Citibank Virtual Account Numbers (VAN) going away?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Post Reply
User avatar
Topic Author
samsoes
Posts: 1545
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:12 am

Citibank Virtual Account Numbers (VAN) going away?

Post by samsoes »

Hi folks, I have an Citibank MasterCard (American Airlines rewards), which is my oldest card, having it since 1995. I have always made use of the Virtual Account Number (VAN) feature which allows one to generate an account number with a very low credit limit which expires in one month. These have come in very handy over the years when ordering things from online sites which aren't well-known, and have been quite effective guarding against recurring charges.

Recently, Citibank sent me a new card, with greatly excited language saying it now works with contact-less terminals. Ok, good. But they also changed my account number. The first four digits are now 5254 rather than 5466. (The account numbers have always started with 5466, even with replacement cards the few times I've misplaced my card and needed a new number.)

I noticed yesterday that the VAN feature no longer works. The error message is, "We're sorry, your account is not eligible for this feature..."

Also, when I attempted to update its account number on my local B&M bank's bill-pay service, the B&M bank said the 5254 account number was invalid for the merchant (Citibank credit cards). I now have to authorize Citibank to "pull" my payment (hate that!), or mail a check.

Has anyone else encountered these problems? (Yes, I know I can call, but the telephone wait times are unbearable these days.)

Thanks!
"Happiness Is Not My Companion" - Gen. Gouverneur K. Warren. | (Avatar is the statue of Gen. Warren atop Little Round Top @ Gettysburg National Military Park.)
mkc
Posts: 453
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:59 pm

Re: Citibank Virtual Account Numbers (VAN) going away?

Post by mkc »

I can still access VAN if I sign in to our Citibank account, but the downloaded/desktop version has apparently been disabled.
student
Posts: 5382
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:58 am

Re: Citibank Virtual Account Numbers (VAN) going away?

Post by student »

I have a feeling that they are phasing it out like other banks. The web version requires flash and flash is going away soon.
User avatar
Topic Author
samsoes
Posts: 1545
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:12 am

Re: Citibank Virtual Account Numbers (VAN) going away?

Post by samsoes »

mkc wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:11 pm I can still access VAN if I sign in to our Citibank account, but the downloaded/desktop version has apparently been disabled.
I was able to access the VAN (website only) feature using my old 5466 account until it was replaced -- without my asking -- with the 5254 account.

Do you have a new, recently-issued number?
"Happiness Is Not My Companion" - Gen. Gouverneur K. Warren. | (Avatar is the statue of Gen. Warren atop Little Round Top @ Gettysburg National Military Park.)
tashnewbie
Posts: 1359
Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:44 pm

Re: Citibank Virtual Account Numbers (VAN) going away?

Post by tashnewbie »

student wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:14 pm I have a feeling that they are phasing it out like other banks. The web version requires flash and flash is going away soon.
I'm still able to access VANs from the web version, but like the user above said, Flash is going away soon (I think the end of this year). Unknown what Citibank will do, if anything, after that time. I didn't realize other banks were phasing it out. As far as I know, it's still available on my Capital One Quicksilver card.

ETA: I have a 5424 account.
student
Posts: 5382
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:58 am

Re: Citibank Virtual Account Numbers (VAN) going away?

Post by student »

tashnewbie wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:39 pm
student wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:14 pm I have a feeling that they are phasing it out like other banks. The web version requires flash and flash is going away soon.
I'm still able to access VANs from the web version, but like the user above said, Flash is going away soon (I think the end of this year). Unknown what Citibank will do, if anything, after that time. I didn't realize other banks were phasing it out. As far as I know, it's still available on my Capital One Quicksilver card.

ETA: I have a 5424 account.
Discover, Bank of America and AMEX have already discontinued it. I think AMEX was the first to introduce it around 2000 (https://abcnews.go.com/Business/story?id=89386&page=1) but it was also the first to discontinue it. These days maybe it is no longer needed. I like to use it if I buy from small merchants that I order for the first time. I was considering cancelling my capital one card. Now that you have reminded me that virtual number is available there, maybe I should keep it.
mkc
Posts: 453
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:59 pm

Re: Citibank Virtual Account Numbers (VAN) going away?

