GEICO Umbrella: Significant Increase in Premium

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
neilpilot

Re: GEICO Umbrella: Significant Increase in Premium

Post by neilpilot »

My $2M renewal premium in TN, due end of April, is a 60% increase over last year. GEICO says this increase is market wide in TN and does not reflect my personal risk. Based on that I’m moving my auto & umbrella to State Farm. While their auto is a bit higher, their $2M umbrella comes in at about half of GEICO and more than makes up for the difference.
patriciamgr2

Post by patriciamgr2 »

I'd like to repeat my earlier thanks to Forum members for sharing their renewal experiences. It helps each of us to be a better consumer. Thanks for taking the time--I know how busy everyone is. Kind regards, Patricia MGer
abner kravitz

Post by abner kravitz »

JonnyDVM wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:36 am You need to find an independent insurance agent to do all the legwork for you. I did that this year and it was soooo much easier than spending hours shopping around. Typically bundling home/auto/umbrella with one company will be the way to go. Coincidently the best option for me was Geico/Travelers.
I think this is good advice. Until recently I assumed you would get better rates if you did the legwork yourself, but I have found that it is really not the case. I will probably never buy insurance without an agent going forward, it is a much better experience
tj

Post by tj »

abner kravitz wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:57 pm
JonnyDVM wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:36 am You need to find an independent insurance agent to do all the legwork for you. I did that this year and it was soooo much easier than spending hours shopping around. Typically bundling home/auto/umbrella with one company will be the way to go. Coincidently the best option for me was Geico/Travelers.
I think this is good advice. Until recently I assumed you would get better rates if you did the legwork yourself, but I have found that it is really not the case. I will probably never buy insurance without an agent going forward, it is a much better experience
Well, yeah, you won't have access to all the insurers if you DIY, but you can look up premium comparison on your state and see what insurers you might want to try to get quotes from. That's how I ended up with Auto Owners in Arizona. No way to get a quote on my own.
ShaftoesSpreadsheet

Post by ShaftoesSpreadsheet »

Planner01 wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:24 pm I have an umbrella policy with Geico for $1M, as well as the cars, and home. I was paying $200 for the year. The new premium as of September when it renews is $362!
I just got hit with the exact same hike for the Geico for $1M umbrella. Decided to stay for now but will shop around this summer.
DesertGator

Post by DesertGator »

Couple months ago Geico refused to renew my $2M umbrella, listing 3 auto claims from different family members, most recent was over 3 years ago, the remaining two were each 1 and 2 years older than that. One claim ended up paying $0. The total of the other 2 were less than $1000 combined. No tickets. A+ students. Association Discount, bundled policies.

Not having an umbrella was unacceptable, so I shopped the market. I easily got coverage from Nationwide, including umbrella for more than 60% less for everything than with Geico. I even replaced my Geico-sourced homeowner's policy with a Nationwide policy...literally got significantly more/better coverage for 1/2 the cost.

Kicking myself for not kicking Geico years ago...had been with them about 15 years. I know to shop insurance every 1-2 years but have been very busy.
BruDude

Post by BruDude »

Mine just renewed and they increased it 50%. Haven't shopped around yet...
Northern Flicker

Post by Northern Flicker »

Grt2bOutdoors wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:49 pm My wild guess on why premiums are rising: the insurer deliberately mispriced their offering to build a book of business but now is reversing course to lower their overall expense ratio lower than 100, expenses above 100 denotes operating at a loss.
I call that bait-and-switch.
Northern Flicker

When shopping insurance, lowest rate is not my highest priority-- (my perception of) the experience I will have if I need to file a claim is my #2 priority. Getting the policies I need is #1. Price is #3.

Rightly or wrongly, I expect a better claims experience from State Farm, Amica, or Traveler's than I do from Allstate, Liberty Mutual, Progressive, Nationwide, or Farmer's. USAA and GEICO fail criterion #1.
Northern Flicker

talzara wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:20 pm The top four companies have over 50% of the auto insurance market.
This has different market share data, but includes property casualty as well.
The top 10 property/casualty companies reporting to date have a cumulative market share of 50.04%.
Osprey

Post by Osprey »

DesertGator wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:07 pm Couple months ago Geico refused to renew my $2M umbrella, listing 3 auto claims from different family members, most recent was over 3 years ago, the remaining two were each 1 and 2 years older than that. One claim ended up paying $0. The total of the other 2 were less than $1000 combined. No tickets. A+ students. Association Discount, bundled policies.

