H&R Block 2020 software offer

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
indexinvestor101

Re: H&R Block 2020 software offer

Post by indexinvestor101 »

LadyGeek wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:31 am The links are customized for your purchase, so there's nothing to post.

I assume you got an email titled "It's time to download your H&R Block 2020 Deluxe Federal + State". The download link is a green button "Download program".

The link under the green button is Additional Installation Help.
here is how email looks like. it does not have download link. i wonder why download of software is specific to buyer since activation code is needed anyways.
Hi xxxx, thanks for buying H&R Block Tax Software!

Your activation code is xxxx.

Install your software, then enter your activation code on the Activate and Register Your Software screen.
Your activation code lets you redeem five free e-filed returns.
Your unlock code is xxxxx. Use this and the activation code to reinstall H&R Block 2020 Deluxe Federal on your computer if needed.
To buy and prepare state returns, choose the State tab in your software program. To buy state e-file, choose the File tab.

Your Purchase Details

Name: xxx
Address: xx
xxx
Product: H&R Block 2020 Deluxe Federal
Backup CD: NO
H&R Block Tax Identity Shield: NO
Credit card:
xxxxxxxxxxxx

Price: $14.95
Sales tax: $1.23
Total: $16.18
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

That's a different email than I have. Did you create an online H&R Block account? If so, I'm betting you can download the software from there.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
indexinvestor101

indexinvestor101 wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:43 am
LadyGeek wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:31 am The links are customized for your purchase, so there's nothing to post.

I assume you got an email titled "It's time to download your H&R Block 2020 Deluxe Federal + State". The download link is a green button "Download program".

The link under the green button is Additional Installation Help.
here is how email looks like. it does not have download link. i wonder why download of software is specific to buyer since activation code is needed anyways.
Hi xxxx, thanks for buying H&R Block Tax Software!

Your activation code is xxxx.

Install your software, then enter your activation code on the Activate and Register Your Software screen.
Your activation code lets you redeem five free e-filed returns.
Your unlock code is xxxxx. Use this and the activation code to reinstall H&R Block 2020 Deluxe Federal on your computer if needed.
To buy and prepare state returns, choose the State tab in your software program. To buy state e-file, choose the File tab.

Your Purchase Details

Name: xxx
Address: xx
xxx
Product: H&R Block 2020 Deluxe Federal
Backup CD: NO
H&R Block Tax Identity Shield: NO
Credit card:
xxxxxxxxxxxx

Price: $14.95
Sales tax: $1.23
Total: $16.18
found out solution to the above.

Go to the purchase website(https://gethrblock.com/rasp) and click 'support'. Then choose new computer installation. enter the unlock code and activation code from your email. this will download installer.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

indexinvestor101 wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:12 pm Go to the purchase website(https://gethrblock.com/rasp) and click 'support'. Then choose new computer installation. enter the unlock code and activation code from your email. this will download installer.
Good info, thanks! Unfortunately, you need to be on a Windows or Mac computer to see the page. I'm in Linux and get a "Your device is not supported" error. My guess is that anyone viewing the site from a different operating system needs more help than they can supply. :)
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
indexinvestor101

haha. the only time i have to dust up my windows computer :)
ncbill

Post by ncbill »

Just wanted to thank everyone for the links...got my Deluxe Federal & State for under $25 including tax (plus 20% bonus to my Amazon store card)

One might save an additional $5 by waiting until next year, but the above was cheap enough for me.
minesweep
Location: 27,000 light years from the Galactic Center of the Milky Way Galaxy (the suburbs)

Post by minesweep »

I will be preparing federal tax returns for myself, brother & sister (our state has a tax filing system). The current price (federal only) at Amazon for H&R Block is $19.99. I was under assumption that would be for only one federal tax return filing. But I checked the question & answer section and found the following reply to a question that was just posted today.:

Question: What will I need to do to submit my taxes when using this software and will this be a 1 time usage?

Answer: After you complete your tax return, the software comes with a code that you can use for up to 5 electronic returns.

A. C. · December 31, 2020
Time is your friend; impulse is your enemy - John Bogle | Learn every day, but especially from the experiences of others, it's cheaper! - John Bogle
dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron »

minesweep wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:06 pm I will be preparing federal tax returns for myself, brother & sister (our state has a tax filing system). The current price (federal only) at Amazon for H&R Block is $19.99. I was under assumption that would be for only one federal tax return filing. But I checked the question & answer section and found the following reply to a question that was just posted today.:

Question: What will I need to do to submit my taxes when using this software and will this be a 1 time usage?