Post by mkc »

samsoes wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:36 pm

Do you have a new, recently-issued number?
No - have had this card number for a quite a while now (and been a cardholder since 1990).

Capital One's solution is the Eno extension for Chrome (and variants) browser.
Laren
Posts: 79
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:06 am

Re: Citibank Virtual Account Numbers (VAN) going away?

Post by Laren »

Paypal is rolling out a virtual account number feature called "Paypal Key". I don't think it's available everywhere yet and I haven't tried it, but it might be an option to replace regular credit card virtual numbers. I think Paypal's virtual numbers are Mastercard ones, and can use whatever paypal payment methods you already have (credit card, paypal balance, bank account). Might be worth a try if you don't mind using Paypal.
User avatar
Oicuryy
Posts: 1554
Joined: Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:29 pm

Re: Citibank Virtual Account Numbers (VAN) going away?

Post by Oicuryy »

I was worried that Citi's virtual account numbers would go away when flash went away at the end of the year. So I was relieved to see they had recently changed the web version to not use flash. Now I'm worried again. Mine still works, for now.

Ron
Money is fungible | Abbreviations and Acronyms
mkc
Posts: 453
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:59 pm

Re: Citibank Virtual Account Numbers (VAN) going away?

Post by mkc »

Laren wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:30 pm Paypal is rolling out a virtual account number feature called "Paypal Key". I don't think it's available everywhere yet and I haven't tried it, but it might be an option to replace regular credit card virtual numbers.
Having been through a merchant issue where Paypal was the payment "processor" yet the ultimate payment method was via credit card, I will not use PayPal unless there is absolutely no way to pay by credit card directly. I have no confidence in their buyer protection.
User avatar
beyou
Posts: 3635
Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:57 pm
Location: Northeastern US

Re: Citibank Virtual Account Numbers (VAN) going away?

Post by beyou »

I do not see virtual numbers on the Citi app.
I have used this on the website before and found it useful for online transactions where there is concern about the site. I like the idea in concept but in reality did not use regularly. Probably too few did use this.
User avatar
sarabayo
Posts: 416
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:59 pm

Re: Citibank Virtual Account Numbers (VAN) going away?

Post by sarabayo »

If I understand correctly what Citibank VAN is/was, then Privacy.com may be one way to replace it. When using their cards you'll miss out on cash back, points, etc. though.
User avatar
CardinalRule
Posts: 590
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:01 am
Location: United States

Re: Citibank Virtual Account Numbers (VAN) going away?

Post by CardinalRule »

It is not something that I have used a lot, but I noticed that the downloadable program didn't work recently. However, I was able to get a number on the website for an "automatic billing" online transaction.

Citi seems to still be marketing the feature, at least for now, but it's clear that not all cards offer it:

https://www.cardbenefits.citi.com/Produ ... nt-Numbers

I have a Citi Rewards+ Mastercard.
tashnewbie
Posts: 1359
Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:44 pm

Re: Citibank Virtual Account Numbers (VAN) going away?

Post by tashnewbie »

beyou wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:56 pm I do not see virtual numbers on the Citi app.
You can't get VANs on the Citi app. I don't know if it was ever a feature of the app.
tashnewbie
Posts: 1359
Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:44 pm

Re: Citibank Virtual Account Numbers (VAN) going away?

Post by tashnewbie »

Oicuryy wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:14 pm I was worried that Citi's virtual account numbers would go away when flash went away at the end of the year. So I was relieved to see they had recently changed the web version to not use flash. Now I'm worried again. Mine still works, for now.

Ron
Thanks for pointing this out. I hadn't noticed that the web version no longer uses Flash. I expect this means they will probably continue to provide VANs after the end of the year. Time will tell. I also see that the downloadable version is no longer available.
User avatar
galawdawg
Posts: 2066
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:59 pm
Location: Georgia

Re: Citibank Virtual Account Numbers (VAN) going away?

Post by galawdawg »

Citibank has never offered a VAN feature on their app (although it would be a great feature to add). The downloadable VAN software no longer functions.

However, the website VAN feature still works.
acegolfer
Posts: 2443
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:40 am

Re: Citibank Virtual Account Numbers (VAN) going away?

