Staying at a company after giving notice? (counter-offer)

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
PeterParker

Staying at a company after giving notice? (counter-offer)

Post by PeterParker »

Hey just looking for opinions on this as it's uncharted territory.

I've been with a company in the Midwest for 6 years --- I do tech/ IT work.
They were paying me $78k a year.

Anyway I finally poked my head out on the market, somewhat out of of boredom, and got offers for $81k and $90k.
Yeah the $90k sounds great but they decided to close all their physical offices for good, and frankly, I'm tired of 100% remote (I just got vaccinated).

I accepted the $81k job just for a new challenge and told my current employer.
Of course, now my current employer really wants me to stay. They offered a promotion and $86k. I suppose in the grand scheme of things, that's not a huge difference.

Are there any caveats to staying at a place after giving notice? I mean ... part of the reason they want me to stay is I handle a lot of financial and legacy systems that is such a grind, they really don't want to train anyone else to do it. Of course, they know I've been eyeing the door so might figure they better slowly backfill my duties, etc.
They also essentially said they could adjust my job duties to what I'm more interested in doing technically (interesting proposal) because they want me to stay.

I guess there's more to consider than money.
Anyone have experience accepting a counter-offer? I wonder if I need change for the sake of change. And will be longingly staring out my current office windows soon ...

Also if I do take the counter-offer .... then I'd be telling the "new place" that I'm backing out after accepting their offer (plus a week). Is that considered a scumbag move, or am I overthinking that?

Oh boy.
flowerpower

Re: Staying at a company after giving notice? (counter-offer)

Post by flowerpower »

Congrats! It’s up to you based on your career goals to decide what you ultimately want to do. But if you stay, this will be the only time you can expect a counter offer - and usually it introduces some doubt in your boss’/org’s mind about your long term commitment. If you renege having already accepted the other offer, it will burn a bridge. Not great but not end of the world either as long as this doesn’t become a habit in the market
wunderkind

Post by wunderkind »

A not uncommon scenario in the SF Bay Area tech field is that you leave the company for the new offer with the raise and if after a year or so you don't like your new job or other new prospects, you can go back to the old company and probably negotiate an even higher raise to rejoin. No hard feelings anywhere in that process.
Mlm

Post by Mlm »

I would never accept a counter offer, ever. To me it just says bad things about your current company.
Mary
Triple digit golfer

Post by Triple digit golfer »

You have to have a good grasp on how valuable you are and how much they like you and how this will impact you long term. You received two offers, so clearly you're employable. If you make it clear you're now happy with promotion and pay increase, I doubt they'll try to backfill, given that it'sa pain to do so. But that's just my uneducated hunch.

A few years ago I took a new offer, rejected a counter offer, worked two days at the new place, realized very quickly that is was nothing like it was advertised, called old company and was back the next day with counter offer pay. They were thrilled, told me they want to make things better, no hard feelings, and I said the same and that I felt motivated rejuvenated, blah blah blah. I've been there since. Things haven't changed, but at least I make more money and I suppose I realized that the grass isn't always greener. We haven't spoke of my exit and prompt return since.
Topic Author
PeterParker

Post by PeterParker »

Yeah sounds like both options could work out or not. I tend to overanalyze stuff I suppose.
awval999

Post by awval999 »

This is so very company and leader specific.

For some companies and leaders, even considering leaving Megacorp is a unimaginable betrayal. Accepting the counteroffer is just buying time for them to train your replacement and replace you.

For other companies, it’s “touché and congratulations” and “I’d love to see if we can match that” and “no hard feelings anyway”.

The reason why they say to never accept a counter offer is that it is so so rarely solely about compensation. There’s always something more. Comp is just the excuse to save face as you depart. For both you and your former leader.
Triple digit golfer

Post by Triple digit golfer »

awval999 wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:42 pm This is so very company and leader specific.

For some companies and leaders, even considering leaving Megacorp is a unimaginable betrayal. Accepting the counteroffer is just buying time for them to train your replacement and replace you.

For other companies, it’s “touché and congratulations” and “I’d love to see if we can match that” and “no hard feelings anyway”.

The reason why they say to never accept a counter offer is that it is so so rarely solely about compensation. There’s always something more. Comp is just the excuse to save face as you depart. For both you and your former leader.
This is all spot on.
Brianmcg321

Post by Brianmcg321 »

I would counter the counter offer for $91k.

You already got something lined up so it doesn't hurt to ask.
Rules to investing: | 1. Don't lose money. | 2. Don't forget rule number 1.
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

Why would you switch jobs for a $3K raise? Other than money, was there something really enticing about it?

