Fidelity 2% Credit Card: [Update on Experiences, drops two benefits]

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
blastoff

Fidelity 2% Credit Card: [Update on Experiences, drops two benefits]

Post by blastoff »

[Title was "Fidelity 2% Credit Card: Update on Any Issues or Experiences".
Fidelity's drop of Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver and Extended Warranty Protection starts on Page 2 --admin LadyGeek]

Hi ,

I am thinking of getting the 2% Fidelity Credit Card.

I already have a Fidelity Cash Management Account as well as most assets at Fidelity.

In the past, I have read about some people having issues with the card such as security type issues/alerts and other issues not experienced as much by other major cards issued from Chase, BOA, AMEX, etc...

Is this still the case or is there really no reason for any concern about getting the Fidelity 2% card?

If no real issues, I will probably get it.

I know this has been discussed in the past but curious if it is still the case (experiences in last 6months of so).

Thanks!
inverter

Re: Fidelity 2% Credit Card: Update on Any Issues or Experiences

Post by inverter »

My experience with the Fidelity credit card has been positive, but Elan Financial is definitely a tier (or two) below the top quality issuers like AmEx or Chase.

For example, I use to (pre-COVID) travel to Miami for work. 4/16 weeks I would fill up the rental car at the *same* gas station and the card would decline... you would think they would learn week over week. :)

Another time, a gym I worked out with filed for Chapter 7. I filed a dispute with Elan, and they denied it the first time. I had to fight them to get the refund, which they eventually did.

Their online portal is several notches below Fidelity's own website and other banks.

That said... the 2% is sweet and despite the above I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it. I also have a Chase Sapphire Reserve, Chase Marriott, and Chase Amazon card and my spend is 60% on the Fidelity card with the other cards taking the spend for their respective bonus categories.
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

I've never had any issues with the Fidelity Rewards Visa card currently issued through Elan Financial (under US Bancorp)
10+ years ago I had the Fidelity card that was issued through Bank of America, and when I initially got that card it was stolen in the mail... but I don't think that's the card/banks fault, that could happen with any card.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
Jermbo

Post by Jermbo »

I've never had any issues and the simplicity of 2% rewards being available and transferrable to my fidelity CMA each month is great. I use this card for pretty much everything. I'll use amazon credit card and target red card (debit) for most our other purchases since it's 5% off.
vasaver

Post by vasaver »

2% automatically posts to my fidelity account like clockwork. Website is very basic - but everything I need to do works just fine. No complaints from me.
Topic Author
blastoff

Post by blastoff »

Thanks for replies already. Exactly what I was looking for.

Your use cases appear similar to mine. I have a travel card and grocery card but this would be used for most other purchases.

Is the "fidelity" credit card website interface integrated into the fidelity website and log in, or separate?

Curious of any one else's experience as well!
vasaver

Post by vasaver »

blastoff wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:14 am Thanks for replies already. Exactly what I was looking for.

Your use cases appear similar to mine. I have a travel card and grocery card but this would be used for most other purchases.

Is the "fidelity" credit card website interface integrated into the fidelity website and log in, or separate?

Curious of any one else's experience as well!
The credit card information is somewhat integrated into the Fidelity website. The balance shows up under "All Accounts" you can drill into the statements and transactions.

For more advanced features, I needed to create a separate account with Elan (fidelityrewards.com). This is the website you use to setup authorized users, get your credit score, report lost or stolen, request credit increase....

