What is the best 2% cash back credit card which is NOT the Citi Double Cash?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
interestediniras

What is the best 2% cash back credit card which is NOT the Citi Double Cash?

Post by interestediniras »

I typically use my Citi Double Cash for the 2% cash back (not interested in points and so on as I don't travel, or in the complexity of churning).

I've had multiple negative experiences. The Citi website often does not load properly. The card is declined for commonplace transactions due to their fraud protection system. Just now, I tried to make a $29.99 transaction with a vendor that I've previously purchased from before with the same card, and it was declined, and I didn't receive a fraud detection text. I attempted to log in, but the website gave me an error message. I attempted to call, but my calls were either randomly terminated or my account details were not locatable.

I am basically sick of this and would welcome suggestions for other cash back cards which are equally as good. Otherwise I may just settle for the 1% on my AmEx.

Edit: I have decided to go with the 1.5% cash back on the Amex Cash Magnet and eat the 0.5% difference for superior customer service. That being said, other suggestions still welcome... curious if Citi is as bad for others.
fujiters

Re: What is the best 2% cash back credit card which is NOT the Citi Double Cash?

Post by fujiters »

Highly recommend the BoA 2.62+% combo as described by Frugal Professor:

https://frugalprofessor.com/best-credit ... 9-edition/
“The purpose of the margin of safety is to render the forecast unnecessary.” -Benjamin Graham
Ragnoth

Re: What is the best 2% cash back credit card which is NOT the Citi Double Cash?

Post by Ragnoth »

fujiters wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 3:28 am Highly recommend the BoA 2.62+% combo as described by Frugal Professor:

This is what I use for general spending, and I would also highly recommend it. Only caveat is you need $100k worth of stock/ETFs that you can park at Merrill Edge.
Topic Author
interestediniras

Post by interestediniras »

Ragnoth wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 3:45 am
fujiters wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 3:28 am Highly recommend the BoA 2.62+% combo as described by Frugal Professor:

This is what I use for general spending, and I would also highly recommend it. Only caveat is you need $100k worth of stock/ETFs that you can park at Merrill Edge.
Thanks. This is interesting. Since I was already approved for the AmEx cashback, I will use that for now, but perhaps I will set up this BoA system when I have more time. Ultimately, my total spending is fairly low so bothering to get any cashback is more of an OCD exercise than it is a major value addition to my life. That being said, over 5% back on online purchases starts to get pretty meaningful.
anoop

Post by anoop »

I've also had many negative experiences with citi but have just stuck with them. If you have a fidelity account, then the fidelity 2% card would be a good option. It also has a low (1%) foreign transaction fee, unlike citi and amex that charge 3%.
Cyanide123

Post by Cyanide123 »

If you spend more than 20K per year, then 2.5% cash back alliant card is pretty good as well.

I probably spend > 50k on it so it's well worth the $100 annual fee.
Vulcan

Post by Vulcan »

+1 on Fidelity Visa Signature

As an added bonus, unlike Citi Double Cash, it still offers extended warranty, rental car insurance, and lost luggage reimbursement
If you torture the data long enough, it will confess to anything. ~Ronald Coase
RevFran

Post by RevFran »

I am platinum at BOA so use the BOA cash back for online purchases, and fidelity for everything else.
bling

Post by bling »

forgot to mention that 2.625% is the floor. 5.25% is the ceiling. "online" is a category. easily the best cashback credit card program and it's not even close.
uslee2004

Post by uslee2004 »

Vulcan wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:30 am +1 on Fidelity Visa Signature

As an added bonus, unlike Citi Double Cash, it still offers extended warranty, rental car insurance, and lost luggage reimbursement
+1 Fidelity Visa Signature.

We also use Priceline Visa which also gives 2%--more if redeems for travel expense.
uslee
midareff

Post by midareff »

another +1 on the Fidelity Visa 2% cash back card. Can even be set to auto pay your 2% monthly back to your Fidelity cash account and if you like, then transferred anywhere you want.
trigger08

Post by trigger08 »

Our main ones are the Fidelity 2% card (and the Citi Costco card for gas, dining, and travel). The Fidelity card couldn't be easier, the cashback just deposits into your Fidelity account once it reaches the threshold.
retired early&luv it

Post by retired early&luv it »

You said you already picked a card, I am only commenting because others may be interested.