Post by acegolfer »

tashnewbie wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:55 am
Oicuryy wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:14 pm I was worried that Citi's virtual account numbers would go away when flash went away at the end of the year. So I was relieved to see they had recently changed the web version to not use flash. Now I'm worried again. Mine still works, for now.

Ron
Thanks for pointing this out. I hadn't noticed that the web version no longer uses Flash. I expect this means they will probably continue to provide VANs after the end of the year. Time will tell. I also see that the downloadable version is no longer available.
I think he's mistaken. I used web VAN a few days ago. I had to enable flash in the browser (but didn't require installing flash player).

UPDATE: I checked again. Didn't need to enable flash.
Last edited by acegolfer on Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
tashnewbie
Posts: 1359
Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:44 pm

Re: Citibank Virtual Account Numbers (VAN) going away?

Post by tashnewbie »

acegolfer wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:22 am
tashnewbie wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:55 am
Oicuryy wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:14 pm I was worried that Citi's virtual account numbers would go away when flash went away at the end of the year. So I was relieved to see they had recently changed the web version to not use flash. Now I'm worried again. Mine still works, for now.

Ron
Thanks for pointing this out. I hadn't noticed that the web version no longer uses Flash. I expect this means they will probably continue to provide VANs after the end of the year. Time will tell. I also see that the downloadable version is no longer available.
I think he's mistaken. I used web VAN a few days ago. I had to enable flash in the browser (but didn't require installing flash player).
Which is probably why I hadn't noticed...I enabled Flash in the browser a long time ago, so I don't get notifications to enable it. I've used the web version this week.
Seasonal
Posts: 2511
Joined: Sun May 21, 2017 1:49 pm

Re: Citibank Virtual Account Numbers (VAN) going away?

Post by Seasonal »

Citi has discontinued VANs for their American AAdvantage credit cards, but is continuing them for the moment for other cards. There are rumors they will discontinue them for some or all of their other cards. See for example https://www.doctorofcredit.com/citi-rem ... nes-cards/
User avatar
BolderBoy
Posts: 5390
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:16 pm
Location: Colorado

Re: Citibank Virtual Account Numbers (VAN) going away?

Post by BolderBoy »

54xx cardholder here (recently received new card/# due to fraudulent use; expires in 3 years.) VAN still available via Chrome browser. I used the VAN system a couple of weeks ago.
"Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities" - The Dunning-Kruger Effect
User avatar
beyou
Posts: 3635
Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:57 pm
Location: Northeastern US

Re: Citibank Virtual Account Numbers (VAN) going away?

Post by beyou »

tashnewbie wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:52 am
beyou wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:56 pm I do not see virtual numbers on the Citi app.
You can't get VANs on the Citi app. I don't know if it was ever a feature of the app.
There were 2 version and one is no longer available but I guess it was a windows app not an iOS app.

"the downloadable version is no longer available" is posted when I login but the web version is still functioning.
tashnewbie
Posts: 1359
Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:44 pm

Re: Citibank Virtual Account Numbers (VAN) going away?

Post by tashnewbie »

beyou wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:11 am
tashnewbie wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:52 am
beyou wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:56 pm I do not see virtual numbers on the Citi app.
You can't get VANs on the Citi app. I don't know if it was ever a feature of the app.
There were 2 version and one is no longer available but I guess it was a windows app not an iOS app.

"the downloadable version is no longer available" is posted when I login but the web version is still functioning.
The web version and the (now no longer available) downloadable version are separate from a possible mobile app version. As far as I know, a mobile app VAN version has never been an option on iOS devices. I don't know about Android devices.
tashnewbie
Posts: 1359
Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:44 pm

Re: Citibank Virtual Account Numbers (VAN) going away?

Post by tashnewbie »

I also wanted to note that the Citi web version only generates single-use VANs, so OP couldn't use it for autopay purposes. I just generated one today. This is an option under advanced settings. See below for more info.
Last edited by tashnewbie on Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mkc
Posts: 453
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:59 pm

Re: Citibank Virtual Account Numbers (VAN) going away?

Post by mkc »

tashnewbie wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:18 am I also wanted to note that the Citi web version only generates single-use VANs, so OP couldn't use it for autopay purposes. I just generated one today.
Odd, I just created one a couple of days ago and using the advanced options was able to set a dollar limit and a 2-12 month out expiration date. The merchant I created it for was able to process two separate charges against it, so it wasn't a single use VAN (but rather a single merchant VAN)
tashnewbie
Posts: 1359
Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:44 pm

Re: Citibank Virtual Account Numbers (VAN) going away?

