Switching Jobs to Work From Home 100%

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
BradJ

Switching Jobs to Work From Home 100%

Post by BradJ »

I am seeking advice on switching jobs, specifically for a role that is 100% work from home. My family just wrapped up a 2 year traumatic event with my young son, who is now a cancer survivor (very rare cancer that required us to travel to multiple hospitals). He has some needs that are unique to him and will need to make several learning leaps to be ready for kindergarten in 2 years. My job has been working from home for a year and we will probably go back to the office soon. My company has supported me 100% through this, but I’ve never loved the job. While I know I sound ungrateful, but walking out of trauma changes you and you desire a fresh start. I have considered applying for a 100% work from home role, but am terrified of a company not supporting me or being first on the chopping block if lay offs are needed. Are these fears valid?
I’ve also considered applying for a municipality, maybe having an easier workload to focus on my family more. My goal would be to work a job I enjoy that may allow me to work from 5-1/6-2, and then spend the rest of the day helping my son with his learning. I work in utility operations and there are opportunities everywhere.
awval999

Re: Switching Jobs to Work From Home 100%

Post by awval999 »

Your fears are valid but you need to do what’s best for your family.
Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe »

BradJ wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:15 pm I am seeking advice on switching jobs, specifically for a role that is 100% work from home. My family just wrapped up a 2 year traumatic event with my young son, who is now a cancer survivor (very rare cancer that required us to travel to multiple hospitals). He has some needs that are unique to him and will need to make several learning leaps to be ready for kindergarten in 2 years. My job has been working from home for a year and we will probably go back to the office soon. My company has supported me 100% through this, but I’ve never loved the job. While I know I sound ungrateful, but walking out of trauma changes you and you desire a fresh start. I have considered applying for a 100% work from home role, but am terrified of a company not supporting me or being first on the chopping block if lay offs are needed. Are these fears valid?
I’ve also considered applying for a municipality, maybe having an easier workload to focus on my family more. My goal would be to work a job I enjoy that may allow me to work from 5-1/6-2, and then spend the rest of the day helping my son with his learning. I work in utility operations and there are opportunities everywhere.
Your concerns are valid. A bird in the hand...
Last edited by Trader Joe on Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Triple digit golfer

Post by Triple digit golfer »

I commend you for this. Way to put your family first. You're a good dad. Best of luck to you, your son, and your entire family.

You say there are opportunities everywhere in your line of work, so if you were first to get cut in the case of layoffs, could you find another job quickly?

Do you have an emergency plan to deal with a period of unemployment?

I do think your fears are valid, but there are always fears and uncertainty in a new role. I'm cautious of any new role for the simple fact that I've proven myself and am very respected in my current role and having to start over to earn that trust is somewhat scary.
Afty

Post by Afty »

I just switched to a 100% work from home role at a new company. The company is “remote-first,” i.e. >50% of the company is remote and therefore there’s little disadvantage to not being in the office. I’d suggest looking for a company like that.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

First, prayers for health and recovery.

Are you in a financial and occupational position to go into business for yourself?

Mahalo. Me ke aloha.
j🌺
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
humblecoder

Post by humblecoder »

So sorry to hear about your son's cancer. Even though it sounds like he is okay now, I'm sure that is a difficult thing to go through as a parent.

It sounds like you have three basic requirements:
1. 100% work from home
2. Early start and end time
3. A job that you "enjoy"

You are in a position of strength in that you have what sounds like a stable job, so you can afford to be picky. If opportunities are plentiful in your field as you say, then that is a good thing.

#1 and #2 are pretty easy to discern from the interview (or even pre-interview). If a position does not allow either one of these, cross them off the list.

#3 is a little more difficult. You say that you don't love your current job. You need to identify SPECIFICALLY what it is about your current job that you don't enjoy, and you need to identify what it is about a new job that you WOULD enjoy. You don't have to respond with what those things are, as long as you identify them in specific terms. Then those become knockout criteria when you are searching for a new job. If you don't identify these items, then you run the risk of ending up in a job that you enjoy even less.

As far as the risk of layoffs or not accommodating you, just be up front about what you are looking for. You don't have to tell them WHY necessarily. Just tell them that you want to work from home and you want the flexibility to start and end early. Some places might see that as an advantage. I know in my field (IT), we need people who can monitor and support at certain hours of the day, so we specifically look for people who can work odd shifts for certain jobs. It ends up being a win-win since many people want such shift for various reasons. So I would look for a job where this isn't a special accommodation for you, but where you are "doing a favor" to the company with an earlier start time. And if they don't, again, cross them off the list and move on.

One last thing to consider. I don't know how much tenure you have at your current company, but I know at many companies, vacation time is tied to years of service. If you take a new job, the clock starts over again. I know before I had kids, not having a lot of vacation time didn't bother me that much, but after they were born, I often needed more time off for going to doctor visits, attending school functions, being with them during school vacations, etc.
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

Afty wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:33 pm I just switched to a 100% work from home role at a new company. The company is “remote-first,” i.e. >50% of the company is remote and therefore there’s little disadvantage to not being in the office. I’d suggest looking for a company like that.
This sounds like really good advice.

At our company, we tolerate WFH, but it’s not our default mind set. So we are not super good at it.our WFH folks kind of suffer for it; out of sight, out of mind if that makes sense.

I know folks that have worked 100% for years and years, at companies that know how to do it well. They seem to have no issues, and are happy in their careers.

Sounds like your current employer has been a good one. Loyalty is always warranted, but it has limits. If you need to be home for your family, and it’s just too much of a struggle where you’re at, then you should look around. Hopefully you can make it all work out, but if not, don’t feel bad about moving on.
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

I'm sorry to hear about your son. That must be hard for your family.

Companies are becoming more open to people working remote. LinkedIn has added an option where you can search for jobs that are 100% remote (I'm sure other job boards have similar search options.)

Best of luck with your situation. It seems like you are moving in a good direction for you and your family by thinking about the best options.

PS - take good care of yourself. Self care is important in dealing with traumatic life events.