daycare FSA vs. child and dependent care tax credit

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
Rose1987

daycare FSA vs. child and dependent care tax credit

Post by Rose1987 »

Hi there,
I was just wondering if anyone has come across a calculator or formula to figure out the changes to dependent care FSA limits (now up to $10,500, previously $5k) versus the changes in the child and dependent care tax credit. I know I can't double dip, so I am trying to figure out the best tax strategy. Thank you!
FiveK

Re: daycare FSA vs. child and dependent care tax credit

Post by FiveK »

You could try the personal finance toolbox. It has entries for both, so may do what you want.
csmath

Re: daycare FSA vs. child and dependent care tax credit

Post by csmath »

Rose1987 wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:40 am Hi there,
I was just wondering if anyone has come across a calculator or formula to figure out the changes to dependent care FSA limits (now up to $10,500, previously $5k) versus the changes in the child and dependent care tax credit. I know I can't double dip, so I am trying to figure out the best tax strategy. Thank you!
If you have more than one child then usually it comes down to the larger of either your overall tax burden (FICA+Fed+State) with FSA or the DC Tax Credit recovery rate which starts at 50% but has a phaseout. If you want help, and not just a calculator to do it yourself, we would need to know:
  • # of dependents
  • expected total DC expenses
  • AGI
  • Tax liability rates: Fed, State, if you are subject to FICA