I do not spend enough to make any card with an annual fee worth it.

I have the Chase Freedom Unlimited card and the BOA Travel Rewards cards. Both are 1.5 percent. Since you do not travel much, the BOA card would likely not work for you since it would be hard for you to get the rewards.

Also have other 1 percent cards too, but the 1.5 percent cards get most of my business.
MikeG62

Post by MikeG62 »

+1
Real Knowledge Comes Only From Experience
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

anoop wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 4:05 am I've also had many negative experiences with citi but have just stuck with them. If you have a fidelity account, then the fidelity 2% card would be a good option. It also has a low (1%) foreign transaction fee, unlike citi and amex that charge 3%.
I also have the Fidelity 2% card, and have been quite happy with it.

Regarding American Express, I don't know about the "regular" AmEx cards, but I have the Delta Skymiles Gold AmEx, and it does not have a foreign transaction fee.
There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way. (Christopher Morley)
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

I've never had a problem with my Citi 2% card, I just do limit use occasionally now that all the benefits (extended warranty, especially) have been cut.

I have a bunch of credit cards but spending has fallen since the pandemic, so the benefit of cash/points/miles is much less than before. Everyone seems agreed that in the best case there will be at least another year of pandemic-related restrictions. If it starts looking more like that may continue for many years going forward I'll probably drop the travel cards I pay for.

I also have the free Discover, Citi, and Chase cards with rotating categories, and do make use of those.

The BoA cards have too many hoops to jump through for me to justify the potentially greater benefits.
anoop

Post by anoop »

oldcomputerguy wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:13 am
anoop wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 4:05 am I've also had many negative experiences with citi but have just stuck with them. If you have a fidelity account, then the fidelity 2% card would be a good option. It also has a low (1%) foreign transaction fee, unlike citi and amex that charge 3%.
I also have the Fidelity 2% card, and have been quite happy with it.

Regarding American Express, I don't know about the "regular" AmEx cards, but I have the Delta Skymiles Gold AmEx, and it does not have a foreign transaction fee.
If it has an annual fee that would explain why it doesn’t have a foreign transaction fee. A number of travel cards with annual fees offer that.
Laundry_Service

Post by Laundry_Service »

I have the Bank of America 2.62% card and have given up everything except my Costco card which I would if a work card wasn't needed. FYI I recently purchased a $100 American Airlines gift card and was credited with the $100 per year airline incidentals credit. I can't guarantee it will work for you, but it did for me.
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

anoop wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:17 am
oldcomputerguy wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:13 am Regarding American Express, I don't know about the "regular" AmEx cards, but I have the Delta Skymiles Gold AmEx, and it does not have a foreign transaction fee.
If it has an annual fee that would explain why it doesn’t have a foreign transaction fee. A number of travel cards with annual fees offer that.
It indeed does, it's $95 a year.

I neglected to mention that I also have a 1.5% CapitalOne card (which is not quite what the OP asked about), it has no annual fee and no foreign transaction fee. I use it and the AmEx while travelling internationally, but otherwise I use the Fidelity card almost exclusively.
There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way. (Christopher Morley)
Svensk Anga

Post by Svensk Anga »

I am using a Synchrony MasterCard with 2% cash back. This was introduced about a year ago. Easier than setting up an account with Fidelity or BofA to get on their programs. It automatically credits the 2% on the monthly statement.

