Federal government not taking taxes as scheduled

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
theorist

Federal government not taking taxes as scheduled

Post by theorist »

So, I submitted my taxes early (through H&R Block) and the return was accepted by the IRS. I ended up owing some reasonable amount (didn’t quite withhold enough!) and opted to have them take $ directly out of my bank account. You’re allowed to schedule the date and I opted for April 12 for various reasons.

April 12 has come and gone and the IRS hasn’t yet taken the $ from my account. Has this happened to anyone else? How long is the typical delay, if so?
arcticpineapplecorp.

Re: Federal government not taking taxes as scheduled

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. »

there was a similar post about this yesterday on bogleheads (similar problem). I'll look (haven't found it yet). perhaps someone will find it.
It's hard to accept the truth when the lies were exactly what you wanted to hear. Investing is simple, but not easy. Buy, hold & rebalance low cost index funds & manage taxable events. Asking Portfolio Questions | Wiki
Kevin M

Post by Kevin M »

Interesting. I had the opposite experience, but with my estimated tax payment. I submitted it using IRS direct pay last weekend, and the money was withdrawn in the wee hours Monday morning (4/12). I guess there's more delay with a tax return.

Kevin
If I make a calculation error, #Cruncher probably will let me know.
ipdiddly

Post by ipdiddly »

I use TT and my tax payment is always taken on the date scheduled. Done this for many years.
knibloe

Post by knibloe »

I "sent" and estimated tax payment. State taxes were taken federal were not.
inverter

Post by inverter »

IRS may have delayed it on their systems due to the change in the due date.

Direct Pay and EFTPS wouldn't be affected by this because they are separate systems.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

I posted a similar issue and asked about differences between my HRB 2019 vs. 2020 experiences with routing numbers not displaying on my 2020 printed/pdf returns, but will merge that here instead:

If anyone owed and paid via EFT with HRBlock for 2020, can you find any record of your bank account and routing information in your printed or pdf return? Anywhere? In past years I've had refunds and those display the numbers on the 1040.

When I look at the Filing Status details now, I see:

"...Federal Return Accepted
The IRS will automatically withdraw $<amount> from your bank account on 04/09/2021"

But it's annoying to not be able to see the actual information that was transmitted to make this happen.
Last edited by tibbitts on Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
theorist

Post by theorist »

tibbitts wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:08 pm I posted a similar issue and asked about differences between my HRB 2019 vs. 2020 experiences with routing numbers not displaying on my 2020 printed/pdf returns, but will merge that here instead:

If anyone owed and paid via EFT with HRBlock for 2020, can you find any record of your bank account and routing information in your printed or pdf return? Anywhere? In past years I've had refunds and those display the numbers on the 1040.

When I look at the Filing Status details now, I see:

"...Federal Return Accepted
The IRS will automatically withdraw $<amount> from your bank account on 04/09/2021"

But it's annoying to not be able to see the actual information that was transmitted to make this happen.
[ quote fixed by admin LadyGeek]

Interesting. The H&R Block people also arranged for CA to deposit my refund, and that worked as expected. The copy of my return they sent me does have the routing number and the last 4 digits of my account # printed, with Xs before that on the cover page. I asked them and they just said the IRS may be backed up...
MikeG62

Post by MikeG62 »

Both my Federal and State tax payments went out as scheduled on 4/15 (this being both amounts due from 2020 and 1st quarter estimates).
Real Knowledge Comes Only From Experience
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

theorist wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:05 am
tibbitts wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:08 pm I posted a similar issue and asked about differences between my HRB 2019 vs. 2020 experiences with routing numbers not displaying on my 2020 printed/pdf returns:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=346286&newpost=5948112

