Got scammed by fake website...

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
chocolatemuffin

Got scammed by fake website...

Post by chocolatemuffin »

We made a purchase on a website (around $200), which we thought was an official website. It turns out to be a scam website. We paid with our debit card, but I think it's processed as a credit transaction.

Now that we realized we've been scammed (the product never arrives, and the website has disappeared), we want to see whether there are ways to recover our losses. I know credit/debit cards usually provide certain protections, but I am not sure whether it would apply in our case. Does anyone know what are the laws in this area and what we can do to recoup the losses?

Thanks.
tibbitts

Re: Got scammed by fake website...

Post by tibbitts »

chocolatemuffin wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:13 pm We made a purchase on a website (around $200), which we thought was an official website. It turns out to be a scam website. We paid with our debit card, but I think it's processed as a credit transaction.

Now that we realized we've been scammed (the product never arrives, and the website has disappeared), we want to see whether there are ways to recover our losses. I know credit/debit cards usually provide certain protections, but I am not sure whether it would apply in our case. Does anyone know what are the laws in this area and what we can do to recoup the losses?

Thanks.
Did you contact the card issuer and asked? Although my understanding is that debit cards have caught up to at least some degree to credit cards in terms of protections, I wouldn't have used a debit card for such a transaction.
Shackleton

Post by Shackleton »

You can usually dispute the charge through your bank online. The bank may end up eating the charge.
“Superhuman effort isn't worth a damn unless it achieves results.” ~Ernest Shackleton
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

chocolatemuffin wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:13 pm We made a purchase on a website (around $200), which we thought was an official website. It turns out to be a scam website. We paid with our debit card, but I think it's processed as a credit transaction.

Thanks.
I suggest getting that card/number cancelled *now*, and get a new one.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

tibbitts wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:17 pm

Thanks.
Did you contact the card issuer and asked? Although my understanding is that debit cards have caught up to at least some degree to credit cards in terms of protections, I wouldn't have used a debit card for such a transaction.
Pretty much this, report the fraudulent transaction immediately and ask if they can cancel the charge. Since it's a debit card, I'm not sure if you have protection though.
mhalley

Post by mhalley »

Sorry you got scammed. This is why you never buy anything over the interweb with a debit card. Read what Clark Howard thinks about them here:
https://clark.com/personal-finance-cred ... -card-pay/
Buying online – A credit card is a much better option when buying anything online. If you don’t get your merchandise or something else goes wrong with the transaction, you can do a chargeback during a 60-day window and get your money back from the bank that issued your card.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

Tibbitts, above may know something I don't know, but I don't believe debit cards provide ANY protection.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

Since you authorized the transaction, there is likely no protection, as there would be when using a credit card. It doesn't matter how the transaction was processed.

But contact your bank immediately and ask them. At the same time, make sure they cancel the card.

In the future, use your credit card.
It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | And I feel fine.
wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette »

Marseille07 wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:29 pm
tibbitts wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:17 pm

Thanks.
Pretty much this, report the fraudulent transaction immediately and ask if they can cancel the charge. Since it's a debit card, I'm not sure if you have protection though.
If it has the Visa/MC logo it carries many of the same protections as a regular CC.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

bertilak wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:51 pm Tibbitts, above may know something I don't know, but I don't believe debit cards provide ANY protection.
Our credit union states they treat CCs and debit cards the same. But, even if they actually do, I would much rather use a CC to pick up a buck here and there via rewards.

I have never understood the attraction of debit card, actually never used one. Periodically my credit union will send me a new debit/ATM card, but I destroy the card and ask for a ATM-only card. So far so good.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
MortgageOnBlack

Post by MortgageOnBlack »

I had this happen over a $30 purchase back in 2010. Once I did not receive order/shipping information, I immediately started finding questionable things about the website. I gave them the benefit of the doubt and waited a couple weeks. Unfortunately, my item never came. I called my bank (US Bank) and disputed the charge - the bank ended up siding with the merchant because they provided a handwritten (made up, I'm sure) tracking number to my bank. I could not believe this; I ended up terminating my relationship with this bank. I do not recommend US Bank to anyone know.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

Broken Man 1999 wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:11 pm I have never understood the attraction of debit card, actually never used one. Periodically my credit union will send me a new debit/ATM card, but I destroy the card and ask for a ATM-only card. So far so good.
I can't remember what it was but I bought something (or paid for some service, I think) where they took debit cards but not credit cards.

