[Third stimulus payment - mega-thread]

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
tj

Re: Have All 3rd Stimulus Direct Deposits Been Made?

Post by tj »

Seasonal wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:44 pm
tj wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:19 pm I filed on like 3/11 or 3/12.
My 2020 tax refund came on 3/17
EIP3 is pending for 3/24.

I'm guessing if you e-filed close to the first deposit date, you are getting it next week.
You're the first person I've seen with a definite date that's not 3/17.
It wasn't showing when I first woke up, but it was showing shortly before I made that comment.
slowandsteadywins

Post by slowandsteadywins »

IRS tool for me says: “ You are eligible for the payment. Once we have your payment date, we will update this page.”
"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence; Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent." | -Calvin Coolidge
tj

Post by tj »

slowandsteadywins wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:23 pm IRS tool for me says: “ You are eligible for the payment. Once we have your payment date, we will update this page.”

The tool actually still says the same thing for me, but the deposit is showing pending for 3/24.
palanzo

Post by palanzo »

MrJedi wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:12 am There will be a second wave later this year for those who filed 2020 tax returns timely and qualify based on 2020. Then again there will a rebate claim available on 2021 tax return if you qualify based on 2021.
This is not the case. I have first hand knowledge of people who filed their 2020 returns, qualified based on 2020 AGI, and not 2019 AGI, and have received a direct deposit last week. The IRS is sending out direct deposits every week and the payments are available on Wednesday.

What is your source for the above information?
aristotelian

Post by aristotelian »

I have not received mine. IRS website confirms that I qualify. My bank says payments expected "as early as 3/17" and they will notify when it is being processed.
MrJedi

Post by MrJedi »

palanzo wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:35 pm
MrJedi wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:12 am There will be a second wave later this year for those who filed 2020 tax returns timely and qualify based on 2020. Then again there will a rebate claim available on 2021 tax return if you qualify based on 2021.
This is not the case. I have first hand knowledge of people who filed their 2020 returns, qualified based on 2020 AGI, and not 2019 AGI, and have received a direct deposit last week. The IRS is sending out direct deposits every week and the payments are available on Wednesday.

Yes, that would be for people who filed 2020 early. I am referring to those who miss this first wave of third stimulus and file 2020 later.

American Rescue Plan Act of 2021

https://www.congress.gov/bill/117th-con ... /1319/text
“(B) ADDITIONAL PAYMENT.—

“(i) IN GENERAL.—In the case of any individual who files, before the additional payment determination date, a return of tax for such individual’s first taxable year beginning in 2020, the Secretary shall make a payment (in addition to any payment made under paragraph (1)) to such individual equal to the excess (if any) of—

“(I) the amount which would be determined under paragraph (1) (after the application of subparagraph (A)) by applying paragraph (1) as of the additional payment determination date, over

“(II) the amount of any payment made with respect to such individual under paragraph (1).

“(ii) ADDITIONAL PAYMENT DETERMINATION DATE.—The term ‘additional payment determination date’ means the earlier of—

“(I) the date which is 90 days after the 2020 calendar year filing deadline, or

“(II) September 1, 2021.
arcticpineapplecorp.

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. »

spectec wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:39 am I heard in a seminar yesterday that IRS plans another large run sometime around July 15, but that isn't confirmed.
some seminars aren't worth what they charge. Why would you listen to someone at a seminar, especially if it wasn't someone from the IRS itself. If you go to the IRS's own web page you see:
When We’ll Send Your 2021 Payment

The first batch of payments will be sent by direct deposit, which some recipients started receiving as early as March 12.

Additional batches of payments will be sent in the coming weeks by direct deposit and through the mail as a check or debit card.

source: https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/get-my-payment
I do taxes through VITA and filed in this order friend's and family returns (and all are eligible for 3rd payment):

1. my girlfriend's father's return (in mid Feb)
2. my girlfriend's return (in mid Feb)
3. my own return (late Feb)

this is the order of those above in terms of stimulus received (or not received):

1. my own stimulus (received 3/12/2021)
2. my girlfriend's father's stimulus (received 3/17/2021)
3. my girfriend's stimulus (didn't receive yet).

see any pattern?

