[Third stimulus payment - mega-thread]

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Nate7out

Re: [Third stimulus payment - mega-thread]

Post by Nate7out »

Nate7out wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:09 am
asset_chaos wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:18 am Get my payment tool changed today for me from eligible but payment date not determined to check will be mailed 2 April. As my banking information hasn't changed, unclear why the first two were direct deposit and this one is check. But, as I still remember how to deposit a check, I expect it'll be alright. I'll look on the bright side and say it gives me more time to decide what to do with the money.
Same, got first two stimulus payments direct deposited. I check status a few weeks ago and the IRS payment tool said it was going to DD to my checking account and showed a portion of my account number. Checked this morning and it said check to be mailed 4/2. I think it will be OK, but I not optimistic about the efficiency of the US mail.
I stand corrected. Mailed 4/2, received 4/6.

ETA: 2020 taxes were filed March 6 with lower AGI, they factored this into the latest. Hooray for tax deferral at 80%+ marginal rates in the phaseout range.
ponyboy

Post by ponyboy »

Mine still says payment status - not available. Guess ill be claiming this next year during taxes.
mkc

Post by mkc »

mkc wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:20 am
Raspberry wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:12 pm EIP1 - Received payment via DD.
EIP2 - Received a check in the mail.
EIP3 - Haven't received yet, though it was scheduled to have gone out by mail eight days ago.

Anybody else in a similar position?
We scheduled your payment to be mailed on March 26, 2021 to the address we have on file for you.
Yup - first and second received quickly via mail. Third was supposed to be mailed 3/26 and haven't seen it yet.
Finally received, and it was mailed 3/26.
MrMoxham

Post by MrMoxham »

My experience, FWIW.

DW and I received 1st stimulus payment (2x$1200) on 4/15/2020 via DD to the checking account we've always used for e-filing.

Because of 2019 AGI, neither of us was eligible for the "automatic" 2nd payment (2x$600).

E-filed 2020 tax return on 3/20/2021 using H&R Block PC application (2020 AGI had returned to "normal"). The app determined that we had not received the 2nd payment and added it to our refund. Refund, including 2x$600 stimulus payment, was DD to checking account on 3/29/2021.

As if by magic, 3rd stimulus (2x$1400) appeared in checking account 4/7/2021. No action on my part.
PaunchyPirate

Post by PaunchyPirate »

I made too much money in 2019 for the IRS to determine that I qualified for stimulus payments in 2020. However, my 2020 income was well below the threshold and I received $1800 in stimulus credits on my 2020 taxes when I filed them in March. The tax refund hit my direct deposit account on April 7th. Today, April 10th, I checked the "Where is my payment" option to see if by chance having filed/processed a 2020 return might trigger the stimulus #3 payment. Sure enough, I now see a stimulus payment is set to be deposited to my account on April 14th. Nice! That will catch me up on all the stimulus payments to date. I'm glad I won't have to deal with this at tax time next year.
Vulcan

Post by Vulcan »

ponyboy wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:46 am Guess ill be claiming this next year during taxes.
I grew tired of seeing the "You are eligible for the payment. Once we have your payment date, we will update this page." message and have reduced my tax withholding by submitting a new W-4 so I can recoup the approximate amount of stimulus funds that way through the remainder of the year and deal with the arithmetic during 2021 tax time.

Six of one, half a dozen of the other.
If you torture the data long enough, it will confess to anything. ~Ronald Coase
techiegirl

Post by techiegirl »

I qualify in 2019 tax return it not 2020, but I’m tired of seeing “status unknown.” I’m going to give up and file my 2020 return.
brainstorming

Post by brainstorming »

I received my stimulus check in the mail yesterday. IRS website said it would be mailed on 4/2/21. So it took 13 days via USPS. I have no clue why they sent a check this time?? I have always used the same bank account and received DD in the past. The only difference was I owed the IRS instead of a refund.
BarbBrooklyn

Post by BarbBrooklyn »

I filed on Feb 17th. Still no refund or stimulus.