Answer: After you complete your tax return, the software comes with a code that you can use for up to 5 electronic returns.

Yes, that is correct IF you buy the download version of the software. (If you purchase the online version, you pay each time you efile.)

The download version is particularly a bargain for folks like you who prepare several returns for family members.
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

minesweep wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:06 pm I will be preparing federal tax returns for myself, brother & sister (our state has a tax filing system). The current price (federal only) at Amazon for H&R Block is $19.99. I was under assumption that would be for only one federal tax return filing. But I checked the question & answer section and found the following reply to a question that was just posted today.:

Yes it's always 5 federal returns filed, and 0 or 1 state. You can run as many federal returns as you want (I usually do 10-20), but you can only e-file 5 of them.
minesweep
Location: 27,000 light years from the Galactic Center of the Milky Way Galaxy (the suburbs)

Post by minesweep »

dodecahedron wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:30 pm

Yes, that is correct IF you buy the download version of the software. (If you purchase the online version, you pay each time you efile.)

The download version is particularly a bargain for folks like you who prepare several returns for family members.
Last year I used their CD version. It was around this same price. I read somewhere that because of the environmental impact concerns they were moving to the software downloads for customers. Although the CD was still available for an extra fee. I'll forgo that option and take this offer instead.
Time is your friend; impulse is your enemy - John Bogle | Learn every day, but especially from the experiences of others, it's cheaper! - John Bogle
criticalmass

Post by criticalmass »

CABob wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:18 pm End of the year must be approaching. I just received my first email offering H&R Block software for $34.95. IIRC I bought last years software for much less than that around Black Friday. I think I'll wait a while before buying.
NewEgg is currently selling H&R Block Deluxe + State for $21.50 with coupon code EMCGFFR62. Use a cashback website for additional savings. Options include Windows and Mac download, or purchase a physical copy (warning it may be a physical card that entitles a download).

The after New Years Day sale matches the lowest price available so far (previously in mid-December) for Deluxe + State. It was also available at a higher price ($22.50) for Black Friday and Cyber Monday at NewEgg, Amazon, and Walmart.

Other H&R Block Tax Software options on sale:
  • H&R Block Premium (Windows/Mac/Download): $29.99
  • H&R Block Premium & Business Small Business Owners: $37.49
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I got an email yesterday stating that the PA state return was available for download. I installed the state.

In Windows, open a return (or start a new return), then select Tools --> Get State Program

=======================
Tax form release dates are now showing online. Federal Form Updates for Tax Preparation Software

Links to the state and business tax form release dates are here: Download Tax Software Back Editions & Updates. The state is "2021 Coming Soon", business is "2020 Coming Soon" (yes, it says 2020).
finite_difference

Post by finite_difference »

criticalmass wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:40 am
CABob wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:18 pm End of the year must be approaching. I just received my first email offering H&R Block software for $34.95. IIRC I bought last years software for much less than that around Black Friday. I think I'll wait a while before buying.
NewEgg is currently selling H&R Block Deluxe + State for $21.50 with coupon code EMCGFFR62. Use a cashback website for additional savings. Options include Windows and Mac download, or purchase a physical copy (warning it may be a physical card that entitles a download).

The after New Years Day sale matches the lowest price available so far (previously in mid-December) for Deluxe + State. It was also available at a higher price ($22.50) for Black Friday and Cyber Monday at NewEgg, Amazon, and Walmart.

Other H&R Block Tax Software options on sale:
  • H&R Block Premium (Windows/Mac/Download): $29.99
  • H&R Block Premium & Business Small Business Owners: $37.49
Thanks for posting, but darn just missed this one.

Best deal I can currently find is about $44 for Premium.
The most precious gift we can offer anyone is our attention. - Thich Nhat Hanh
random_walker_77

Post by random_walker_77 »

finite_difference wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:45 pm Thanks for posting, but darn just missed this one.

Well, Premium is now down to $27. Business for $36.
Deluxe Tax + State for $18, and Deluxe for $15

https://slickdeals.net/f/14767309-h-r-b ... 8-more?v=1
marklar13

Post by marklar13 »

Good find, thanks!
random_walker_77 wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:38 pm

Kevin M

Post by Kevin M »

random_walker_77 wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:38 pm Well, Premium is now down to $27. Business for $36.