I don't.
It's hard to accept the truth when the lies were exactly what you wanted to hear. Investing is simple, but not easy. Buy, hold & rebalance low cost index funds & manage taxable events. Asking Portfolio Questions | Wiki
roth evangelist

Post by roth evangelist »

Only the first wave of payments went out. More are coming within the next few weeks.
jhfenton

Re: status of $1400 check Get My Payment

Post by jhfenton »

We're in the same boat. We got the first payment very quickly via DD. For some reason they sent the second payment via check, but we got it. I filed our taxes recently and scheduled our three-figure payment for April 15. Ours also shows "Payment status not available." on the IRS tool.

It sounds like it may be an issue for folks who have already filed their 2020 returns.
pshonore

Post by pshonore »

Kenkat wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:33 pm
feehater wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:30 pm
zkzkzk wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:22 pm We are eligible. First round came DD for both of us. Second round DW got a paper check, I received nothing and will claim as rebate on 2020TR as we have not filed yet. Neither of us have received the third. Get my payment indicates “Payment status not available, “need more information”. We always owe, we never get a refund.
It’s a good thing that we don’t need this cash. I feel bad for those that do if they are experiencing the same thing we are.
Isn't the 3rd round check not rebatable until the 2021 tax return?
Correct
Why make folks wait for 12 months if its supposed to stimulate the economy? Supposedly the IRS will be doing a "true-up" sometime after the filing deadline using 2020 returns. Kitces article has the details.
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

jhfenton wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:18 pm We're in the same boat. We got the first payment very quickly via DD. For some reason they sent the second payment via check, but we got it. I filed our taxes recently and scheduled our three-figure payment for April 15. Ours also shows "Payment status not available." on the IRS tool.

It sounds like it may be an issue for folks who have already filed their 2020 returns.
Identical scenario as us--except we have not filed 2020 returns. And we get the same online message.
Snuffycuts99

Post by Snuffycuts99 »

jhfenton wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:18 pm We're in the same boat. We got the first payment very quickly via DD. For some reason they sent the second payment via check, but we got it. I filed our taxes recently and scheduled our three-figure payment for April 15. Ours also shows "Payment status not available." on the IRS tool.

It may be an issue for folks have already filed their 2020 returns but it's also an issue for others. We qualified for and received both the first and second payments. Like yourself, we received the first via DD but the second came via check. We have yet to file our 2020 tax return. But we are also receiving the Payment Status not Available message on the IRS tool. Myself, I'm wondering if it's more related to the fact that we received the last stimulus payment via check. I'm assuming this payment may also be sent via check, and that the IRS hasn't yet started processing check payments or updating the Get My Payment tool for such recipients.
palanzo

Post by palanzo »

MrJedi wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:48 pm

Yes, that would be for people who filed 2020 early. I am referring to those who miss this first wave of third stimulus and file 2020 later.

“(i) IN GENERAL.—In the case of any individual who files, before the additional payment determination date, a return of tax for such individual’s first taxable year beginning in 2020, the Secretary shall make a payment (in addition to any payment made under paragraph (1)) to such individual equal to the excess (if any) of—

“(I) the amount which would be determined under paragraph (1) (after the application of subparagraph (A)) by applying paragraph (1) as of the additional payment determination date, over

“(II) the amount of any payment made with respect to such individual under paragraph (1).

“(ii) ADDITIONAL PAYMENT DETERMINATION DATE.—The term ‘additional payment determination date’ means the earlier of—

“(II) September 1, 2021.
Got it. However there are not just two waves. The IRS is sending out direct deposits every week and will be doing so for quite a while. The IRS will also be sending out checks and debit cards over this same period.

All the information is available at the IRS.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-treasu ... escue-plan
jhfenton

Post by jhfenton »

Snuffycuts99 wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:40 pm

It may be an issue for folks have already filed their 2020 returns but it's also an issue for others. We qualified for and received both the first and second payments. Like yourself, we received the first via DD but the second came via check. We have yet to file our 2020 tax return. But we are also receiving the Payment Status not Available message on the IRS tool. Myself, I'm wondering if it's more related to the fact that we received the last stimulus payment via check. I'm assuming this payment may also be sent via check, and that the IRS hasn't yet started processing check payments or updating the Get My Payment tool for such recipients.
Could be. I wasn't sure why they switched to a check on the second payment. The only thing that changed in between was our switching from paying them from our bank account for our 2019 taxes, whereas we received a refund to that account for our 2018 taxes.
MrJedi

Post by MrJedi »

palanzo wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:41 pm

“(II) September 1, 2021.
Got it. However there are not just two waves. The IRS is sending out direct deposits every week and will be doing so for quite a while. The IRS will also be sending out checks and debit cards over this same period.