State refund (NYS) was in my account two weeks after we filed.
BarbBrooklyn | "The enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."
Newlife

Post by Newlife »

I have not received my 3rd stimulus payment. The portal still says "Payment Status - Not Available." I received the first one through direct deposit and the second one a card. I do not change my bank accounts, nor do I move.
techiegirl

Post by techiegirl »

Newlife wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:38 am I have not received my 3rd stimulus payment. The portal still says "Payment Status - Not Available." I received the first one through direct deposit and the second one a card. I do not change my bank accounts, nor do I move.
Same here.
BarbBrooklyn

Post by BarbBrooklyn »

BarbBrooklyn wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:04 am I filed on Feb 17th. Still no refund or stimulus.

Fed refund is scheduled for May 5th!
TnHoo71

Post by TnHoo71 »

spectec wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:36 am The timing of the payment calculations is becoming slightly more clear. We have already passed "Checkpoint 1", so stimulus payments have been going out based on either the 2018, 2019, or 2020 returns (whichever was in the system on March 12). The official date for the first of those ACH transfers was March 17, but some banks and credit unions made the money available to customers earlier.

The next big date is "Checkpoint 2" (a/k/a the "Additional Payment Determination Date) which is defined as the EARLIER of Sept 1, 2021 or 90 days after the filing due date. I was in a seminar which stated Checkpoint 2 was July 15, 202, but that seminar was before the IRS announced extension of the filing due date to May 15, 2021. So now Checkpoint 2 is August 15, 2021. It's important for anyone who was not eligible for stimulus money (or only partially eligible) based on prior years' income, but who may be eligible based on 2020 income, to not allow Checkpoint 2 to pass them by. The revere might also be true, but I haven't worked through that yet.

Interesting thoughts I ran across concerning the May 15 date (which many thought should/would be June 15) and their last-minute announcement of the May 15 date. Since the extended date also extends the date for payment, IRS may have been facing a dilemma. Corporate tax returns are due Mar 15, and IRS didn't want to extend the date for corporate tax filings & associated payments. So presumably they may have delayed the announcement until after Mar 15 in order to solve that corp return problem, and also didn't want to go to June 15 because that would have created a conflict with the Sep 1 limitation on Checkpoint 2 for personal returns.

(Some of the above is from Michael Kitces, some from webinars I've attended, and some from my own conclusions. Some, or even all, of it may be wrong. Take it for what it's worth, bearing in mind these are musings posted on the internet by someone you don't know.)
I need to use 2020 AGI since 2019 and 2021 AGI will be over the threshold. I have two limited partnerships for which I will not receive a 2020 K-1 until early September 2021, past the Additional Payment Determination Date (APDD), but I have estimates for those K-1s. Should I file before the APDD of 8/15 using the K-1 estimates and then file a 1040X after the APDD when the official K-1s are received? If the 1040X puts my 2020 AGI over the threshold, will any of the stimulus payment be clawed back? I assume it would be; otherwise, anyone could file now and then amend post-APDD. Thanks.
BarbBrooklyn

Post by BarbBrooklyn »

BarbBrooklyn wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 10:34 am
BarbBrooklyn wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:04 am I filed on Feb 17th. Still no refund or stimulus.

Fed refund is scheduled for May 5th!
...and stimulus is sceduled for May 12th!
ponyboy

Post by ponyboy »

Still nothing on our end. I may be the only one who hasnt received a stimulus that should have received one.
techiegirl

Post by techiegirl »

ponyboy wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 6:28 am Still nothing on our end. I may be the only one who hasnt received a stimulus that should have received one.
Nothing for me either. Unfortunately I don’t qualify on 2020 return or 2021, so I’m out of luck. I did qualify based on 2019 return.
asset_chaos

Post by asset_chaos »

Check scheduled to be mailed 2 April, arrived today. Just under 6 weeks, not bad.
Regards, | | Guy
techiegirl

Post by techiegirl »

I finally received my 3rd stimulus payment, scheduled for direct deposit tomorrow. The strange thing is, it is scheduled for direct deposit to a different bank account from stimulus #1 (stimulus 2 was a check). I only gave IRS the new bank account in my 2020 tax return, which was e-filed in April, but my IRS account still says it has not been received. If IRS hasn’t received my 2020 tax return, how would they know to send my stimulus #3 to this new bank account?
capran

Post by capran »

We have never given the IRS our bank info and this last round of stimulus, while only $203. for the two of us total, was direct deposited to our bank. Thinking they cross referenced with SS?
techiegirl