Thanks! Just ordered deluxe + state.

Kevin
If I make a calculation error, #Cruncher probably will let me know.
LLeaff

Post by LLeaff »

Kevin M wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:29 pm
random_walker_77 wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:38 pm Well, Premium is now down to $27. Business for $36.

Thanks! Just ordered deluxe + state.

Kevin
+1
criticalmass

Post by criticalmass »

January 12 is very close to the date last year for the lowest H&R Block Price.
I recommend purchasing this deal if you want 2020 H&R Block software.
fyre4ce

Post by fyre4ce »

D'oh. I just bought the most expensive (with Business) last night for $80 I think. Do I have any recourse?
boglegirl

Post by boglegirl »

random_walker_77 wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:38 pm ...

Brilliant, thank you! I've been using HR Block for several years and $18 is the cheapest I've ever paid for the fed/state combo.
finite_difference

fyre4ce wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:37 pm D'oh. I just bought the most expensive (with Business) last night for $80 I think. Do I have any recourse?
You can try to return it or cancel the order. If it works, then you can buy this one.
finite_difference

random_walker_77 wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:38 pm
finite_difference wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:45 pm Thanks for posting, but darn just missed this one.

Thank you! I paid double last year.
Almost there

Post by Almost there »

tfb wrote:
They have the same "save $5 before exit" hidden deal on this special site. After the page loads, let it sit for some seconds. Now move your mouse toward closing the tab but don't close it yet. A "wait, save $5" offer will pop up. Accept the offer, and now add the product to cart. You will see the $5 off in the cart.
Thanks for the heads up. Just purchased it and saved $5.00
mikep

Post by mikep »

$22.50 on amazon today for Deluxe + State, incase anyone missed the earlier deals like me.
Edit: + tax since they have to ship you a tangible item, printed download code, rather than download directly. :annoyed
Last edited by mikep on Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kevin M

Post by Kevin M »

I may have to buy software for a second state this year. Has anyone ever seen deals on this? Otherwise, just the second state will be more than twice what I paid for deluxe fed + state.

Kevin
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

Kevin M wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:22 pm I may have to buy software for a second state this year. Has anyone ever seen deals on this? Otherwise, just the second state will be more than twice what I paid for deluxe fed + state.

Kevin
Just buy a second package if it's cheaper, if you have a second computer to install it on, and can import your fed return data file from the first computer?
student

Post by student »

mikep wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:09 pm $22.50 on amazon today for Deluxe + State, incase anyone missed the earlier deals like me.
Thanks.
Kevin M

Post by Kevin M »

nalor511 wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:34 pm
Kevin M wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:22 pm I may have to buy software for a second state this year. Has anyone ever seen deals on this? Otherwise, just the second state will be more than twice what I paid for deluxe fed + state.

Kevin
Just buy a second package if it's cheaper, if you have a second computer to install it on, and can import your fed return data file from the first computer?
That's a great idea! If it will work. I'll see if I can do some experiments to give me confidence that it will work.

Kevin
pochax

PSA: H&R Block Tax Software Deluxe plus state $22.50 on Amazon

Post by pochax »

was waiting for the price to drop and just noted it finally dropped (usually ~$30+).
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08L9 ... UTF8&psc=1

not sure the other versions (premium and basic) are on sale as well, but YMMV.
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

Kevin M wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:52 pm

Kevin
That's a great idea! If it will work. I'll see if I can do some experiments to give me confidence that it will work.

Kevin
I've done it, worked for me, just copied over my data file and double clicked it, opened right up, clicked state, chose, download, install, prepare, voila
dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron »

nalor511 wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:05 pm

Kevin

Kevin
I've done it, worked for me, just copied over my data file and double clicked it, opened right up, clicked state, chose, download, install, prepare, voila
Two possible problems I can see. Sometimes state returns interact with one another (e.g., your resident state may give you tax credits for taxes you paid to another state.) Also, your states might or might not permit stand-alone efiles. (The latter, of course, is not a problem if you plan to paper-file one or both state returns.)
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

dodecahedron wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:41 pm

Kevin

Kevin
Two possible problems I can see. Sometimes state returns interact with one another (e.g., your resident state may give you tax credits for taxes you paid to another state.) Also, your states might or might not permit stand-alone efiles. (The latter, of course, is not a problem if you plan to paper-file one or both state returns.)
That's true, I paper file state rather than pay the extra efile fee. Interactions could probably be handled in each state return separately
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

I have used both H&R Black and Turbo Tax and for the most part both are excellent choices.

