H&R Block 3/18 update includes unemployment adjustment

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
JCH10400

H&R Block 3/18 update includes unemployment adjustment

Post by JCH10400 »

Just downloaded the new H&R Block software update and noticed it includes the adjustment for the $10,200 of unemployment payments.
Fortitude

Re: H&R Block 3/18 update includes unemployment adjustment

Post by Fortitude »

As soon as I saw your post, I checked Turbo Tax. Although there was an update, it didn’t include the unemployment exemption. I thought for sure it would be there.
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

JCH10400 wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:46 pm Just downloaded the new H&R Block software update and noticed it includes the adjustment for the $10,200 of unemployment payments.
:sharebeer
Topic Author
JCH10400

Post by JCH10400 »

Fortitude wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:59 pm As soon as I saw your post, I checked Turbo Tax. Although there was an update, it didn’t include the unemployment exemption. I thought for sure it would be there.
I just did the update about an hour ago. What happened was I downloaded the update then my return automatically opened. The unemployment adjustment did not show up until I closed my return and the program and then reopened them. Maybe you have to do the same with Turbotax?
Fortitude

Post by Fortitude »

JCH10400 wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:04 pm
Fortitude wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:59 pm As soon as I saw your post, I checked Turbo Tax. Although there was an update, it didn’t include the unemployment exemption. I thought for sure it would be there.
I just did the update about an hour ago. What happened was I downloaded the update then my return automatically opened. The unemployment adjustment did not show up until I closed my return and the program and then reopened them. Maybe you have to do the same with Turbotax?
I tried your suggestion, but no luck. Thanks for trying.
Last edited by Fortitude on Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe »

JCH10400 wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:46 pm Just downloaded the new H&R Block software update and noticed it includes the adjustment for the $10,200 of unemployment payments.
Hopefully you are now fully employed in 2021.
fsrph

Post by fsrph »

Thanks for the tip. Did the update, reopened my return, and it calculated the tax due properly. This is my first year with H&R and I was impressed how easy it was to use.

Francis
"Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get." | Dale Carnegie
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

Keep in mind not to file yet if you are waiting on state adjustments (my state didn't release new forms yet)
GuineaPig

Post by GuineaPig »

I saw this in the update, but it didn't seem to apply the change to my IRA MAGI (by my count, I should now be in the deductible phaseout for a tIRA, but it still says I cannot deduct anything).
orthros

Post by orthros »

JCH10400 wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:04 pm
Wow, this is 100% correct.

I downloaded the update, knowing that my federal taxes wouldn't change but my state taxes would show a higher refund. Nothing changed so I figured... oh well, guess it's the April 8th update for me.

I did what you said and bam, now it's updated properly.

This needs to get a lot of exposure because I wouldn't have thought to just randomly re-open my taxes. Weird bug, H&R Block.
earlyout

Post by earlyout »

GuineaPig wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:34 pm I saw this in the update, but it didn't seem to apply the change to my IRA MAGI (by my count, I should now be in the deductible phaseout for a tIRA, but it still says I cannot deduct anything).
Very quick rollout for a modification of this type and some things may have been overlooked. Suggest you delete the unemployment income from your return, close and reopen your return and then reenter the unemployment income.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

earlyout wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:43 am Very quick rollout for a modification of this type and some things may have been overlooked.
These were pretty fast updates. I'd be inclined to wait for the April update to clean up a lot of loose ends. With the filing deadline moved, there isn't as much perceived pressure to file right now.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
GuineaPig

Post by GuineaPig »

earlyout wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:43 am
GuineaPig wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:34 pm I saw this in the update, but it didn't seem to apply the change to my IRA MAGI (by my count, I should now be in the deductible phaseout for a tIRA, but it still says I cannot deduct anything).
Very quick rollout for a modification of this type and some things may have been overlooked. Suggest you delete the unemployment income from your return, close and reopen your return and then reenter the unemployment income.
I think I'll just wait for the moment -- when I print it out, it is clear that on the traditional IRA deduction worksheet, they are not including the -$10,200 in their accounting for total income. As others have said, this was all done very quickly.
Snuffycuts99

Post by Snuffycuts99 »

I've been waiting for TurboTax to update their software. I just logged in now to check but after re-entering my unemployment income I see no change in the tax due. I know they were hoping to have it completed by Thursday evening but I'm assuming they're still working on it.