Post by techiegirl »

capran wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:56 pm We have never given the IRS our bank info and this last round of stimulus, while only $203. for the two of us total, was direct deposited to our bank. Thinking they cross referenced with SS?
I know they cross reference SS because my kids (who had survivors benefits in 2019/2020) received their on stimulus $$ direct deposit. I don’t receive SS yet.
capran

Post by capran »

techiegirl wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:58 pm
capran wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:56 pm We have never given the IRS our bank info and this last round of stimulus, while only $203. for the two of us total, was direct deposited to our bank. Thinking they cross referenced with SS?
I know they cross reference SS because my kids (who had survivors benefits in 2019/2020) received their on stimulus $$ direct deposit. I don’t receive SS yet.
I found it interesting. We were eligible for the first stimulus, which we got by check in the mail. the second one came via a debit card, and the third direct to bank. Been on SS all throughout entire time of stimulus, so thought it interesting how each arrived differently. Won't be receiving anything else even if they pass it as our 2020 income was over the Manchin limits.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

Yea! I received the 1400$ stimulus check from the IRS after filing taxes on May 15. Comes at the right time since I will be useful for moving expenses in June.
ponyboy

Post by ponyboy »

Still haven't received our third stimulus. What a disaster.
capran

Post by capran »

ponyboy wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:23 am Still haven't received our third stimulus. What a disaster.
Weird. Our 2019 income was just under the cut off, which is why we filed 2020 taxes late. We did get $204 total for the both of us, direct deposited to bank. Are you sure you were not over the income limit? Remember, because of Joe Manchin, they substantially lowered the threshold, so 150,000 (75k if single) gets you the full 1400 per person, and if you are 160,000 (80k if single) you get Zero dollars.
ponyboy

Post by ponyboy »

capran wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:46 am
ponyboy wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:23 am Still haven't received our third stimulus. What a disaster.
Weird. Our 2019 income was just under the cut off, which is why we filed 2020 taxes late. We did get $204 total for the both of us, direct deposited to bank. Are you sure you were not over the income limit? Remember, because of Joe Manchin, they substantially lowered the threshold, so 150,000 (75k if single) gets you the full 1400 per person, and if you are 160,000 (80k if single) you get Zero dollars.
I assume your AGI has to be under $150k? Our agi was around $138k. If it doesn't go off of AGI, then we would be over the $160k.
capran

Post by capran »

ponyboy wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:06 pm
capran wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:46 am
I assume your AGI has to be under $150k? Our agi was around $138k. If it doesn't go off of AGI, then we would be over the $160k.
I think it was just a little under 160, which is why we got 204 instead of zero, but I'd have to check the lock box. Had it been 150k we would have received the full 2800.
ponyboy

Post by ponyboy »

Well that's interesting. We received our child tax credit yet we still haven't received our third stimulus check. Granted, our child tax credit was reduced.
oslocal

Post by oslocal »

Curious if the deadline for processing these payments have passed or not.

Filed our tax return in early may and it was accepted on May 3rd.
AGI below 100k.

It was finally processed a few days ago, and refund issued today. This year we will have AGI will be above 200k.

In that case we will lose out on $4200 because the IRS didn't timely process the tax return :oops:
pshonore

Post by pshonore »

oslocal wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:56 pm Curious if the deadline for processing these payments have passed or not.

AGI below 100k.

It was finally processed a few days ago, and refund issued today. This year we will have AGI will be above 200k.

In that case we will lose out on $4200 because the IRS didn't timely process the tax return :oops:
If you were due a first or second stimulus payment and you filled out the proper tax form, it should have been part of your 2020 return and increased your refund. I don't think the third payments are being added to returns.
PaunchyPirate

Post by PaunchyPirate »

pshonore wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 5:04 pm
oslocal wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:56 pm Curious if the deadline for processing these payments have passed or not.

AGI below 100k.

If you were due a first or second stimulus payment and you filled out the proper tax form, it should have been part of your 2020 return and increased your refund. I don't think the third payments are being added to returns.
This is correct. The third payment wasn’t to be paid as part of 2020 tax refunds. However, if your 2020 return indicated you qualify for the 3rd payment, the IRS was following up with that payment after your return was processed. In my case, I was given $1800 as a credit on the 2020 return. This was for stimulus payments 1 and 2. One week after my tax refund was deposited in July by the IRS they followed up with a $1400 deposit of the 3rd stimulus. So I’m all caught up. I believe the IRS was going to do these true ups into August. Perhaps they will do more of them. Since the payment was to be based on 2020 income, I would hope that if someone didn’t get payment 3 but qualified based on their 2020 return, that it will be credited on the 2021 return. My mother’s 2020 return has just now been processed. We’ve been notified of the amount but haven’t got the money yet. She will still be owed the final $1400 third payment.
oslocal