Agreed for the most part. I haven't seen an IRS source for this additional qualification period for a later 2020 tax return, though it is explicitly mentioned in the law as I quoted. Just wanted to be sure people were aware of it, it seems a bit lesser known.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: [Third stimulus payment - mega-thread]

Post by LadyGeek »

I merged Leesbro63's and egrets' threads into the ongoing discussion. Due to various questions related to the stimulus payment (with similar answers), I have retitled the thread.

Let's use this thread for all 3rd stimulus payment related questions.

(Thanks to the member who reported the post.)
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

LadyGeek wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:04 pm I merged Leesbro63's and egrets' threads into the ongoing discussion. Due to various questions related to the stimulus payment (with similar answers), I have retitled the thread.

Let's use this thread for all 3rd stimulus payment related questions.

(Thanks to the member who reported the post.)
Excellent. Thank you!
palanzo

Post by palanzo »

MrJedi wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:52 pm

“(II) September 1, 2021.

Agreed for the most part. I haven't seen an IRS source for this additional qualification period for a later 2020 tax return, though it is explicitly mentioned in the law as I quoted. Just wanted to be sure people were aware of it, it seems a bit lesser known.
Okay. I am not sure what you are disagreeing with. My comments are reflected in the IRS news releases which I found after I posted.
MrJedi

Post by MrJedi »

palanzo wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:26 pm

“(II) September 1, 2021.

Okay. I am not sure what you are disagreeing with. My comments are reflected in the IRS news releases which I found after I posted.
The additional payment period determination date is not mentioned on the IRS website or sources that I've seen. So not all information related to third stimulus qualification and timing is available at the IRS at this time.
palanzo

Post by palanzo »

MrJedi wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:48 pm
palanzo wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:26 pm

The additional payment period determination date is not mentioned on the IRS website or sources that I've seen. So not all information related to third stimulus qualification and timing is available at the IRS at this time.
That's true. I am sure the IRS is working out how to do all this. I think they are doing an excellent job.
egrets

Post by egrets »

egrets wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:31 am [Thread merged into here --admin LadyGeek]

The Get My Payment IRS webtool says:
"Payment Status Not Available - we don't have enough information yet (we're working on this) or you're not eligible for a payment."

I think I'm eligible, as my total income and AGI for the most recent (tax year 2019) return is about $70,700 and I got the $600 check. It's frustrating that they must know the difference between these two states and yet leave one in limbo.

Anyone else in this situation?
Great, now any answers to my question will be lost in a sea of other posts.
CoAndy

Post by CoAndy »

egrets wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:31 am [Thread merged into here --admin LadyGeek]

The Get My Payment IRS webtool says:
"Payment Status Not Available - we don't have enough information yet (we're working on this) or you're not eligible for a payment."

I think I'm eligible, as my total income and AGI for the most recent (tax year 2019) return is about $70,700 and I got the $600 check. It's frustrating that they must know the difference between these two states and yet leave one in limbo.

Anyone else in this situation?
I am seeing the same thing when I log onto the site. We qualified for both previous based on 2019 taxes so should qualify this time around. Let the wait begin....or continue :sharebeer :sharebeer
z3r0c00l

Post by z3r0c00l »

jackbeagle wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:34 pm
bertilak wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:38 am
Are you saying filing my 2020 taxes has delayed my stimulus payment?

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/get-my-payment tells me this:
Payment Status
You are eligible for the payment. Once we have your payment date, we will update this page.

We will deposit your payment to the bank account below.

Bank Account Number: xxxx [they have the correct account]

Updates to your payment are made no more than once a day. We will mail you a letter with additional information on this payment.
How can they not know the payment date?
SAME HERE. This is their verbiage and it offers no further explanation.
Filed early to get a bigger stimulus check, no communication or information on the webpage, and no payment. My hope is they are waiting to process my early 2020 return before paying me. Got the last two easily by direct deposit.
70% Global Stocks / 30% Bonds
CoAndy

Post by CoAndy »

Same here. DD for the first, check for the second. Still in limbo for the third. A little strange but it's al good in the hood.
mikeyzito22

Post by mikeyzito22 »

Kruser64 wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:36 am Eligible for all 3 based on 2018, 2019, 2020 tax years take your pick. Got 1 and 2 almost immediately via direct deposit. #3 not here yet and IRS tool still says "Status Unknown". Did file 2020 taxes in late Feb, and have received the refund via direct deposit.

No changes in direct deposit location, filing status, address, or...anything.

