Homeowner Insurance Claim

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
4nickt

Homeowner Insurance Claim

Post by 4nickt »

I filed a homeowners claim filed for ice dam and subsequent water intrusion in February. Allstate sent a third party claims consultant/initial inspector to review damage. Allstate estimator followed up with Restoration/Service/Remodel that doesn't reflect actual damages and costs to restore damage.
No work done yet, but planning to hire contractors soon.

Any help is appreciated related to homeowner claims with insurance companies. This is my first rodeo with Allstate and homeowners claim in 25 years.

Will Allstate pay may claim based on my actual costs vs. the estimators cost summary?
bertilak

Re: Homeowner Insurance Claim

Post by bertilak »

4nickt wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:59 pm I filed a homeowners claim filed for ice dam and subsequent water intrusion in February. Allstate sent a third party claims consultant/initial inspector to review damage. Allstate estimator followed up with Restoration/Service/Remodel that doesn't reflect actual damages and costs to restore damage.
No work done yet, but planning to hire contractors soon.
I lost the thread... Are the claims consultant/inspector and estimator two different people? In what way does the Allstate estimator NOT address the damages?
Any help is appreciated related to homeowner claims with insurance companies. This is my first rodeo with Allstate and homeowners claim in 25 years.

Will Allstate pay may claim based on my actual costs vs. the estimators cost summary?
I would ask Allstate to identify someone who will do the repair -- for the cost Allstate came up with.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
Topic Author
4nickt

Post by 4nickt »

Yes. The consultant/inspector and estimator are two different people. The estimator is an Allstate employee. Allstate hires third parties do physical inspection who provides report to "estimator." This is part of their process. She provided summary report which details what will be paid. That said, nothing in summary addresses water intrusion behind the walls, insulation removal, and roof inspection/repair work that may be needed. The summary details primer and painting of stained walls nothing more.
HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch »

Consider contacting the AllState estimator to discuss the issues - damage/repairs not addressed or low estimates below market. Be prepared to send pictures of the damage not addressed in the 3rd party on-site inspector’s report and quotes from reputable contractors to support a higher repair estimate. Be thorough, tenacious, document everything in writing and keep a log of all your calls/contacts/emails. If you haven’t already done so, read your home policy so you are clear on what you are entitled to.

I had a similar issue with my insurer (not AllState) for a home claim (not a water claim). The in-house estimator had the authority to approve the additional work/higher reimbursement based on everything I submitted in writing (I was very prepared). The final mid-five-figure reimbursement I received was > 100% more than the initial estimate from the 3rd party on-site inspector.