A few years ago, www.freetaxusa.com was recommended. Federal preparation and e-filing is free. Only the state involves a fee (approximately $13.00). This is an excellent alternative as well to consider.

Best.
Tony
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

abuss368 wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:49 pm I have used both H&R Black and Turbo Tax and for the most part both are excellent choices.

A few years ago, www.freetaxusa.com was recommended. Federal preparation and e-filing is free. Only the state involves a fee (approximately $13.00). This is an excellent alternative as well to consider.

Best.
Tony
Ftusa doesn't let you see/edit/mock up raw forms prior to filing.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

nalor511 wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:01 pm
abuss368 wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:49 pm I have used both H&R Black and Turbo Tax and for the most part both are excellent choices.

Best.
Tony
Ftusa doesn't let you see/edit/mock up raw forms prior to filing.
I have used it for a rough mock up and draft each fall for projection purposes (where I am going to end the year).

Tony
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
mikep

Post by mikep »

Newegg has the $16.99 deal back for Deluxe/State.
https://slickdeals.net/f/14800213-h-r-b ... 2_97862650

Amazon accepted my return to drop off at UPS store, a physical piece of paper with an activation code. I didn't activate it yet so I'll order from newegg and return to amazon.
Tejfyy

Post by Tejfyy »

I'm using Premium and finding it doesn't handle PTC repayment that needs to be calculated as self-employment health insurance deductions. I may go into the forms themselves and recalculate manually or get a tax person to help with this conundrum.
https://insuremekevin.com/irs-2019-hea ... ciliation/
ncbill

Post by ncbill »

mikep wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:13 am Newegg has the $16.99 deal back for Deluxe/State.
https://slickdeals.net/f/14800213-h-r-b ... 2_97862650

Amazon accepted my return to drop off at UPS store, a physical piece of paper with an activation code. I didn't activate it yet so I'll order from newegg and return to amazon.
Bought Premium Business from Newegg (under $40 after tax w/ promo code) to prepare Form 1041 & noticed it installs Premium (including one state) & Business as two separate programs.
Kevin M

Post by Kevin M »

Kevin

Kevin
Thanks for the update. A few clarifying questions.

So you copied the data file from one computer to another, then installed the 2nd state on the 2nd computer?

Had you installed the first state on the first computer yet?

I notice that installing state creates a state folder in the program files folder tree. I wonder if you copy the state program folder tree back to the first computer if it would work, and if then both first and second state would then work on the first computer? Or might there be some registry entries that are required as well?

Thanks,

Kevin
Kevin M

Post by Kevin M »

At any rate, I just bought a second copy of deluxe + state using the NewEgg deal for $16.99. Another benefit is an additional 5 free federal e-files (I do more than five returns).

Kevin
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

Kevin M wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:36 pm

Kevin

Kevin
Thanks for the update. A few clarifying questions.

So you copied the data file from one computer to another, then installed the 2nd state on the 2nd computer?

+++Yup

Had you installed the first state on the first computer yet?

+++Yup, but the 2nd computer did not have a state installed when I first opened up the data file, it then had to download a (new) state and prep the state return. I don't know what's in the data file as far as state data, but I suspect that if state1 is not present it probably just ignores s1 and stores state2

I notice that installing state creates a state folder in the program files folder tree. I wonder if you copy the state program folder tree back to the first computer if it would work, and if then both first and second state would then work on the first computer? Or might there be some registry entries that are required as well?

+++I did not even think to try this, but ya could. I was fine to use two computers and not risk invalidating something

Thanks,

Kevin
Replied inline
Kevin M

Post by Kevin M »

Since buying the 2nd copy delivers the same installation EXE file, I wonder if just copying the original EXE file to 2nd computer and installing would allow installing the 2nd state on the 2nd computer. I realize that one would not receive a 2nd activation key, but the activation key only is required to efile and print returns, I believe.

Since I already bought the 2nd copy, I won't bother trying this though.

Kevin
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

Kevin M wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:46 pm Since buying the 2nd copy delivers the same installation EXE file, I wonder if just copying the original EXE file to 2nd computer and installing would allow installing the 2nd state on the 2nd computer. I realize that one would not receive a 2nd activation key, but the activation key only is required to efile and print returns, I believe.