IMO, you’re not doing this right. If you’re going to leave, you should be getting a minimum of a 15% bump. Just tell people, hey I make XXX now, and I’d love to work for you, but I need XXX+15% to make it all work out in my end. You can be patient, that offer is out there.

You can stay put if you want. Know though that a lot of people in your company resent you now. So still be looking and searching. Now you know you were underpaid there. And now, they know, that you know this. This often times turns out bad for you. Be clear though, there is no loyalty here. They were happy to pay you below market wages, and only upped it because you had them over a barrel. They weren’t doing right by you. So if you leave now, or in the near future, they will whine about you doing them dirty, when they went to bat for you. Remember, they didn’t go to bat for you. They would have paid you less forever if they could have.....
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

Brianmcg321 wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:48 pm I would counter the counter offer for $91k.

You already got something lined up so it doesn't hurt to ask.
This is good advice. The market has spoken, and you are worth at least 90. Tell them you’ll stay, but you can’t do that if it’s costing you money.
Soon2BXProgrammer

Post by Soon2BXProgrammer »

PeterParker wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:11 pm Also if I do take the counter-offer .... then I'd be telling the "new place" that I'm backing out after accepting their offer (plus a week). Is that considered a scumbag move, or am I overthinking that?
This happens all the time in the tech hub cities, and no one things anything about it. I'm not sure if it would create bad rap for your name where you are...
Earned 43 (and counting) credit hours of financial planning related education from a regionally accredited university, but I am not your advisor.
JohnSmith123

Post by JohnSmith123 »

Your big mistake is moving for $81k. You don’t know what you are walking into.
2nd mistake was telling your employer and having they counter.

You have now broken the circle of trust with the current employer.

At this point —- accept the $86k with the current employer and continue looking for something higher.
Guarantee that your current employer is working on Plan B when you leave or when they find your replacement.
Beensabu

Post by Beensabu »

The counter offer is just to get you to stay long enough to pass on your institutional knowledge.
They also essentially said they could adjust my job duties to what I'm more interested in doing technically (interesting proposal) because they want me to stay.
That's to keep you happy while they get you to train someone to know what you know so there's someone who knows what you know (because you just might be the only one).

Take the new job offer. You already accepted it. You didn't take 90k over 81k. Why would you take 86k?

Consult to your old company on the side to train the person they need to fill your shoes if your new employment contract allows you to do so.
"The only thing that makes life possible is permanent, intolerable uncertainty; not knowing what comes next." ~Ursula LeGuin
rob

Post by rob »

My rule has been to never accept a counter... You decided to leave and no good comes from staying at this point.
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien
Topic Author
PeterParker

Post by PeterParker »

Hmm some interesting thoughts here.

Yeah I've rarely job hopped ... I mean this was my lengthiest job.
I'm definitely a bit under market --- part of that is a non-traditional background and a few gaps in skills I'm working on.

TBH I was looking while I was making 75k and they only recently upped it. My range during the job search was 80k -- and I did ask the place if they could do 83k early on and they said we'll see in a few months (so no).

I wasn't actually fully aware of my potential value in the job market either.
Yeah really I was getting some certifications done and was going to apply for more stuff after that, but it was taking a while and I figured it's better to at least have some interesting change up in the meantime.

Hmm. Yeah I guess I shoulda got my ducks in a row BEFORE taking some actions. I was just dipping my toes in the job market, got a number of rejections, this place definitely seems pretty cool other than the slight pay increase. I figured they said you got the job and was enthused about it. Maybe I'll give it 8 months, knock out the certifications/ non-traditional gaps I'm currently working on, and then get back in the market/ ask for a raise.

Likely can possibly due some consulting for the current place in the meantime since they would be in a bit of a lurch.
rob

Post by rob »

PeterParker wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:18 pm Likely can possibly due some consulting for the current place in the meantime since they would be in a bit of a lurch.
Make sure you read the paperwork carefully - a lot of tech places would not allow this, they may require that they approve any side job and own any ip etc. All my roles have words like that and worse....
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien
Ocean77

Post by Ocean77 »

There would be nothing wrong with accepting the counter offer. We give counter offers to good employees all the time when they resign. Most of the time they don't accept, but if they do, we're thrilled they stay. Why else would we give a counter offer? It's all business, no hard feelings. Everybody is entitled to make the most out of her situation.
30% US Stocks | 30% Int Stocks | 40% Bonds
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

What happened to the 90K offer? If it's still alive, use that as a bargaining chip and ask 90K for you to stay.

