Paying estimated taxes for the first year as Single after divorce

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
boomergeneration

Paying estimated taxes for the first year as Single after divorce

Post by boomergeneration »

For 2020, my filing status was Married Filing Jointly. For 2021 it will be Single, as I am now divorced. I went online to pay Estimated Taxes today and there seems to be no way of doing it so that it will apply to my return rather than the joint return, which is under my ex-spouses Social Security number listed first. I am hoping I can avoid a call to the IRS. Has anyone successfully dealt with this?

Thank you.
inverter

Re: Paying estimated taxes for the first year as Single after divorce

Post by inverter »

Have you tried EFTPS, versus Direct Pay? You might have to send in a check for this one.
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

EFTPS won't attempt to verify identify based on prior return like Direct Pay does.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, EV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.
trueblueky

Post by trueblueky »

Have you told the government about your changes?

SS-5 goes to Social Security if your name changed. IRS will get the info from them.

Form 8822 notifies the IRS of an address change. It has a box to check that tells them you and spouse you filed with now have separate addresses.