Federal E-File rejected due to Duplicate 1099-R

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
fetch5482

Federal E-File rejected due to Duplicate 1099-R

Post by fetch5482 »

IRS thinks my e-Filed returns (Via TurboTax Desktop version) has a duplicate 1099-R. It rejected my e-file with the following:
Duplicate 1099R - Unfortunately, we've noticed your return may have included duplicate Form 1099-R information. Please login to TurboTax in order to resolve this issue before we can e-file your accurate return.
However I do not have a duplicate 1099R. It just so happens that my and my spouses 1099R are exactly the same (with exact same amount). In TT I have selected the names correctly for each 1099R. However it is rejected.

Any suggestions (besides printing and paper filing) that can help?

update
Several people ran into this issue. Assuming you have double-checked that both 1099R are in fact not duplicate (i.e. for different people or different accounts), there are two ways to work-around this:
  1. Do a paper-based file via US Mail instead of E-Filing. This is not convenient, but the best way to work-around this bug in my opinion.
  2. Change one of the two 1099R amounts in box 1 and 2 to one cent higher or lower (example 6000.25 vs 6000.24). When transmitted to IRS, these numbers are any way rounded, so it should not change anything in terms of taxes owed, and unlikely to get error-checked by IRS. Ofcourse, this is slightly more risky since you are putting an incorrect number, but I personally feel comfortable with it given the rounding.
I went with the 2nd option of rounding-up my amount (changed 6000.51 to 6001 in one of the two 1099R -- although 6000.52 would've worked just fine too).
Last edited by fetch5482 on Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(AGE minus 23%) Bonds | 5% REITs | Balance 80% US (75/25 TSM/SCV) + 20% International (80/20 Developed/Emerging)
cas

Re: Federal E-File rejected due to Duplicate 1099-R

Post by cas »

This year my spouse and I had 1099-Rs (Roth conversions at Vanguard) for the same dollar amount.

The SS # and account # on the 1099-R were different, though, and Turbotax happily entered downloaded those into its internal 1099-R.

It also happily e-filed (and return accepted by IRS.)

Maybe take a look at the 1099-R in the forms view (or print tool -> with all worksheets) and check whether the SS# and account# spots are filled in correctly (and differently)?
smokeycanoe

Post by smokeycanoe »

Did you manage to resolve? I've run into the same thing.

Mailing the paper return seems crazy. TurboTax support suggested lying on my return to make them slightly different (hahaha, no).
Topic Author
fetch5482

Post by fetch5482 »

cas wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:10 pm Maybe take a look at the 1099-R in the forms view (or print tool -> with all worksheets) and check whether the SS# and account# spots are filled in correctly (and differently)?
I did double-check.. They are different. I tried to delete and re-add the 1099R just to be 100% sure. I'll know in a day or so if that goes through.
smokeycanoe wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:09 pm Did you manage to resolve? I've run into the same thing.

Mailing the paper return seems crazy. TurboTax support suggested lying on my return to make them slightly different (hahaha, no).
how do you lie -- change the amount? I added "VFTC" acronym to one of the two 1099R for payer name (instead of Vanguard Fiduciary Trust Company, spelled out).. But that didn't help.
(AGE minus 23%) Bonds | 5% REITs | Balance 80% US (75/25 TSM/SCV) + 20% International (80/20 Developed/Emerging)
dshenmdyn

Post by dshenmdyn »

I have the same problem and just received the eFile rejection email.
I verified in the "Form view" that the two 1099-R have different SS#. They both showed our names correctly.
Unfortunately the dollar amount are identical to the cent on both forms.

I went to check my last years filing and found that it had the exact same situation (identical amount and payer name, but different and correct payee names for me and spouse) and it was eFiled successfully last year.

Is it a problem on the IRS side or is it a problem on TT? Will it likely be fixed some days later?
trueblueky

Post by trueblueky »

dshenmdyn wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:22 pm I have the same problem and just received the eFile rejection email.
I verified in the "Form view" that the two 1099-R have different SS#. They both showed our names correctly.
Unfortunately the dollar amount are identical to the cent on both forms.

I went to check my last years filing and found that it had the exact same situation (identical amount and payer name, but different and correct payee names for me and spouse) and it was eFiled successfully last year.

Is it a problem on the IRS side or is it a problem on TT? Will it likely be fixed some days later?
I imagine TT problem. We use TaxSlayer as AARP TaxAide volunteers. It asks something like: "this looks like a duplicate. Did you really mean to do that?" Click Yes, and it's all good.