Not having an umbrella was unacceptable, so I shopped the market. I easily got coverage from Nationwide, including umbrella for more than 60% less for everything than with Geico. I even replaced my Geico-sourced homeowner's policy with a Nationwide policy...literally got significantly more/better coverage for 1/2 the cost.

Kicking myself for not kicking Geico years ago...had been with them about 15 years. I know to shop insurance every 1-2 years but have been very busy.
I just got a notification that geico wasn’t going to renew my umbrella due to auto violations in 2019 and an accident by my child in 2016. Child is an adult who moved out of our house in 2018. Auto policies reflected no kids in house but umbrella didn’t. Have sent letter and utility bill showing child is living elsewhere and geico is reviewing the info.

Based on this thread I may get a price increase if they decide to offer me an umbrella policy renewal. Great info on this thread, so I won’t be surprised if I get a premium increase if they renew the policy. Time to shop around!
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

BruDude wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:05 pm Mine just renewed and they increased it 50%. Haven't shopped around yet...
When you shop do you use an independent agent or do you call each company independently?
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
BruDude

Post by BruDude »

Grt2bOutdoors wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:19 am
BruDude wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:05 pm Mine just renewed and they increased it 50%. Haven't shopped around yet...
When you shop do you use an independent agent or do you call each company independently?
I usually call 3-4 captive companies (State Farm, Farmers, etc) and 1 or 2 independent agents. Property and casualty it a little different given the prevalence of captive companies where the agent can’t sell any other products.
tj

Post by tj »

Northern Flicker wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:17 am When shopping insurance, lowest rate is not my highest priority-- (my perception of) the experience I will have if I need to file a claim is my #2 priority. Getting the policies I need is #1. Price is #3.

Rightly or wrongly, I expect a better claims experience from State Farm, Amica, or Traveler's than I do from Allstate, Liberty Mutual, Progressive, Nationwide, or Farmer's. USAA and GEICO fail criterion #1.
Why can't you get the policy you need from USAA? What criteria do you use to determine State Farm, Amica and Travelers would be better than Allstate, Liberty Mutual, Progressive, Nationwide or Farmers?
talzara

Post by talzara »

Northern Flicker wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:43 am
talzara wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:20 pm The top four companies have over 50% of the auto insurance market.
This has different market share data, but includes property casualty as well.
The top 10 property/casualty companies reporting to date have a cumulative market share of 50.04%.
Private passenger auto is on page 6. The top four companies -- State Farm, GEICO, Progressive, and Allstate -- have 52.14% of the auto insurance market.

Auto insurance is much more concentrated than the other lines of insurance, and it's getting more concentrated every year.
Northern Flicker

tj wrote: What criteria do you use to determine State Farm, Amica and Travelers would be better than Allstate, Liberty Mutual, Progressive, Nationwide or Farmers?
Personal experience and experiences of people I know with some of the companies (State Farm, Farmer's, Amica, Allstate, Progressive), issues with quotes from some of the companies, and ratings of claims experience by organizations I trust for the other companies on the list were how I arrived at my assessment of the companies for customer service. I had a hard time getting a quote from Traveler's which did not bode well, but they seem to be rated highly.

I mainly just consider State Farm and Amica for my insurance needs. I'm not in the category of people who need to deal with Chubb to meet insurance needs, but they have a high reputation for service, presumably with a cost level to match.

I'm not suggesting that the other companies are bad, or that they should be avoided. Rather, that State Farm and Amica may not be the cheapest options, but the extra cost (which is not dramatic) is worth it to me.

For auto insurance, I don't think it matters so much.

For homeowner's insurance, some companies seem cheaper, but they also may be rating the cost per square foot to rebuild lower, leading to a lower dollar value for the structure. If your house burns to the ground in that scenario, it won't be rebuilt with the same quality of finishings as you had, and the replacement house will be worth less.
LPSpecial

Post by LPSpecial »

OnTrack2020 wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:54 am We pay a ridiculous amount for umbrella--over $800 for $1M. I should add we do have young adult/teen drivers. I don't know if we can get it any lower.
We also have a young adult and a teen driver. The next renewal went up quite a bit. It is just under $700 for $1M of coverage.
Flobes

Post by Flobes »

My GEICO $1million umbrella renewal notice just arrived. Increase of $1, to $121 this year.