Post by oslocal »

They are still doing true ups for 2020 processed returns as of this week.
I received the first two payments as part of the tax return (Recovery Rebate Credit), and the third one about two weeks after the return was processed. It posted yesterday.
Nyc10036

Post by Nyc10036 »

Received the third stimulus payment today by check.
Yay.
I filed a paper tax return in early April.

londongirl26

Post by londongirl26 »

My IRS Get My Payment on 12/2 said my payment was sent to my bank on 12/1, but the bank information was wrong. So I just assumed that I would get a check. When I went back on 12/9 to check it says I am eligible but no payment date has been assigned and when it is assigned it will deposit to the wrong bank account.

My IRS account said $1,400 on 12/2, but now it says $0. This is all so confusing. I have no idea if I am even getting one anymore. Does anyone know what I should expect?
Eagle33

Post by Eagle33 »

londongirl26 wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 8:35 pm My IRS Get My Payment on 12/2 said my payment was sent to my bank on 12/1, but the bank information was wrong. So I just assumed that I would get a check. When I went back on 12/9 to check it says I am eligible but no payment date has been assigned and when it is assigned it will deposit to the wrong bank account.

My IRS account said $1,400 on 12/2, but now it says $0. This is all so confusing. I have no idea if I am even getting one anymore. Does anyone know what I should expect?
Sines you have not received the 3rd stimulus check, then on your 2021 tax return claim zero received and you will get the full $1400 rebate credit. This is assuming you are below the income threshold.
capran

Post by capran »

Eagle33 wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 3:49 pm
londongirl26 wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 8:35 pm My IRS Get My Payment on 12/2 said my payment was sent to my bank on 12/1, but the bank information was wrong. So I just assumed that I would get a check. When I went back on 12/9 to check it says I am eligible but no payment date has been assigned and when it is assigned it will deposit to the wrong bank account.

Sines you have not received the 3rd stimulus check, then on your 2021 tax return claim zero received and you will get the full $1400 rebate credit. This is assuming you are below the income threshold.
I sure hope I am understanding all this correctly. The latest $1,400 per person is called "The Recovery Rebate Credit" according to the 1040SR line 30 (and the accompanying worksheet) for 2021 tax filing. Our AGI for 2020 was 166k which meant we didn't qualify for any third payment. But my understanding is if THIS years (2021 tax year) AGI is below 150k, we would qualify for the full $1,400 per person, so 2800 for a MFJ (according to the instructions for 1040DR and the accompanying Recovery Rebate Credit Worksheet. I would be doing a significantly larger tIRA/Roth conversion if there was no advantage to keeping income below 150 for this years taxes.

In February 2021 we received a debit card for "EIP2" for $730+. I believe that was based on our 2018 income. In March 2021 we got a $203. stimulus deposit that was based on our income of 159k in 2019, and we delayed filing 2020 taxes since they had a filing extension due to COVID and we knew our 2020 income was over the limit. It's all starting to run together. Am I making myself crazy trying to connect the dots? I thought this last round of stimulus payments was for incomes below 150k, that Senator Manchin had insisted the limit for full 1,400 recovery credit be 150k with limited credit for incomes over 150 but the credit ended at 160k income level.
capran

Post by capran »

After significant searching for info, I believe we received a direct bank ACH for the 3rd EIP in March for a little over 200, because our 2019 income was 159k+ for 2019. Interestingly enough, I just went through that laborious process to view our IRS account. It showed we did make a tax payment with our 2020 return, and that payment was cashed and in the IRS site, but it also says "your 2020 return has not been processed". Wow. Just, wow.

Just hoping I understand correctly that if I keep my income for 2021 below 150k, we should be able to claim the balance f the 2800 for MFJ minus the ACH for EIP3 we received in March. Of course, it may be 2024 before they even get to that, if not beyond. Strange world we are living in.
sycamore

Post by sycamore »

capran wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 8:17 pm After significant searching for info, I believe we received a direct bank ACH for the 3rd EIP in March for a little over 200, because our 2019 income was 159k+ for 2019. Interestingly enough, I just went through that laborious process to view our IRS account. It showed we did make a tax payment with our 2020 return, and that payment was cashed and in the IRS site, but it also says "your 2020 return has not been processed". Wow. Just, wow.

