Seeking your reactions to tax situation.

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
sharppencilinvestor

Seeking your reactions to tax situation.

Post by sharppencilinvestor »

I filed my year 2019 Federal tax return by mailing it to the IRS on July 1, 2020. My return reflected that I was due a refund of about $ 3,000. I did not provide bank account information, so I expected to receive a check in the mail. There was no response for many months. At one point, I called the IRS, and after spending about an hour on hold I talked to a representative who said my situation was totally normal: that due to COVID-related disruptions, the IRS had a backlog in the processing of paper tax returns.

In December, 2020, the IRS mailed my original, paper return to me with a letter stating it was missing a signature. It was not, in fact, missing a signature. Supposing that perhaps the issue was that in my signature I did not fully spell out my name (although my full name was printed below), I neatly signed, above the original signature, spelling out my full name including my middle initial. I then mailed the return back to the IRS on December 22, 2020. This time, I was sure to purchase a "certificate of mailing" from the Post Office at the time of mailing.

No further response since then, and I never got a refund check.

Curious for your reactions to my odd situation . . . .
Last edited by sharppencilinvestor on Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
jebmke

Re: Seeking your reactions to tax situation.

Post by jebmke »

They have a mountain of paper to process.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
celia

Post by celia »

There is a multi-year backlog and you will be getting interest besides a refund.... eventually.

Keep your proof of mailing and anything else they may send you.

You are not alone on this issue.
A dollar in Roth is worth more than a dollar in a taxable account. A dollar in taxable is worth more than a dollar in a tax-deferred account.
MarkNYC

Post by MarkNYC »

sharppencilinvestor wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:32 pm In December, 2020, the IRS mailed my original, paper return to me with a letter stating it was missing a signature. It was not, in fact, missing a signature. Supposing that perhaps the issue was that in my signature I did not fully spell out my name (although my full name was printed below), I neatly signed, above the original signature, spelling out my full name including my middle initial. I then mailed the return back to the IRS on December 22, 2020. This time, I was sure to purchase a "certificate of mailing" from the Post Office at the time of mailing.

There are many people who have an illegible signature, so I don't think that was the problem. Your name should not have been printed on the signature line or anywhere in the signature section of the tax return. My guess is that IRS tax return processing detected a printed name rather than a hand-written signature. Hopefully the IRS will accept the "revised" signature page that you sent back.
RyeBourbon

Post by RyeBourbon »

You mean you filed it on July 1, 2020, right?
sharppencilinvestor wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:32 pm I filed my year 2019 Federal tax return by mailing it to the IRS on July 1, 2019.
Retired June 2023. AA = 55/35/10
babystep

Post by babystep »

sharppencilinvestor wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:32 pm I filed my year 2019 Federal tax return by mailing it to the IRS on July 1, 2019. My return reflected that I was due a refund of about $ 3,000. I did not provide bank account information, so I expected to receive a check in the mail. There was no response for many months. At one point, I called the IRS, and after spending about an hour on hold I talked to a representative who said my situation was totally normal: that due to COVID-related disruptions, the IRS had a backlog in the processing of paper tax returns.

In December, 2020, the IRS mailed my original, paper return to me with a letter stating it was missing a signature. It was not, in fact, missing a signature. Supposing that perhaps the issue was that in my signature I did not fully spell out my name (although my full name was printed below), I neatly signed, above the original signature, spelling out my full name including my middle initial. I then mailed the return back to the IRS on December 22, 2020. This time, I was sure to purchase a "certificate of mailing" from the Post Office at the time of mailing.

Why not e-file?
humblecoder

Post by humblecoder »

Here is my reaction....

Is there a reason that you do not e-file? I have e-filed for many years and when we have been due a refund, we've gotten it direct deposited within about 1-2 weeks.

Hearing horror stories such as this, I don't see why anyone would not e-file. Hopefully you will be e-filing your 2020 tax return.
Topic Author
sharppencilinvestor

Post by sharppencilinvestor »

RyeBourbon wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:31 pm You mean you filed it on July 1, 2020, right?
Yes. I'll edit the original post accordingly.
gogreen

Post by gogreen »

sharppencilinvestor wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:32 pm

It took them like 6 weeks to withdraw money from my acc (and I e-filed)! So I can only imagine refund by check SLA :oops:
SquawkIdent

Post by SquawkIdent »

Forward that post to one or more of your elected officials and request their help.