Based on neighborhood fireworks how is your local economy doing?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
Monsterflockster

Based on neighborhood fireworks how is your local economy doing?

Post by Monsterflockster »

No official town parade or fireworks show but from what I saw around the neighborhood stocks will be up tomorrow.
:D
Housedoc

Re: Based on neighborhood fireworks how is your local economy doing?

Post by Housedoc »

Things are GREAT where I am, plenty of $25 and $50 at a time set off for hours.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

lines at the food pantry are a better indicator. Still quite long.
Stay hydrated; don't sweat the small stuff
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

Monsterflockster wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:38 am No official town parade or fireworks show but from what I saw around the neighborhood stocks will be up tomorrow.
:D
Fireworks have been going off evenings through about 1 or 2 am for quite a few days now.

:annoyed

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
warowits

Post by warowits »

In a small town, with limited economic activity, it looked and sounded like world war 3.
ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico »

We awoke to a fog of cordite. The air quality is the worst I've ever seen, so the economy must be excellent!
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

warowits wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:05 am In a small town, with limited economic activity, it looked and sounded like world war 3.
Sometimes that way here too (rural area outside small town). Also at the start of dove hunting season and the start of goose season.
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

Lots of firework stands selling the 'approved' fireworks and collecting sales taxes on those.
Surprisingly large amount of illegal fireworks being used as well (assumed illegal because the large airborne fireworks are not approved in my area, there were no sanctioned firework display events, but they could be seen visibly all over town all night long).
🎆 🇺🇸🎆🇺🇸 🎆 🇺🇸🎆 🇺🇸🎆 🇺🇸🎆 🇺🇸🎆
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
arcticpineapplecorp.

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. »

Now I know where those stimulus checks went.
It's hard to accept the truth when the lies were exactly what you wanted to hear. Investing is simple, but not easy. Buy, hold & rebalance low cost index funds & manage taxable events. Asking Portfolio Questions | Wiki
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

The fireworks economy in my area is GREAT.

Never saw so many individuals blowing off some steam (and some serious money).
Retired life insurance company financial executive who sincerely believes that ”It’s a GREAT day to be alive!”
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

Must be plummeting here. The city park a half-mile away did not have their annual fireworks display. Heard sporadic fireworks from the neighborhood, but the dogs barely even blinked. We were watching the movie Midway last night and scarcely noticed the few fireworks that were going off.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

On vacation at the beach... Fireworks, parties and music all night.

Oh yeah, 75% of the young people who were at these parties have a good chance of getting COVID. No social distancing or masks were to be found n patios and decks packed with people.
CABob

Post by CABob »

Community parade and fireworks show were cancelled. Neighborhood fireworks were present but quite subdued as compared to prior years. Of course we are very concerned about wild fires (see Avatar showing a sunrise through smoky skies).
Bob
tomd37

Post by tomd37 »

Fireworks in the neighborhood were quickly stopped last night when Mother Nature gave huge presentation of her own fireworks that drove the neighbors inside very quickly never to return! I suspect they will be back out tonight. :annoyed
Tom D.
Nummerkins

Post by Nummerkins »

The fireworks business has been booming in Michigan. Tons of retailers sold out of product. Almost every city display cancelled. A friend of mine and I did a private display with professional fireworks in a field that was surrounded by houses on 3 sides. It seems like citizens picked up the slack this year.
Today's high is tomorrow's low.
CardioMD

Post by CardioMD »

Booming. Literally.
“The stock market is a giant distraction from the business of investing.” -Jack Bogle
SquirrelEater

Post by SquirrelEater »

Above average.

I hope next year is a repeat. I can see my town’s show from my driveway, miles away, and watch my neighbors battle each other in the sky. There were three very well funded launch points here.
I don’t know where the mosquitoes were last night, but they were not around. Too much smoke?

Saw a young man push brooming a cup de sac leaving the house today too. Nice to see someone cleaning!
I think everyone was finished around 11 too. Overall pleasant. Lots of the big kind too.

As usual, on the subdivision/community Facebook page, people are blowing up over the fireworks. The mischievous side of me finds that very humorous. Complaining is above average there.

