How close to retirement age would you start to coast instead of grinding it out?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
bob991

Re: How close to retirement age would you start to coast instead of grinding it out?

Post by bob991 »

tj wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:34 pm
bwalling wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:12 am
JoeRetire wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:01 am
mnnice wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:56 am
JoeRetire wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:30 am

As far as I can tell, your need for glasses and a good diet is the same with a 25 hour job as it is with a 60 hour job.
It makes prioritizing fitness, meditation, and relationships way, way easier.
If you aren't able to prioritize your life while working full time - you are doing it wrong.
Make time for the important things. It's not all that hard.
Let me see if I understand:

Your health is unrelated to stress at work.
Time on a monitor has nothing to do with your eyes.
You're doing it wrong.
Really, it's easy.
I'm pretty sure screen time does affect the eyes. I had to go to Progressive lenses and I was told that it was because i spend a lot of time in front of a computer.

Anyway, interesting topic. I am close to the same age, and at this point my contributions make little different
I do I think the vision changes have more to do with aging than the fact you're in front of a screen all day. Most everyone in their 40's need reading glasses: https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/d ... presbyopia

Anyway, interesting topic. I am 45 as well and if the index fund gods are kind, may reach FI in less than 5 years. I am not sure I have it in me to coast though.
Last edited by bob991 on Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oreamnos

Re: How close to retirement age would you start to coast instead of grinding it out?

Post by Oreamnos »

having kids is way harder than any office job I could ever imagine. Parents *should* get to work 10 hours a week less.

Uhhhhhhhh, no.
tj

Post by tj »

bob991 wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:46 pm
tj wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:34 pm

If you aren't able to prioritize your life while working full time - you are doing it wrong.

You're doing it wrong.
Really, it's easy.
I'm pretty sure screen time does affect the eyes. I had to go to Progressive lenses and I was told that it was because i spend a lot of time in front of a computer.

Anyway, interesting topic. I am close to the same age, and at this point my contributions make little different
I do I think the vision changes have more to do with aging than the fact you're in front of a screen all day. Most everyone in their 40's need reading glasses: https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/d ... presbyopia

Anyway, interesting topic. I am 45 as well and if the index fund gods are kind, may reach FI in less than 5 years. I am not sure I have it in me to coast though.
I was either 30 or late 20's when they told me to switch to Progressives.
chazas

Post by chazas »

surfstar wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:14 pm
Jeepergeo wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:38 pm
chazas wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:27 pm I turned 60 today. I wouldn't say I'm coasting, but I have realized that there is no more upward trajectory for me at work. It's as good as it's going to get. I've hit a number where I could retire if I had to, so I've started drawing more boundaries to protect my personal life. No raise or significant bonus? Fine, but I'm not working until midnight every night and all weekend.
^^^^You perfectly described my situation.
Wait, you both were working until midnight and weekends until recently?
Must be a lot more enjoyable than any employment I've had.
Biglaw expects it, from everyone. I am not nearly among the most highly compensated but I built myself a niche where I perform some core functions that are pretty hard to replace. That plus getting older plus getting back to FI after a divorce a couple of years ago - and voila. Not coasting, exactly, but not letting my life be dictated by my job any more.
livelovelaugh00

Post by livelovelaugh00 »

I plan to retire next spring when I turn 54. Working in software industry is enjoyable and stressful. It's highly competitive and its not something one could coast for long time. For me it is not an option to work a less paying job. I won't be happy since I've been enjoying good pay since I was out of school. However mission has to be accomplished. I started coast 18 months before my projected retirement date. The fact is I have been goal driven all my life. I realized its very hard to change. Out of frustration, I tricked my brain a bit. I set a new goal which is to leave workplace with my health unscathed so that I could fully enjoy the next journey of my life. I don't want to regret afterwards. It somewhat works. I absoutely take much more days off especially on Mondays to take the advantage of unlimited PTO policy. Throughout the day, my husband and I remind each other that the world will move on without us. Next year, I will ask to be terminated.
MichiganNurse

Post by MichiganNurse »

45 now working high stress, acute, bedside hospital nursing. Making probably about 20k/year more in this position than I could in a less stressful nursing position. Hoping to make to 52 in current position before slowing down into something less acute. Ha! Not sure if I will get there as every month I day dream about doing something else.
New Providence

Post by New Providence »

I'm the hardest working person I know. Have been working part time since 16 and full time from 18 yrs of age. Bachelors, 2 master degrees, etc, all while working.

