Taxes 2019

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
HappyPeaceful

Taxes 2019

Post by HappyPeaceful »

Hi,

I need help on my 2019 tax filing. I have two questions.

As context:
- I would really like to get on top of tax filing. Want to use COVID-gifted time, for 2019 and 2020.
- In the past, I have used H&R's tax filing service (brick-and-mortar) 2015-2018 with disappointing results, frustrating experiences, (and perhaps, erroneous numbers - which I've chosen to overlook), but now I want to start doing this myself.

------------------------ Questions ------------------------

1) I want to get a view of what I owe - is there an estimator (spreadsheet, online link...) I can use?

I used H&R Block Tax - Federal + CA State. Tried out a US tax filing software for the first time. Tried submitting Oct 15th, 2020; the return got rejected. I am not able to troubleshoot.

2) What would be a way to figure out what is missing? I am requesting direction on how to proceed.
-- I don't think I have got my overseas property calculations right - they seem way off, especially the depreciation calculations.
-- How do I resolve the errors -- am not able to troubleshoot.

------------------------ My parameters ------------------------
- US income: One salary, mine
- US property: mortgage (live in this house)
- Overseas property: rent and mortgage (+ depreciation?)
- Overseas income: one part of salary paid, given I am on secondment
- Overseas tax credit
- I lived in WA (Jan-Oct) and CA (Nov-Dec); family continued in WA all through
- Had filed for an extension until Oct 15th, 2020
- I pre-paid:
--> $7500 Federal Tax
--> $2500 CA State Tax

Thank you.

Edited for clarity in the questions.
inverter

Re: Taxes 2019

Post by inverter »

Welcome back to the forum. Given that you need to file back taxes and have some overseas elements which are non-standard, I'd recommend you hire a local CPA that is well reviewed/recommended.
calwatch

Re: Taxes 2019

Post by calwatch »

I would look into an enrolled agent referral service with experience in overseas tax issues.