Chrome OS migration, NOT a security query

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
TheGreyingDuke

Chrome OS migration, NOT a security query

Post by TheGreyingDuke »

Life moves on, needs change; I have been using Chrome OS for about 5 years now, manage it quite well. I also have a Windows 10 machine (ThinkPad x230, about 6 years old) and am thinking of migrating to a ChromeBox with a big monitor.

The two windows apps I would need to replace are MS Money and tax software I could use the online tax and that seems mostly OK. I use MS Money strictly for credit card transactions, being able to search for one has been of use over the years I see I can download the statements to a CSV file and have access to searching.

Am I missing something, not looking for a discussion about relative security, who do I trust and the like, strictly an operational question Suggestions about ChromeBox choices are welcome!
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." H.G. Wells
jebmke

Re: Chrome OS migration, NOT a security query

Post by jebmke »

I think it is doable. Online tax software has some limitations but it will get the job done.

The W10 machine isn’t that old. I have a Dell LT I bought in late 2008 running W10. If there is enough memory yours should do fine for a while longer if you wanted to keep it for taxes.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
Topic Author
TheGreyingDuke

Post by TheGreyingDuke »

jebmke wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:48 am I think it is doable. Online tax software has some limitations but it will get the job done.

The W10 machine isn’t that old. I have a Dell LT I bought in late 2008 running W10. If there is enough memory yours should do fine for a while longer if you wanted to keep it for taxes.
Indeed, the X230 is quite usable, the main motivation is to get a QHD monitor, which the ThinkPad will not support
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." H.G. Wells
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

TheGreyingDuke wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:02 pm Indeed, the X230 is quite usable, the main motivation is to get a QHD monitor, which the ThinkPad will not support
I was thinking just keep it available for the tax application. However, the online software will get the job done. It just has some limitations -- for example, as far as I know there is no way to create multiple returns online to test scenarios out.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.