How that Yes gets to the IRS, I don't know. Maybe they trust it coming from TaxAide. I had an elderly client with seven identical taxable accounts -- each with a different grandchild as POD -- and that sailed thru. EIN same, SSN same, amount same. Nothing went to the IRS that said, " this one is for Little Janie, and that one is for Jack Jr."
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

gas_balloon wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:57 am IRS thinks my e-Filed returns (Via TurboTax Desktop version) has a duplicate 1099-R. It rejected my e-file with the following:
Duplicate 1099R - Unfortunately, we've noticed your return may have included duplicate Form 1099-R information. Please login to TurboTax in order to resolve this issue before we can e-file your accurate return.
However I do not have a duplicate 1099R. It just so happens that my and my spouses 1099R are exactly the same (with exact same amount). In TT I have selected the names correctly for each 1099R. However it is rejected.

Just curious was the 1099R imported from Vanguard or entered manually?
Topic Author
fetch5482

Post by fetch5482 »

tibbitts wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:19 pm
gas_balloon wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:57 am IRS thinks my e-Filed returns (Via TurboTax Desktop version) has a duplicate 1099-R. It rejected my e-file with the following:

Entered manually
cas

Post by cas »

gas_balloon wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:22 pm
Entered manually
For my case (where I didn't have any issues getting the IRS to accept the return this past Sunday 3/29), I imported mine from Vanguard (old style mutual fund accounts). Then went through and reviewed and answered the assorted TT questions.

But I also have the difference (perhaps) that my spouse and I each did 2 Roth conversions ... one March 2020 and one at the end of the year. The March ones were for identical amounts. The December ones were not. But Turbotax lists 4 separate 1099-Rs in forms view, so I don't think I am avoiding the issue because they got consolidated with a different total number for each spouse. But who knows.

Using Turbotax Home and Business desktop.
alelfl

Post by alelfl »

I had the same problem. Filed on 3/28, got rejected for duplicated 1099R. My husband and I both contributed same amount in 2020. I double checked the forms, the SSN and names are different. Both of us imported 1099R from Fidenlity. I called Turbotax customer support twice to find a resolution, after 2 hrs waiting and troubleshooting, the final answer was to mail the return. I then deleted both 1099R in turbotax and re-imported from Fidelity. I made sure everything is correct, no duplication. Re-efiled yesterday, just got rejection again for the same reason. I did a google search and I am so glad to find this post. Anyone who figures this out, please report it back. I hope Turbotax can fix this bug in a few days.
dcop

Post by dcop »

gas_balloon wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:20 pm
how do you lie -- change the amount? I added "VFTC" acronym to one of the two 1099R for payer name (instead of Vanguard Fiduciary Trust Company, spelled out).. But that didn't help.
If you change the amount manually by 1.00 I'm not sure that is lying. 'If' the IRS system caught it (and cared) they would just change it themselves and notify you in some way. Back in the old days (80's and 90's) they corrected math errors on my part multiple years.

Will this solve your TT issue? I have no idea.
Am I advocating cheating? No that would in no way constitute cheating. In all likelihood the IRS would probably say that was a good solution to the duplicate issue.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

Entered manually
What happens if you delete them and then import and try to file again? Probably it will import any other Vanguard items you have as well, of course.
Asyouwish

Post by Asyouwish »

Is it a problem on the IRS side or is it a problem on TT?
Definitely TurboTax. The IRS gets the 1099-Rs for each taxpayer. They match by SSN and dollar amount.

With tax software, the dollar amount transmits via the line on the tax return. The actual 1099-R only transmits (an electronic version) if there is withholding. Similar to a W-2. If there is no withholding, then it’s just an entry in the software and the total $ amount shows up on the tax return. The IRS cares about the $ amount being correct.
lstone19

Post by lstone19 »

Asyouwish wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:12 am
Definitely TurboTax. The IRS gets the 1099-Rs for each taxpayer. They match by SSN and dollar amount.

With tax software, the dollar amount transmits via the line on the tax return. The actual 1099-R only transmits (an electronic version) if there is withholding. Similar to a W-2. If there is no withholding, then it’s just an entry in the software and the total $ amount shows up on the tax return. The IRS cares about the $ amount being correct.
I have always assumed that what is sent when you e-file is only the same data that is sent when you paper file. But that could be an incorrect assumption. So two 1099-Rs and I assume all that is e-filed is the total and not the details of the two separate forms. If the assumption is true, then increasing one 1099-R by a dollar and reducing the other by a dollar might be a workaround. OTOH, if an e-filed return sends more detail, then such a workaround could cause IRS mismatches.
cas

Post by cas »

Asyouwish wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:12 am The actual 1099-R only transmits (an electronic version) if there is withholding. Similar to a W-2. If there is no withholding, then it’s just an entry in the software and the total $ amount shows up on the tax return.
If it possibly helps narrow down the nature of the problem...

My spouse and I did *not* have any withholding on any of our 1099-Rs. (And I'm the person who is saying the IRS *did* accept my spouses-have-matching-1099Rs (within an hour after e-filing)). If the 1099-R details weren't transmitted to the IRS (due to lack of withholding), then that could explain why there was no e-file problem.

So ... those of you reporting E-file rejection ... did you have withholding on the 1099-Rs?

Or ... if you didn't have withholding, is Box 4 as you entered into Turbotax 0 or blank?

Don't know if "0" vs blank that would make a difference in whether Turbotax's computer brain decided to transmit the 1099-R details, but, FWIW, my box 4s are blank.

(All the above still wouldn't explain why the IRS isn't picking up the different SS#s, even if the 1099-R details are transmitted...)
Topic Author
fetch5482

Post by fetch5482 »

tibbitts wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:28 pm

Entered manually
What happens if you delete them and then import and try to file again? Probably it will import any other Vanguard items you have as well, of course.
Atleast deleting and manually re-entering didn't work. I had a reject again today. I'll try increasing one of the 1099-r form by $1 and see if it goes through.
Last edited by fetch5482 on Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SnowBog

Post by SnowBog »

Same error. I gave up and mailed them. (Debated changing numbers, but didn't go that path.)
dshenmdyn

Post by dshenmdyn »

After the first round of rejection, I deleted both forms.
Then re-imported one of the forms; manually entered the second one.
Both 1099R were issued by Fidelity.
The payer address imported is different from the address printed on the physical forms I received which I manually typed in for the 2nd form.
I thought this might work.
It did NOT.

I got another rejection just now. Frustrated.
Topic Author
fetch5482

Post by fetch5482 »

SnowBog wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:28 pm Same error. I gave up and mailed them. (Debated changing numbers, but didn't go that path.)
Worst part is I already paid $25 for state e-file... and you can't get the refunded now. So my option is to eat that $25 loss, print and mail (which is a LOT of print-outs)... or figure out a way to make it work with e-file.
dcop

Post by dcop »

I would suggest lesson learned and see if you can do freetaxusa.com. If not then anyone but TT.
cas

Post by cas »

gas_balloon wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:05 pm ...or figure out a way to make it work with e-file.
I checked, and there is at least one Turbotax community thread on this issue:

E-File was rejected because of "duplicate" 1099-R forms

Multiple people (but not everyone) report that their return was accepted when they changed one of the 1099-R amounts by 1 cent.

Workaround, not a fix, but...
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

Why do so many people have identical 1099-Rs? This seems very strange to me. Was it done intentionally for a 50/50 split of income?
cas

Post by cas »

UpperNwGuy wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:34 pm Why do so many people have identical 1099-Rs? This seems very strange to me. Was it done intentionally for a 50/50 split of income?
Among the boglehead's community I would guess that a very common reason is that people are doing the backdoor Roth process for both spouses.

Make the max annual non-deductible tIRA contribution into same investment (probably money market fund) in empty tIRAs on one day for both spouses.
Convert "all shares" in tIRA to Roth IRA the next day.
This would generate a 1099-R Code 2 with identical amount for each spouse.
SnowBog

Post by SnowBog »

cas wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:52 pm
UpperNwGuy wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:34 pm Why do so many people have identical 1099-Rs? This seems very strange to me. Was it done intentionally for a 50/50 split of income?
Among the boglehead's community I would guess that a very common reason is that people are doing the backdoor Roth process for both spouses.

Make the max annual non-deductible tIRA contribution into same investment (probably money market fund) in empty tIRAs on one day for both spouses.
Convert "all shares" in tIRA to Roth IRA the next day.
This would generate a 1099-R Code 2 with identical amount for each spouse.
Exactly this.
tj

Post by tj »

Next year, do one for $6000 and one for $5999.

Problem solved.
Topic Author
fetch5482

Post by fetch5482 »

gas_balloon wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:07 pm Atleast deleting and manually re-entering didn't work. I had a reject again today. I'll try increasing one of the 1099-r form by $1 and see if it goes through.
Update: this worked. It didn't change my amount owed or anything, but I just rounded up the numbers on one of the 1099R and got an accept within 30 minute.

Update 2: Also received accept from CA state
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

cas wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:52 pm Among the boglehead's community I would guess that a very common reason is that people are doing the backdoor Roth process for both spouses.
Also common with couples who buy annuities. I see this all the time at TaxAide.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
Topic Author
fetch5482

Post by fetch5482 »

Asyouwish wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:12 am

Given that changing the numbers by 1 cent makes this work, I'm inclined to agree that this is a TT bug, not IRS: the latter only receives rounded figures, so from IRS perspective, 6000.23 and 6000.22 is the same.

The error text makes one think its IRS that's rejecting the e-file though😂
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

gas_balloon wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:05 pm
SnowBog wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:28 pm Same error. I gave up and mailed them. (Debated changing numbers, but didn't go that path.)
Worst part is I already paid $25 for state e-file... and you can't get the refunded now. So my option is to eat that $25 loss, print and mail (which is a LOT of print-outs)... or figure out a way to make it work with e-file.
Option 1: Add a penny to one of the 1099-R forms. I am pretty comfortable that the IRS will not care. I have been advised by the IRS to add a dollar before because of a similar issue.

Option 2: I have been refunded the state efile fee when an efile was not possible through no fault of my own. I used the chat feature to get my refund.
dshenmdyn

Post by dshenmdyn »

I decided to use the "add a cent" work around.
Add 1 cent to one of the 1099R and re-submitted and it got accepted within a couple of hours.

Thanks for sharing your experiences
TierArtz

Post by TierArtz »

The add a penny work-around worked for me. The re-submission was accepted in about 15 minutes.
donall

Post by donall »

I’ve worked with four different tax software programs between volunteering and doing our family taxes. Each program has its quirks. With the program we are using now at the VITA site, we are directed to enter $1 for other income, if the only income is Social security to efile. Otherwise the return gets rejected.
The work around mentioned about changing the amount on the 1099-R with TurboTax makes a lot of sense. This year is especially difficult, with numerous last minute retroactive tax changes.
Ddd7651

Turbotax Rejected Federal return- Duplicate 1099R

Post by Ddd7651 »

[Thread merged into here --admin LadyGeek]

So I received a rejection from the IRS from turbotax filing my taxes. Reason: Duplicate 1099R

I checked. I don't have a duplicate. However, my wife does have 2 separate 1099Rs from Fidelity for the same account with different amounts and the type code. Everything else is the same: name, address, account number, spelling of everything. The reason for two is that I got one when she received a disbursement from an after-tax 401k via a check and rolled it to a roth. No problem. However, I was limited to one check per year and was trying to do this rollover 4 times a year as allowed. I hate calling Fidelity and waiting on hold and just want to do it myself. The remaining 3 times I was forced to call Fidelity and they did it. My second 1099R had the electronic rollovers on it via phone, and the first 1099R for a smaller amount referenced the check rollover. It looks like the IRS is seeing this as the same?

I think I read that this could be a bug on the IRS side. What I did: I removed the account number on each in turbotax (didn't require it) and I changed the institution to say Fadelity and left out the rest of the mumbo Jumbo. Yes, I misspelled it on purpose and perhaps their are greater crimes. I'm just trying to get the system to not see it as a duplicate. My guess is it saw the same account number or name on both forms and it got rejected.

Anyone experience this? I am now waiting again after submitting to find the result. I REALLY don't want to have to file by mailing it in over a glitch.
Katietsu

Re: Turbotax Rejected Federal return- Duplicate 1099R

Post by Katietsu »

This is probably going to get rejected. The EIN number for the payer must match the first 4 letters of the name of the payer. If you want to misspell something it needs to start at letter 5.

Are you sure the IRS rejected it? This seems to be a problem that people talk about with Turbotax. Retirees might have half a dozen 1099-R forms from the same company just because of the way the accounts are set up.
Last edited by Katietsu on Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
mkc

Re: Turbotax Rejected Federal return- Duplicate 1099R

Post by mkc »

See topic here for previous discussion viewtopic.php?f=2&t=344645
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

^^^ I merged Ddd7651's thread into the ongoing discussion.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Ddd7651

Post by Ddd7651 »

This thread helped me. I am awaiting another rejection, however, my spouse and I both do a regular backdoor roth with etrade so we have two forms for the same amounts, 6k. I think in past years they have been different and invested prior to rolling over. This year, I wanted to keep it simple and not do anything until it completed. I think I was looking at Fidelity but it is Etrade causing me the issues since I do both mine and my wife's at the same time for every step along the way. This helped me look at my other brokerage. Maybe I incorrectly assumed that two forms with different SSNs and account numbers would be seen different. This is my last shot I guess.

After my rejection I am expecting, I may try the 1 cent trick.
prairieman

Post by prairieman »

Wow! I suddenly hate TurboTax because this also happened to me, too. I suspect TurboTax does not (or cannot) transport social security numbers with the 1099R reports. Very annoying to send in a paper copy.
Interestingly, This year I paid Intuit $25 to e-file my State taxes and was then quickly told one of my forms could not be e-filed to the state. I can’t get my $25 back without jumping through a bunch of hoops.
Then - while scrutinizing the tax forms I found TurboTax had been mishandling another issue for several years now that caused a combined Tax overcharge of $2340 (Federal only). I have to send in amended taxes for 2017-2020 to fix it. I haven’t looked yet to see if the state taxes need to be redone, too, but OMG! What a terrible mess!
Thus ends my long association with TurboTax.
mkc

Post by mkc »

prairieman wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:34 pm
Then - while scrutinizing the tax forms I found TurboTax had been mishandling another issue for several years now that caused a combined Tax overcharge of $2340 (Federal only). I have to send in amended taxes for 2017-2020 to fix it. I haven’t looked yet to see if the state taxes need to be redone, too, but OMG! What a terrible mess!
Would you mind starting a new topic to describe the issue you found? I'd rather not hijack the current topic but I'm sure others would appreciate it.
prairieman

Post by prairieman »

mkc wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:36 pm
prairieman wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:34 pm
Would you mind starting a new topic to describe the issue you found? I'd rather not hijack the current topic but I'm sure others would appreciate it.
I already had. Sorry, all three problems were discovered in the last day. No intention of hi-jacking.
Ddd7651

Post by Ddd7651 »

Update: Got my last rejection. Changed one 1099R to add one cent. Within 30 min Federal was finally accepted. The paperwork doesn’t include cents so both still have a clean even $6000 for me and wife each. Software issue.
Topic Author
fetch5482

Post by fetch5482 »

Op here. TT had several issues this year. I personally ran into these three:
1) 1098 from different refinances had to be manually added up, otherwise you could hit pro-rata of deductible interest (https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/loans ... 01/1897136)
2) 1099-R duplicate issues (this thread)
3) I got a warning that my employer will send a W2-c because I deferred part of my Social security (https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/retir ... light/true)
Carl53

Post by Carl53 »

To those of you that added .01 or did similar modification to your reported 1099R income, did you check the box that it is a reissued or modified 1099R?

My return has not yet been rejected, or accepted, but based on this thread I expect it to be rejected as I had two identical 1099Rs. Same everything on them as I withdrew the same amount from two different Vanguard MFs that reside in the same Roth account within minutes of one another as part of the coronavirus relief and are coded Q.
Carl53

Post by Carl53 »

Carl53 wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:27 am To those of you that added .01 or did similar modification to your reported 1099R income, did you check the box that it is a reissued or modified 1099R?

My return has not yet been rejected, or accepted, but based on this thread I expect it to be rejected as I had two identical 1099Rs. Same everything on them as I withdrew the same amount from two different Vanguard MFs that reside in the same Roth account within minutes of one another as part of the coronavirus relief and are coded Q.
Decided that rejection was taking place at Intuit likely due to their faulty software even though I had downloaded the 1099Rs through TT. Increased one by a penny and reduced the other by the same. The federal return came back accepted twenty minutes later although I have not heard back on the state.
Goal33

Post by Goal33 »

gas_balloon wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:46 pm Op here. TT had several issues this year. I personally ran into these three:
1) 1098 from different refinances had to be manually added up, otherwise you could hit pro-rata of deductible interest (https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/loans ... 01/1897136)
2) 1099-R duplicate issues (this thread)
3) I got a warning that my employer will send a W2-c because I deferred part of my Social security (https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/retir ... light/true)
I got the first 2 as well.
RetiredCSProf

TurboTax creating duplicate 1099R

Post by RetiredCSProf »

[Merged into existing discussion -- moderator oldcomputerguy]

I prepared and filed my taxes through TT, but my return was rejected. The problem is that I had two separate transactions on a single mutual fund. TurboTax requires me to manually split the two transactions into two separate 1099R entries, even though it was all on one 1099R. IRS complains that I have duplicate 1099R entries -- separate transactions on the same TRowe mutual fund. (Note that this is a mutual fund account and not a brokerage.)

