Notice of Data Breach

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
student

Notice of Data Breach

Post by student »

I received a letter from a regional bank that I no longer do business with. It says that Accellion, a vendor that it uses for its file sharing platform has a vulnerability that was exploited. It was determined that my social security number, first name, last name, phone number and addresses was exposed.

It says that they have secured the services of Kroll (https://enroll.idheadquarters.com/create-account) to provide identity monitoring for free for two years. I have never heard of them until now, and after searching them on the web.

I have frozen/locked by credit report. Should I still enroll in this free service? Have anyone had experience with this company? I am afraid that in two years, I will get a letter from Kroll saying their servers have been breached.
Flannelbeard

Re: Notice of Data Breach

Post by Flannelbeard »

In my opinion those identity monitoring solutions are a waste of money at best. I know you're receiving it for free, but it does nothing that the free services offered by banks and credit card companies don't do. I use Chase Credit Journey since I already have an account with them. So might as well just sign up somewhere it won't expire after 2 years, preferably somewhere you already have an account.

If you sign up for these, it's just one more company that has your data floating around waiting to be stolen when it turns out they're not protecting it as well as they should be. Good luck getting companies to delete your data in the US once you've moved on from them. I've tried. Intuit for example happily deleted my account, but there was nothing requiring them to delete the 1500 some-odd pages of my data they had on record.

I've received between 2 - 10 years of free monitoring as compensation for various data breaches and never bothered signing up. These days I protect myself by being incredibly stingy with which sites I choose to give my information to in the first place, using a free monitoring service, and using an offline password manager to avoid credential stuffing when companies do inevitably get breached.
Patzer

Post by Patzer »

I have gotten roughly a dozen data breach letters at this point, starting with Target in 2013, and haven't actually experienced any problems.

You will probably be fine if you do nothing.
I do Credit Karma, which is free, and check once a month if I have any new unexpected hard pulls or lines of credit being opened.
Alan S.

Post by Alan S. »

Kroger companies were also exposed by Accellion and are offering the same Kroll services.
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

I agree with Flannelbeard. I don’t think those monitoring services add any value beyond what I get from freezing my credit and checking my credit reports on a regular basis. And Credit Journey from Chase shows me new inquiries as well.

I wish there was a law that required companies suffering a breach to pay me for the work of monitoring my credit instead of paying (presumably) pennies for each account to those monitoring services. That would probably encourage better data protection practices.
BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy »

student wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:52 amI have frozen/locked by credit report.
This is the best you can do. Your personal info is now tucked away on the dark web somewhere. You may or may not ever hear more about it but surely if your info is used it probably won't be used for years.
"Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities" - The Dunning-Kruger Effect
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

I've been notified of a few breaches over the years but since my credit report is frozen, I generally do nothing beyond change the passwords of whatever website was breached. If you use that password on multiple sites, I would change them on all sites. Other than that, the only other thing I would do is make sure you don't wait a long time to file your taxes if expecting a refund. My parents years ago had someone file a false tax return with their stolen SSN's and I think it took nearly a year to get that straightened out and actually get the refund.
Lynette

Post by Lynette »

As others have mentioned, it probably won´t help adding your information to another player on the internet. I was informed that a company with whom I do business had a data breach. The scammers were very active in trying to extract more personal information from me, ransom demand and fraud on my credit card. My credit was frozen and I probably overreacted when I go the ransom demand. My online security was weak so I have been doing my best to improve my online security.

Good luck.
Lynette
Last edited by Lynette on Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JohnFiscal

Post by JohnFiscal »

Flannelbeard wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:12 am In my opinion those identity monitoring solutions are a waste of money at best. I know you're receiving it for free, but it does nothing that the free services offered by banks and credit card companies don't do.
I signed up for free CreditKarma awhile back as a requirement for the big (Equifax? Experian? ?) lawsuit to get some cash for a breach. Never saw any cash. But CreditKarma alerted me to a delinquency on my Equifax credit report several months ago. This was from a collections company for an account at a power company using my same name (but I'm uncertain if it was same SS number); it was either fraud or a bad database. I had never heard anything of this account until then. So I am thankful that I had the free CreditKarma to actually review the credit reports. This was resolved to my satisfaction.
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

Freeze your credit. That's your #1 priority.

Monitor your credit. Credit Karma is a good way to do so, but you'll need to sign up before you freeze your credit or else 'thaw' your credit to log-in.

You may want to change your passwords for your financial institutions.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings
Topic Author
student

Post by student »

Thank you for the responses.