I will keep going at full speed until it is time to retire. That's just me. I see many people who should have retired yrs ago but keep showing up for the paycheck. Public, private corporations have people who no longer care and are just on taking space from somebody who needs a job and could actually do a good job. I would never want to be that person.
MDfan

Post by MDfan »

I switched from medium/Big law 20+ years ago to a federal govt. attorney position and have worked maybe one weekend (or a handful of times past 5:30) in 23 years. Best decision I ever made. And now I'm 6 months from being eligible to retire at 60, so I am definitely on cruise control at this point (although still pretty productive compared to some others in our office). And I haven't had to commute into an office since March 2020. Going to hopefully work a half-time PT schedule for a couple of years to get the higher pension at 62 if they'll let me do it from home. But I don't need to which is a good feeling.
mnnice

Post by mnnice »

JoeRetire wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:20 pm
JoeRetire wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:30 am

As far as I can tell, your need for glasses and a good diet is the same with a 25 hour job as it is with a 60 hour job.

You're doing it wrong.
Really, it's easy.
Or:
I can't improve my health and diet
And I can't choose eyeglasses
Because I work full time.

Yup - doing it wrong.
You seem mighty harsh to the OP and anyone else that would like to have a less stressful job and/or more downtime.

I have saved enough that I can work less. Since I need less money than many people and enjoy more downtime than most it works. My life provides time to have restful sleep, exercise, cook healthy food, time with family, volunteering, and time to do not a darn thing if that’s what trips my trigger.

I’m sure I could learn to manage stress better but I prefer having less to manage.
Nyc10036

Post by Nyc10036 »

I did not coast.
I worked full out but no unpaid overtime etc.
I hated my last W2 job, so I quit.
It was a leap of faith.
I worked contract the next 7 years.
2020 was an anomaly.
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

mnnice wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:10 pm You seem mighty harsh to the OP and anyone else that would like to have a less stressful job and/or more downtime.
Nope.

Coast if you want. Just don't pretend it's for your diet or so you can find the time to purchase glasses.
It's okay to just want to work part-time.
This isn't just my wallet. It's an organizer, a memory and an old friend.
Topic Author
carloslando

Post by carloslando »

JoeRetire wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:39 pm
mnnice wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:10 pm You seem mighty harsh to the OP and anyone else that would like to have a less stressful job and/or more downtime.
Nope.

Coast if you want. Just don't pretend it's for your diet or so you can find the time to purchase glasses.
OP here. To be clear: the health and age issues I see are a trigger to think of an easier role to shift to. Could be part-time, or could be full-time but a role in a different area that would be more 9-5 with no after-hours on-call etc.

I am not pretending to want an easier role to be able to find time to purchase glasses. I am also aware some health issues are diet related and can be addressed irrespective of work. However many health issues ARE directly related to stress (Eg: https://www.corporatewellnessmagazine.c ... oductivity)

The issue I have is basically: am in a stressful role and wondering if switching to a lower-stress is good (& in the options I see, it implies lower pay, hence the savings and retirement angle to this, and a post on a personal-finance forum)
Comparison is the killer of all joy.
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

carloslando wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:48 pm
JoeRetire wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:39 pm
Nope.

OP here. To be clear: the health and age issues I see are a trigger to think of an easier role to shift to. Could be part-time, or could be full-time but a role in a different area that would be more 9-5 with no after-hours on-call etc.

I am not pretending to want an easier role to be able to find time to purchase glasses. I am also aware some health issues are diet related and can be addressed irrespective of work. However many health issues ARE directly related to stress (Eg: https://www.corporatewellnessmagazine.c ... oductivity)

The issue I have is basically: am in a stressful role and wondering if switching to a lower-stress is good (& in the options I see, it implies lower pay, hence the savings and retirement angle to this, and a post on a personal-finance forum)
To me, there is a huge difference between coasting, and loafing. I think you’re asking about coasting, which is a completely valid (and common) choice to make.

