Confirmation of scheduled tax payments

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
jac

Confirmation of scheduled tax payments

Post by jac »

We filed both US and state taxes yesterday and got a notice that both were received. We then scheduled payments for 2020 and estimated taxes, but got no confirmation for the 2020 taxes, although we did get confirmation for the estimated taxes. Is there some way to confirm that the payments are actually scheduled or do we have to wait to find out from our bank when it is withdrawn in 10 days?
jebmke

Re: Confirmation of scheduled tax payments

Post by jebmke »

It sounds like you used direct debit when you filed your return to schedule the 2020 payment. They do not issue any confirmation to my knowledge. Need to monitor bank to make sure the debit occurs. Only risk is wrong account info on the return but you should be able to see that on the return.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
Topic Author
jac

Post by jac »

We used EFW (electronic funds withdrawal). I wonder if they do not confirm.
tenkuky

Post by tenkuky »

jac wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:24 pm We used EFW (electronic funds withdrawal). I wonder if they do not confirm.
They do not confirm before-hand. But like clockwork, the EFW came out for us on March 31 like we scheduled and we got an email confirmation of the same then.
Topic Author
jac

Post by jac »

Thanks. I feel better about it. Next time I won't schedule so far ahead. Nice that they send an email. Just have to be patient.
Mike Scott

Post by Mike Scott »

You can check your tax transcript to see what has posted. It can take a few days to show up.
Topic Author
jac

Post by jac »

The withdrawals for payment of 2020 tax and estimated tax were due today. I checked this morning and the IRS estimated payment and the Ca 2020 tax and Ca estimated payment were pending today. There was no IRS 2020 tax listed . I haven't gotten any email confirmations either.
Topic Author
jac

Post by jac »

I checked with my bank this morning and the IRS withdrawal is scheduled for today, 4 days later than the scheduled date. A lot of people seem to be concerned about the delay but need to be patient.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

jac wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:31 am I checked with my bank this morning and the IRS withdrawal is scheduled for today, 4 days later than the scheduled date. A lot of people seem to be concerned about the delay but need to be patient.
FYI - I have been using EFTPS for these payments for a while now and they have never missed a date.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications