How to quit a job for retirement

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
bogledogle

Re: How to quit a job for retirement

Post by bogledogle »

4nursebee wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:11 pm How did you do it? Regular give notice stuff? Walk out or phone it in?

Life has really changed for us, on a small vacation now. I’d really like to not ever work for someone else again. No particular bad feelings but work generally sucks having enough money. Part of me would rather not deal with 2-4 weeks of boredom,questions, negative emotions. I’m young enough to be thought of as needing to work another 15 years.

Thinking it over but would love to just call in retired.
You sound like you are burned out. Why not take a few months off before you decide to retire? As far as notice is concerned, look at your state laws and your contract.
cogitan

Post by cogitan »

I was in the same position as you. Hourly worker for mega company. I had planned on just walking out and not looking back. Near my planned departure date I had to take a bereavement leave. On my return I immediately emailed HR and my supervisor my two weeks notice. None of my coworkers knew until the last day, I did an exit interview to let them know what they could improve, and then I got a few small perks that I wasn't expecting like continued discount at the company store. If you simply leave you don't know what you might be giving up and don't burn your bridges.
flaccidsteele

Post by flaccidsteele »

ScubaHogg wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:56 am
flaccidsteele wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:56 pm
4nursebee wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:11 pm How did you do it? Regular give notice stuff? Walk out or phone it in?
Speaking only for myself...

In Canada severance is significant for employees with tenure
Do you get severance even if you resign?
No severance if an employee resigns
The US market always recovers. It’s never different this time. Retired in my 40s. Investing is a simple game of rinse and repeat
Ron
Location: Allentown–Bethlehem–Easton, PA-NJ Metropolitan Statistical Area

Post by Ron »

I retired from a global company (100K+ employees) with HQ in euro-land but site locations around the world.

The company requested that future retirees notify their local HR office of intent to retire 60 days in advance. This was not only to process the paperwork involved with the US 401(k) plan and cash balance plan, along with retiree benefits (primarily health insurance) but also to have the job posting be processed to include being filled from all areas of the world, not only the US. We had a lot of global transfers over the years (but of course, that was before COVID19).

My immediate manager knew of my leaving well before the 60 day request so there was time to decide if my position was to be filled or possibly done by another location (I worked within IT, with development being done around the world).

I can understand for those that are just quitting a job that a 2-week notification is sufficient, but I also feel that if you are retiring as a long term employee (for me, 28+ years) and leaving on good terms, there is no need to just walk with little or no notice.

BTW, you're not "quitting" per se, you're just moving on to your next opportunity in life 🎭 ...

- Ron
gr7070

Post by gr7070 »

4nursebee wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:59 am ...needing to explain myself to people that live paycheck to paycheck.
I can't fathom other folk's curiosity or jealousy affecting how I choose to depart from my employer.

Deal with those people however you choose, without being rude. That can mean to share as much or as little as you wish and confidently informing them of that.
pahkcah

Post by pahkcah »

Retired twice, first time was from Federal Government while working way too many hours in a high-level management position. I requested and was granted an early retirement by my senior manager. As this was a major favor, I offered to stay until a replacement was found and in place, which took two months. I knew before-hand that if the early retirement was granted it would probably take a couple of months to find a replacement, so the two months was built into the date I had intended to leave. Just filled out the paperwork with HR and was done.

Following official Government retirement on a Friday, I took the weekend off and started with a private company the next Monday. After ten years I decided to retire for good and let my manager know several months in advance of my intentions to retire, again to allow for a replacement to be selected and trained. It was company policy to submit a resignation letter, which I did via e-mail.

On the private side I worked in an “at will” state and directly hired a lot of people. One of the questions I always asked during interviews with prospective employees (if they were still employed) was how much notice they would be required to provide their current employers. If the answer was, “None,” the interview would continue, but at that point the employee stood no chance of getting the job. I figured if they would do that to another company, they would probably do the same to us some day.

I would recommend two weeks’ notice at a minimum. Recommendation is to talk with your supervisor first, and then HR. After discussing with supervisor, I would provide some form of official communication (either a letter or e-mail using company e-mail system) announcing your intent to resign, and specifying a final date.

Always do what’s best for you, but don’t burn any bridges. There should be no need for “negative emotions.” One way or the other, you will be out/free, and that’s all you really want. :happy

Good Luck!
GlacierRunner

Post by GlacierRunner »

Are you actually retiring from your company? Take some time to figure out what is available to you if you are retiring. Have some hypothetical conversations with HR.

While it is a good idea to retire on the first of the month if you are moving to a new job because your health insurance runs for the full month, where I work if you are retiring you do not want to retire on the first of the month as it delays your retirement health insurance for a month.
Ron
Location: Allentown–Bethlehem–Easton, PA-NJ Metropolitan Statistical Area

Post by Ron »

GlacierRunner wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:12 pmWhile it is a good idea to retire on the first of the month if you are moving to a new job because your health insurance runs for the full month, where I work if you are retiring you do not want to retire on the first of the month as it delays your retirement health insurance for a month.
I retired on May 1st. My family medical coverage ran through May 31. If you were actively working on the first of the month or any day thereafter, benefits continued through the end of the month.

On June 1st, my retirement medical coverage started. No break in coverage (at least none in my case).

FWIW,

Ron
tnr

Post by tnr »

I retired from MegaCorp at age 55 but knew that I would continue working at a non-profit. I planned on giving 4 weeks notice but it turned out to be six weeks because my boss requested that I join a new project team and I had to tell him that it was not possible. As others suggested, my letter was short and professional. thanking MegaCorp for providing me numerous opportunities over the years. I also indicated my new job since it was not a competitor. Six weeks notice was too long. I was eager to leave and although I appreciated my colleagues who thanked me during that time, ideally I would give just two weeks notice.
MathWizard

Post by MathWizard »

sd323232 wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:19 am
MathIsMyWayr wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:23 pm
Watty wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:55 pm Unless you have a contract that requires it, or you work in some special field where more notice is expected, like medicine where you need to pass off patients to a new doctor, then two weeks is all that you should give. The company can always ask you to stay longer if they will really need you.

I know someone that thought that he would do the company a favor by giving two months notice. The company said "no thanks, two weeks will be fine your last day will be in two weeks." The company did not want a short-timer hanging around for too long and causing moral problems. That put the guy into a bind since it would be two months until he had scheduled his next job to start so he had a big gap income that he had not planned on.
Yep.
"I am indispensable."
"I will be difficult to replace."
"I have to train a replacement if my employer ever finds a qualified one."
"My employer will hit a rough patch after I 'm gone."
Cemeteries are full of indispensable people.
Lol so true!! I remember one guy I used to work thought what he did was super complicated and only he knew how to do it, so when he left, he made sure everyone was aware that the next person replacing him will never be as good as he is. A new guy shows up, young kid compared to rest of us, figures out whole system in a month and does even better job now than the guy who left. Those youngsters coming up nowdays are to watch out for I say lol
Reminds me of the film "About Schmidt" . VP of an Ins company retires. Shows the new kid boxes full of paper forms that are essential,
while the new kid is hooking up a PC. (Looks like it was set in early 80's with an IBM PC.)

Schmidt returns a bit later to see if the new kid needs any help, and sees all the boxes sitting out for the trashman.

Kind of a sad point in a sad movie.

Post by 123 »

4nursebee wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:59 am ...I am a bit concerned about working my time out and needing to explain myself to people that live paycheck to paycheck.
Just tell them that you found someone very special who will take care of everything for you (you don't have to tell them that it is yourself).
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
GerryL

Post by GerryL »

tibbitts wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:09 pm
I gave many years of notice - talked about it with co-workers all the time. I think most people were interested in learning about the details of the process since they'd be doing it to some day. Except for the exact day, my retirement was driven by vesting rules, and I retired the month I vested. As circumstances turned out I would have retired one month later than I actually did, because I had more vacation days at the end than I'd planned on, but you had to state your retirement date months in advance, and changing wasn't something I wanted to deal with.
This is essentially what I did ... what they say you should never, ever do. I started talking about my plans to retire 3 years ahead of time. All my colleagues and my boss knew. One of my colleagues was inspired to start planning to leave around the same time.

Then, a year before the target date, the org I was in offered a "voluntary separation package," with severance based on years with the company. I took it and never looked back. (And so did the colleague who was also planning for one more year.) I essentially got paid for most of the final year I had intended to work and missed one more round of RSUs. The only better situation would have been if they had made the offer six months later, or closer to the original date.
livelovelaugh00

Post by livelovelaugh00 »

coingaroo wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:04 am Two weeks of collecting a check but not really having much responsibility isn't bad. I'd give notice.
Two months will be even better.
fourwheelcycle

Post by fourwheelcycle »

I announced one October that I was retiring the following June 30, at age 60. My wife was on my health insurance for thirty-four years. When I retired I moved to her health insurance and she ended up working ten more years, then we both went on Medicare. When my wife retired she also announced one fall that she was retiring the following June 30. We both retired from very large employers.
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

My large employer had started a program, for select management employees, that paid them a bonus of about 30% annual salary if they gave 12 months notice of intended retirement. This was supposedly to give the company time to plan for your replacement, including training were necessary.

I gave 14 months notice, and part of my last year goals was to train my replacement. While I did organize an outline to conduct training, the company dragged it's feet and only identified my replacement about 3 weeks before I was scheduled to retire.

Right after my retirement luncheon, which was 2 days before I was to retire, HR asked if I would delay my departure for 2-3 months. I declined, retired as scheduled, and collected my early-notice bonus.

Punchline - my replacement tried to manage in my absence but failed miserably, partially due to a lack of training but also his limited abilities. After 10 months of retirement, the company hired me back as a consultant at 3x my prior salary to straighten things out. I worked as a full time consultant for 10 months. There was little pressure since I was retired and didn't need the job, so the work was way less stressful even though I was essentially doing the same job. After 10 months as a consultant I chose to re-retired, but considered staying on even longer due to the very generous compensation.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

I gave three months notice per company policy. I just walked into my boss’s office and told him.
howard71

Post by howard71 »

When I was ready to retire at the age of 67 I started dropping hints which had the effect of putting me at the top of the list for layoffs. It worked and I ended up with 5 months of severance pay as a nice retirement gift.
shess

Post by shess »

livelovelaugh00 wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:53 pm
coingaroo wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:04 am Two weeks of collecting a check but not really having much responsibility isn't bad. I'd give notice.
Two months will be even better.
I gave three months notice, I think it was. In those three months I got a LOAD of stuff done, mostly because it gave me hard guidelines for evaluating everything on my docket. Everything could be evaluated as to whether it fit my schedule, or displaced more important stuff. When people attempted to get me tied up helping with their mess, I could just suggest a couple better victims and move on with clearing my plate. I think it's likely that if I had been able to replicate the feel of the last three months into my day-to-day work, I might still be working.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I quit my job and used COVID as an excuse. Around this time last year, it was just ramping up and everyone was getting nervous.

I took a 30-day leave of absence to see how I'd like retirement. I never returned.

Tip: Don't ever go on a leave of absence. You lose all your benefits. Not only for medical, but life insurance as well.

The only reason I still had medical was due to COBRA. Fortunately, it was cheaper than the marketplace rate. (Search my posts.)

Going back on the company policy would have been a paperwork nightmare with no guarantee to restore my benefits. I returned for a few hours to sign my resignation paperwork and was home by lunch. Done.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
dboeger1

Post by dboeger1 »

I've never quit a job myself, only been laid off, so I don't really have experience with this, but if I were looking to retire early and didn't need or expect to find a new job immediately, I would at the very least try to get something extra first. Especially now with the pandemic, many companies are looking to cut costs but don't want to take the hit to their reputation as the company that fired people during a pandemic. I imagine there's a non-negligible chance that just stating you're considering a career change and are open to hearing any severance offers would get you that. Alternatively, if you would be willing to continue working for a higher salary, you could try negotiating a raise. If they don't give it to you, you can suggest that you will then be considering leaving. At this point, it's on them whether or not to cave. The worst they can do is fire you, which is no different than had you simply retired anyway, and again, they're probably hesitant to do that as it could damage their reputation.

Are some of these things immoral? In isolation, they would be, but I think people who worry about that kind of stuff are kidding themselves about how the corporate world works nowadays. They'd fire you in a heartbeat without 2 minutes notice let alone 2 weeks if they deemed it necessary to increase short-term profits. It may not even have anything to do with the managers you deal with on a daily basis. It starts with the board and CEO. If they could, they would automate/contract/outsource your job away as cheaply and quickly as possible. They make that clear when they give prospective employees lowball offers just to leave headroom for negotiations. The cutthroat nature of corporations is why job applicants turn into robots saying whatever the company wants to hear. Note how an earlier comment from a manager suggested they outright denied applications based on the single issue of how much notice they would give, something which should ideally be a fraction of their contribution to the company over a long, fruitful career if the company treats them right. You know what that produces? A bunch of candidates who come in saying, "Oh yeah, I would give 5+ years notice" because they heard the rumor that this is what the manager was screening for in interviews. And if the contract is at-will, they can still leave at a moment's notice anyway. I can almost guarantee your employer doesn't pay 100% fair, equal wages for equal work or even positions, because that's a very subjective and difficult thing to measure anyway. And if all that wasn't enough, there are timing distortions, such as if you quit without severance and then the very next week, the company starts offering early retirement packages.

In other words, trying to get the best deal you can is just part of the game now, and it's a far cry from doing something outright wrong/illegal like embezzling funds or having a romantic relationship with your manager. You're probably not going to get another shot at retiring, and the worst they can do is make you leave which is what you want anyway, so why not take a chance and try to get something out of it?
Watty

Post by Watty »

An old thread but unless you are in some special position where it is critical that you transition your tasks smoothly to someone else then I would highly suggest that two weeks notice is appropriate, but you can say that you are open to saying a bit longer if they really need you to.

When I gave my two weeks notice that I was going to retire that was the longest two weeks in my life and I was so ready to be out of there. There is no way that I would have wanted to stay any longer.

Having a "short timer" who is handing around the office for too long can also be disruptive.

One thing I did do before I retired was that a couple of months before I wanted to retire I scheduled a three week vacation to use up most of my time off. After I gave my two weeks notice that I was going to retire I was talking with my manager about who could take over my responsibilities and the answer was pretty much that whoever did it while I was on vacation could do it after I retired since they had already been cross trained to do that work. There were only a few other things that I needed to finish up or cross train people on.

Most likely your manager has a pretty good idea on how to handle the situation if any of their employees suddenly become available since if they have likely run into this before even with good employees who unexpectedly were out sick or died.
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

Once I knew I would be retiring, I waited for the right time to go.

For me, that meant waiting for 6 months while we completed a multi-year migration project. I waited so that the members of my team would be in the best position I could get them into going forward. I told nobody.

At the end of the 6 months, I gave my two weeks' notice. I immediately got a ton of people in my office asking why, and a ton of phone calls asking the same. I just smiled and told them it was time. Many didn't seem to believe that I was actually retiring. I worked through the notice period, updating documentation and helping out where I could. Then I said my goodbyes shook a lot of hands, and left on good terms.

Six months later I was asked if I could come back for a while and help out my successor. I agree to consult on a part-time, two days per week, no more than 16 hours, basis. It was actually a lot of fun - working on the good parts without any of the office politics, administrivia or overtime. I did that for a year and was well compensated for my time.
Life has really changed for us, on a small vacation now. I’d really like to not ever work for someone else again. No particular bad feelings but work generally sucks having enough money. Part of me would rather not deal with 2-4 weeks of boredom, questions, negative emotions. I’m young enough to be thought of as needing to work another 15 years.
I found it very easy to continue on, once the end was in sight. I could simply ignore all the negative parts of the job.
Thinking it over but would love to just call in retired.
We all have our personal ethics to fall back on, and clearly that's something you must decide for yourself.

I understand some folks get their jollies that way (and apparently it's now a thing to share their distinctive "take this job and shove it" exit on social media), but to me, it's a *!@% move. I value my professional and personal reputation a lot and would never squander it for a momentary rush.
It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | And I feel fine.
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

Watty wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:17 pm An old thread but unless you are in some special position where it is critical that you transition your tasks smoothly to someone else then I would highly suggest that two weeks notice is appropriate, but you can say that you are open to saying a bit longer if they really need you to.

When I gave my two weeks notice that I was going to retire that was the longest two weeks in my life and I was so ready to be out of there. There is no way that I would have wanted to stay any longer.

Having a "short timer" who is handing around the office for too long can also be disruptive.

One thing I did do before I retired was that a couple of months before I wanted to retire I scheduled a three week vacation to use up most of my time off. After I gave my two weeks notice that I was going to retire I was talking with my manager about who could take over my responsibilities and the answer was pretty much that whoever did it while I was on vacation could do it after I retired since they had already been cross trained to do that work. There were only a few other things that I needed to finish up or cross train people on.

Most likely your manager has a pretty good idea on how to handle the situation if any of their employees suddenly become available since if they have likely run into this before even with good employees who unexpectedly were out sick or died.
I’m with Watty on this.

We all want to think we are special and important, and the world will stop spinning without us. It’s just not true. And even if it were, it’s not *our* problem. I’ve seen very important people die overnight, and really shock the enterprise. But the trains just keep moving and everybody stays in business, etc.

So try not to drag it out, or have a farewell tour. Get any severance you can, but just move on......

I’m ready now, but will wait until January to do it. Part of it is the pandemic throwing a wrench in travel plans. And part of it is me waiting for my end of year bonus. Once that clears the bank, I’m giving my two weeks. If they ask for more, I’ll give it. It two weeks is plenty. I like my employer. If I didn’t, I’d be 100% comfortable giving zero notice.
livelovelaugh00

LadyGeek wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:32 pm I returned for a few hours to sign my resignation paperwork and was home by lunch. Done.
Easy, breezy. 🥳
livelovelaugh00

howard71 wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:27 pm When I was ready to retire at the age of 67 I started dropping hints which had the effect of putting me at the top of the list for layoffs. It worked and I ended up with 5 months of severance pay as a nice retirement gift.
👍🤭
averagedude

Post by averagedude »

Since you work hourly, you could give your boss a heads up that you are contemplating taking a "sabbatical" in the near future and you would like to walk out quietly with no contempt toward the company. See where this conversation leads. It is possible that you can quit suddenly in the future with only upper management knowing that you will do so, and no bridges will be burned. I work hourly, have good relations with management, am easily replaced, and I feel that I could pull this off with my employer and be hired back in the future if I desired to. Every company has different dynamics. Where I am employed, hourly worker turnover is over 40%, so someone quitting is something management experiences all the time. If it is truly important to you to quit and walk out quietly, I say you should do it.
chw

Post by chw »

Just call the boss and quit/give notice. Personally, I would give notice (I had to give 90 days for RSU vesting)- it wasn’t really that bad, and no negative vibe during that time. I rather enjoyed the transition during this time- it allowed me to ease my brain into being done with FT work, and also ponder the next chapter with more clarity.
Quirkz

Post by Quirkz »

Watty wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:02 am
4nursebee wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:59 am I am a bit concerned about working my time out and needing to explain myself to people that live paycheck to paycheck.
You do not need to tell anyone, including the company, that you are retiring.

You can just say that you have an another opportunity that you can't or don't want to discuss.

If they press you just say that it is a complicated situation.
Or better yet, have fun with it and make up a new story every time.
* I'm going to write a novel
* I'm going under cover.
* I'm moving to antarctica.
* I'm going to commune with the dolphins.
etc, etc
Morgan Dollar 1921

Post by Morgan Dollar 1921 »

As many here know, I worked in the wonderful world of auto dealerships, aka as stealerships. Not all are bad eggs. My last one was a situation where the DW took an office, which she planned to be her next to last office. We were slated to be in that area a year. I labored hard for this employer, and for the most part it was a win -win. I had the respect of my immediate supervisor, but the next level, not so much in either direction. I gave one week notice, from the stand point of a trip we had planned and the fact I wanted to stretch my time to the start of my SSA check. My boss said, you have known this for several weeks, maybe two to three months, why the short notice? My response was, "Greg I have watched the General Manager cut loose every employee here the day he gave notice or if the GM was out of the store, then the next AM. Why would I risk three weeks or three months with no income after witnessing that over and over. He replied, "yep, you are right, and I don't blame you." An army in retreat, always burns the bridge.
Fat Tails

Post by Fat Tails »

Rwsavory wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:28 pm "Employment at Will" works both ways. But 2 weeks notice would be courteous.
+1. Two weeks is standard. Nobody is indispensable. If they really need you, they can give you a retention bonus to stay longer. Some companies will show you the door the moment you give notice. Some companies will lay you off with 3 hours notice. And other companies value their human capital...

Keep the notification short... I intend to retire effective at 5:00 pm on day,month,year. I did it using a signed letter attached to an email.

:beer
“It's tough to make predictions, especially about the future.” ― Yogi Berra
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Those intending to retire this year should post in: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2021!
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
GG1273

Post by GG1273 »

Interesting conversation - with WFH, I put off going for now, I'm turning 62 this month.

But, if a place is big enough, notice what other people do. We had a VP announce in Feb that he was leaving end of March but everyone really "knew" late last year and I'm pretty far from his job level. And the transition to new person in the job is happening now.
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

Morgan Dollar 1921 wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:57 pm As many here know, I worked in the wonderful world of auto dealerships, aka as stealerships. Not all are bad eggs. My last one was a situation where the DW took an office, which she planned to be her next to last office. We were slated to be in that area a year. I labored hard for this employer, and for the most part it was a win -win. I had the respect of my immediate supervisor, but the next level, not so much in either direction. I gave one week notice, from the stand point of a trip we had planned and the fact I wanted to stretch my time to the start of my SSA check. My boss said, you have known this for several weeks, maybe two to three months, why the short notice? My response was, "Greg I have watched the General Manager cut loose every employee here the day he gave notice or if the GM was out of the store, then the next AM. Why would I risk three weeks or three months with no income after witnessing that over and over. He replied, "yep, you are right, and I don't blame you." An army in retreat, always burns the bridge.
So lets say you give 3 weeks notice and are "cut loose" by the GM. Is that a parlay to collect Covid-enhanced unemployment benefits?
AB609

Post by AB609 »

I've have always given 4 weeks notice. In my profession, the employer generally has to have a replacement is place for regulatory reasons, otherwise it can have real business impacts.

Unless it is a terrible employer and your mental health is at stake, I consider at least 2 weeks the professional thing to do. I did leave a job once on good terms with 4 weeks notice only to have them rehire me 4 months later. I have to think leaving on good terms had a lot to do with them hiring me back.
Morgan Dollar 1921

Post by Morgan Dollar 1921 »

neilpilot wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:26 am
Morgan Dollar 1921 wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:57 pm As many here know, I worked in the wonderful world of auto dealerships, aka as stealerships. Not all are bad eggs. My last one was a situation where the DW took an office, which she planned to be her next to last office. We were slated to be in that area a year. I labored hard for this employer, and for the most part it was a win -win. I had the respect of my immediate supervisor, but the next level, not so much in either direction. I gave one week notice, from the stand point of a trip we had planned and the fact I wanted to stretch my time to the start of my SSA check. My boss said, you have known this for several weeks, maybe two to three months, why the short notice? My response was, "Greg I have watched the General Manager cut loose every employee here the day he gave notice or if the GM was out of the store, then the next AM. Why would I risk three weeks or three months with no income after witnessing that over and over. He replied, "yep, you are right, and I don't blame you." An army in retreat, always burns the bridge.
So lets say you give 3 weeks notice and are "cut loose" by the GM. Is that a parlay to collect Covid-enhanced unemployment benefits?
I have no idea, my experience is from 2016, and I am very happy I am out of the work a day world with the advent of Covid. I have no issues with Covid enhanced unemployment benefits, if that was the question. Unemployment was taxed in our state and federally during the Great Recession of 2008. I had that experience. My point was I was smarter than giving a 3 week or three month notice in that workplace.