I know some people have a negative opinion on accepting counters but I don't really see issues, very common in the Bay Area.
Starfish

Post by Starfish »

Mlm wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:27 pm I would never accept a counter offer, ever. To me it just says bad things about your current company.
A common way to get a raise is a counteroffer.
Jeepergeo

Post by Jeepergeo »

$78K and $81K are too close to say you are being under paid. If it were, one could then argue the $81K is under paid compared to the $90K.

What are the non salary metrics? Vacation, health benefits, 401k contribution/matching/phase in, bonus, commute distance, travel, etc.? Look hard at these benefits and metrics...they can be worth quite a bit and can vary significantly.

With two quick offers, you are employable, so you have that confirmation, so you can have confidence in your negotiations.

You could accept the counter offer from your present employer, or counter their offer and see where it goes...remember, you were prepared to leave so you have nothing to lose. Be professional at all times. Remember, you won't likely get another chance at your present company to counter offer, so think this through and pick a pathway.

This is business and loyalty went in the wind along with the defined benefit retirement plan. So if you stay with their offer or your counter offer, work hard, be effective, and keep your ears and eyes open to what is going on in the company. Stay networked outside the company via professional societies. And be prepared to move if needed or desired at a later date. Remember, many employers will base their offer on what you currently make, so raising that basis is important.
anoop

Post by anoop »

Don't worry about etiquette or the current place training your replacement. Just do what you think will make you happy (i.e. listen to your gut). When you make a decision, communicate it politely and diplomatically. Counter offers happen all the time. Sometimes counter counter offers happen too. And it's OK to change your mind.

I refused a counter offer from my previous employer (because I didn't want to go back on my offer acceptance) and I really regret it. They were even pursuing me after I had left. By the time I thought I had "put in enough time" at the new place, things had changed at the previous employer and going back was no longer an option.
Grogs

Post by Grogs »

Triple digit golfer wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:46 pm
awval999 wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:42 pm This is so very company and leader specific.

This is all spot on.
I mostly agree, although in my experience, the more vindictive leaders are too short-sighted to do the counteroffer. They want the "traitor" out of their sight as soon as possible. The idea of not only keeping them around, but rewarding them with a pay raise would simply be too abhorrent to consider. Of course, some may be vindictive but still pragmatic enough to know they need you for a few months.
dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 »

I think many are viewing the counter offer skeptically/cynically from the viewpoint of a megacorp. For a small business it's probably far easier to just give the guy more money to stick around if he does the job well. I think it's entirely likely they are genuine and don't want OP to walk. I wouldn't hesitate to accept the counter AND use the opportunity to tweak your job duties as they've offered.

I agree, though, that it was a mistake to jump ship for essentially a cost of living adjustment. Since it apparently wasn't about cash in the first place, maybe the new job is really more important to you than you realized.
HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch »

You need to honestly assess whether the counter-offer successfully addresses all of your issues with your position/employer. You also need to evaluate whether the organization will be fair-minded towards you/your role if you stay on.

I have found that counter-offers, when accepted, rarely resolved the issue as most times the employee’s issue was more than just title and compensation. So their managers (at least the far-sighted ones) planned how to address the role if the employer resigned again. Mostly this revolved around documenting the employee’s role, not allowing the employee to be the only one with key knowledge about an area and identifying a successor or how to re-allocate that employee’s responsibilities in the event the employee resigned again.
Exchme

Post by Exchme »

When poor employees resigned, we waved good-bye, when good ones resigned, we counter offered. When excellent ones resigned, we counter offered and offered to change their role. Sounds like you fit into that last category so tell them what role you want. Companies do not hold it against you to want new responsibilities and to grow - in fact they like that, it shows initiative.

In the long run, you will get rewarded in terms of the value you bring. You have extra value at your existing company in your institutional knowledge (team, procedures, systems, history), the new one is just taking you for a test drive. So if you didn't have other reasons to leave your existing company and they are making good faith efforts to find a role you want, why not stay?