I don't carry the Fidelity card with me. I use it for all of my online purchases and have added it to my phone for google pay. That way I can't lose the card.
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

blastoff wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:14 am....
It's integrated into Fidelity's website, or at least it has a single-sign-on that integrates and looks like it's being accessed through Fidelity after you sign on to the account. I believe you can access the card/website separately, but I never have.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
Hayden

Post by Hayden »

Thanks for starting this thread. I have a Costco Citi card and I receive an immediate text message whenever there is a charge on my card. This is valuable to me. Does the Fidelity card offer this?
clarkdfw

Post by clarkdfw »

I have used it for years with no issues. Just be sure to always redeem rewards into your Fidelity account to get the 2% vs 1%. You can set it up to auto redeem into your Fidelity Cash account or brokerage account.
totality

Post by totality »

blastoff wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:14 am Is the "fidelity" credit card website interface integrated into the fidelity website and log in, or separate?
It's semi-integrated: a few things, like current and available balance, show up in Fidelity's website. To see more details, like individual transactions, you have to click a link and it opens a new browser window to what is clearly a different website.

But you don't have to set up a separate login or anything, so for my purposes it's "integrated enough."

I have only had the card about a month or so, but so far so good.
Equitius

Post by Equitius »

Last edited by Equitius on Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
classicindexer

Post by classicindexer »

Hayden wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:29 am Thanks for starting this thread. I have a Costco Citi card and I receive an immediate text message whenever there is a charge on my card. This is valuable to me. Does the Fidelity card offer this?
Yes, you can setup purchase alerts to text or email or both. They do not support notifications being pushed to the Fidelity mobile app.
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

Hayden wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:29 am Thanks for starting this thread. I have a Costco Citi card and I receive an immediate text message whenever there is a charge on my card. This is valuable to me. Does the Fidelity card offer this?
Yes, it has customizable "Alerts" to receive either a text or email based on lots of different criteria, like "Gas Station Purchase" "ATM Transaction" "International Transaction" or any "Transaction" at any $ level minimum you choose to set.
Stubbie

Post by Stubbie »

Have had the card for years and it is great for a basic 2% cash back card. The only issue I ever had was trying to dispute a charge once. Had to actually call them instead of being able to do this online. It all got resolved but Chase and other card issuers make this process much easier.
Vulcan

Post by Vulcan »

Fidelity's card still offers extended warranty as part of Visa Signature benefits, unlinke Citi Double Cash Mastercard, which recently cancelled it.

https://www.myvisacardportal.com/fideli ... tions.html
If you torture the data long enough, it will confess to anything. ~Ronald Coase
midareff

Post by midareff »

Only good experiences. Caught a fraud charge on one of their 2% cards and called them. Cancelled card and overnighted a new one to me. Nothing but good stuff to report on them. Cards are set to auto-pay in full on the due date and they deposit my 2% into a Fidelity cash account monthly. Best thing since sliced bread.
mgensler

Post by mgensler »

We had a bunch of travel for 6 people to Europe cancelled due to border closures this past Spring. Hotels and airlines refused refunds so we filed chargebacks with them. We didn't win any of those cases. So, we decided to get the no annual fee Amex through Schwab. It's only 1.5% back but it will be our go to card for any high end purchases in the future.
ensign_lee

Post by ensign_lee »

I've had it for, wow like a decade now - and have been happy with it. It used to be my everyday spend card.

It still is the card I use for all of my donations.
Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger »

I've had for a long time. There were some security issues a few years back, but nothing in the last two/three years. Truthfully, one time or another I've had issues with all my cards.

Reward cashback to my account is automatic.

I use the Fidelityrewards login most often, but can also access thru the Fidelity website.
mrb09

Post by mrb09 »

Happy card user, it is my primary card for the past year. No international travel the last year, so can't comment on that :). I always carry a backup card from a different bank, but have not had to use it due to Fidelity card issues.

Seems to work fine with Apple wallet, I use that whenever possible for the increased security.

Cashbacks get deposited in my Fidelity CMA account, no issues.

As other posters have noted, you can mix & match with the Fidelity site/phone app and the Elan (bank issuer) site. I use the Fidelity site/phone app for most functions, but I used the Elan specific site to link with my YNAB account, since I'm uncomfortable sharing all of my Fidelity account info.
radiowave

Post by radiowave »

My main complaint of the card is that I have text alert for all transactions, however if I make a few purchases during the day, the alerts trigger in the middle of the night, e.g.3AM. I guess I could turn off the alerts but I like that feature to catch fraud. My other main cards, Discover and AMEX text immediately for any purchase. The Fidelity card is my emergency backup cc now.
Bogleheads Wiki: https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Main_Page
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

Had the card for many years, not a single issue.