When I go back through the first stages of the e-file process in the software now, it shows the account and routing numbers for both years, but the 2020 print/pdf version prints XXXXXXXX for those fields, while the 2019 printed the actual numbers and also the value of the checkmark for checking or savings.
Interesting. The H&R Block people also arranged for CA to deposit my refund, and that worked as expected. The copy of my return they sent me does have the routing number and the last 4 digits of my account # printed, with Xs before that on the cover page. I asked them and they just said the IRS may be backed up...
Probably Block uses completely different software themselves. The Block product last years produced the tax forms I could mail-in with the numbers intact, even though I e-filed. In 2020 I couldn't mail-in the forms with just the XXXXXXXXs in those fields obviously. But when I re-enter the program now and go to "File", and step through the pages, my banking info is there. And the confirmation messages when my return was accepted on the 2nd try says my bank account will be debited. We have the extra month this year but it's very frustrating that the IRS won't remove the funds.

Now that we know this, everybody filing from now on should pay through Direct Pay or EFTPS and definitely not through tax return EFT. Ultimately I'll probably have to send another many-thousand-dollar payment and have the money tied up for most of a year (the 2019 return still showed as not being processed until earlier this year), then have to figure out how to get the double payment back. I never saw this coming.

I guess we have to take HRB's word that they don't retain bank account info, but it's disappointing that they can't even tell if any was transmitted during an e-file.
Topic Author
theorist

Post by theorist »

Well, the $ were withdrawn this morning! April 16 instead of April 12. No idea why, but I guess I can be happy for the extra tiny bit of accrued interest...
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

I haven’t had any tax payments removed from my account other than the estimated taxes paid through EFT.

I have a feeling they won’t leave our account until the amended “due date.” I have made advance entries in Quicken to make sure that I don’t include the money in our “available” balance.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

theorist wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:04 am Well, the $ were withdrawn this morning! April 16 instead of April 12. No idea why, but I guess I can be happy for the extra tiny bit of accrued interest...
Your original return was submitted on 4/12? If not when does your confirmation say it was submitted?

I'm going to start working on an amended return now, or at least another return so I can see if I can get the program to output account numbers.

Usually I think the IRS does a good job but it this case - just a complete disaster. Now I know to never use EFT with my return when an amount is owed but that should be a functioning option since it's offered.
Last edited by tibbitts on Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
TxInjun

Post by TxInjun »

theorist wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:04 am Well, the $ were withdrawn this morning! April 16 instead of April 12. No idea why, but I guess I can be happy for the extra tiny bit of accrued interest...
Glad to hear this is getting cleared up. Waiting for Uncle Sam to take more of my money!

Cheers

TxIn
mrmass

Post by mrmass »

Feds still haven't taken mine out. I used TT and both state and feds accepted my return 3/31. I entered 4/2 as date to pay. State took theirs 4/2.
Nothing yet from the feds.
Topic Author
theorist

Post by theorist »

tibbitts wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:10 am
Your original return was submitted on 4/12? If not when does your confirmation say it was submitted?

I'm going to start working on an amended return now, or at least another return so I can see if I can get the program to output account numbers.

Usually I think the IRS does a good job but it this case - just a complete disaster. Now I know to never use EFT with my return when an amount is owed but that should be a functioning option since it's offered.
The return was submitted and accepted by the IRS on 4/1...
badger42

Post by badger42 »

Similar issue here - return filed and accepted on 4/12, with a withdrawal date of 4/12 (as suggested by TT)

State taxes taken 4/13, federal still not taken. At least it sounds like this is a common issue this year?
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

badger42 wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:41 am Similar issue here - return filed and accepted on 4/12, with a withdrawal date of 4/12 (as suggested by TT)

State taxes taken 4/13, federal still not taken. At least it sounds like this is a common issue this year?
Apparently. I have not owed recently until this year; refunds had always appeared in my bank account within a few days after e-filing.

