Health insurance premiums

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
Supurdueper

Health insurance premiums

Post by Supurdueper »

Hello all,

Not to go into the backstory, looking to switch jobs and got an offer but in reviewing benefit costs for Family plan hmo option it’s $325/week! HDHP isn’t much better at $270/week. It’s a smaller employer so I expect a hike. I currently pay $180/month for PPO option.

Curious what other smaller to mid size employees rates are? Maybe I’m just jaded?
Nathan Drake

Re: Health insurance premiums

Post by Nathan Drake »

That’s a huge increase if it truly is per week and not month
tashnewbie

Post by tashnewbie »

How small is the employer?

I've worked at employers with fewer than 15 employees and they covered 100% of premium for employees (I don't know about adding family members/dependents).

That's a huge increase if, as other user said, it's truly per week and not per month!

ETA: if you really want to take this job for other reasons, it might be worth seeing if you can negotiate a higher base salary to offset the increased health insurance costs. Looks like it could be at least $5k more per year.
dsmil

Post by dsmil »

We have <100 employees and the family plan is $950 per month. It's a HDHP but we get reimbursed for most of the deductible.
Topic Author
Supurdueper

Post by Supurdueper »

It is weekly. I had to triple check the benefits packet. It’s part of a group of small companies. I think around 2,000 employees. I knew my current rates are great compared to anywhere I’ve been.

I’ll certainly ask for more. It’s one of those, stuck in current job not much upward or try something more exciting. Another issue I’ll have is I’d have to get a second residence for 4 years as the oldest child will finish high school in the current area. If it was only 2 years it would be serious consideration, but 4 is a stretch unless the offer was at least equal.
FelixTheCat

Post by FelixTheCat »

I pay $700 a month for one healthy adult male.
Felix is a wonderful, wonderful cat.
Cautionary Tale

Post by Cautionary Tale »

870/month for one healthy male here.
Topic Author
Supurdueper

Post by Supurdueper »

Are those single rates through your employer? Or are you self employed. The single rate for this offer is 43/week.