How do Medicare/IRMAA deductions factor into calculating the taxable portion of social security?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
alexcr

How do Medicare/IRMAA deductions factor into calculating the taxable portion of social security?

Post by alexcr »

Let's say that 85% of your benefits are taxable. Is that 85% applied to the full social security amount, or is it applied to the amount after Medicare/IRMAA deductions? In other words, is it #1 or #2...?

#1: Taxable portion of social security = 85% * Social security benefits

#2: Taxable portion of social security = 85% * (Social security benefits - Medicare/IRMAA deductions)

Thanks in advance!
neilpilot

Re: How do Medicare/IRMAA deductions factor into calculating the taxable portion of social security?

Post by neilpilot »

full SS amount, before any deductions
pshonore

Re: How do Medicare/IRMAA deductions factor into calculating the taxable portion of social security?

Post by pshonore »

#1 - Taxation of SS benefits is unrelated to what you pay for Medicare
GerryL

Post by GerryL »

Your use of the word "deductions" here is confusing. Are you trying to understand how MAGI is calculated for determining whether you are subject to higher Medicare premiums (IRMAA)?
Topic Author
alexcr

Post by alexcr »

GerryL wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:14 pm Your use of the word "deductions" here is confusing. Are you trying to understand how MAGI is calculated for determining whether you are subject to higher Medicare premiums (IRMAA)?
Sorry. By deductions, I'm referring to how your social security statement shows you...

Monthly benefit amount before deductions
- Monthly deduction for the standard Medicare Part B premium
- Monthly deduction for the standard Medicare Part B IRMAA
- Monthly deduction for the standard Medicare Part D IRMAA
= Monthly benefit amount after deductions (the amount actually deposited into your bank account each month)

What I'm asking is that if 85% of your social security benefits are taxable, is it specifically 85% of your monthly benefit amount before deductions, or 85% of your monthly benefit amount after deductions?
jhawktx

Post by jhawktx »

alexcr wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:58 pm
GerryL wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:14 pm Your use of the word "deductions" here is confusing. Are you trying to understand how MAGI is calculated for determining whether you are subject to higher Medicare premiums (IRMAA)?
Sorry. By deductions, I'm referring to how your social security statement shows you...

= Monthly benefit amount after deductions (the amount actually deposited into your bank account each month)

What I'm asking is that if 85% of your social security benefits are taxable, is it specifically 85% of your monthly benefit amount before deductions, or 85% of your monthly benefit amount after deductions?
That question has been answered.
trueblueky

Post by trueblueky »

alexcr wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:58 pm

85% of the gross before anything is subtracted
Topic Author
alexcr

Post by alexcr »

jhawktx wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:14 pm That question has been answered.
GerryL asked for clarification on the question, which I was providing.