2021 $121 • 2019-2020 $120 • 2014-2018 $104

I was pleasantly surprised, having followed this conversation. Datapoint: Not all GEICO umbrellas are significantly increasing.
Gill

Post by Gill »

I hadn't paid much attention to this thread until my premium notice from Geico arrived. The Umbrella policy increased from $670 to $1,111 for $3M of coverage, a 66% increase on top of a smaller increase last year. We are the most risk free couple imaginable with a house and two cars which mainly sit in the garage (about 3,500 miles combined last year). Time to shop around.
Gill
Cost basis is redundant. One has a basis in an investment | One advises and gives advice | One should follow the principle of investing one's principal
patriciamgr2

Post by patriciamgr2 »

Yes - the bizarrely large percentage increase in my Nevada premium (and I am also someone who wouldn't appear to pose much underwriting risk either) is what prompted me to post in the first place. OTOH, Flobes' increase was in line with what I had experienced for many years--a miniscule premium increase. I don't know what state Flobes is in. Another poster noted that GEICO was playing "catch up" with premiums in some states. In any event, thanks to all for posting your experiences. We'd all love to learn of any experiences from shopping the coverage around. Regards, Patricia MG-er
Osprey

Post by Osprey »

Osprey wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:50 am I just got a notification that geico wasn’t going to renew my umbrella due to auto violations in 2019 and an accident by my child in 2016. Child is an adult who moved out of our house in 2018. Auto policies reflected no kids in house but umbrella didn’t. Have sent letter and utility bill showing child is living elsewhere and geico is reviewing the info.

Based on this thread I may get a price increase if they decide to offer me an umbrella policy renewal. Great info on this thread, so I won’t be surprised if I get a premium increase if they renew the policy. Time to shop around!
[ quote fixed by admin LadyGeek]

Geico decided to renew our $2M umbrella policy and the price increased from $449 to $479.
DesertGator

Post by DesertGator »

I can't remember the details, but I remember about a year ago Geico sent a policy change letter about that last renewal of my Umbrella, and I remember really not liking it. I wish I could remember what the change was.

In any case, I'd encourage you if you are keeping Geico's umbrella because you are happy with the rate, to review the last 1-2 years of policy terms/letters to make sure you are still happy with the wording.
Ron Ronnerson

Post by Ron Ronnerson »

$1M policy, renewed today. Went from $224 to $226, so a 1% increase.
TimeRunner

Post by TimeRunner »

$2M policy, renewing in August. Was $382.70 last year, $378 this year. I'm guessing it dropped a few $ because we reported fewer annual miles on our two Geico-insured cars. No other changes.
One cannot enlighten the unconscious. | "All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine." -Jeff Spicoli
patriciamgr2

Post by patriciamgr2 »

It's great that so many people are experiencing small (if any) increases. That had been my experience with my GEICO umbrella for over a decade in my state until this most recent renewal. Thanks again to everyone for taking the time to share your experience. If you're comfortable sharing your state, that may be helpful to others as well (I was told that statewide rates had increased when I pointed out that I didn't present risk factors).
boogiehead

Post by boogiehead »

Just got renewal earlier this month.. premium increased 30% from Mercury. This thread had me prepared, but still not happy, trying to get an answer from the agent, instead her first reply was so sorry to hear this :annoyed
RudyS

Post by RudyS »

Another data point. 2M umbrella from GEICO. Just renewed for $312, same as last year (our first with them). Massachusetts.
Millennial

Post by Millennial »

RudyS wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 9:39 pm Another data point. 2M umbrella from GEICO. Just renewed for $312, same as last year (our first with them). Massachusetts.
Also in MA, and my 2021 premium is also the exact same as 2020 at $307 for $1MM. Our driving records are perfect and no kids driving, but we do own rental property.
Bungo

Post by Bungo »

My Geico umbrella premium actually went down the last time I renewed it (11/29/20). $243/year vs. $249 the previous year, for $2 million coverage.

Car insurance has been steady at about $500/six months, except for a temporary dip to $425 last year during Covid.
Go Blue 99

Post by Go Blue 99 »

I just received my first umbrella quote with Geico (already have auto and home with them).