I hope my neighbors saved enough for New Years Eve!
Murgatroyd

Post by Murgatroyd »

Fireworks apparently started a fire in the woods behind my house. I called 911.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

Illegal in my state. Heard a bunch that scared our cats. Someone burned down his garage with them. I wasn't close enough to hear if they first said "Watch this!" before setting off the mother of all fire starters. I guess a contractor somewhere will be economically boosted with the garage rebuild.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
Call_Me_Op

Post by Call_Me_Op »

arcticpineapplecorp. wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:14 am Now I know where those stimulus checks went.
exactly
Best regards, -Op | | "In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity." Einstein
Call_Me_Op

Post by Call_Me_Op »

tomd37 wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:25 am Fireworks in the neighborhood were quickly stopped last night when Mother Nature gave huge presentation of her own fireworks that drove the neighbors inside very quickly never to return! I suspect they will be back out tonight. :annoyed
Love when that happens. :)
Best regards, -Op | | "In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity." Einstein
Kookaburra

Post by Kookaburra »

I don’t understand the appeal of buying and setting off fireworks. It’s quite literally setting your cash on fire.
ScubaHogg

Post by ScubaHogg »

Either great or people were purposefully blowing up their own houses for the insurance money. :moneybag
There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your Expected Returns
02nz

Post by 02nz »

ClevrChico wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:08 am We awoke to a fog of cordite. The air quality is the worst I've ever seen, so the economy must be excellent!
In my area the air quality was off the charts bad. Really just what we needed in the middle of a respiratory pandemic!

I very much doubt there's a correlation with the economy. But I wouldn't be surprised at all if there were a correlation between illegal fireworks and COVID infection rates going forward (both correlated with irresponsible behavior).
obgraham

Post by obgraham »

People love their fireworks. So do I.

It makes no sense to ban them.
iamblessed

Post by iamblessed »

I don't think I ever heard so many fireworks as last night. They are Illegal where I live. LOL I live on the boarder of two towns that fireworks are both Illegal in. I think they are competing who can break the law more. Overall I think it is a good sign. In 2009 it was very quiet around the 4th of July.
Last edited by iamblessed on Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

obgraham wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:31 pm People love their fireworks. So do I.

can be very traumatic for pets and vets
Watty

Post by Watty »

A lot of fireworks could be a contrary indicator for the economy.

In good years in our neighborhood lots of people would have out of town spending money. If they are home then spending a hundred bucks on fireworks could easily be a fraction of what they would have spent in a normal year.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

Q: Based on neighborhood fireworks how is your local economy doing?
A: Booming.

Serious answer now...compared to things like rent and car payments, fireworks are cheap entertainment, and a lot of people have been stuck at home without a vacation for a really long time now. My dog would prefer that they stop, but she doesn't get a say.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Watty wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:58 pm A lot of fireworks could be a contrary indicator for the economy.
inferior good - like hamburger?
Nate79

Post by Nate79 »

Much more fireworks this year than last year but I figure it is more to do with almost all local fireworks shows being cancelled due to Covid19.
mnnice

Post by mnnice »

Watty wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:58 pm A lot of fireworks could be a contrary indicator for the economy.
There also might be an inverse relationship between ability to truly afford fireworks and your impulse control.
Carguy85

Post by Carguy85 »

Fireworks, smokes, alcohol, and lottery tickets...hmmm probably recession proof.
Taylor Larimore

Empire State Fireworks !

Post by Taylor Larimore »

Bogleheads:

I hope that you were able to see the 4th of July fireworks sent from the top of the Empire State Building in N.Y. City. I can't remember seeing more beautiful fireworks anywhere.

Best wishes.
Taylor
Jack Bogle's Words of Wisdom: "By worshiping at the altar of numbers and by discounting the immeasurable (trust, wisdom, character, ethical values), we have in effect created a numeric economy that can easily undermine the real one."
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
vtjon02

Post by vtjon02 »

I hate people who set off fireworks.
friar1610

Post by friar1610 »

Jack FFR1846 wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:40 pm Illegal in my state. Heard a bunch that scared our cats. Someone burned down his garage with them. I wasn't close enough to hear if they first said "Watch this!" before setting off the mother of all fire starters. I guess a contractor somewhere will be economically boosted with the garage rebuild.
And we've certainly given the NH economy a nice boost!
Friar1610 | 50-ish/50-ish - a satisficer, not a maximizer
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Re: Empire State Fireworks !