Kevin
Maybe. It definitely uses your key when downloading state, because if you only pay for fed it wants a credit card payment to download state
Kevin M

Post by Kevin M »

nalor511 wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:49 pm
Kevin M wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:46 pm Since buying the 2nd copy delivers the same installation EXE file, I wonder if just copying the original EXE file to 2nd computer and installing would allow installing the 2nd state on the 2nd computer. I realize that one would not receive a 2nd activation key, but the activation key only is required to efile and print returns, I believe.

Kevin
Maybe. It definitely uses your key when downloading state, because if you only pay for fed it wants a credit card payment to download state
I didn't enter the activation code after installing 2nd copy on 2nd computer (selected, "I'll enter it later"), and it installed 2nd state just fine. I assume the EXE file is different for fed+state and just fed.

Another note. My data file is on a shared drive accessed by both computers, so I didn't even copy the data file to second computer. The return of interest just appeared in the program on 2nd computer, and then I went to state, clicked on "Buy state", and downloaded the 2nd state (for free). Then opened the file on the first computer, on which I had already installed the first state (for a different return), but hadn't yet started working on it for the return of interest, and I was able to simply click "Prepare state" for the first state.

In terms of integration, the 2nd state provides a tax credit for tax paid to the 1st state. Last year I did some returns that worked the other way, and I prepared the 2nd state returns manually, then simply entered the appropriate numbers into the 1st state returns for the credits. So I'm not worried about this part.

I would have purchased the state software for the 2nd state last year (since others would have paid for it), but the HRB software for that particular state didn't support non-resident returns. Fortunately doing the returns manually was quite straightforward, but software would have simplified the data entry.

Kevin
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

Kevin M wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:35 pm
nalor511 wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:49 pm

Kevin
I didn't enter the activation code after installing 2nd copy on 2nd computer (selected, "I'll enter it later"), and it installed 2nd state just fine. I assume the EXE file is different for fed+state and just fed.

Another note. My data file is on a shared drive accessed by both computers, so I didn't even copy the data file to second computer. The return of interest just appeared in the program on 2nd computer, and then I went to state, clicked on "Buy state", and downloaded the 2nd state (for free). Then opened the file on the first computer, on which I had already installed the first state (for a different return), but hadn't yet started working on it for the return of interest, and I was able to simply click "Prepare state" for the first state.

In terms of integration, the 2nd state provides a tax credit for tax paid to the 1st state. Last year I did some returns that worked the other way, and I prepared the 2nd state returns manually, then simply entered the appropriate numbers into the 1st state returns for the credits. So I'm not worried about this part.

I would have purchased the state software for the 2nd state last year (since others would have paid for it), but the HRB software for that particular state didn't support non-resident returns. Fortunately doing the returns manually was quite straightforward, but software would have simplified the data entry.

Kevin
Awesome, sounds like it worked out pretty well for you, glad to hear it
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

For anyone interested that hasn't bought yet they have the H&R Block Deluxe+state for $17 at Circuit City online.
Topic Author
CABob

Post by CABob »

michaeljc70 wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:55 pm For anyone interested that hasn't bought yet they have the H&R Block Deluxe+state for $17 at Circuit City online.
Thanks for the information. I don't need it but the reference to Circuit City is a blast from the past. Didn't know they still existed.
Bob
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

CABob wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:56 pm
michaeljc70 wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:55 pm For anyone interested that hasn't bought yet they have the H&R Block Deluxe+state for $17 at Circuit City online.
Thanks for the information. I don't need it but the reference to Circuit City is a blast from the past. Didn't know they still existed.
Exactly what I thought. I haven't heard anything about Circuit City for probably 20 years.
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

Got a 50% off H&R Block email today....I don't need it but anyone still shopping....

https://www.hrblock.com/tax-software/de ... -software/
rws70

Post by rws70 »

EagleTom wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:31 pm I just bought that newegg offer also for the Deluxe+State. Thanks for that link!

The 2019 version wasn't supported on Win7 either but it worked (I had checked with their support line and was told it was not supported by HR Block because Microsoft was stopping its support but it would work). I am expecting the same situation this year. I'll let you know if I have a problem with this new version on my Win7 system.
Hi EagleTom,
I love Windows 7 and HR Block tax software. Did you find out if 2020 version will still run on Windows 7?

Many Thanks!