They quoted $273 for $1m and $491 for $2m. We decided to go with $1m for now.
staustin

Post by staustin »

hmm.... this made me look.. I'm embarrassed to say what I pay for a 2mm amica policy, although it includes 5 cars and three younger drivers.

I'm extremely loyal to amica though.
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

Go Blue 99 wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:44 pm I just received my first umbrella quote with Geico (already have auto and home with them).

They quoted $273 for $1m and $491 for $2m. We decided to go with $1m for now.
That’s ballpark what I pay. You’re doing okay.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
Kapre

Post by Kapre »

NYC
1 driver, 1 car
1 home (I rent)
Clean driving record
$2MM
2020: $502
2021: $761
seawolf21

Post by seawolf21 »

Looks like Geico don't write NJ umbrella policies anymore. It's all going to RLI.
patriciamgr2

Post by patriciamgr2 »

That's interesting about RLI. I know GEICO has been referring out homeowners'/renters' insurance to Travelers, Clearwater, etc.--I didn't realize they were doing that for umbrella coverage too. I hope the rates are better. I think of RLI as being a smaller insurer (I know the name from surety bond issuance). Please share your experience if you purchase your umbrella coverage from RLI.

Again, thanks to everyone for taking the time to share your experience. It makes us all better consumers. Regards, Patricia Mg-er
seawolf21

Post by seawolf21 »

patriciamgr2 wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 6:00 pm That's interesting about RLI. I know GEICO has been referring out homeowners'/renters' insurance to Travelers, Clearwater, etc.--I didn't realize they were doing that for umbrella coverage too. I hope the rates are better. I think of RLI as being a smaller insurer (I know the name from surety bond issuance). Please share your experience if you purchase your umbrella coverage from RLI.

Again, thanks to everyone for taking the time to share your experience. It makes us all better consumers. Regards, Patricia Mg-er
Rates are more expensive than Geico's old umbrella rates.

RLI rate calculator can be found here.
https://myportal.rlicorp.com/content/rl ... quote.html

RLI application that shows the risk factors.
https://www.rlicorp.com/pup-apps-rates

If you buy RLI umbrella thru GEICO, the RLI policy# shows up on your GEICO account but that's about it. No discounts or anything.
JustGotScammed

Post by JustGotScammed »

The type of person who would know what umbrella insurance is would never have a claim made against him/her that would apply an excess policy. Have any of you with umbrella insurance ever actually had a case resolve that resulted in a payment from the excess carrier?
patriciamgr2

Post by patriciamgr2 »

Absolutely no claims against umbrella. I personally have never had a claim where my insurance had to pay out on ANY of my policies (other than one tow) for over 4 decades; back then, it was a claim on H/O policy for an off-premises jewelry theft. But, I know a couple who had to access their umbrella in a car accident case where the other party was seriously injured. Given the costs of long-term rehab/assisted living, those judgments can be large. If people have assets that can be accessed to satisfy a judgment, I still think umbrella coverage makes sense (although it's possible I've been brainwashed by the industry) It used to be so inexpensive--it felt like a no-brainer. YMMV
investing engineer

Post by investing engineer »

Also experienced 20% premium bump with Farmers umbrella this month. Not sure if this is an industry-wide thing.
seawolf21

Post by seawolf21 »

Insurance. One of those things you wish you had it when you need it.
talzara

Post by talzara »

investing engineer wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:29 pm Also experienced 20% premium bump with Farmers umbrella this month. Not sure if this is an industry-wide thing.
Social inflation is causing an industrywide increase in umbrella insurance rates.
Examples of trends impacting claim size
  • Litigation funding ...
  • An increase in attorney involvement ...
  • Jury behavior ...
The insurance industry noted an average 17.3% increase to umbrella premiums during the first part of 2020. Umbrella pricing has been flat for consecutive years and the explosive cost increase is the re-shift in addressing capacity and profitability.

https://www.paynewest.com/resource/what ... inflation/
Invictus002

Did PUP prices go up?

Post by Invictus002 »

[Thread merged into here --admin LadyGeek]

I am shopping for PUP, I am with Geico for over a decade and have clean record/no claims for the entire time.
My auto rates are very competitive at Geico compared to USAA/State Farm/Amica, so sticking with them.