Post by tashnewbie »

mkc wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:12 pm
tashnewbie wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:18 am I also wanted to note that the Citi web version only generates single-use VANs, so OP couldn't use it for autopay purposes. I just generated one today.
Odd, I just created one a couple of days ago and using the advanced options was able to set a dollar limit and a 2-12 month out expiration date. The merchant I created it for was able to process two separate charges against it, so it wasn't a single use VAN (but rather a single merchant VAN)
That is odd. I get a message that it's only available for 1 use, but I didn't go into advanced settings. Maybe I'll check that out the next time I use it.

ETA: checked the advanced settings, and it is possible to set up the VAN for a certain number of months and specific dollar amount. I will edit my previous post.
investor4life
Posts: 258
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:45 am

Re: Citibank Virtual Account Numbers (VAN) going away?

Post by investor4life »

Several Citi MCs here (5xxx, but not the one that the OP has). All work fine with VAN and I am a heavy user of the feature. As others have said, Citi recently updated the VAN service to no longer use Flash and it's much easier to use now (with Flash I had to enable it temporarily and then disable). The fact that they took the trouble to update it suggests that it isn't going away anytime soon (for those 5xxx cards that have it). I will note that my Costco Citi Visa (4xxx) does not come with VAN.
investor4life
Posts: 258
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:45 am

Re: Citibank Virtual Account Numbers (VAN) going away?

Post by investor4life »

mkc wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:12 pm
tashnewbie wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:18 am I also wanted to note that the Citi web version only generates single-use VANs, so OP couldn't use it for autopay purposes. I just generated one today.
Odd, I just created one a couple of days ago and using the advanced options was able to set a dollar limit and a 2-12 month out expiration date. The merchant I created it for was able to process two separate charges against it, so it wasn't a single use VAN (but rather a single merchant VAN)
Yes, I have noticed this on Amazon. In fact, on some occasions different sellers on Amazon have all been able to use the same VAN that I generated.

For monthly recurring autopay, I used to use BofA's Shopsafe till it went away...
User avatar
Ice-9
Posts: 1526
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:40 pm
Location: Rockville, MD

Re: Citibank Virtual Account Numbers (VAN) going away?

Post by Ice-9 »

tashnewbie wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:32 am
acegolfer wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:22 am
tashnewbie wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:55 am
Oicuryy wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:14 pm I was worried that Citi's virtual account numbers would go away when flash went away at the end of the year. So I was relieved to see they had recently changed the web version to not use flash. Now I'm worried again. Mine still works, for now.

Ron
Thanks for pointing this out. I hadn't noticed that the web version no longer uses Flash. I expect this means they will probably continue to provide VANs after the end of the year. Time will tell. I also see that the downloadable version is no longer available.
I think he's mistaken. I used web VAN a few days ago. I had to enable flash in the browser (but didn't require installing flash player).
Which is probably why I hadn't noticed...I enabled Flash in the browser a long time ago, so I don't get notifications to enable it. I've used the web version this week.
Actually, I don't believe he was mistaken. The web-based VAN on Citi's website now works without Flash as far as I can tell.

I used to not be able to use the web-based version on my Mac because I long ago disabled Flash, and I actually went to the trouble of using a Windows virtual machine to download and use the standalone VAN application there for Citi virtual account numbers. But very recently, the Windows VAN app stopped working, and when I access the web-based VAN app from Chrome on my Mac, it indicates that Flash was blocked, but the web-based application still functions.

To double-check, I went to this page https://www.whatismybrowser.com/detect/ ... -installed that indicates "Flash is disabled or not installed in this browser"

So, unless I'm missing something, the web-based VAN on Citi's website is indeed working now without Flash where it did not work before.
tashnewbie
Posts: 1359
Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:44 pm

Re: Citibank Virtual Account Numbers (VAN) going away?