Whichever company you go with, be gracious to the others and stay in touch - the world changes and it's good to keep contacts in different organizations.
Ramjet

Post by Ramjet »

I would stay at my current company, the salary increase from the competitor would not be enough to get me to leave
Escapevelocity

Post by Escapevelocity »

I would counter the counter at current employer to $95-100k. If they want you badly enough they will pay it.
gorow

Post by gorow »

Are you working with a third party recruiter? Most would advise you before you even interviewed that if you should accept an offer, you should be prepared to walk away. As others have mentioned, the meager increase to leave does not seem enough to warrant leaving unless you really don't like your current work or employer.
When I was in HR in Megacorp, my policy was to never make a counteroffer - it sends a message to other employees that your pay is not at market. I also held the belief that we employed your for your decision-making capability, I'm not going to question this decision.
Retired 1/1/2019. Not concerned about sequence of returns because two years here taught me what I need to know.
hand

Post by hand »

PeterParker wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:11 pm

Of course, now my current employer really wants me to stay. They offered a promotion and $86k. I suppose in the grand scheme of things, that's not a huge difference.
So you're considering continuing your career at your current job which has already showed you they won't pay you market rates unless you threaten to leave? Be prepared for your salary to stagnate going forward (assuming they aren't just doing this to buy time before they fire you.)
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

PeterParker wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:11 pm Anyway I finally poked my head out on the market, somewhat out of of boredom, and got offers for $81k and $90k.
Yeah the $90k sounds great but they decided to close all their physical offices for good, and frankly, I'm tired of 100% remote (I just got vaccinated).

Are there any caveats to staying at a place after giving notice?
IMHO, it doesn't make sense to accept a counter-offer.

You were bored. You wanted a new challenge.
The counter-offer is unlikely to satisfy you for any significant length of time.

You've proven to yourself that you can go out and get job offers. If this new job doesn't work out, you can be confident that you can do it again.
This isn't just my wallet. It's an organizer, a memory and an old friend.
niceguy7376

Post by niceguy7376 »

I will stay at the current one, take the pay increase and work on the certifications.
The familiarity of the env should let you concentrate on the certifications that you aim to complete
davemanjam

Post by davemanjam »

You state that you accepted the new job. You probably shouldn't have done that if you weren't going to really accept it.
I would be very appologetic with that company. Don't burn any bridges.
New Providence

Post by New Providence »

Accepting a job offer elsewhere has to be very well-thought out.

You, presumably, analyzed all the pros and cons of the situation. There was no real need for you take another job. Yet, for a number of reasons you only know, you accepted another jobs offer.

Nothing wrong with that. Now, Follow thru. Worse case scenario, if the new job doesn't work out for you, find another job. Always think twice, or thrice, before accepting an offer. But if you accept it, follow thru.
MAKsdad

Post by MAKsdad »

Ocean77 wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:05 pm There would be nothing wrong with accepting the counter offer. We give counter offers to good employees all the time when they resign. Most of the time they don't accept, but if they do, we're thrilled they stay. Why else would we give a counter offer? It's all business, no hard feelings. Everybody is entitled to make the most out of her situation.
I agree completely with this. I think the stories of getting a counter offer and then getting terminated are myths. If I didn't want an employee, I would never give them a counter in the first place. I've done that several times where I've just wished people good luck in their new role. Why would I counter offer and then get rid of someone shortly after? That's idiotic.

I also agree, though, with the person who said this strategy only works once. I would never give an employee a second counter offer, no matter how good they were.
Tamalak

Post by Tamalak »

Normally I'd say don't accept counter offer, because it usually implies the company was underpaying you.

But I don't see a huge difference in the salaries here. Either for going to the other company, or staying here. I don't think there's any disrespect in this scenario that would make it bad to stay.
Topic Author
PeterParker

Post by PeterParker »

To answer a few questions --

I don't think the current employer would have any hard feelings. I mean a few people are trying to get me to stay. It's a smaller company, about 300 people. I think primarily they don't want to be left in a lurch and think I bring value to the table. Although the company (as a whole) has a history of underpaying people, not just me.

The main reason for leaving was my boss changed last year, and it's been aimless, no solid goals, and in a holding pattern. They have made an earnest attempt to address that and revealed a major project that will change our tech landscape (already in the works).

I'm still hesitant because it's all ideas at this point, and I don't want 6 months down the road to be stagnating, but like I said, they offered a change in some job duties and pay.

The allure of the new place is ---- well it's a smaller company (100) and I feel I can make more impact/ have more autonomy. Also, after so many years at the current place, I do a lot of various maintenance tasks/ garbage collection work and it would be refreshing to cut bait.