But, I don't even carry my CU-issued debit card in my wallet. It is locked away safely at home.
Last edited by bertilak on Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
boosnark

Post by boosnark »

Someone used my debit card number for an unauthorized purchase online a few years ago. I was able to dispute it and get my money back after a brief bank investigation. My debit card had an MC logo so I guess that made a difference. It's very likely your debit card is either Visa or MC branded.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

ResearchMed wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:27 pm

Thanks.
I suggest getting that card/number cancelled *now*, and get a new one.

RM
Bingo!
Calico

Post by Calico »

It won't help with getting your money back (I don't think), but you should also report the site to the FTC. I know it's not there anymore, but it might help. Good luck! I hope you get your money back soon.
Topic Author
chocolatemuffin

Thanks for all the responses. One thing I wonder is that since I authorized the transaction myself, does that mean fraud protection no longer applies even though it turns out to be a scam website?
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

chocolatemuffin wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:55 pm Thanks for all the responses. One thing I wonder is that since I authorized the transaction myself, does that mean fraud protection no longer applies even though it turns out to be a scam website?
You need to call the card issuer and see what they say. Not much point pondering with us here.
Topic Author
chocolatemuffin

Marseille07 wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:56 pm
chocolatemuffin wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:55 pm Thanks for all the responses. One thing I wonder is that since I authorized the transaction myself, does that mean fraud protection no longer applies even though it turns out to be a scam website?
You need to call the card issuer and see what they say. Not much point pondering with us here.
I have talked to the card issuer and they are investigating the case. I just want to understand whether I have any legal rights in case they rejected my claim.
arcticpineapplecorp.

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. »

chocolatemuffin wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:58 pm
Marseille07 wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:56 pm
I have talked to the card issuer and they are investigating the case. I just want to understand whether I have any legal rights in case they rejected my claim.
the link mhalley provided tells you:
A debit card doesn’t have the same legal protections that a credit card does.

Here’s a look at the basic protections and consequences of what happens in cases of debit card fraud vs. credit card fraud, courtesy of the Federal Trade Commission.

Debit Card Fraud:

You’re responsible for a maximum of $50 of unauthorized transactions if you report the card as lost or stolen within two business days.
Didn’t report the fraud within two days? Your maximum burden goes up to $500 if someone uses your physical debit card without your permission — if you report the fraudulent charges within 60 days after your statement is mailed to you.
Didn’t make that 60-day window to report fraud? You face potential unlimited damage if someone uses your ATM or debit card without your permission.

Those are some pretty strict guidelines you have to meet for getting protection when you regularly use a debit card, right?

Contrast that with the level of protection you get when you use a credit card:

Credit Card Fraud:

You are not responsible for unauthorized charges under federal law if your credit card number is stolen.
You won’t be held liable for more than $50 in unauthorized charges if your actual card is stolen.

Clearly you get a lot more leeway when you use a credit card vs. a debit card!

source: https://clark.com/personal-finance-cred ... -card-pay/
It's hard to accept the truth when the lies were exactly what you wanted to hear. Investing is simple, but not easy. Buy, hold & rebalance low cost index funds & manage taxable events.
Barsoom

Post by Barsoom »

I have two credit cards and one debit card.

The debit card and one credit card are issued by my credit union where I do all my banking.

The other credit card is an old legacy card that was issued by a major department store and then transferred into a general purpose card decades ago. That is the card that I use for online purchases, because it is not connected to my credit union in any way.

-B
FIREchief

Post by FIREchief »

Did you enter your debit card pin?
I am not a lawyer, accountant or financial advisor. Any advice or suggestions that I may provide shall be considered for entertainment purposes only.
Brain

Post by Brain »

I had the same exact thing happen. I bought an item off this website and it never shipped and I never heard anything from the seller. I found the same email account listed as the POC for several shady-looking sites. They charged me two separate times for amounts that didn't equal the selling price separately or combined. That was my first red flag!

I used my PayPal MasterCard. It's technically a debit card linked to my PayPal account, but it acts like a credit card to outside merchants. I submitted disputes to PayPal about the charges about a week and a half after the sale, as I wanted to give the seller time to reply. It's been six weeks since I submitted the disputes. I haven't heard anything back from PayPal but they're still open.
Starfish

Post by Starfish »

Thanks.
Wait.. you put your DEBIT card number on the internet?
Is this at least a special account you use for internet transactions and keep empty otherwise?