My $1M PUP quote was $499
Did the PUP prices go up by a good much?
My quote looks like almost double of what I have seen/heard.
Its just me and my spouse (clean records), 2 residential properties and two 7 year old cars.

Should I shop around more for PUP and auto policies with new carriers or is this reasonable and should I go ahead and purchase it?

Geico Quote:
Limit Policy Premium
$1 Million $499
$2 Million $898
$3 Million $1,198
$5 Million $1,572
------------------------------
2 = Vehicles
2 = Residential Properties
0 = Watercraft (other than Personal Watercraft)
0 = Personal Watercraft
0 = Drivers
0 = Drivers under the age of 22
0 = Drivers age 70 and older
0 = Violations
0 = At-Fault accidents
0 = Antique vehicles
0 = Drivers licensed < 1 year or non-U.S. license
0 = DUI/DWI
0 = Acres
0 = Properties outside U.S.
0 = Drivers age 21 and under and/or 80 and over with incident
No = Drivers over age 80
No = Uninsured/Underinsured Motorists Coverage
Yes=Bodily Injury limits at $300,000 per person/$300,000 per occurrence - Current Auto Policy
randybobandy

Re: Did PUP prices go up?

Post by randybobandy »

I would always shop around for more than 1 quote.

--Randy Bo Bandy
Grammar and spelling matter. | Quoting the OP isn't a necessity.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

I'd shop this too. My $5M policy through USAA is $675; two adults, one property (with pool), 2 vehicles. No children, no dogs.
Stay hydrated; don't sweat the small stuff
exodusNH

Post by exodusNH »

Invictus002 wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:44 am I am shopping for PUP, I am with Geico for over a decade and have clean record/no claims for the entire time.
My auto rates are very competitive at Geico compared to USAA/State Farm/Amica, so sticking with them.

My $1M PUP quote was $499
Did the PUP prices go up by a good much?
My quote looks like almost double of what I have seen/heard.
Its just me and my spouse (clean records), 2 residential properties and two 7 year old cars.

Should I shop around more for PUP and auto policies with new carriers or is this reasonable and should I go ahead and purchase it?

Geico Quote:
Limit Policy Premium
$1 Million $499
$2 Million $898
$3 Million $1,198
$5 Million $1,572
------------------------------
2 = Vehicles
2 = Residential Properties
0 = Watercraft (other than Personal Watercraft)
0 = Personal Watercraft
0 = Drivers
0 = Drivers under the age of 22
0 = Drivers age 70 and older
0 = Violations
0 = At-Fault accidents
0 = Antique vehicles
0 = Drivers licensed < 1 year or non-U.S. license
0 = DUI/DWI
0 = Acres
0 = Properties outside U.S.
0 = Drivers age 21 and under and/or 80 and over with incident
No = Drivers over age 80
No = Uninsured/Underinsured Motorists Coverage
Yes=Bodily Injury limits at $300,000 per person/$300,000 per occurrence - Current Auto Policy
That seems really high. My $1M with State Farm under $200/yr.

You should shop around for quotes for all of your insurance.

I've heard through this board that many insurance companies essentially offer new customer discounts that faze out over a couple of years -- essentially a customer loyalty penalty.
h82goslw

Post by h82goslw »

I have Geico as well and my umbrella policy, in a vacuum, is relatively expensive. Added a new driver and car two months ago after paying in full earlier in the year. Now I’m up to $800. Already had multiple cars and kids and a pool, oh and a dog too.

That being said, no one can come close to my Geico Auto and home and since I bundle everything the total cost is cheaper than any other company. And yes, I call around for a new policy yearly.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I merged Invictus002's thread into a similar discussion.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
PowderDay9

Post by PowderDay9 »

Just got my Geico umbrella renewal for January. The rate increase is 65% after a large increase last year too. Might need to shop it.
patriciamgr2

Post by patriciamgr2 »

I think it's always a good idea to shop insurance periodically. Not all carriers offer umbrella coverage unless you switch your underlying coverage too--but it's worth checking. If you don't mind, please consider posting your findings. Sharing information like this makes us all better consumers.
Bungo

Post by Bungo »

I recently consolidated all of my insurance with Amica, who turn out to be quite competitive for umbrella insurance. I was paying $243/year to Geico for $2 million coverage. With Amica I'm paying $356/year for $3 million coverage, with an estimated dividend (in effect a rebate) of $71/year, so $285/year net.