IRS Direct Pay

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
sport

IRS Direct Pay

Post by sport »

I file a MFJ tax return. Last year, our income was lower due to the suspension of RMDs. So, in May 2020, I made a significant Roth conversion up to the point where it would not increase our IRMAA payments. At that time, I also made an estimated tax payment to cover the tax on the conversion. I sent the payment to IRS using "IRS Direct Pay".

Another Boglehead thread recently convinced me to open account at IRS.gov. I logged on today for the first time. They have not yet processed my 2020 return. This is not too surprising. However, the list of payments received does not show my estimated payment made last May. There are also no payments "pending".

Is this normal? If not, what should I do next?
HueyLD

Re: IRS Direct Pay

Post by HueyLD »

Did you save a copy of the confirmation after making the payment?
Topic Author
sport

Post by sport »

HueyLD wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:57 am Did you save a copy of the confirmation after making the payment?
Yes!
BogleTaxPro

Post by BogleTaxPro »

Try going back to the IRS page Direct Pay instead, and use the lookup tool there (eg: https://directpay.irs.gov/directpay/pay ... ution=e1s1). You'll need the confirmation number and your SSN. Then you can confirm that you entered the SSN correctly and that you specified that it was for 2020 ES and not some other year (or payment type).

Note: I just checked my account and an estimated payment that I made in September 2020 using Direct Pay is reflected in my account payment history.
Topic Author
sport

Post by sport »

BogleTaxPro wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:18 am Try going back to the IRS page Direct Pay instead, and use the lookup tool there (eg: https://directpay.irs.gov/directpay/pay ... ution=e1s1). You'll need the confirmation number and your SSN. Then you can confirm that you entered the SSN correctly and that you specified that it was for 2020 ES and not some other year (or payment type).

Note: I just checked my account and an estimated payment that I made in September 2020 using Direct Pay is reflected in my account payment history.
Thank you for this info. I checked the direct pay link you provided and my payment is there under my SSN. It does not show up for my wife's SSN. The IRS.gov account is set up for my wife. Might this be the disconnect even though we file MFJ?
BogleTaxPro

Post by BogleTaxPro »

sport wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:32 am
BogleTaxPro wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:18 am Try going back to the IRS page Direct Pay instead, and use the lookup tool there (eg: https://directpay.irs.gov/directpay/pay ... ution=e1s1). You'll need the confirmation number and your SSN. Then you can confirm that you entered the SSN correctly and that you specified that it was for 2020 ES and not some other year (or payment type).

Thank you for this info. I checked the direct pay link you provided and my payment is there under my SSN. It does not show up for my wife's SSN. The IRS.gov account is set up for my wife. Might this be the disconnect even though we file MFJ?
Yes! It's better to keep everything under the primary SSN of the tax returns so things don't get disconnected. Like this. Good to know you found it!
Topic Author
sport

Post by sport »

BogleTaxPro wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:34 am Yes! It's better to keep everything under the primary SSN of the tax returns so things don't get disconnected. Like this. Good to know you found it!
Many thanks for your help! I was worried that several thousand dollars got lost. :beer
beyou

Post by beyou »

I use EFTPS where it remembers my bank and it’s quite easy to make those estimated payments (easy once you determine the amount). The payment is processed fast, there is a history of payments and status that seems updated quickly after you pay. Can use this or other irs login at year end to see total paid for the year. Not sure why they don’t have a single site for all functions, but I use both, EFTPS for payments and other login for most other functions. I am aware if direct pay, and I know some prefer it, but I prefer as much data as possible does not have to be rekeyed each time. I use strong generated passwords and a secondary bank acct that has a low balance just suitable to pay specific things such as my taxes.
Topic Author
sport

Post by sport »

beyou wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:41 am I use EFTPS where it remembers my bank and it’s quite easy to make those estimated payments (easy once you determine the amount). The payment is processed fast, there is a history of payments and status that seems updated quickly after you pay. Can use this or other irs login at year end to see total paid for the year. Not sure why they don’t have a single site for all functions, but I use both, EFTPS for payments and other login for most other functions. I am aware if direct pay, and I know some prefer it, but I prefer as much data as possible does not have to be rekeyed each time. I use strong generated passwords and a secondary bank acct that has a low balance just suitable to pay specific things such as my taxes.
This makes sense if you make regular estimated payments. Normally, I just have taxes withheld from my RMD and never have to make an estimated payment. However, the zero RMD requirement last year gave me an opportunity to make a Roth conversion and I had to make a one time estimated payment for that. So, the Direct Pay option seemed to be the easiest method.