There are still enough places that do not take American Express that I would want to have another option. I think that AmEx charges the merchant higher fees that some decline to sign on for.
MBB_Boy

Post by MBB_Boy »

There's a 2% cashback Paypal Mastercard. Also no annual fee - I don't see a good reason to go with that 1.5% card like you're talking about. Fidelity and Paypal both have easy, no stress, no gimmick 2% back cards. In addition to the other things mentioned so far in thread (BOA system which requires some learning and probably multiple accounts, a few credit unions, etc)
RyeBourbon

Post by RyeBourbon »

MBB_Boy wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:49 am There's a 2% cashback Paypal Mastercard. Also no annual fee - I don't see a good reason to go with that 1.5% card like you're talking about. Fidelity and Paypal both have easy, no stress, no gimmick 2% back cards. In addition to the other things mentioned so far in thread (BOA system which requires some learning and probably multiple accounts, a few credit unions, etc)
I have the Paypal Cashback Mastercard and charge most of my monthly bills to it, very happy with it. I transfer the cashback to my Paypal account each month.
Retired June 2023. AA = 55/35/10
tashnewbie

Post by tashnewbie »

I have the Citi Double Cash card and have never had any issues (have had it 3 years).

I recently got approved for the Alliant Credit Union 2% cash back Visa (no annual fee).

If traveling internationally, I use the Capital One Quicksilver 1.5% cash back Visa (no annual fee and no foreign transaction fees).
decapod10

Post by decapod10 »

I like the BofA Premium Rewards card as well, but for OP specifically I might steer away. The number of transactions that get declined as fraudulent is much higher than any other card I've used in my experience. If you have a few charges close together, or if my wife and I the card around the same time, it often gets flagged.
WarAdmiral

Post by WarAdmiral »

midareff wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:01 am another +1 on the Fidelity Visa 2% cash back card. Can even be set to auto pay your 2% monthly back to your Fidelity cash account and if you like, then transferred anywhere you want.
+ 1 for Fidelity Visa 2% cash back card. I have the 2% go into my 529 account where it gets invested automatically for tax free withdrawal during college years. It's also on autopay. A nice Set it and forget it kind of deal.
HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch »

interestediniras wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 3:03 am ...The card is declined for commonplace transactions due to their fraud protection system. ...
+1 to Fidelity 2% VISA or BofA if you have Preferred status.

I just experienced a decline by Citi at an in-person local store today. It happens a couple times a year. Glad I had my Fidelity 2% VISA with me as a backup card. Interestingly, Citi’s fraud protection system did not detect two large fraudulent in-person charges simultaneously made in two states a couple months ago.
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

Fidelity 2%
JackoC

Post by JackoC »

I agree, if you have $100k to put at Merrill and don't mind getting and managing 3.5% (travel), 2.625% everything else ($95 annual fee, but $100 credit for airline incidentals) BOA Preferred Rewards plus 5.25% special category BOA Cash Rewards card(s), that combo dominates among cash back credit card systems AFAIK.

But for a simple no annual (or foreign transaction) fee, no limit 2% card I have a PenFed Visa (I opened it for a bonus, I use the BOA combo for normal CC spending). I don't recall particular problems with Citi Double with website or fraud protection but it's in a drawer now, whereas it was once our main card, because the BOA combo nets $100's more per year for us.
tashnewbie

Post by tashnewbie »

JackoC wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:21 pm But for a simple no annual (or foreign transaction) fee, no limit 2% card I have a PenFed Visa (I opened it for a bonus, I use the BOA combo for normal CC spending). I don't recall particular problems with Citi Double with website or fraud protection but it's in a drawer now, whereas it was once our main card, because the BOA combo nets $100's more per year for us.
This PenFed Visa would check a lot of boxes for me (0 annual fee, 0 foreign transaction fees, and 2% cash back). It appears it’s only available for current or retired military members or their family. I’m assuming you fall in that category? If not, please share how you were eligible.
Explorer

Post by Explorer »

Fidelity just dropped minimum redemption amount to $25 dollars from $50...which is good.