I don't understand the mechanism that e-file uses to do the EFT for payments. I had assumed that it would be like for a refund: you would enter the account and routing info on the 1040 (since it's there for the refund I guess I would have designed the form where it would serve either purpose, to save space/lines.) But I can't find anywhere on my printed/pdf return where there's any mention of my bank routing or account numbers. And given that Direct Pay and EFTPS have always been near-instant (including this year on the same day as my tax filing), I assumed(!) paying your tax due via EFT would be as well. Very frustrating, since last year my return didn't show as "processed" for about eight months (even though my refund arrived in a few days.) If that happens this year, I might have to keep thousands of dollars in my checking account for all that time (remembering to avoid bouncing a check at some point), and if it turns out something goes wrong with the EFT, I'll owe a massive amount in penalties if the EFT eventually fails for any reason.
arcticpineapplecorp.

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. »

here's the other thread about a similar topic:
viewtopic.php?p=5950195#p5950195
It's hard to accept the truth when the lies were exactly what you wanted to hear. Investing is simple, but not easy. Buy, hold & rebalance low cost index funds & manage taxable events. Asking Portfolio Questions | Wiki
baconavocado

Post by baconavocado »

Same here. I e-filed my federal income tax return on 4/5 using Turbotax and used the option to schedule a direct debit from my savings account for the amount I owed. I selected 4/12 as the payment date. No payment from my bank yet as of 4/16.
Topic Author
theorist

Post by theorist »

arcticpineapplecorp. wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:18 pm here's the other thread about a similar topic:
viewtopic.php?p=5950195#p5950195
Thanks! My situation now resolved (they withdrew 4 days after I expected), but this will be helpful for others too.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

It would be helpful if anyone could explain exactly how the EFT process for payment works when done as part of online filing with software like TT or HRBlock, vs. EFT done through Direct Pay or EFTPS. Apparently the latter is generally working in a timely fashion as usual, while the former is not. I know the software providers could answer the question of how exactly they perform the EFT, but the odds of an individual customer being able to contact someone at any of the firms that can provide the information are probably zero.
ThreeBears

IRS not taking money

Post by ThreeBears »

[Thread merged into here --admin LadyGeek]

In theory I have a "friend" who filed taxes a week ago. And the software shows the taxes were accepted. However, the payment was never debited.

It's been a week. The state did take it's payment, the federal government did not.

Any thoughts or comments?
tortoise84

Re: IRS not taking money

Post by tortoise84 »

I e-filed with TaxAct on 4/4. It was accepted after a few minutes. I owed $500 so I scheduled a direct debit for 4/7. It still hasn't been taken as of today.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

There have been multiple threads reporting this problem, which seems specific to EFTs made with e-file returns through various providers like HRB, TT, and TaxAct. EFTs through DirectPay or EFTPS seem to continue to be occurring on demand, or at least that's been my experience having made multiple payments in the past few weeks. As far as I know nobody understands exactly how the payments made with e-file are different from those made through other means, although apparently they aren't being processed in the same way.

A potential problem seems to be that merely having the acceptance from the e-file may not be accepted as proof of timely payment, meaning penalties may result.

It would be beneficial if a moderator could merge all the threads since this is apparently a common problem.
queso

Post by queso »

Same here - state took funds like the next day, but fed has not taken anything yet despite being like a week or two past the date I entered. *shrug*
Absolutely!

Post by Absolutely! »

I efiled using H&R Block’s software and owed a few thousand on our federal return.
I set it up for IRS to debit amount owed on 04/05/2021, payment was just pulled today, 15 days later than scheduled.
cdc

Post by cdc »

My taxes were accepted. I sent a check by US Mail last week. That might have been a bad idea.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

queso wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:07 pm Same here - state took funds like the next day, but fed has not taken anything yet despite being like a week or two past the date I entered. *shrug*
But it will rate more than a shrug if the delay results in penalties. As far as I know there is no way to confirm that the IRS actually has instructions to pull the funds or that the instructions are correct. It's not clear that emailed confirmation messages from e-file providers constitute proof of timely payment.
queso

Post by queso »

tibbitts wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:25 pm
queso wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:07 pm Same here - state took funds like the next day, but fed has not taken anything yet despite being like a week or two past the date I entered. *shrug*
But it will rate more than a shrug if the delay results in penalties. As far as I know there is no way to confirm that the IRS actually has instructions to pull the funds or that the instructions are correct. It's not clear that emailed confirmation messages from e-file providers constitute proof of timely payment.
Good point.. :shock:
Shaneman

Post by Shaneman »

My accountant submitted my 2020 taxes electronically but I make the payments to the feds and state myself directly online.

