?
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

So to clarify, the insurance and title and purchase contract all have the correct VIN; the OP just has the wrong car? So no paperwork changes are necessary?
strafe

Post by strafe »

There is so much bad advice in this thread, I don't even know where to begin!

You need to take possession of your car and return the dealer's car.

What's so hard about that?
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

niagara_guy wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:25 am You own the car that the paperwork shows. it's your option to chose which car you want to own (the dealer won't like it if you chose the car that the paperwork has the vin for but that's not your problem). They screwed up. I am not a lawyer but if this was me I would ask a lawyer for advice before i did anything. Of course the dealer wants you to keep the car you are driving. If you give it back they can't sell it as a new car, right?
Sounds okay until you end up paying more for the attorney than for the car. Why are you saying the dealer wants the OP to keep the car? The dealer has apparently asked the OP to exchange the car for the correct vehicle despite the miles accumulated on the vehicle the OP will be returning.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

strafe wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:28 am There is so much bad advice in this thread, I don't even know where to begin!

You need to take possession of your car and return the dealer's car.

What's so hard about that?
Well, the OP never exactly spelled out whether being in possession of the wrong car is the entirety of the error, which I think accounts for some of the variety in the responses. If that was the only error and the other car is identical with fewer miles, then your approach would probably make sense.
humblecoder

Post by humblecoder »

niagara_guy wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:25 am You own the car that the paperwork shows. it's your option to chose which car you want to own (the dealer won't like it if you chose the car that the paperwork has the vin for but that's not your problem). They screwed up. I am not a lawyer but if this was me I would ask a lawyer for advice before i did anything. Of course the dealer wants you to keep the car you are driving. If you give it back they can't sell it as a new car, right?
You misread the post. The OP is driving car A. However, the title, registration, etc is for car B. The dealer realized the mistake and wants the OP to come in and swap car A (the one he has been driving for the last X days) for car B (the new car that the OP actually owns). That is the correct course of action by the dealer, since they are giving the OP the car that the paperwork shows that he actually owns, which happens to be brand new.

I think you are somehow under the impression that the dealer wants the OP to keep the current car. They don't (at least based upon the words that the OP has written). They want to do the right thing by the OP. I know people are quick to take a cynical view of car dealers (for good reason), but let's give them credit for trying to do right by the OP in this case.
smalliebigs

Post by smalliebigs »

I would do it. Why not? You get back 1000+ miles of mileage for warranty
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

Write up a memorandum describing the whole situation--I bought the car on thus-and-such date, invoice number, VIN number. Acura dealer contacted me on thus-and-such date and explained the situation. New VIN number is thus-and-such. Take a cell phone picture of your car and then a closeup showing the VIN number big enough to read and paste them in.

Note that the dealer says the cars are identical and that they will reinstall the roof rack.

Just a factual description.

Make two copies, have you and the dealer sign and date them and each keep a copy.

If it's all on the up-and-up the dealer shouldn't have any problems with it. If they want to correct anything say great, just have them write in the change and initial and date it.

Then if anything does turn up months later, e.g. you discover that you got the Premium sound system instead of the Deluxe sound system, or it turns out that the color is actually Palladium White Pearl instead Platinum White Pearl or you need to explain something to an insurance company or a cop--you will be in much better shape than just telling a story.

It can't hurt.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.