I also carry BofA Travel Rewards which gets me 2.62% cashback on travel related expenses (I am a preferred rewards member). But, travel related expenses have gone significantly down due to the pandemic. BofA has expanded other categories for redemption although not sure they will extend beyond new year.
tj

Post by tj »

tashnewbie wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:53 pm
JackoC wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:21 pm But for a simple no annual (or foreign transaction) fee, no limit 2% card I have a PenFed Visa (I opened it for a bonus, I use the BOA combo for normal CC spending). I don't recall particular problems with Citi Double with website or fraud protection but it's in a drawer now, whereas it was once our main card, because the BOA combo nets $100's more per year for us.
This PenFed Visa would check a lot of boxes for me (0 annual fee, 0 foreign transaction fees, and 2% cash back). It appears it’s only available for current or retired military members or their family. I’m assuming you fall in that category? If not, please share how you were eligible.
They're pretty clear about how you can qualify for the 2% card:

https://www.penfed.org/credit-cards/honors-advantage

If you meant membership in general, they seem to take anybody:

https://home.penfed.org/s/membership
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

There are quite a few 2% cash-back cards out there, the Citi Double Cash card is the only one I'm aware of that doesn't require having some other account/relationship with provider.

I use the Fidelity Rewards Visa 2% card, in combination with having a Fidelity CMA account (free).
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
JackoC

Post by JackoC »

Penfed in general is open to everyone. Now that you mention it though, that particular offer was a 2% card either for military/families or by also opening an Access America checking account, which at the time was also offering a bonus. Otherwise the card was available but only 1.5% cashback. This was some months ago, so I'm not sure the exact offer right now.
tashnewbie

Post by tashnewbie »

tj wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:03 pm
They're pretty clear about how you can qualify for the 2% card:

https://www.penfed.org/credit-cards/honors-advantage

If you meant membership in general, they seem to take anybody:

https://home.penfed.org/s/membership
Thanks for this! I should’ve done more digging.
tashnewbie

Post by tashnewbie »

JoMoney wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:08 pm There are quite a few 2% cash-back cards out there, the Citi Double Cash card is the only one I'm aware of that doesn't require having some other account/relationship with provider.

I use the Fidelity Rewards Visa 2% card, in combination with having a Fidelity CMA account (free).
From what I can tell, the Synchrony card doesn’t require any other account, but it looks like the card application is currently only available by invitation.
cockersx3

Post by cockersx3 »

Take a look at the Visa Signature card from Alliant Credit Union. Cash back of 2.5% on everything. There is a $99 annual fee which quickly pays for itself, but even the annual fee is waived for the first year. I have it and like it.
beyou

Post by beyou »

Former Citi employer here (from way back).
Have had Citi checking, mortgages and credit cards.
Hands down a terrible bank. Glad I left long ago.
Website is often down, and when up often features do not work well. CSR wait time is huge, only to get a person with fake English name in India who knows absolutely nothing at all.

I would never open another account or buy any new products from Citi. Hard to get rid of what I have due to inertia and fico scoring, but there is nothing they could sell me going forward.

Long time Amex customer, they are the best and the acceptance thing is a past problem in US. It’s about as widely accepted as any other card....in the US. Not so outside US.
Last edited by beyou on Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

I switched from the Citi to Fidelity - recommend it.
Had similar poor experiences with Citi (worse was being denied due to fraud detection then having the charge show up anyway - denied the dispute and cost me $99).
Recommend the Fidelity 2% back card (its an Elan Financial card)
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

seems like there's 100s of this exact same thread
CascadiaSoonish

Post by CascadiaSoonish »

Is the Fidelity card still managed by Elan? I haven't had an Elan card since college. Got the Fidelity card and immediately ran into fraudulent charge issues, billing/payment issues, and poor customer service. Closed the account after a couple months. 2% wasn't worth it when I was having to call them regularly to straighten out issues.
RudyS

Post by RudyS »

A regular BofA card is not too bad if you don't spend a lot of money.

3%on Online Shopping (choice category , changeable by customer)
2%at grocery stores and wholesale clubs
1%on all other purchases
3% and 2% cash back on the first $2,500 in combined choice category/grocery store/wholesale club purchases each quarter; then earn 1%.
ThereAreNoGurus

Post by ThereAreNoGurus »

I've been with Citi since forever.

I too detest their website and phone app. Too many complaints to elaborate here.

Whoever's in charge of their IT should be shot or fired.

