How to deposit a check without endorsing it in the back?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
dundee

How to deposit a check without endorsing it in the back?

Post by dundee »

Friends,

My daughter lives overseas and given current situation, she won't be able to come back for at least 6 months. She has just received a check from her previous apartment deposit (over $1,000) that needs to be put into her account in her online bank. I am also a joint account holder of that account.

Since she is overseas, it is not possible to endorse the check. It is also not possible to go back to the sleazy landlord to have him issue another check in my name.

Is there a way to deposit the check without her signing it on the backside? The check is written to her name and she is the account holder.

I understand next best option would be to mail her the check and try to deposit it from there.
nydoc

Re: How to deposit a check without endorsing it in the back?

Post by nydoc »

I never endorse it. Bank never rejects it.
Seasonal

Post by Seasonal »

nydoc wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:48 pm I never endorse it. Bank never rejects it.
In support of that, the Chase Bank app will even endorse a check For Deposit Only if you don't endorse.
Last edited by Seasonal on Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yooper

Post by Yooper »

Can't you simply write "For Deposit Only" on the the back and then deposit it to her account? It's worked for me in the past.
netrammgc

Post by netrammgc »

Seasonal wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:52 pm
nydoc wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:48 pm I never endorse it. Bank never rejects it.
In support of that, the Chase Bank app will even endorse a check For Deposit Only if you don't endorse.
Woah! This is news to me and would raise some concerns. Never really banked at a large institution like Chase though though either. Is this commonplace now? My credit union is extremly finicky about mobile deposit and hand checks each one.
dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 »

netrammgc wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:01 pm
Woah! This is news to me and would raise some concerns. Never really banked at a large institution like Chase though though either. Is this commonplace now? My credit union is extremly finicky about mobile deposit and hand checks each one.
If the check is written out to the person on the account the it doesn't usually need to be endorsed with a signature.

Consider those checks you write to businesses. Have you ever looked at the photos at your banks website or app? They aren't "endorsed" by the business, they're just stamped FOR DEPOSIT Only plus an account number.
Last edited by dukeblue219 on Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

I always write "FOR DEPOSIT ONLY" as the endorsement on my checks, never had a problem.
Back in the day, the bank used to have a rubber stamp saying that and would usually stamp the check for me rather then me signing or writing anything.
I'm pretty sure there's an old episode of "The Simpsons" where Bart tries to get Krusty the clowns autograph by sending him a check, expecting he'd have to sign it to cash it... only to discover it wasn't required.

Last edited by JoMoney on Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
MishkaWorries

Post by MishkaWorries »

Yooper wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:52 pm Can't you simply write "For Deposit Only" on the the back and then deposit it to her account? It's worked for me in the past.
This is all I ever do. I write "for deposit only" and account number below. The old business we had that on a stamp.

Never had a problem in almost 50 years of banking.
We plan. G-d laughs.
Gill

Post by Gill »

Endorse with her signature and then sign your name. You are guaranteeing the signature of prior endorsers.
Gill
Cost basis is redundant. One has a basis in an investment | One advises and gives advice | One should follow the principle of investing one's principal
netrammgc

Post by netrammgc »

dukeblue219 wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:07 pm
netrammgc wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:01 pm
If the check is written out to the person on the account the it doesn't usually need to be endorsed with a signature.

Consider those checks you write to businesses. Have you ever looked at the photos at your banks website or app? They aren't "endorsed" by the business, they're just stamped FOR DEPOSIT Only plus an account number.
Interesting. Never gave it much thought. So "for deposit only" is considered the "endorsement"? Or are endorsement requirements no longer applicable?
dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 »

netrammgc wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:22 pm
dukeblue219 wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:07 pm If the check is written out to the person on the account the it doesn't usually need to be endorsed with a signature.

Interesting. Never gave it much thought. So "for deposit only" is considered the "endorsement"? Or are endorsement requirements no longer applicable?

Well I suppose I don't know the technicalities of the banking regulations, only that this is how I deposit mobile checks to BoA and its how I see my own checks deposited by businesses.

Post by 123 »

If you look up the terms and conditions for the account at the bank that holds it the standard language will likely say that the bank is authorized to supply any missing endorsements on any items submitted for deposit. I have never had a bank account that lacked this specific language in the terms and conditions. Just write "For Deposit Only" and the account number on the back of the check and deposit it with a teller or at an ATM.

Yes, I read all the fine print for all my financial accounts, I generally find it fascinating.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue »

“For Deposit Only” and the Account Number has been an option for as long as I can remember if it is going into the account of the payee on the front of the check or if it is made out to cash.