I had no expectation whatsoever my current place would try to "keep me" -- so I did accept the new offer in earnest. Yeah I guess I'd be pretty rude to renege on that. But that probably shouldn't be the main concern either. Hmm. I'll still ponder this a bit.
I also held the belief that we employed your for your decision-making capability, I'm not going to question this decision.
Well they say it's always the mechanic that has the trashed car at home. I'm an expert in my work domain not general life decisions. Hah
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

PeterParker wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:14 am The allure of the new place is ---- well it's a smaller company (100) and I feel I can make more impact/ have more autonomy. Also, after so many years at the current place, I do a lot of various maintenance tasks/ garbage collection work and it would be refreshing to cut bait.
Don't forget that you don't actually know how things will work at the new place.
That nice manager might end up being less nice once the hiring is "done".
You might actually not have all that much autonomy.
There might be more "garbage work" than "advertised" while they were wooing you.
Or there could be a change of some sort (always a possibility).
Or there could be any number of other, uh, issues.

Just be aware that you *might* be jumping out of the frying pan right into the hidden fire.
(But when changing jobs, there's never any guarantee that that won't happen, of course.)

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
Topic Author
PeterParker

Post by PeterParker »

After thinking it over a bit more --- hmm part of the current places "counter" is an annual bonus (so have to stay a full year).

And yes, while it requires optimism to venture into a new workplace unknown (although they are very highly rated on glassdoor -- though I know you can scrub negative reviews for a fact lol) -- it also requires optimism to assume the current place will "change" in any meaningful fashion.

I feel even with a minor increase at the current place --- I'll feel like since I learned the ropes at this place a bit, they'll never respect my tech skills as much as the open market. And I feel my motivation may wane and even maybe some resentment might creep in, as I bide my time for the next thing.

Maybe the greatest lesson is me leaving and admiring the rubble (although I actually like many people there so yeah).
Hell maybe even the $88k place is the best ticket. But the 100% virtual really sucks ha. The idea of it.

I think change is more important than salary even at this point. I have a few gaps in skills I need to plug in the coming months anyway now that I finally dusted myself off and looked at the open market. Might as well enjoy some new challenges and novelty in the meantime.
investnoob

Post by investnoob »

PeterParker wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:20 am After thinking it over a bit more --- hmm part of the current places "counter" is an annual bonus (so have to stay a full year).

And yes, while it requires optimism to venture into a new workplace unknown (although they are very highly rated on glassdoor -- though I know you can scrub negative reviews for a fact lol) -- it also requires optimism to assume the current place will "change" in any meaningful fashion.

I feel even with a minor increase at the current place --- I'll feel like since I learned the ropes at this place a bit, they'll never respect my tech skills as much as the open market. And I feel my motivation may wane and even maybe some resentment might creep in, as I bide my time for the next thing.

Maybe the greatest lesson is me leaving and admiring the rubble (although I actually like many people there so yeah).
Hell maybe even the $88k place is the best ticket. But the 100% virtual really sucks ha. The idea of it.

I think change is more important than salary even at this point. I have a few gaps in skills I need to plug in the coming months anyway now that I finally dusted myself off and looked at the open market. Might as well enjoy some new challenges and novelty in the meantime.
If you consider the remote position, more, you could try to keep in mind that it is not remote on a "temporary" basis.
Where I am, I've had a hard time building new habits as I work remotely because the future is still uncertain. If I knew I could work from home permanently I think I would make better peace with it as I would find more ways to structure my life around it. Hope that makes sense. Especially once most people are vaccinated.
Grogs

Post by Grogs »

PeterParker wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:20 am After thinking it over a bit more --- hmm part of the current places "counter" is an annual bonus (so have to stay a full year).
Yeah, I think that bolded part would make my decision for me. Would it be guaranteed if the company laid you off after 11 months? Would it be recurring, or just a one-time thing? Too many ways that can work out badly for my liking. I would just tell the current employer that you really appreciate the offer, but you feel it's time to move on to something different.
tashnewbie

Post by tashnewbie »

Grogs wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:05 am
Yeah, I think that bolded part would make my decision for me. Would it be guaranteed if the company laid you off after 11 months? Would it be recurring, or just a one-time thing? Too many ways that can work out badly for my liking. I would just tell the current employer that you really appreciate the offer, but you feel it's time to move on to something different.
+1. I probably wouldn't have accepted the new job for only $3k more, unless there were non-compensation reasons you wanted to leave (and it sounds like there are). I would go to the new job and continue to develop and expand your skills. Good luck!
rich126

Post by rich126 »

Most of this is highly dependent on the company and managers involved. Some seem to hold everything against people and others are much more understanding. Some (most?) places I would never tell them anything about leaving until I gave my notice. Others I know the people well and will bounce things off of them and they can provide me important info such as whether there is interesting work in the pipeline, whether we are hitting a slow point, etc.