Post by tashnewbie »

investor4life wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:57 pm The fact that they took the trouble to update it suggests that it isn't going away anytime soon (for those 5xxx cards that have it).
I think you're probably right about this.
User avatar
CardinalRule
Posts: 590
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:01 am
Location: United States

Re: Citibank Virtual Account Numbers (VAN) going away?

Post by CardinalRule »

investor4life wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:00 pm
mkc wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:12 pm
tashnewbie wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:18 am I also wanted to note that the Citi web version only generates single-use VANs, so OP couldn't use it for autopay purposes. I just generated one today.
Odd, I just created one a couple of days ago and using the advanced options was able to set a dollar limit and a 2-12 month out expiration date. The merchant I created it for was able to process two separate charges against it, so it wasn't a single use VAN (but rather a single merchant VAN)
Yes, I have noticed this on Amazon. In fact, on some occasions different sellers on Amazon have all been able to use the same VAN that I generated.

For monthly recurring autopay, I used to use BofA's Shopsafe till it went away...
Amazon processes payments for all sellers on its website (and charges them a fee for doing so). So it is always Amazon charging your card.
acegolfer
Posts: 2443
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:40 am

Re: Citibank Virtual Account Numbers (VAN) going away?

Post by acegolfer »

Ice-9 wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:12 pm Actually, I don't believe he was mistaken. The web-based VAN on Citi's website now works without Flash as far as I can tell.
I stand corrected. I can confirm this.
bople
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:16 pm

Re: Citibank Virtual Account Numbers (VAN) going away?

Post by bople »

Not specifically Citi related, but a new credit card coming out this "winter" is highlighting VAN as key feature: https://x1creditcard.com/
User avatar
Topic Author
samsoes
Posts: 1545
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:12 am

Re: Citibank Virtual Account Numbers (VAN) going away?

Post by samsoes »

Seasonal wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:36 am Citi has discontinued VANs for their American AAdvantage credit cards, but is continuing them for the moment for other cards. There are rumors they will discontinue them for some or all of their other cards. See for example https://www.doctorofcredit.com/citi-rem ... nes-cards/
Well that's rotten of them. It does explain it, though.

I'm still perplexed why they decided to give me a new number without my asking, for which my bill-pay service flags as invalid for a Citibank credit card.

I used to make great use of AA miles. Over the past few years it has been increasingly difficult to book flights using them. And since AA in recent years has become a flying dumpster fire makes the card useless (especially given its annual fee). The problem is that it's my oldest card and cancelling it may ding my credit score.
:oops:
"Happiness Is Not My Companion" - Gen. Gouverneur K. Warren. | (Avatar is the statue of Gen. Warren atop Little Round Top @ Gettysburg National Military Park.)
spear
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:27 pm

Re: Citibank Virtual Account Numbers (VAN) going away?

Post by spear »

Anyone have trouble reloading using the new non-Flash webapp? I could have sworn it worked for a bit but not any more. I select the number, then do "Change Amount/Date", and it appears to succeed, but if I go back and check the number again, the remaining amount is zeroed out. The change in expiry date does work.

It really does seem to be zeroed out because if I try to use it, the transaction gets declined. For now, I am just creating new ones but it's a bit annoying.
sawdust60
Posts: 339
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:06 pm

Re: Citibank Virtual Account Numbers (VAN) going away?

Post by sawdust60 »

Select the number
Use number
Change Amount/Date

Might be that menu/links are different, but no problems for me. It worked with an active and non-zero remaining number.
spear
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:27 pm

Re: Citibank Virtual Account Numbers (VAN) going away?

Post by spear »

Thanks for checking. I think I figured out what's happening and how to work around it (at least for me). In the list of active virtual accounts, the webapp shows the current limit and the remaining amount for each account. However, if the amount already spent using the account exceeds the limit (which can happen if you have an account that you've been reloading for a period of time), then the current limit shown is actually the spending limit plus the amount already spent. It's a bit confusing but I always thought of it as a useful quirk -- you can set the limit for future spending but you have extra information about how much you've spent.

Example: spending limit = $1000, amount spent = $1500, remaining = $500
The list would show the limit as $2500 ($1500 + $1000) and the remaining amount as $500.

When you go and increase the limit on an account, the old webapp pre-filled the amount with the current limit as calculated above. When you update that amount and submit, the remaining amount would be set to the limit you filled in. Pretty straight-forward. In my example, it would pre-fill the form with $2500 but when you replace it with $1000, it would change the remaining amount from $500 to $1000.