Strange, and somewhat frustrating.
Same here. I oddly received my refund the day the press said that stimulus checks were going out. Therefore, they have my numbers!
wander

Post by wander »

Just curious: if you are over qualified to receive the stimulus check by filing married joint; but if one of you will be qualified if filing as married separate and save a few hundred dollars, will you file separate?
Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue »

wander wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:11 pm Just curious: if you are over qualified to receive the stimulus check by filing married joint; but if one of you will be qualified if filing as married separate and save a few hundred dollars, will you file separate?
Hard to imagine the tax math actually working out on that.

Cheers
wander

Post by wander »

Silk McCue wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:16 pm
wander wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:11 pm Just curious: if you are over qualified to receive the stimulus check by filing married joint; but if one of you will be qualified if filing as married separate and save a few hundred dollars, will you file separate?

Cheers
For example, if filing income jointly, you will pay zero tax but since the income limit is just above the threshold, the $1,400 check is not coming. If file separately, you will pay $200 more in tax, but one of you will receive $1,400 so the return is $1,200. Now, you have to deal with 1099 forms, ... which is a little more complicated. :D
Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue »

wander wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:28 pm

Cheers
For example, if filing income jointly, you will pay zero tax but since the income limit is just above the threshold, the $1,400 check is not coming. If file separately, you will pay $200 more in tax, but one of you will receive $1,400 so the return is $1,200. Now, you have to deal with 1099 forms, ... which is a little more complicated. :D
If that’s the way it actually plays out and there is no other downside then yes I would.

Cheers
jackbeagle

Re: Received 3rd stimulus check 3/12/21

Post by jackbeagle »

AerialWombat wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:06 am
Canoesmith wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:08 pm As we all stop reading threads to log on to our accounts to look.....
Seems to me like most Bogleheads earn too much to qualify, so I doubt there was a login stampede. :greedy
On the flipside, those Bogleheads should know how to get their AGI down enough to qualify. Not for the sake of qualifying, but for the sake of minimizing their tax exposure, if nothing else.
jackbeagle

Post by jackbeagle »

Cheers
Right. You'd have to had been sleeping on tens of thousands of dollars in below-the-line deductions, realized your mistake, then filed a 1040X. And even then, it would be too late by the time you found out, and you'd be claiming it next year as a credit on your TY2021 taxes.
slowandsteadywins

Post by slowandsteadywins »

As of today, I can now see a pending deposit for the stimulus on 3/24/2021.
"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence; Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent." | -Calvin Coolidge
shapeshifter

Post by shapeshifter »

I have what I believe to be a unique twist on this.

- Received EIP 1 and 2 fast and via direct deposit
- still fully qualify for EIP3 based on all tax years
- I filed 2020 taxes on 3/10 and the tax refund ACH'd to my Navy Federal account 3/17

What I find most interesting... Prior to the 17th, Navy Fed. indicated both EIP3 and Refund ACH's pending for 3/17. Received refund on 17th. The notification for EIP3 disappeared and has not shown up in my account. Did my $1400 dollars evaporate into thin air? We shall see.

Anyone else have this happen? What say ye fellow bogleheader's?
shoppingchicken

Post by shoppingchicken »

Shapeshifter. Did you check the IRS website? What does it say when you check the status?
wander

Post by wander »

Silk McCue wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:33 pm
If that’s the way it actually plays out and there is no other downside then yes I would.

Cheers
That's fair answer. Thanks!
Snuffycuts99

Post by Snuffycuts99 »

jhfenton wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:44 pm

Could be. I wasn't sure why they switched to a check on the second payment. The only thing that changed in between was our switching from paying them from our bank account for our 2019 taxes, whereas we received a refund to that account for our 2018 taxes.
Aha! Same exact thing for us. We also received a refund in 2018 but paid in 2019.
Samueul

Post by Samueul »

My payment status just changed this evening to a deposit date of 03/24
Snuffycuts99

Post by Snuffycuts99 »

Samueul wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:29 pm My payment status just changed this evening to a deposit date of 03/24
Your post prompted me to check my status and sure enough I have an update as well. It now says my payment is scheduled to be mailed to my address on 3/26.
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

Samueul wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:29 pm My payment status just changed this evening to a deposit date of 03/24
Ours as well. But the weird thing is that it is being deposited into my individual checking acct rather than our joint checking acct that we have used for IRS direct deposits and debits for the past 15 years. I checked both our SSNs and got the same message. Curiouser and curiouser. But we can work with it as long as it all finds its way here :sharebeer