I paid my 2020 year end federal taxes and 1st quarter 2021 estimated federal taxes at https://www.eftps.gov/eftps/ and the next business day the money was withdrawn from my account.

The IRS on March 17, announced that the federal income tax filing due date for individuals for the 2020 tax year was extended from April 15, 2021, to May 17, 2021 but 1st quarter 2021 estimated federal taxes are still due April 15, 2021.

I guess if you are paying taxes due for 2020 as long as the feds tax your money by May 17, 2021 you have nothing to worry about.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-drop/n-21-21.pdf
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

Shaneman wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:46 pm My accountant submitted my 2020 taxes electronically but I make the payments to the feds and state myself directly online.

I paid my 2020 year end federal taxes and 1st quarter 2021 estimated federal taxes at https://www.eftps.gov/eftps/ and the next business day the money was withdrawn from my account.

The IRS on March 17, announced that the federal income tax filing due date for individuals for the 2020 tax year was extended from April 15, 2021, to May 17, 2021 but 1st quarter 2021 estimated federal taxes are still due April 15, 2021.

I guess if you are paying taxes due for 2020 as long as the feds tax your money by May 17, 2021 you have nothing to worry about.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-drop/n-21-21.pdf
The extension does apply as you say, but May 17 isn't that far away.

The most frustrating part of this is that the IRS could simply have publicized the problem and recommended taxpayers use either of their two EFT payment platforms that are still functioning properly. I had assumed that any of the IRS EFT platforms would be approximately equally effective.
Freefun

Post by Freefun »

I only pay using my IRS account on their website. This makes it easy for me (and the IRS) to track the payments and they're fast.
Remember when you wanted what you currently have?
Shaneman

Post by Shaneman »

Freefun wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:08 pm I only pay using my IRS account on their website. This makes it easy for me (and the IRS) to track the payments and they're fast.

Very easy to make payments at https://www.eftps.gov/eftps/ once you setup an account. You can look up payments for several years back. You can also setup automatic quarterly payments. When you make a payment you get a confirmation reference number. I never had any problems at https://www.eftps.gov/eftps/ and I am guessing this website might be use less than the IRS website.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

Shaneman wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:37 pm
Freefun wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:08 pm I only pay using my IRS account on their website. This makes it easy for me (and the IRS) to track the payments and they're fast.

Very easy to make payments at https://www.eftps.gov/eftps/ once you setup an account. You can look up payments for several years back. You can also setup automatic quarterly payments. When you make a payment you get a confirmation reference number. I never had any problems at https://www.eftps.gov/eftps/ and I am guessing this website might be use less than the IRS website.
I've used both EFTPS and Direct Pay recently and there as far as I know there is never more than a 24hr delay before funds are withdrawn from your account with either one. I used them in the fact the very same day I e-filed this year, just not for my tax due with my return. I hadn't owed taxes other than estimated taxes (as in not owed with a return for years) so I assumed an EFTdone with e-filing would be the same as EFTPS or Direct Pay. Obviously it's completely different. I just didn't know that before I filed, and there is no easy/uncomplicated do-over.