The new webapp now pre-fills the amount with the remaining amount. However, when you update the amount and submit, the remaining amount is instead incremented by the difference between the new limit you filled in and the current limit. In my example above, it pre-fills the form with $500. If you change it to $1000, the remaining amount is zeroed out because the new limit ($1000) is less than the current limit displayed ($2500). To set the remaining amount to $1000, you would need to set the limit to $3500 ($2500 + $1000).
sastys
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2021 3:36 pm

Re: Citibank Virtual Account Numbers (VAN) going away?

Post by sastys »

Does anyone else have this issue where the max number of months a VAN can be valid thru keeps going down. At first it was 2-12 months, then it changed to 9 months for me. Then 8 months, and now it’s at 7 months. Anyone else notice this or dealing with this?

I have the Simplicity Card & Double Cash Card

**Screenshot below** [Distracting graphic removed by Moderator Misenplace]
bandoba
Posts: 135
Joined: Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:51 am

Re: Citibank Virtual Account Numbers (VAN) going away?

Post by bandoba »

sastys wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 4:06 pm Does anyone else have this issue where the max number of months a VAN can be valid thru keeps going down. At first it was 2-12 months, then it changed to 9 months for me. Then 8 months, and now it’s at 7 months. Anyone else notice this or dealing with this?

I have the Simplicity Card & Double Cash Card

**Screenshot below** [Distracting graphic removed by Moderator Misenplace]
I didn't realize this till I read this post. Yes, looks like 0 - 7 months max now for me too.
User avatar
prudent
Moderator
Posts: 7866
Joined: Fri May 20, 2011 2:50 pm

Re: Citibank Virtual Account Numbers (VAN) going away?

Post by prudent »

I have no actual knowledge but it sounds like they plan to retire the VAN feature 7 months from now.
sastys
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2021 3:36 pm

Re: Citibank Virtual Account Numbers (VAN) going away?

Post by sastys »

prudent wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:26 pm I have no actual knowledge but it sounds like they plan to retire the VAN feature 7 months from now.
Maybe, but I’m not sure if it means that. I thought maybe they wanted to take away the “max months” feature and generate VAN’s with their own system generated max amount of months like Capital One does.

I hope they’re not trying to get rid of VAN because it’s very useful to me.
Tamales
Posts: 1505
Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:47 am

Re: Citibank Virtual Account Numbers (VAN) going away?

Post by Tamales »

I'm a heavy user of VAN (previously the windows version, now the online version since they discontinued the former). Nearly 100% of charges on my citi card during the pandemic have used VAN. I generally set them for 2 month duration so I haven't been affected by the reduction to 7 months max. I'm not sure why this limit would imply it's going away in 7 months. I hope it's more of a bookkeeping or administrative reason and not related to a planned phase-out.

I even use 2-3 month duration for recurring subscriptions, especially when I'm not sure I will renew. It's like a 1 minute process to log in and generate a new number if you do renew, so not a big deal.

PS, I got this card when BofA discontinued ShopSafe, as a replacement for that, and it has worked out well. Nearly zero charges on that BofA card since they discontinued ShopSafe and this citi card has become my primary card BECAUSE OF the VAN feature.
Grasshopper
Posts: 1087
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:52 pm

Re: Citibank Virtual Account Numbers (VAN) going away?

Post by Grasshopper »

I used one yesterday exp date 1/2021 :dollar
sastys
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2021 3:36 pm

Re: Citibank Virtual Account Numbers (VAN) going away?

Post by sastys »

Ok so I actually just spoke to someone from Tech Support for Citi Bank Customer Service and the representative told me that this may be because Citi uses a third party company (Adobe) to generate the VAN. He said that Adobe may be soon doing away with it but he said that Citi is working on their own VAN system because they know this feature is very helpful to customers. He also said that one day the VAN feature may stop working because of this.

So hopefully Citi creates their own VAN system before Adobe stops supporting their VAN system.
bandoba
Posts: 135
Joined: Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:51 am

Re: Citibank Virtual Account Numbers (VAN) going away?