ETA: Perhaps they located the checking account # via SSA (I have SSA DD but DW does not collect SS) rather than thru IRS???
CalcHP12c

Post by CalcHP12c »

Status updated tonight from Not Available to a Paper Check mailing date (March 26)
shapeshifter

Post by shapeshifter »

shoppingchicken wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:00 pm Shapeshifter. Did you check the IRS website? What does it say when you check the status?
Payment Status
You are eligible for the payment. Once we have your payment date, we will update this page.
Jablean

Post by Jablean »

Ours was deposited on Tuesday - I think for three people this time so that our college kiddo was included. Of course got the IRS letter today which only talks about sending us $1200 as part of the second impact payment - I'm guessing that's for the one we got last fall.

I log in to the IRS every quarter to schedule my estimated taxes to be withdrawn from my checking account. All three of our stimulus payments have been direct deposited the first week into the same account at my credit union. I have not filed taxes for 2020 yet.

On the other hand our social security recipient has not received their payment yet even though for the other two payments they got were just as fast as ours.

For those who have not received this round has anyone done estimated taxes? I'm wondering if that has helped us be serviced so rapidly.
trigger08

Post by trigger08 »

Ours is now showing a check is scheduled to be mailed March 26. Good to know, but sad to see our DD information didn't make it into the system in time. I expect we'll get the check sometime in May… :oops:

(We filed with a small refund due in February, but IRS has not processed/paid our refund yet)
Seasonal

Post by Seasonal »

Overnight, a relative I help changed from

to

We scheduled your payment to be deposited on March 24, 2021 to the bank account below
HombrePeludo

Post by HombrePeludo »

Will be mailed March 26th. Northwest, assume we will be getting debit cards again.
z3r0c00l

Post by z3r0c00l »

trigger08 wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:16 am Ours is now showing a check is scheduled to be mailed March 26. Good to know, but sad to see our DD information didn't make it into the system in time. I expect we'll get the check sometime in May… :oops:

(We filed with a small refund due in February, but IRS has not processed/paid our refund yet)
Same thing here, I am happy for an update but why mailed? I was set up for DD and have used the same bank account for a decade now, and it was fine for the last two payments. Yes I moved and filed that updated address, but the bank hasn't changed. Relying on the error/theft prone NYC mail system is worrying to say the least: Yesterday as luck would have it, I got the confirmation memo of payment #2, memo dated March 5th, after it spent a week or two bouncing around the city mail system growing ever more crumpled and water stained.
Last edited by z3r0c00l on Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
70% Global Stocks / 30% Bonds
Snuffycuts99

Post by Snuffycuts99 »

trigger08 wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:16 am Ours is now showing a check is scheduled to be mailed March 26. Good to know, but sad to see our DD information didn't make it into the system in time. I expect we'll get the check sometime in May… :oops:

Could certainly be May but I wouldn't be surprised if it comes mid to late April. We received the 2nd round via check. If I remember correctly the Get My Payment tool said it was mailed Jan 4. I think we received it Jan 24.
theplayer11

Post by theplayer11 »

my 2 kids in their 20’s both received stimulus by dd on march 17. They had both filed 2020 tax returns and received refunds. Same for wife and I.My 86 year old father who lives on ss did not receive his and nothing pending. He is the only 1 of the above who actually could use a stimulus check. You would think ss recipients would go out first.
mnsportsgeek

Re: Received 3rd stimulus check 3/12/21

Post by mnsportsgeek »

mnsportsgeek wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:51 am Anyone else eligible for a stimulus and still having the IRS website say the have no status on your payment? I got the first 2 right away.
Website now shows deposit scheduled for March 24. I’m assuming I was delayed because I filed my taxes 2 weeks ago and they held off to make sure they could use the 2020 return. Relieved to see I wasn’t forgotten about.
Seasonal

Post by Seasonal »

z3r0c00l wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:26 am

Same thing here, I am happy for an update but why mailed? I was set up for DD and have used the same bank account for a decade now, and it was fine for the last two payments. Yes I moved and filed that updated address, but the bank hasn't changed. Relying on the error/theft prone NYC mail system is worrying to say the least: Yesterday as luck would have it, I got the confirmation memo of payment #2, memo dated March 5th, after it spent a week or two bouncing around the city mail system growing ever more crumpled and water stained.
Everyone I've spoken to about the confirmation memo of payment #2 has received the memo somewhere between a couple of weeks ago and yesterday. It's not just NYC. They've come from Austin TX 73301-0003.