Cheers
Jablean

Post by Jablean »

I don't know about banks but my credit union let's me sign my family members deposits with no problem. As a joint owner of the account you should have no problem. My online deposit app has me put in "for virtual deposit only" instead of just "for deposit only".
netrammgc

Post by netrammgc »

123 wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:28 pm If you look up the terms and conditions for the account at the bank that holds it the standard language will likely say that the bank is authorized to supply any missing endorsements on any items submitted for deposit. I have never had a bank account that lacked this specific language in the terms and conditions. Just write "For Deposit Only" and the account number on the back of the check and deposit it with a teller or at an ATM.

Yes, I read all the fine print for all my financial accounts, I generally find it fascinating.
Find them fascinating too. My small town credit union fine print doesn't say anything like that. It does state:

"You will be responsible for any costs incurred by Us due to delays in returning checks deposited into Your Account that do not comply with the endorsement standards."

In the remote deposit terms it states: "Prior to imaging the original check, you will restrictively endorse any item transmitted through the Services as “For deposit only, ABC Credit Union account #______”

Not much talk of signatures needed. It does say they need to be genuine though: "The amount, the payee, signature(s), and endorsement(s) on the original check are legible, genuine, and accurate"
FOGU

Post by FOGU »

If the check is made out to your daughter, and you are depositing in your daughter's account, you will have no trouble. Sign her name, for deposit only, and the bank will accept the funds in her account. I am overseas alot and my helper in the USA does this for me all the time at Behemoth Bank.
tomd37

Post by tomd37 »

Recently I discovered that I can deposit a check into my account by just writing For Deposit Only along with my account number and not have to sign the payee's name. I have been with NFCU for 60 years now and never knew or noticed this. :D
Tom D.
OnTrack2020

Post by OnTrack2020 »

The bank should also have a stamp they will use for situations like this when someone is unable to endorse the check.
Brianmcg321

Post by Brianmcg321 »

I haven’t signed the back of a check in over 20 years.

I always put “For Deposit Only”
Rules to investing: | 1. Don't lose money. | 2. Don't forget rule number 1.
GerryL

Post by GerryL »

FOGU wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:18 pm If the check is made out to your daughter, and you are depositing in your daughter's account, you will have no trouble. Sign her name, for deposit only, and the bank will accept the funds in her account. I am overseas alot and my helper in the USA does this for me all the time at Behemoth Bank.
Yes. I have always deposited my checks w/o signature, just "For Deposit Only." The only time I had a problem was when I did it at an ATM at a credit union. Would not accept it. Could only do it face-to-face.

I also deposited my mother's checks when she had Alzheimer's. No signature. Into her account.
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

Just a caution, esp if you plan to use mobile check deposit, here's my experience at Fidelity:
heartwood wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:47 pm
vtMaps wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:21 pm
spammagnet wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:26 pm
heartwood wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:52 am I logged onto our joint account via my phone and used mobile deposit on a business check made out to my wife. It showed as accepted, then was reversed the next day. I called and discussed it with Fido. They considered the check a rhird-party item since it was in my wife's name and I was logged on as me. They agreed she is joint on the account, but would have to logon with her username & PW to make the deposit.
Their issue is that you could be depositing a check to the joint account that she didn't intend to deposit there. You're giving yourself access to her private funds by depositing it in a joint account.
Ally works the same way... When I submit a deposit by smartphone, their computer tries to read the names and dates and may ask me to confirm certain details if it's not sure. Of course, all deposits are subject to human review and may be rejected after initial computer review and acceptance.

When I deposit a check made out to (and endorsed by) my wife to OUR Ally joint account, I get a warning dialog asking me to confirm the check is made out to me. I just click 'submit'. So far (several years) so good. None have been reversed.

--vtMaps
I've not had a problem at either BOA or Vanguard with mobile deposits. Maybe their rules are different or they're not on top of them.

Thanks for the comments. I hadn't considered the "she didn't intend to deposit there" aspect that they're protecting against. It leaves me feeling better about Fidelity.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

heartwood wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:56 am Just a caution, esp if you plan to use mobile check deposit, here's my experience at Fidelity:
heartwood wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:56 am heartwood wrote: ↑Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:52 am
I logged onto our joint account via my phone and used mobile deposit on a business check made out to my wife. It showed as accepted, then was reversed the next day. I called and discussed it with Fido. They considered the check a rhird-party item since it was in my wife's name and I was logged on as me. They agreed she is joint on the account, but would have to logon with her username & PW to make the deposit.
We have done this exact thing many times, with DH depositing a check made out only to me into our joint account, while he was logged in as "him", and we've never heard a peep about it.
It didn't occur to us that the bank would "try" to match up the login ID with the check payee.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
vested1

Post by vested1 »

Don't know if the OP banks with Chase, but since others have mentioned that institution, I've deposited checks by taking a picture of them using Chase Mobile. I've also used the Zelle feature through Chase online where you can transfer money to or from your personal account to or from another personal account. I was on the east coast and entered a superbowl pool my daughter was running on the west coast, and transferred the money for my squares to her account through Zelle.