Just hoping I understand correctly that if I keep my income for 2021 below 150k, we should be able to claim the balance f the 2800 for MFJ minus the ACH for EIP3 we received in March. Of course, it may be 2024 before they even get to that, if not beyond. Strange world we are living in.
Just to clarify, the limit for the full payment is for Adjusted Gross Income up to $150,000 with a phaseout occurring up to $160,000.
https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/third-e ... ct-payment
Eligibility
Most eligible people didn't need to take additional action to get a third payment.

Generally, someone was eligible for the full amount of the third Economic Impact Payment if they:
- are a U.S. citizen or U.S. resident alien (and their spouse if filing a joint return), and
- are not a dependent of another taxpayer, and
- had adjusted gross income (AGI) that is not more than:
  • $150,000 if married and filing a joint return or if filing as a qualifying widow or widower
  • $112,500 if filing as head of household or
  • $75,000 for any other filing status
Payments were phased out – or reduced – above those AGI amounts. This means people will not receive a payment if their AGI is at least:
- $160,000 if married and filing a joint return or if filing as a qualifying widow or widower
- $120,000 if filing as head of household
- $80,000 for any other filing status
Electronic filing for TY 2021 seems to be your best bet to get the proper payment as soon as possible. Hope you'll get it quickly.
capran

Post by capran »

sycamore wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 8:13 am
capran wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 8:17 pm After significant searching for info, I believe we received a direct bank ACH for the 3rd EIP in March for a little over 200, because our 2019 income was 159k+ for 2019. Interestingly enough, I just went through that laborious process to view our IRS account. It showed we did make a tax payment with our 2020 return, and that payment was cashed and in the IRS site, but it also says "your 2020 return has not been processed". Wow. Just, wow.

Just to clarify, the limit for the full payment is for Adjusted Gross Income up to $150,000 with a phaseout occurring up to $160,000.
https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/third-e ... ct-payment
Eligibility
Most eligible people didn't need to take additional action to get a third payment.

Generally, someone was eligible for the full amount of the third Economic Impact Payment if they:
- are a U.S. citizen or U.S. resident alien (and their spouse if filing a joint return), and
- are not a dependent of another taxpayer, and
- had adjusted gross income (AGI) that is not more than:
  • $150,000 if married and filing a joint return or if filing as a qualifying widow or widower
  • $112,500 if filing as head of household or
  • $75,000 for any other filing status
Payments were phased out – or reduced – above those AGI amounts. This means people will not receive a payment if their AGI is at least:
- $160,000 if married and filing a joint return or if filing as a qualifying widow or widower
- $120,000 if filing as head of household
- $80,000 for any other filing status
Electronic filing for TY 2021 seems to be your best bet to get the proper payment as soon as possible. Hope you'll get it quickly.
Yes, I think the $200 stimulus amount I received in March was based on our 2019 AGI income of $159k, and as the IRS site suggests (in theory) that if our income for 2021 is below the 150k, we should be able to get the balance of EIP3 via the credit on line 30 when filing our 2021 taxes. I also agree I would be better served by filing electronically. But I am worried about doing something wrong. I know I have OID to deal with, which I do correctly on paper using the statement process to clarify: for example

IN-STATE PRIVATE TOTAL
MUNICIPAL ACTIVITY MUNICIPAL
PAYER BONDS BONDS BONDS
TAX EXEMPT OID VANGUARD 1099 OID line 11 minus line 6 $8.78
VANGUARD 1099 INT line 8 $1,493.76
VANGUARD 1099 INT BOND PREMIUM line 13 $(186.23)
VANGUARD 1099 DIV tax exempt dividends line 11 180.14 $2,178.48
TOTAL 180.14 $3,494.79

But I know the free fillable IRS electronic process does not allow anything outside of the normal forms and schedules. And I think a "see statement #1" would not be includable. Several years ago a friend with turbo tax tried to walk me through the software and i got lost, and not sure this year would reveal any increase in technology abilities on my part. I'm between a rock and a hard place, it seems. Poor tech skills to do most things electronically and needing electronics to get my return processed in a timely fashion due to built in IRS processing inefficiencies.