Post by bandoba »

sastys wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:47 pm Ok so I actually just spoke to someone from Tech Support for Citi Bank Customer Service and the representative told me that this may be because Citi uses a third party company (Adobe) to generate the VAN. He said that Adobe may be soon doing away with it but he said that Citi is working on their own VAN system because they know this feature is very helpful to customers. He also said that one day the VAN feature may stop working because of this.

So hopefully Citi creates their own VAN system before Adobe stops supporting their VAN system.
I believe the Adobe reference here is for the Adobe Flash. Adobe stopped flash support yesterday, on 31 Dec 2020. Earlier version of web launcher used Adobe Flash but in last few months they seem to have replaced it with non-flash version and so hope it continues to work.
User avatar
Oicuryy
Posts: 1554
Joined: Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:29 pm

Re: Citibank Virtual Account Numbers (VAN) going away?

Post by Oicuryy »

sastys wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:47 pm Ok so I actually just spoke to someone from Tech Support for Citi Bank Customer Service and the representative told me that this may be because Citi uses a third party company (Adobe) to generate the VAN. He said that Adobe may be soon doing away with it but he said that Citi is working on their own VAN system because they know this feature is very helpful to customers. He also said that one day the VAN feature may stop working because of this.

So hopefully Citi creates their own VAN system before Adobe stops supporting their VAN system.
Sounds like the same guy I just talked to. His supervisor said they were told the max expiration date would go down by one each month. But they were not told what happens when it gets to zero.

Is Capital One the only other bank with virtual numbers?

Ron
Money is fungible | Abbreviations and Acronyms
ballons
Posts: 499
Joined: Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:05 pm

Re: Citibank Virtual Account Numbers (VAN) going away?

Post by ballons »

sastys wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:32 pm
prudent wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:26 pm I have no actual knowledge but it sounds like they plan to retire the VAN feature 7 months from now.
Maybe, but I’m not sure if it means that. I thought maybe they wanted to take away the “max months” feature and generate VAN’s with their own system generated max amount of months like Capital One does.

I hope they’re not trying to get rid of VAN because it’s very useful to me.
I have the 7 month max now. I also can barely use VAN anymore because of citibank's incompetence. If I generate too many numbers or have the audacity to view previously generated VAN's, citi asks for the security code from my old expired card I shredded. I almost think citibank did this on purpose.

Also I don't know if this is relevant but did anyone notice in late july 2020 paypal purchases added on "DIGITAL ACCOUNT NUMBER [16 digital CC number with last four digits exposed]"? Perhaps they are finalizing changes to VAN in july?

This is the only other person I can find that even mentions the digital account number change:
https://www.reddit.com/r/CreditCards/co ... d_using_a/
spear
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:27 pm

Re: Citibank Virtual Account Numbers (VAN) going away?

Post by spear »

Citi has an FAQ section for this where they now say that they're setting up a new system:
^ Why can’t I create or update my Virtual Account Numbers up to 12 months?

With the upgraded experience on the way, we are setting the maximum expiration to August 2021.

^ Will I be able to use my current Virtual Account Numbers at merchants after the new experience is released?

Your current Virtual Account Numbers will continue to work at merchants until they expire.

^ When will the new upgraded experience be available?

We look forward to releasing the improved version in early summer 2021.

^ When the new upgraded experience becomes available, will I be able to manage or create Virtual Account Numbers from the old experience?

You will not be able to manage or create Virtual Account Numbers using the old experience. However, we will provide view-only access for a limited time so you can see details of your existing Virtual Account Numbers.

^ With the upgraded experience on the way, should I continue creating or updating my Virtual Account Numbers?

While we do not want to disrupt your continued protection with Virtual Account Numbers, we recommend you limit the amount of new numbers you create as you will need to generate new Virtual Account Numbers from the upgraded experience.

^ What can I expect from the upgraded experience?

The new experience will make it easier than ever to set up and manage your Virtual Account Numbers. We’re looking forward to sharing more details as we get closer to launching the improvements!
User avatar
beyou
Posts: 3635
Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:57 pm
Location: Northeastern US

Re: Citibank Virtual Account Numbers (VAN) going away?

Post by beyou »

I am finding little need for this now. I use Apple pay, amazon pay, and paypal for online purchases where possible, to avoid giving out any cc numbers.
Post Reply