Post by abuss368 »

Taylor Larimore wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:13 pm Bogleheads:

I hope that you were able to see the 4th of July fireworks sent from the top of the Empire State Building in N.Y. City. I can't remember seeing more beautiful fireworks anywhere.

Best wishes.
Taylor
Jack Bogle's Words of Wisdom: "By worshiping at the altar of numbers and by discounting the immeasurable (trust, wisdom, character, ethical values), we have in effect created a numeric economy that can easily undermine the real one."
Wow! I did not know they did that. Did you watch on television?
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

Doom&Gloom wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:02 am Must be plummeting here. The city park a half-mile away did not have their annual fireworks display. Heard sporadic fireworks from the neighborhood, but the dogs barely even blinked. We were watching the movie Midway last night and scarcely noticed the few fireworks that were going off.
I'm going to amend my response: apparently my neighbors are flush because there seem to be more fireworks tonight than last night. DW suggested that the fireworks might have been on sale for 50% off today :moneybag
mrsbetsy

Post by mrsbetsy »

Fireworks are illegal where I live.

One landed in a trashcan outside an elementary school, caught the school on fire, and nearly burned to the ground.

Firefighters have been extremely busy putting out fires all over our dry hills.

People must have money to literally burn, but our county coiffeurs are surely hurting from it.

Because of COVID and the dry hills, there are no city fireworks. Maybe it would be cheaper to make them official so people are entertaining themselves dangerously and illegally.

I don't understand it.
telemark

Post by telemark »

jebmke wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:55 pm
obgraham wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:31 pm People love their fireworks. So do I.

can be very traumatic for pets and vets
And people with lungs. In Salt Lake City, particulate measurements (as reported by airnow.gov) jumped through red (unhealthy) into purple (very unhealthy), peaking at 239 at 1 am, then spent the next eleven hours gradually improving into a merely moderate yellow at 86. First time I've ever seen it anywhere near that high, and also the first time I've worn a pollution mask indoors. The air purifiers just weren't doing the job.
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

To put it in perspective - the show started around 8:30 pm and continued until 2 am this morning. However, its a tale of two worlds, the other side is hurting terribly, the food pantries are running low and the demand has gone up! I would not say that we are anywhere near back to where we were in the first quarter and 3rd quarter results are not likely to be better. People are cautious.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
boomer_techie

Post by boomer_techie »

According to my neighborhood, we're headed for a mega-depression. Maybe even a cannibalistic extinction event.

(Of course living in a tinder dry forest might have something to do with the total lack of fireworks...)
Taylor Larimore

Re: Empire State Fireworks !

Post by Taylor Larimore »

abuss368 wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:21 pm
Taylor Larimore wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:13 pm Bogleheads:

Best wishes.
Taylor
abuss368 wrote:
Wow! I did not know they did that. Did you watch on television?
abuss368:

Yes.

Taylor
Jack Bogle's Words of Wisdom: “And never forget the important role of luck in your life. Never, never, never, never say, ‘I did it all myself.’ Nobody does it all themselves. And when somebody has the temerity to tell me they did, I say to them: ‘That’s wonderful. I’m not sure I’ve ever met anybody who did it all themselves, but could I ask you one question: How did you arrange to be born in the United States of America?’"
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
Whakamole

Post by Whakamole »

People have way too much money.
geerhardusvos

Post by geerhardusvos »

Whakamole wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:38 am People have way too much money.
Or they are just very willing to spend the money they have, and even money they don’t have
VTSAX and chill
cheapedy

Post by cheapedy »

My tinnitus was aggravated by a loud explosion next door as I watered my summer squash. It was 8:30am! Thought I was safe.
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

What fireworks?
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

Booming?
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
Golf maniac

Post by Golf maniac »

Saw a video from a helicopter over LA, it looked like the whole city was shooting them off. Crazy. And they were not the little ones, it was the really big ones.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

cheapedy wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:17 pm My tinnitus was aggravated by a loud explosion next door as I watered my summer squash. It was 8:30am! Thought I was safe.
Same here; and partial hearing loss, mainly on one side. A lot of folks don't realize that loud can be very disorienting for people with hearing impairment. I had to leave a restaurant mid-meal once because I was getting so disoriented I thought I was having a stroke.