Strategy for passing your Digital Assets upon your death?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
luckybamboo

Strategy for passing your Digital Assets upon your death?

Post by luckybamboo »

Hello,
With the current pandemic and our family personally losing two young men to unfortunate accidents, our family is wondering how do we pass control of our digital assets to each other in case of sudden death or incapacity.
The parents of the young men that died in the accident do not have a way to unlock their iphone and apple policy prohibits anyone from unlocking phones or disabling passcodes.
We have Lastpass accounts and have authorized each other for Emergency Access. But I do not see this as a full proof situation.
Any thoughts or suggestions on HOW and WHAT to protect in terms of digital assets?
climber2020

Re: Strategy for passing your Digital Assets upon your death?

Post by climber2020 »

What is a digital asset?
tim1999

Post by tim1999 »

I solve this by having no digital assets.

There is a paper along with my will that spells out all my financial accounts/holdings.

I do realize I am a troglodyte even as a millennial.
Mike Scott

Post by Mike Scott »

Paper copies of important info kept in safe places by people/places you trust. It's a strategy that has worked a lot longer than digital has existed.
Swansea

Post by Swansea »

My estate attorney has the password to my hidden thumb drive with all digital accounts and access codes.

Post by 123 »

For financial accounts they are all set up as joint tenancy or with beneficiaries. We get paper statements for the primary purpose of any survivor to be able to identify accounts and their status. Spouse isn't very interested in it but I prepare a semi-annual spreadsheet listing all accounts, balances, strategy etc.

We have a shared family email account used for household business and common contacts. We have emails as well as social media accounts which we consider to be private to each of us forever.

In terms of personal death notifications beyond work and immediate family it would be driven by our Christmas card list. If we don't send a electronic or paper Christmas card we likely don't have much of an on-going relationship.
Last edited by 123 on Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
FIREchief

Post by FIREchief »

climber2020 wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:40 pm What is a digital asset?
+1. It would really help if you told us what you meant by "digital assets." You mention only the iphone, which a person could just let potential heirs know their passcode and Apple login credentials. In my case, I really don't know of anything on my iphone that would be of any use to anybody.
I am not a lawyer, accountant or financial advisor. Any advice or suggestions that I may provide shall be considered for entertainment purposes only.
celia

Post by celia »

Swansea wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:48 pm My estate attorney has the password to my hidden thumb drive with all digital accounts and access codes.
So what happens in 30 years when you die and the lawyer preceded you in death and his business was sold?

In other words, neither you nor the lawyer will be able to tell the beneficiaries anything.
celia

Post by celia »

I once asked kiva.com how I could give my account assets to someone after I died. They said to just give them my login info and the beneficiary could then change my email address to theirs.
philled82

Post by philled82 »

I keep a paper copy of our passwords in a Bank Safe Deposit box.
Topic Author
luckybamboo

Post by luckybamboo »

Digital Assets is content that resides in your digital devices like
Cellphone
Tablets
Computers
Cloud accounts like email, social media, memberships etc.

Digital Heir / Digital Legacy is how you pass access and ownership of the digital assets
oldfatguy

Post by oldfatguy »

luckybamboo wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:13 pm
Cellphone
Tablets
Computers

Digital Heir / Digital Legacy is how you pass access and ownership of the digital assets
I must be dense, but:
A) why does anyone need to access those things once someone is deceased?
B) just keep a list of accounts and passwords?
mptfan

Post by mptfan »

I have several suggestions, you may choose to adopt any or none of them depending on your situation.