In fact, they have promptly approved all three charge backs I have done.
classicindexer

Post by classicindexer »

radiowave wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:41 am My main complaint of the card is that I have text alert for all transactions, however if I make a few purchases during the day, the alerts trigger in the middle of the night, e.g.3AM. I guess I could turn off the alerts but I like that feature to catch fraud. My other main cards, Discover and AMEX text immediately for any purchase. The Fidelity card is my emergency backup cc now.
For in person & gas station purchases I get a text right away (within a minute or two). For online purchases if the merchant authorizes for the actual amount when the order is completed I typically get a text or email alert right away as well.

Amazon on the other hand I primarily use the Chase Amazon Visa and find that Amazon usually does not charge right away so I get alerts hours later or overnight.
WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Howdy

All good so far. As one person noted the charge dispute process is not so great. This being the case we charge everything where we might have disputes, eg travel, rental cars and Amazon purchase and similar to AMEX Blue. AMEX has the best charge dispute goons around.

Pay the bills off every month, auto pay ideal and do the auto credit for rewards to the Fidelity account.

Happy consumer credit

W B
"Through chances various, through all vicissitudes, we make our way." Virgil, The Aeneid
DiamondBuck

Post by DiamondBuck »

I have used the Fidelity Credit Card for several years.

Pros:
1) Unlimited 2% is solid base rate.
2) The automatic redemption into my Fidelity CMA is incredibly efficient (I view the time spent figuring out how to use points at AmEx etc. as a cost).
3) The integration with Fidelity is convenient.
4) It being a Visa Signature is nice for a zero fee card that can be used at Costco at a good rewards rate.

Neutral:
1) Elan provides adequate customer support.

Cons:
1) It lacks push notifications via the Fidelity App.
2) It lacks pending transactions via YNAB.
3) The card is plastic.
Horsefly

Post by Horsefly »

Fidelity used to have an American Express, I think via BoA. I really disliked that card. I had charges denied often, which was a real annoyance. One example was when we ate in a local restaurant whose parent corporation was headquartered in another state. The BoA Amex people decided the card was being used fraudulently in a different state than where I was. Silly.

The transition to the Visa Signature in 2016 has made the card much better.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the foreign transaction fee. Most big card issuers have eliminated FTF, but this card still has it. That bit us when we went to New Zealand a few years ago, and used the card for most of our transactions. Ouch. :oops:
SpaethCo

Post by SpaethCo »

Horsefly wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:36 pmI'm surprised no one has mentioned the foreign transaction fee. Most big card issuers have eliminated FTF, but this card still has it. That bit us when we went to New Zealand a few years ago, and used the card for most of our transactions. Ouch. :oops:
It shouldn't have been all that bad? The Fidelity VISA charges a 1% FTF, but gives 2% cash back, so in the end you still come out ahead by 1%.

Compare that to the Citi DoubleCash which charges a 3% FTF, so you end up coming out 1% behind even after the 2% cash back.
FelixTheCat

Post by FelixTheCat »

My Fidelity Rewards automatically post to my brokerage account. I use the rewards money to buy more S&P 500.
Felix is a wonderful, wonderful cat.
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

Horsefly wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:36 pm ...
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the foreign transaction fee. Most big card issuers have eliminated FTF, but this card still has it. That bit us when we went to New Zealand a few years ago, and used the card for most of our transactions. Ouch. :oops:

Um, "most big card issuers" do have a foreign transaction fee. Including chase and citi actually charge a big 3% FTF (last I checked, which was a couple years ago), two of the biggest. I don't know where you're getting that most have eliminated it.