Are you sure it’s the job that’s creating the stress? In the rest of your personal history and work history, are you generally a stress free person? If so, then it’s the job, and you should consider changing it.

I fear a lot of stressed out people, would be stressed out even if they switched jobs. So make sure you accurately assess your role in this, before making decisions.

Im kinda stressed out at work too. And kinda hate my job right now. But after a lot of reflection, I’ve concluded I’m the problem, not the job. So I’m keeping the job......
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

MAKsdad wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:30 pm
Patzer wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:28 pm
Monsterflockster wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:25 pm Unpopular opinion: if you have kids you’ve probably been coasting at work a long time. Or a horrible parent.
Funny, but true...
My employees without kids work about 45 hours a week and my employees with kids work about 35 hours a week.
having kids is way harder than any office job I could ever imagine. Parents *should* get to work 10 hours a week less.

Edit to add - I have seen more than a few people who work extra hours so they don't have to go home to their families.
Parenting is only hard if you do it well.

Reproductive choices really shouldn’t affect job duties, responsibilities, compensations. It should be all about effort and contribution. But that’s not the way it actually works in the US.
Beensabu

Post by Beensabu »

carloslando wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:09 am Thoughts?
I think people have largely missed that you're not looking to coast at your current job (i.e. do less work for the same pay) but potentially move into an easier job that pays less because it's easier. Not work less hard on purpose, but purposely find a job that demands much less of your soul (or none) be given to it.

Only you know how your current stress level is affecting you and whether it's worth it.

For me, it was worth it 30 years before retirement. I'm an extreme. I don't particularly care if I never stop working entirely. I don't mind work, and I like being good at stuff and figuring things out and solving problems. I can't deal with sociopathic mind games though. Nothing was worth that crap. Low wage mobility is the only way to avoid that kind of thing at will though. They'll pay you well to be able to mess with you.
"The only thing that makes life possible is permanent, intolerable uncertainty; not knowing what comes next." ~Ursula LeGuin
chipperd

Post by chipperd »

Normchad wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:59 pm
MAKsdad wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:30 pm
Patzer wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:28 pm
Monsterflockster wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:25 pm Unpopular opinion: if you have kids you’ve probably been coasting at work a long time. Or a horrible parent.
Funny, but true...
My employees without kids work about 45 hours a week and my employees with kids work about 35 hours a week.

Edit to add - I have seen more than a few people who work extra hours so they don't have to go home to their families.
Parenting is only hard if you do it well.

Reproductive choices really shouldn’t affect job duties, responsibilities, compensations. It should be all about effort and contribution. But that’s not the way it actually works in the US.
True in the U.S., and also true most places around the world. Parents who work are treated differently outside the U.S. in terms of time off for family leave and other family related benefits that workers without children don't experience. The difference is that here in the U.S., the expectation is that family doesn't get in the way of work or production. In many other first world countries, the expectation is that parents are making a meaningful contribution to that society, and as such, are expected to have a more balanced approach to work. The employers in those other first world countries outside the U.S. act accordingly to that country's mindset and societal expectation so it can attract what one would generally consider "good" workers.
Editorial- IMHO: It comes down to a cultural difference of the U.S., on a continuum, being closer to a more pure form of capitalism than most other first world countries. Hence, why the poster is getting some pushback on moving further away from the U.S. societal/cultural norms in terms of the way the U.S. definition of capitalism considers the individual workers role in that system. The U.S. does a great job with well educated, self motivated and driven individuals at the start of their professional careers. Not so great when it comes down to the time when the individual worker is ready to wind down that career, and considers time a more valuable asset relative to income.
Again, all my opinion. I'm off the soap box .... for now.
Last edited by chipperd on Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
"A portfolio is like a bar of soap, the more it's handled, the less there is." Dr. William Bernstein
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

carloslando wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:48 pm The issue I have is basically: am in a stressful role and wondering if switching to a lower-stress is good (& in the options I see, it implies lower pay, hence the savings and retirement angle to this, and a post on a personal-finance forum)
Good luck. Sounds like you are financially in a position to coast.
investingdad

Post by investingdad »

Getting back to the main question, I’m wondering the same thing. We are getting close to The Number and as a result, I’m finding it harder to take work stuff as seriously as I should. I see people my age, some a bit older, some younger, packing and grinding and for me the motivating factors just aren’t there.