1. Use a password manager and share your credentials with people you trust or your beneficiaries.
2. Use a password manager without sharing your credentials and use the emergency access feature to allow a trusted person to gain access to your password vault after you are gone. (Some passwords managers have this feature and some don't)
3. Use a cloud based storage provider, like Google Drive or Microsoft OneDrive, and share the contents of your drive or selected folders within the drive with a trusted person.
4. Print out your usernames and passwords and other relevant information and give them to a trusted person.
5. Use the Google Inactive Account manager feature on Google accounts to share your data with a trusted person after you are gone (after the account is inactive for 3 months). Other cloud data providers may have a similar feature.
6. Prepare a summary document for your loved ones or heirs that gives them all the relevant information they may need and email it to them.
7. You can save the summary document in a password manager and allow your trusted person to have access to it with the emergency access feature. You can keep your important documents in a safe at home and do the same with the safe combination to be accessed using the emergency access feature after you are gone. (You can save almost anything in most password managers, not just passwords)

Also keep in mind that if you have two step verification set up on any of your accounts your loved one may not be able to access your account even with the username and password if they do not have access to the second factor for verification. I'm not saying you should not have two step verification, I think you should, I'm saying you need to make it available in the event you are not around.
Last edited by mptfan on Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:13 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

Cellphone
Tablets
Computers

Can't apple conduct a complete wipe/iOS reinstall to reset iPhones, tablets and macs?

Why do I care about my e-mail and social media accounts when I'm dead? (My step-dad passed away last October and even tho I am Executor I just ignored his electronic accounts unless they may have contained cash/credits. I figure eventually gmail will figure out he is no longer active and just put his account into suspended animation and/or close it.)

Memberships in what? And since most are subscription nowadays, it's only a few months of loss of use.
Nate79

Post by Nate79 »

I thought this was going to be a Bitcoin thread.
Topic Author
luckybamboo

Post by luckybamboo »

oldfatguy wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:18 pm
Cellphone
Tablets
Computers

I must be dense, but:
Why - My phone is used for getting OTP for many websites. My phonebook has contacts of all the important people. I don't have a paper phonebook anymore. A lot of family photos are on my phone.
Many of my online accounts like email, google drive, onedrive have all the important files.
These are immediate ones. Maybe there's more that I can't think of
Topic Author
luckybamboo

Post by luckybamboo »

mptfan wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:25 pm I have several suggestions, you may choose to adopt any or none of them depending on your situation.

1. Use a password manager and share your credentials with people you trust or your beneficiaries.
2. Use a password manager without sharing your credentials and use the emergency access feature to allow a trusted person to gain access to your password vault after you are gone. (Some passwords managers have this feature and some don't)
3. Use a cloud based storage provider, like Google Drive or Microsoft OneDrive, and share the contents of your drive with a trusted person.
4. Print out your usernames and passwords and other relevant information and give them to a trusted person.
5. Use the Google Inactive Account manager feature on Google accounts to share your data with a trusted person after you are gone (after the account is inactive for 3 months). Other cloud data providers may have a similar feature.
6. Prepare a summary document for your loved ones or heirs that gives them all the relevant information they may need and email it to them.
7. You can save the summary document in a password manager and allow your trusted person to have access to it with the emergency access feature. You can keep your important documents in a safe at home and do the same with the safe combination. (You can save almost anything in most password managers, not just passwords)

Also keep in mind that if you have two step verification set up on any of your accounts your loved one may not be able to access your account even with the username and password if they do not have access to the second factor for verification. I'm not saying you should not have two step verification, I think you should, I'm saying you need to make it available in the event you are not around.
Great ideas. As regards to 2FA - most of my 2FA is either my phone or email. Phone - my family can remove SIM card from my phone and put it on a new phone and SMS can come to that. Email - they can have access from Lastpass.
FIREchief

Post by FIREchief »

Cellphone
Tablets
Computers

I don't understand why tablets/computers is included here. If any heir has physical possession of either of these, along with the password to log in, what else would be needed. Taken one step further, if they have possession of a flash drive used to back up the files on such devices, they don't need anything else (unless the flash drive is encrypted, which would again require the password). I understand that some folks want everything stored in the cloud, but a lot of Bogleheads don't (for various reasons). Family photos? Sure. Financial records? No way. :annoyed
Last edited by FIREchief on Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am not a lawyer, accountant or financial advisor. Any advice or suggestions that I may provide shall be considered for entertainment purposes only.
Topic Author
luckybamboo

Post by luckybamboo »

Big Dog wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:33 pm
Cellphone
Tablets
Computers

Can't apple conduct a complete wipe/iOS reinstall to reset iPhones, tablets and macs?