BUT, it's easily solved by either using Capital One (no FTF), or, as someone already replied, since the Fido card has 2% cash back the 1% FTF is no big deal.
Hayden

Post by Hayden »

The application says to lift credit freezes before applying. Do I really need to lift all 3? Does anyone know which credit bureau they use?
arf30

Post by arf30 »

I use this card because it's one of the few cards that automatically redeems (along with the Quicksilver 1.5% card) - haven't looked at the website once since setting it up years ago.
classicindexer

Post by classicindexer »

Hayden wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:10 pm The application says to lift credit freezes before applying. Do I really need to lift all 3? Does anyone know which credit bureau they use?
Applied in mid 2020, I unfroze all 3 and they used both TransUnion and Experian.
Hayden

Post by Hayden »

classicindexer wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:29 pm
Hayden wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:10 pm The application says to lift credit freezes before applying. Do I really need to lift all 3? Does anyone know which credit bureau they use?
Applied in mid 2020, I unfroze all 3 and they used both TransUnion and Experian.
Thanks. I guess i'll go ahead and unfreeze all three.
Topic Author
blastoff

Post by blastoff »

DiamondBuck wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:00 pm I have used the Fidelity Credit Card for several years.

Pros:
2) The automatic redemption into my Fidelity CMA is incredibly efficient (I view the time spent figuring out how to use points at AmEx etc. as a cost).
4) It being a Visa Signature is nice for a zero fee card that can be used at Costco at a good rewards rate.

Neutral:

Cons:
3) The card is plastic.
Thanks - I could care less about those cons so may work well for me!

Is the elan CC log in distinct from fidelity?
Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger »

blastoff wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:50 pm
DiamondBuck wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:00 pm I have used the Fidelity Credit Card for several years.

Pros:

Neutral:

Cons:
3) The card is plastic.
Thanks - I could care less about those cons so may work well for me!

There is a separate one - fidelityrewards.com
classicindexer

Post by classicindexer »

blastoff wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:50 pm Thanks - I could care less about those cons so may work well for me!

I logged into my Fidelity account before applying so I only access my Fidelity Visa through my Fidelity brokerage credentials. I believe that you can optionally create a separate login through https://www.fidelityrewards.com.
Horsefly

Post by Horsefly »

nalor511 wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:57 pm
Horsefly wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:36 pm ...

Um, "most big card issuers" do have a foreign transaction fee. Including chase and citi actually charge a big 3% FTF (last I checked, which was a couple years ago), two of the biggest. I don't know where you're getting that most have eliminated it.

BUT, it's easily solved by either using Capital One (no FTF), or, as someone already replied, since the Fido card has 2% cash back the 1% FTF is no big deal.
I probably overstated when I said most, but.... The Chase Sapphire Preferred (which I have), the Chase Sapphire Reserve, all of the Chase Ink business cards, the Citi Costco card (which I also have), Amex Gold (which I just closed), the Amex Platinum, and the Barclay Arrival Plus do NOT charge FTF. I think way more of the Chase cards do not have FTF than do. The ones that do seem to still have it are the entry-level Freedom cards, and their Airline / Hotel cards (although I'm not sure they do).

If you only care about cash back, I suppose getting only 1% back from the Fidelity Visa due to FTF is Ok. However, I'd much rather get 2 pts (generally worth more than 2%) and no FTF using some of my other cards.
pasadena

Post by pasadena »

I’m interested in this card too. But I think I’m going to wait until they offer a bonus again.
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

blastoff wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:14 am Is the "fidelity" credit card website interface integrated into the fidelity website and log in, or separate?
"Integrated" is a term open to interpretation. :wink:

If you log into your Fidelity investment account, you should see the card in the left-hand sidebar that shows your accounts. If you don't see your card there, click on "Customize" at the top, which will open up another window; from that window, expand out the "Account Groups" list and check to see if the "Hide this account" box next to your card is checked. If you have to uncheck it, you'll probably have to log out and back in to make it take effect.