I view $3,000 as a non-factor in salary comparisons but everyone is different.

I've never asked a company that I was currently working at for more money. If I think I'm underpaid I go out and interview and see what I can get and then give notice. I just think that asking for more money is strange (in my convoluted brain). Either they value me or they don't. If I have to push for something, that is a bad sign to me.

Unlike 20+ years ago, people change jobs all the time. My father (80s and like many in his generation only worked for one company) is always worried when I say I'm looking around again. He thinks companies will hold it against me and I try to explain they hire people based on making money off you and understand people move around more especially w/o pensions. (And while I've had 4-5 jobs where I left in less than 2 yrs, I've also stayed 6+ yrs, 8+ yrs and 15 yrs at jobs so it just depends on work and management. If it is uninteresting or a bad vibe, it is best to move on if you have options.)
----------------------------- | If you think something is important and it doesn't involve the health of someone, think again. Life goes too fast, enjoy it and be nice.
ut2sua

Post by ut2sua »

PeterParker wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:11 pm Hey just looking for opinions on this as it's uncharted territory.

I've been with a company in the Midwest for 6 years --- I do tech/ IT work.
They were paying me $78k a year.

Anyway I finally poked my head out on the market, somewhat out of of boredom, and got offers for $81k and $90k.

Are there any caveats to staying at a place after giving notice? I mean ... part of the reason they want me to stay is I handle a lot of financial and legacy systems that is such a grind, they really don't want to train anyone else to do it. Of course, they know I've been eyeing the door so might figure they better slowly backfill my duties, etc.

I guess there's more to consider than money.
Anyone have experience accepting a counter-offer? I wonder if I need change for the sake of change. And will be longingly staring out my current office windows soon ...

Also if I do take the counter-offer .... then I'd be telling the "new place" that I'm backing out after accepting their offer (plus a week). Is that considered a scumbag move, or am I overthinking that?

Oh boy.
There should be no consequence at your current company if you accept the counter offer. This has been done frequently. This is a sign that you have been doing well and being valued at your current work place. Assuming you have accepted the offer from the new company, there will be consequence there. You should cross them out as a potential future work place.
Good luck
MittensMoney

Post by MittensMoney »

People who accept counter-offers generally end up quitting within 6-12 months anyway, and often the company knows this and is already thinking about how to replace you during that time. I'd say go for the new offer, specifically because you say it's a new challenge and the monetary difference at this point is somewhat negligible.
BatBuckeye

Post by BatBuckeye »

At my former company, now retired, I knew people who resigned but then accepted higher pay to stay put. It worked out okay for them. I thought it was a bad reflection that some people had to resign to get a well deserved raise and/or promotion.
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

MittensMoney wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:55 pm People who accept counter-offers generally end up quitting within 6-12 months anyway
Correct. There are always reasons beyond just salary that motivate someone to start looking elsewhere. By the time an offer from another company is accepted, the worker has already mentally checked-out at that point, and accepting a counter-offer inevitably only keeps them around for a short while.

That's why, as a manager, I never provide a counter-offer. And as a worker, I never accept a counter-offer.
This isn't just my wallet. It's an organizer, a memory and an old friend.
rebellovw

Post by rebellovw »

I did it - it worked out well.

A high tech database company - I won't name the name.

I found a job working at a bank in SF (I always wanted to work in SF) - when the CEO/Founder found out - I was asked to his office - and he allowed me to define my job and it matched the bank.

I stayed and went back on my offer to the bank.

I broke all the "rules" - I stayed at the company AND I bagged out of an accepted offer.

It was the best thing for my career.
Pikel

Post by Pikel »

I know people who have stuck around long term after accepting counter offers.

The main thing I noticed with the OP is that they're bored. Which is bad now, and it's bad for long term career prospects. When you are young AND motivated, it is good to move around a few times. You will learn more, have more opportunities to progress, and make more money. You will also come to recognize when it's time to jump ship, or when you're in a good spot.
rebellovw

Post by rebellovw »

Pikel wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:22 pm I know people who have stuck around long term after accepting counter offers.

The main thing I noticed with the OP is that they're bored. Which is bad now, and it's bad for long term career prospects. When you are young AND motivated, it is good to move around a few times. You will learn more, have more opportunities to progress, and make more money. You will also come to recognize when it's time to jump ship, or when you're in a good spot.
Yeah - it has to be more than about the money - in my case it was a complete new job. And when one of your hero's asks you to stay well...
Last edited by rebellovw on Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.