On the other hand:

The card itself hasn't caused me any grief... yet.

I do like the fact I can get rid of bogus claims online without talking to anybody. Done it a couple of times and it has worked flawlessly.

I'd switch to Fidelity, but too lazy to unfreeze my credit so I can pass the credit check for their CC/CMA account.
Trade the news and you will lose.
khram

Post by khram »

I agree about Citi. Every time I enter my login info on Chrome, it redirects me to the login page. If I'm lucky, I can get in after 10 tries. So I have to use Firefox specifically for their website. It sucks.

But I haven't cancelled the card. I did get annoyed enough to cancel the AA card I had with them. But I was concerned about whether the airline might go under at the time, and I was coming up on the 1-year anniversary, so wanted to opt out of the annual fee anyway (could have downgraded to the free card though). It is super easy to handle fraud cases with Citi without spending an hour on the phone, as the previous poster said.

I like the Fidelity card. Some people complain that rewards have to go to a Fidelity account. But that can be their cash management checking account, so it's okay. They also gave me a much higher credit limit than Citi, for whatever that's worth.

Although one time my Fidelity card got compromised, and when I reported the fraud, it wouldn't let me look at statements until I called them and followed up on the incident so they could unlock my account. Which meant I was unable to tell the guy on the phone the last time I had made a charge on the card, or whatever info he wanted. Pretty bad tech in that situation, but mostly they've been okay.

I do think I spend far too much time thinking about how to optimize for rewards, compared to what I actually get. I don't spend that much money so I just won't make much in rewards. Going with a 2% vs. a 1.5% just won't make a meaningful difference in my life. I'm not a big churner, but I think the biggest bang for my buck is just to get a miles card every couple years for a bonus that pays for an international flight. That's not insubstantial.

Since COVID has started, a lot (not all) of my groceries have come from Amazon Fresh, so I guess 5% on that counts for something. But that (and probably all of my credit card rewards combined) is negated by the tips anyway. Unless I buy less junk if I shop online. But time has value too, and this has allowed me to get rid of my car, which saves a good bucket of money.
beyou

Post by beyou »

Not to mention avoidance of a deadly virus.
rob

Post by rob »

I have had some Fidelity 2% cards so long now but they are just ticking away... no fees no mess, credit to 529 plan or brokerage acct.
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien
LilyFleur

Post by LilyFleur »

No problems with Citi.
classicindexer

Post by classicindexer »

CascadiaSoonish wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:25 pm Is the Fidelity card still managed by Elan? I haven't had an Elan card since college. Got the Fidelity card and immediately ran into fraudulent charge issues, billing/payment issues, and poor customer service. Closed the account after a couple months. 2% wasn't worth it when I was having to call them regularly to straighten out issues.
Yes it is. We have had the card for 4 months and have had no issues with it. Monthly cashback rewards auto-redemption into our Fidelity account is great. DW and I like that it can be a true "joint" card so DW can see the card activity in the Fidelity app/online access. Many other credit cards are authorized user only, and authorized users cannot get online/mobile access to the card.
Cycle

Post by Cycle »

I had fidelity 2%, but after reading about BOA strategy in this thread with merrill edge, I opened a checking account and transferred some index funds from vanguard to merrill.

$600 transfer bonus for $200k.

Now I wait 90 days till I qualify for 'Platinum Honors' at which point I can get the 2.6-5.25% cash back.

Quite a few hoops, but this is THE best cash back outside of churning bonuses. I'm currently blocked from using chase and amex due to churning.
Never look back unless you are planning to go that way
tj

Post by tj »

Cycle wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 2:31 pm I had fidelity 2%, but after reading about BOA strategy in this thread with merrill edge, I opened a checking account and transferred some index funds from vanguard to merrill.

$600 transfer bonus for $200k.

Now I wait 90 days till I qualify for 'Platinum Honors' at which point I can get the 2.6-5.25% cash back.

Quite a few hoops, but this is THE best cash back outside of churning bonuses. I'm currently blocked from using chase and amex due to churning.
I would agree, the BofA combo is second to none.