I won, but let her sister and her split the winnings to ensure they would still love me, even though I beat both of them in the pool. :twisted:
SmallSaver

Post by SmallSaver »

Ask your bank? If you explain your situation a teller should be able to help you solve it.
jpelder

Post by jpelder »

I've never had issues with just "for deposit only" on the back and no signature as long as the check was made out to an account holder and no cash-back was being given.
Topic Author
dundee

Post by dundee »

This is OP. Thank you very much everybody.

I will deposit it as many have described here. Have a great weekend.
TropikThunder

Post by TropikThunder »

SmallSaver wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:23 am Ask your bank? If you explain your situation a teller should be able to help you solve it.
It's better to ask for forgiveness then for permission. :P

When my daughter was studying abroad for college and grad school, I would routinely sign her financial aid checks for her and deposit them using the credit union mobile app on my phone. This was after asking a teller if that was ok. She said no, the recipient herself had to sign the check (I'm supposed to mail the check to Wales?!). I did it anyway. 5 years and three degrees later, never once had an issue.
need403bhelp

Post by need403bhelp »

FWIW, I've deposited at least 2 checks using mobile deposit for which I did NOT have the actual paper check in my possession. In other words, I was able to mobile deposit using my phone via Wifi from my computer screen (making sure that it was positioned so that this was not 100% obvious, although I'm pretty sure there's no manual review for my large bank).

First time was when I was traveling abroad and needed to deposit a check at a certain point in time. Here, I had pre-endorsed it and scanned it (didn't want to carry said check with me as I wasn't sure how it would affect customs regulations in various countries, etc.).

Another time was an ?option check when selling a house. My realtor scanned it and sent a photo, I endorsed the PDF using Acrobat, and deposited the endorsed PDF via mobile phone. I did end up having to have her re-take a photo as first one was not great quality, but it worked fine.

So one option would be high quality scan, send to your daughter, have her print it out sign (or sign on the screen via Acrobat/Photoshop), then mobile deposit with her phone/app.

Sounds like there are much simpler ways to do this reading the rest of the thread, though (I also was not aware of the "For Deposit Only" option).
Harry Livermore

Post by Harry Livermore »

I always try to remember to endorse paper check deposits, most of which get fed into an ATM. I was taught signature, account number, and "for deposit only".
Occasionally I have forgotten to write anything on the back, and although I have sweated it, all of those have cleared no problem.
I have a rubber stamp for the business, but also sign.
I may, or may not have, signed checks made out to my spouse, and deposited them at the ATM into our joint account.
I am not "endorsing" that, however...
:sharebeer
Cheers
Jablean

Post by Jablean »

Harry Livermore wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:18 am I always try to remember to endorse paper check deposits, most of which get fed into an ATM. I was taught signature, account number, and "for deposit only".
Occasionally I have forgotten to write anything on the back, and although I have sweated it, all of those have cleared no problem.
I have a rubber stamp for the business, but also sign.
I may, or may not have, signed checks made out to my spouse, and deposited them at the ATM into our joint account.
I am not "endorsing" that, however...
:sharebeer
Cheers
I always figure that putting account #s on the checks gives the writer of that check way too much information about me. Somebody scans those checks (both sides) and would be looking at it if for example recipient says never received check but check writer's bank says money was taken out. I know I used to be able to see both sides of checks on my online banking but that may have been only for the checks I deposited and not the ones I wrote.
mmmodem

Post by mmmodem »

Thanks all. I was unaware you could desposit checks this way. I just mobile deposited two checks made out to me and DW. The last time I attempted this, the bank put the deposit under review and then a day later canceled the transaction saying I needed to have two signatures. This time I just wrote 'For deposit only" and it was accepted immediately. :sharebeer
Minty

Post by Minty »

JoMoney wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:08 pm I always write "FOR DEPOSIT ONLY" as the endorsement on my checks, never had a problem.
Back in the day, the bank used to have a rubber stamp saying that and would usually stamp the check for me rather then me signing or writing anything.
I'm pretty sure there's an old episode of "The Simpsons" where Bart tries to get Krusty the clowns autograph by sending him a check, expecting he'd have to sign it to cash it... only to discover it wasn't required.

This worked with Cher, Kurt Vonnegut, Mia Farrow, Rupert Murdoch, Beverly Sills, and other celebrities who hand-endorsed very small checks in a July, 1990 Spy Magazine article called "Every Man has his Price, in Some Cases 13 Cents" (starting at 80). Many others used endorsement stamps, though, or did not bother to cash a small check.
Core Four w/ nominal bonds & TIPS. Refi Rampage: Purchase: 3.875% 30 -> R1 3% 20 -> R2 2.375% 15 -> R3 1.99% 15 -> R4 1.875% 15