Why do I care about my e-mail and social media accounts when I'm dead? (My step-dad passed away last October and even tho I am Executor I just ignored his electronic accounts unless they may have contained cash/credits. I figure eventually Gmail will figure out he is no longer active and just put his account into suspended animation and/or close it.)

Memberships in what? And since most are subscription nowadays, it's only a few months of loss of use.
Your approach with your step-dad is fine if someone passes away and doesn't have any dependents that depend on their email / phone for 2FA or getting an OTP. For my family with young children, it's important to have a system in place to ensure seamless transition for the survivors
Invest4lt

Post by Invest4lt »

I am wondering about digital assets such as purchesed music and movies in iTunes iCloud and Kindle books. It sounds like the limited licensing doesn’t allow for transfers to another account owner. ☹️
https://slate.com/technology/2014/08/di ... u-die.html
"People sometimes fail to live because they are always preparing to live." - Alan Watts
NYC_Guy

Post by NYC_Guy »

This is a real issue. Digital albums may be the most understandable for people. Increasingly, important things with sentimental value are stored only electronically. Family albums, letters, writings (manuscripts for fledgling writers), medical records, family genealogy. These things used to be paper. They are almost certainly transitioning. And a family tree with research notes can be far more valuable in digital form. So yes, I urge ppl to have instructions in wills to handle this. And a list of passwords goes stale. So really you need a “backup email reset” or some other system that works for you.
humblecoder

Post by humblecoder »

I know one common thread that people responded with is, "why would somebody need to access info on your phone, email, etc". In the analog world, letters between family members, family photos in certain situations can become treasured heirlooms as they help retain the history of one's family. I know that I have a family photo album/scrapbook from my father's side of the family that is a treasure trove of tribal knowledge. One wonders how this will translate over into the digital world.

On my phone, I have years of photos and videos that I have taken that may be of interest to my descendants. It would be sad if all of that were lost because my heirs could not unlock my phone or I didn't have some plan to archive them. Same with social media. Social media is the digital equivalent of one's journal or one's letters to family and friends. Now I am sure there are items that we might not want our heirs to see, but if that's the case, maybe they shouldn't have been posted to social media in the first place! :happy

Consider the person who, when faced with a house ablaze, decides to save the family photo album or a shoebox full of birthday cards. When asked why they chose to save these seemingly valueless items, the person usually responds that everything else can be replaced, but those precious memories are priceless.

My point is that there absolutely is a use case for passing along one's digital assets. So before you poo poo the concept, think about how important those family photo albums, letters, postcards, journals, etc are to your family and what lengths you would go to in order to safeguard them. So why is the concept of saving, passing along these digital equivalents or foreign to people? Just because it happens to be a picture that appears on a monitor rather than on paper doesn't make it any less precious.

Anyway, I know I didn't answer the question, but I wanted to provide a counterpoint to all of the people challenging the question's premise. Hopefully my post will give you another perspective on the value of this.
Topic Author
luckybamboo

Post by luckybamboo »

humblecoder wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:50 pm I know one common thread that people responded with is, "why would somebody need to access info on your phone, email, etc". In the analog world, letters between family members, family photos in certain situations can become treasured heirlooms as they help retain the history of one's family. I know that I have a family photo album/scrapbook from my father's side of the family that is a treasure trove of tribal knowledge. One wonders how this will translate over into the digital world.

On my phone, I have years of photos and videos that I have taken that may be of interest to my descendants. It would be sad if all of that were lost because my heirs could not unlock my phone or I didn't have some plan to archive them. Same with social media. Social media is the digital equivalent of one's journal or one's letters to family and friends. Now I am sure there are items that we might not want our heirs to see, but if that's the case, maybe they shouldn't have been posted to social media in the first place! :happy

Consider the person who, when faced with a house ablaze, decides to save the family photo album or a shoebox full of birthday cards. When asked why they chose to save these seemingly valueless items, the person usually responds that everything else can be replaced, but those precious memories are priceless.