Since the problem are being reported with multiple software platforms it seems likely that the problem is on the IRS end, not with the software providers.
baconavocado

Post by baconavocado »

baconavocado wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:21 pm Same here. I e-filed my federal income tax return on 4/5 using Turbotax and used the option to schedule a direct debit from my savings account for the amount I owed. I selected 4/12 as the payment date. No payment from my bank yet as of 4/16.
Still no payment from my account as of 4/20.
GenawithanE

Post by GenawithanE »

I’m a TaxAide volunteer and the blog for the software the IRS provides us indicates there are widespread glitches with withdrawals of federal taxes, especially those scheduled after April 15. Give it a couple weeks.
jack.bauer

Post by jack.bauer »

GenawithanE wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:44 pm I’m a TaxAide volunteer and the blog for the software the IRS provides us indicates there are widespread glitches with withdrawals of federal taxes, especially those scheduled after April 15. Give it a couple weeks.
Thx bud. I did schedule mine on April 15. lulz.
tortoise84

Post by tortoise84 »

tortoise84 wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:54 pm I e-filed with TaxAct on 4/4. It was accepted after a few minutes. I owed $500 so I scheduled a direct debit for 4/7. It still hasn't been taken as of today.
It was finally taken today, 4/21.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

tortoise84 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:10 am
tortoise84 wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:54 pm I e-filed with TaxAct on 4/4. It was accepted after a few minutes. I owed $500 so I scheduled a direct debit for 4/7. It still hasn't been taken as of today.
It was finally taken today, 4/21.
Thanks for that update. I both e-file and requested the EFT for 4/9 as well. I chose the same day because when I've requested EFTs directly, the IRS has done them the same day I've requested them, and I wasn't earning interest in my account anyway, so I wanted to get confirmation of the EFT working as soon as possible. Still no progress on my EFT. I wasn't necessarily expecting withdrawal the same day, but was expecting it within a couple of days at the latest, based on my experience with both Direct Pay and EFTPS (including experiences within a day of that 4/9 filing.) So I'd really like to know what the combination of tax software and e-file does behind-the-scenes that's different from and EFT through seemingly any other means.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I merged ThreeBears's thread into a similar discussion.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
BogleTaxPro

Post by BogleTaxPro »

The VITA/TCE Blog posted a notice on this yesterday:

https://vitablog.taxslayerpro.com/2021/ ... CE+Blog%29

IRS Direct Debits
20 Apr 21

The IRS has been in contact with industry regarding reports of not withdrawing balance due via direct debit. This is happening industry wide and the IRS is working diligently to resolve this. We will post additional information as we receive it from the IRS.
JerryB

Post by JerryB »

April 15 Estimate through TaxACT finally cleared 1 week late.
badger42

Post by badger42 »

Update - Filed 4/12 with a 4/12 withdrawal date, IRS took their $$ on 4/22. It seems they are chewing through the backlog.
queso

Post by queso »

Looks like mine is hitting today. Like you said - seems to be they are just working through a backlog.
jack.bauer

Post by jack.bauer »

They took my money today also. Looks like they won.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

My EFT request made as part of my e-file with HRBlock on 4/9 (authorized for 4/9) finally went through today 4/22.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

BogleTaxPro wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:24 am The VITA/TCE Blog posted a notice on this yesterday:

https://vitablog.taxslayerpro.com/2021/ ... CE+Blog%29

IRS Direct Debits
20 Apr 21

The IRS has been in contact with industry regarding reports of not withdrawing balance due via direct debit. This is happening industry wide and the IRS is working diligently to resolve this. We will post additional information as we receive it from the IRS.
Thank you for posting this. It will be interesting to see if any more details regarding the delay emerge.
petercooperjr

Post by petercooperjr »

An update from that blog:

https://vitablog.taxslayerpro.com/2021/ ... ed-e-file/
We identified a delay in processing Form 1040 balance due, Form 1040-X amended, and Form 1040-ES estimated tax payment requests submitted via Modernized e-File. The issue has been resolved, and pending payments are being processed. The taxpayer’s account will be credited with the original requested payment date(s). Taxpayers should not re-submit these payments.
knibloe

Post by knibloe »

knibloe wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:21 pm I "sent" and estimated tax payment. State taxes were taken federal were not.
Mine posted today.