I want to do a good job, but I’m not interested in showing fealty to the big scary executives or wringing my hands over whether or not I’m divining their will. Hard pass on that crap.
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

Beensabu wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:15 pm I think people have largely missed that you're not looking to coast at your current job (i.e. do less work for the same pay) but potentially move into an easier job that pays less because it's easier. Not work less hard on purpose, but purposely find a job that demands much less of your soul (or none) be given to it.
Easier is not less hard? Demands less of your soul?

I think we're just playing with words.
MAKsdad

Post by MAKsdad »

JoeRetire wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:52 am
Beensabu wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:15 pm I think people have largely missed that you're not looking to coast at your current job (i.e. do less work for the same pay) but potentially move into an easier job that pays less because it's easier. Not work less hard on purpose, but purposely find a job that demands much less of your soul (or none) be given to it.

Do you really not understand the concept of moving from a stressful 50-60 hour/week job to a low stress, 40 hour/week job? You can still "work hard" in the latter job, but there's no question it would be "easier" and "less demanding" than the former.
investnoob

Post by investnoob »

I was firmly entrenched in middle management for 10 years at one organization.

I knew that I did not want to be an executive. Executives have a way of taking advantage. Or at the least the ones at my old organization did.

I finally decided that since I did not want to go "up" and since I couldn't seem to figure out how to set boundaries with the execs, I would look for a demotion.

I took that about 18 months ago by getting another job. Then I left the org to go to a new place, at a senior working level gig.

I consider this my "coasting." I have fewer responsibilities at the same pay and at a reduced pace.

Some people do not seem to like the idea of taking on fewer responsibilities, but I'm very happy with how things turned out.
MAKsdad

Post by MAKsdad »

investnoob wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:05 am Some people do not seem to like the idea of taking on fewer responsibilities, but I'm very happy with how things turned out.
I have actually been thinking about talking to my boss about this. I would like to take a few of my responsibilities away (which have been bolted on to my job and aren't even in my job description), for which I would gladly take a pay cut.
prairieman

Post by prairieman »

I made a job change at 42 because of stress and my new job was far less stressful -at first - with lower pay. As some have said, this job, too, became stressful after several years - because I could not coast. I guess I’m either all-in or all-out when it comes to my work ethic. Retirement eventually came - and all of that stress in the rear view mirror is letting me coast and truly enjoy life now. I don’t think I could ever be a good employee again, though since I’ve become addicted to coasting.
Beensabu

Post by Beensabu »

JoeRetire wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:52 am

I think you are. You seem to be having fun. Good for you.

Nobody is required to tolerate an employment situation they no longer wish to experience simply on someone else's say so. That's it.
"The only thing that makes life possible is permanent, intolerable uncertainty; not knowing what comes next." ~Ursula LeGuin
Topic Author
carloslando

Post by carloslando »

Beensabu wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:15 pm
I think people have largely missed that you're not looking to coast at your current job (i.e. do less work for the same pay) but potentially move into an easier job that pays less because it's easier. Not work less hard on purpose, but purposely find a job that demands much less of your soul (or none) be given to it.
YES, thank you for pointing that out! This forum has always been very supportive and kind with their advice and perspectives. I was surprised at seeing a lot of responses here that seemed harsh to me. It was my poor framing of my situation and the use of the word 'coast' that I think misled people.
Will be a lot clearer going forward when I look for advice.
Comparison is the killer of all joy.
Wannaretireearly

Post by Wannaretireearly »

carloslando wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:11 pm
Beensabu wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:15 pm
YES, thank you for pointing that out! This forum has always been very supportive and kind with their advice and perspectives. I was surprised at seeing a lot of responses here that seemed harsh to me. It was my poor framing of my situation and the use of the word 'coast' that I think misled people.
Will be a lot clearer going forward when I look for advice.
I'm 42 and like to keep my daily schedule flexible.
So far so good. Get commitments done.
I'm a bit worried about changes coming up and more responsibilities. To this end, I'd rather just coast and do well in my current role/responsibilities.
“At some point you are trading time you will never get back for money you will never spend.“ | “How do you want to spend the best remaining year of your life?“