My point is that there absolutely is a use case for passing along one's digital assets. So before you poo poo the concept, think about how important those family photo albums, letters, postcards, journals, etc are to your family and what lengths you would go to in order to safeguard them. So why is the concept of saving, passing along these digital equivalents or foreign to people? Just because it happens to be a picture that appears on a monitor rather than on paper doesn't make it any less precious.

Anyway, I know I didn't answer the question, but I wanted to provide a counterpoint to all of the people challenging the question's premise. Hopefully my post will give you another perspective on the value of this.
Thank you Thank you so much. You accurately described what i am thinking.
Topic Author
luckybamboo

Post by luckybamboo »

Invest4lt wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:25 pm I am wondering about digital assets such as purchesed music and movies in iTunes iCloud and Kindle books. It sounds like the limited licensing doesn’t allow for transfers to another account owner. ☹️
https://slate.com/technology/2014/08/di ... u-die.html
nice point.
oldfatguy

Post by oldfatguy »

humblecoder wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:50 pm

I can see how that might be important to some people, but it isn't something I would give a second thought.
dogperson

Post by dogperson »

I executed an estate. I had my loved one’s email password, as well as the phone which was locked (and I didn’t have the passcode) but was set to display the content of text messages on the lock screen.

Email + viewing the two-factor authentication codes was enough to get into accounts to save memories, as well as to view account numbers for things like credit cards that made it easier to close them.

After that experience, I made sure that the family member who has a copy of my will also has my phone passcode and email password written down and stored with it. I give them updated post-it notes to replace the info as needed. Since I use 2FA, I would know if they tried to access my email account, in case that matters to you. I trust this person not to do that.

A few notes. First, I kept my deceased loved one’s phone number active until the estate was closed, which did cost more than cancelling it immediately. Second, I missed one online storage account with 2FA that I couldn’t get into because I didn’t think of it until after I cancelled the phone number (and got an email that the storage account would be shut down). Third, I had access to my loved one’s photos through Google Photos, through which a phone app uploaded all the photos taken on the phone to the cloud, where I could access them with the Google password. That would be a way to give your heirs access to your photos and videos but not your text messages, if that is your preference.
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

luckybamboo wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:56 pm
oldfatguy wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:18 pm
Cellphone
Tablets
Computers

I must be dense, but:
Why - My phone is used for getting OTP for many websites. My phonebook has contacts of all the important people. I don't have a paper phonebook anymore. A lot of family photos are on my phone.
Many of my online accounts like email, google drive, onedrive have all the important files.
These are immediate ones. Maybe there's more that I can't think of
Your photos should be backed up somewhere. Ditto your 'phonebook'. What happens when you lose your phone or someone steals it? (forget about passing) Ditto your important files. Needless to say, your spouse or personal representative needs access to the backup spot, a hard drive or the cloud.

Note, each vendor has different policies regarding access to Next of Kin upon death. If you want to insure the stuff gets passed, read the fine print or back it up to a physical disk. (which is what I do, to answer teh OP's question)

https://www.everplans.com/articles/what ... when-i-die
climber2020

Post by climber2020 »

Keep all your photos and other sentimentally valuable but monetarily worthless files backed up to a drive that is not password protected; or share your computer password with your spouse like I do.

A cellphone is a disposable, transient device and should be treated as such. They should never be used as a primary storage device.
Swansea

Post by Swansea »

celia wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:59 pm
Swansea wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:48 pm My estate attorney has the password to my hidden thumb drive with all digital accounts and access codes.
So what happens in 30 years when you die and the lawyer preceded you in death and his business was sold?

In other words, neither you nor the lawyer will be able to tell the beneficiaries anything.
The lawyer is a partner in a firm, also she is younger than I.
Bogle64Pilot

Post by Bogle64Pilot »

I found an emergency binder online that has a lot of this pre-organized. https://smartmoneymamas.com/ice-binder/ ... almoneyman

I check and make sure it’s up to date quarterly. Don’t bother keeping up to date with passwords in the binder instead use a password manager and then you only have to worry about updating one password periodically in the binder. I keep a digital copy of the emergency binder on my cloud storage drive and a hard copy with my original hard copy estate planning documentation.
Doc7

Post by Doc7 »

My wife and I share a family LastPass Account.