In Feb 2020, I withdrew $2K from TRowe Blue Chip Growth in a rollover IRA toward an RMD. Later, when RMDs were waived for 2020, I rolled back $2K into my TRowe rollover IRA. Then I converted $11K from TRowe Blue Chip Growth into a Roth IRA. TRowe sent me a 1099R, which shows $13K (not $13) withdrawn from TRowe Blue Chip Growth in my rollover IRA. TurboTax will not allow me to enter this as all one entry -- instead I have to split it.

I spent nearly an hour on the phone yesterday with a TurboTax advisor. She had me delete all the TRowe 1099Rs and re-enter the duplicate entries. She assured me it would fix the problem; but again, my return was rejected.

Should I submit a paper return of my taxes? Is there some other work-around?
----------------
Edited to add: TRowe advisor suggested that I simply delete the 1099R entry on my taxes for the amount that was rolled back into my rollover IRA (as a "60-day" rollover) given that it was not a taxable event. I do not yet yet have 5498 for the rollover; they said it would go out in May.
Last edited by RetiredCSProf on Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sycamore

Re: TurboTax creating duplicate 1099R

Post by sycamore »

RetiredCSProf wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:46 pm I prepared and filed my taxes through TT, but my return was rejected. The problem is that I had two separate transactions on a single mutual fund. TurboTax requires me to manually split the two transactions into two separate 1099R entries, even though it was all on one 1099R. IRS complains that I have duplicate 1099R entries -- separate transactions on the same TRowe mutual fund. (Note that this is a mutual fund account and not a brokerage.)

In Feb 2020, I withdrew $2K from TRowe Blue Chip Growth in a rollover IRA toward an RMD. Later, when RMDs were waived for 2020, I rolled back $2K into my TRowe rollover IRA. Then I converted $11K from TRowe Blue Chip Growth into a Roth IRA. TRowe sent me a 1099R, which shows $13 withdrawn from TRowe Blue Chip Growth in my rollover IRA. TurboTax will not allow me to enter this as all one entry -- instead I have to split it.

I spent nearly an hour on the phone yesterday with a TurboTax advisor. She had me delete all the TRowe 1099Rs and re-enter the duplicate entries. She assured me it would fix the problem; but again, my return was rejected.

Should I submit a paper return of my taxes? Is there some other work-around?
----------------
Edited to add: TRowe advisor suggested that I simply delete the 1099R entry on my taxes for the amount that was rolled back into my rollover IRA (as a "60-day" rollover) given that it was not a taxable event. I do not yet yet have 5498 for the rollover; they said it would go out in May.
Here’s another thread about “duplicate 1099-R” viewtopic.php?p=5914119#p5914119
It may or may not be the same situation as yours but worth a look.
The first post has an update that mentions two work arounds.
earlyout

Post by earlyout »

When you took what you thought was your RMD and then rolled it back, your roll back should have included any gain on that RMD since the date it was withdrawn. I suspect that gain was $13 which was then correctly included as part of the total distribution from the IRA on the 1099R. After you enter ALL of the information about that 1099 into TurboTax, pay very close attention to the questions asked by TurboTax about what you did with the funds from the distribution. You only converted all but $13 to a Roth so if you answer the questions correctly TurboTax should include the $13 as income.
RetiredCSProf

Post by RetiredCSProf »

early out: Thanks for noticing the typo. I withdrew $13K total, not $13. No cap gain because it is a tax-advantaged account
earlyout

Post by earlyout »

So you took two distributions, $11K and $2k. You received a 1099R for $13K total which is correct. Enter the single 1099R into TT and answer the questions indicating that 11K was converted to Roth and 2K was rolled over into an IRA. That should solve the problem. I think if you answer the questions correctly, you won't have to create an imaginary 2nd 1099R.