Clicking on your card will take you to a page on the Fidelity site where you can see card balances, reward redemption history, etc. However, if from there you click on the "Make a payment" link, it will open up another window and redirect you to fidelityrewards.com, the native Elan website, the same site you could have reached just by logging into fidelityrewards.com in the first place.
There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way. (Christopher Morley)
drk

Post by drk »

pasadena wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:12 pm I’m interested in this card too. But I think I’m going to wait until they offer a bonus again.
I just received an offer in the mail for $150 back after spending $1500 and 12 months 0% APR.
Last edited by drk on Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A useful razor: anyone asking about speculative strategies on Bogleheads.org has no business using them.
benderbr

Post by benderbr »

Citi Doublecash pays 2% and the push notifications come through instantly upon any purchase authorization.
VictorStarr

Post by VictorStarr »

Fidelity Visa is a solid card. It is issued by ELAN, which is a 2nd tier CC provider.
As other people mentioned the charge dispute process is not so great. I had one negative experience with dispute resolution and now do not use this car for travel or high risk charges.
Web user interface very dated but functional. Still I prefer Fidelity card over City Double Cash with has 3% FTF.
SnowBog

Post by SnowBog »

Fidelity 2% works fine for us... Been using it as primary card for probably 1+ years at this point.

I have alerts setup for unusual card usage, they come quickly - no issues.

I've never had to file any disputes, so I can't speak to that...

But for us its a "no effort" card - 2% on everything, no juggling categories or multiple cards (spouse hates that!), and automatic "cash back" can be directed to any account (we just have it go to checking [CMA] with automatic payments from checking, but you could direct it to your 529, brokerage account, etc.).
telecaster

Post by telecaster »

My wife and I have been using it for everything except what we buy on amazon for a few years now.
We love it. Great cash back rate, and it goes right into our taxable investment account automatically.
usagi

Post by usagi »

The trouble with the Fidelity Card is the processor. If you travel a lot to different locations then you are totally [expletive deleted -- mod oldcomputerguy]. Essentially what they recommend you do is call them ahead of time and give them your Itinerary. otherwise you are apt to find your credit card declined all over the place.

With COVID I took to driving to clients instead of flying, as most of my trips are in the 500-800 mile range. There is nothing like having your credit card declined at the turnpikes and gas stations, much less the hotel. I more of less gave up on it and carry a lot of cash and use the card to buy prepaid gas station cards.

And it is not limited to the Fidelity card, I have had the same issue with AMEX and my GM card. It seems every now and then all companies update their fraud detection programs and if you are traveling at that time bad things happen. So like I said, I now do mostly cash.

My kids don't travel much and use their Fidelity cards for almost everything. However when they traveled they ran into the same problem.
rtt22

Post by rtt22 »

You can't generate virtual credit card numbers with Fidelity Visa Card as you can with Citi Double Cash card.
Recently I got 3 unauthorized charges out of the blues although I only use this card to pay bills. Received a text msg today saying "Fidelity Credit Card: We're continuing to research your fraud claim" even though the 3 unauthorized charges have been removed from the "Pending" tab and not appearing on the Posted tab.
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

Elan is US Bank. So you get similar issues as with US Bank. They are pretty famous for hating gift card purchases, but you need to go overboard to feel their wrath.
Andymoler58

Post by Andymoler58 »

I’m at $2,500 after 2 years. I’m gonna try and get the balance to 60-70k over 20-30 years.

What kind of balances do y’all have in the account
MikeG62

Post by MikeG62 »

I used the Fidelity VISA as my general purpose CC for years (until early in 2020 when I got the BofA Premium Rewards CC). Can't really say I had any bad experiences with Fidelity/Elan. I'd have zero hesitation going back to that card if BofA drops the CB reward level on the premium rewards CC below 2.0%.
Real Knowledge Comes Only From Experience