IRS refund delay

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
cyborg

IRS refund delay

Post by cyborg »

Anyone else having long delays in their refund? Mine is now over 2 months since filing. I filed electronically and it still says “being processed” on the “where’s my refund” app on the irs website. It’s never taken this long before.
jebmke

Re: IRS refund delay

Post by jebmke »

This sounds like something flagged your return for a review and it may be sitting in a queue waiting for a human to come back to work and get caught up. This can happen even if it is later released back to the process and processed normally. It doesn't necessarily mean there is a defect in your return.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
celia

Post by celia »

Many federal agencies are working from home or not at all. The IRS still has the additional burden of distributing the stimulus checks before they can look at the tax returns. They have now moved on to folks for whom they don't have a bank account and thus have to send the check / debit cards in the mail.
tomd37

Post by tomd37 »

Cyborg - Your situation is exactly why I set my withholding to owe the government rather than wait on the government to refund me. Also if any of the SSNs shown on the return were used fraudulently by someone else at least I would not have to wait for a refund.
Tom D.
LilyFleur

Post by LilyFleur »

celia wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:58 pm Many federal agencies are working from home or not at all. The IRS still has the additional burden of distributing the stimulus checks before they can look at the tax returns. They have now moved on to folks for whom they don't have a bank account and thus have to send the check / debit cards in the mail.
I just received a letter from the president about my stimulus money. It arrived weeks after my stimulus money was electronically deposited into my bank account. The IRS is quite busy.
tomd37

Post by tomd37 »

And boy did they mess up a lot of people by sending out those debit cards in the mail. I am sure many letters containing them did not even get opened up and some of those that were opened might have gone in the trash. No word from the government ahead of time to be on the lookout for these cards. :? All advice prior to then was your "check" would be in the mail or direct deposited.

[OT comment removed by admin LadyGeek]
Tom D.
Jesa

Post by Jesa »

I had the same situation. Filed and accepted on April 3rd. Checked regluarly and it was still being processed. To my surprise, woke up this morning and it has a deposit date of June 10th.

Hang tight, I bet yours gets the green light any day.
the way

Post by the way »

tomd37 wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:23 pm And boy did they mess up a lot of people by sending out those debit cards in the mail. I am sure many letters containing them did not even get opened up and some of those that were opened might have gone in the trash. No word from the government ahead of time to be on the lookout for these cards. :? All advice prior to then was your "check" would be in the mail or direct deposited.

[OT comment removed by admin LadyGeek]
This seems to be more on the news media. The IRS and Mnuchin did publicize this multiple times, including in their press confs, but I never saw it reported in the news. Much of the press confs seemed to not get thru to the public because the news would focus on what they wanted to focus on (for example an argument between one of the reporters and person speaking).

Mnuchin mentioned multiple times they were using debit cards to get the money out quicker because some in Congress complained that sending out checks hurt people without bank accounts.
IceNine

Post by IceNine »

My paper return was postmarked on April 14. It has now been about 2.5 months, and I am still waiting. I check on the where's my refund site and all I ever get is: "You may not have entered your information correctly. Please verify your personal tax data and try again." despite not making any errors.

Is this pretty common?
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

I'd be surprised if they have even started processing. They claim they will be processing these in the order received. Inasmuch as a lot of people may be ahead of you, I'd sit back for a few months and check again in the fall.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
M.Lee

Post by M.Lee »

jebmke wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:12 am I'd be surprised if they have even started processing. They claim they will be processing these in the order received. Inasmuch as a lot of people may be ahead of you, I'd sit back for a few months and check again in the fall.
I posted earlier that I filed a paper return in mid FEBRUARY. For several months, It has been stating that they have received the return and are processing it. This morning, the message changed to the following, and i am not sure if 'reviewing' is a stage up or down from 'processing'. At least they are doing something with my return. I don't need the refund, but I worry about having to deal with IRS on what could be a hassle because the return is for a deceased person.

Refund Status Results

We have received your tax return and it is being reviewed.
Please Note:
For refund information, please continue to check here, or use our free mobile app, IRS2Go. Updates to refund status are made no more than once a day.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

M.Lee wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:01 am
jebmke wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:12 am I'd be surprised if they have even started processing. They claim they will be processing these in the order received. Inasmuch as a lot of people may be ahead of you, I'd sit back for a few months and check again in the fall.
I posted earlier that I filed a paper return in mid FEBRUARY. For several months, It has been stating that they have received the return and are processing it. This morning, the message changed to the following, and i am not sure if 'reviewing' is a stage up or down from 'processing'. At least they are doing something with my return. I don't need the refund, but I worry about having to deal with IRS on what could be a hassle because the return is for a deceased person.

Refund Status Results

We have received your tax return and it is being reviewed.
Please Note:
For refund information, please continue to check here, or use our free mobile app, IRS2Go. Updates to refund status are made no more than once a day.
Good to know. At least we now have a date marker for what appears to be the start of paper processing.
IceNine

Post by IceNine »

I have yet to get a message that says that they have received my return. It was postmarked on April 15. All I get on Where's-My-Refund is:
You may not have entered your information correctly. Please verify your personal tax data and try again.
Please confirm your Social Security Number, Filing Status and Refund Amount shown below.
I guess I just have to be more patient.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

IceNine wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:24 am I guess I just have to be more patient.
Based on M Lee's post above, they are just digging into the February truckloads.
the way

Post by the way »

jebmke wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:28 am
IceNine wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:24 am I guess I just have to be more patient.
Based on M Lee's post above, they are just digging into the February truckloads.
I know someone who paper-filed this month with a paper check for amount owed, and it was cashed 7 days later.

I was tempted to file my own paper return with large refund to the same address, since once they opened it wouldn't they just go ahead and process it? But I chickened out and sent it to the proper address...with the expected wait time of several months (but hopefully some interest though).
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

the way wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:20 pm I know someone who paper-filed this month with a paper check for amount owed, and it was cashed 7 days later.
They have a dedicated destination for returns with payments. The payments were processed but the returns were set aside.
IceNine

Post by IceNine »

I know someone who paper-filed this month with a paper check for amount owed, and it was cashed 7 days later.

I was tempted to file my own paper return with large refund to the same address, since once they opened it wouldn't they just go ahead and process it? But I chickened out and sent it to the proper address...with the expected wait time of several months (but hopefully some interest though).
Don't hold your breath or count on any interest.
M.Lee

Post by M.Lee »

Well, another month has gone by, and still no refund for me. Has anyone else gotten theirs? To be honest, I'm getting peeved about this.
TheDDC

Post by TheDDC »

M.Lee wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:28 am Well, another month has gone by, and still no refund for me. Has anyone else gotten theirs? To be honest, I'm getting peeved about this.
Same here. I filed via paper February 2/27/2020. The IRS refund website is still useless. I wonder if we will get a refund before the website even tells us. I expect to structure things in the future so as never to expect a refund as a result of this ridiculousness.

-TheDDC
Rules to wealth building: 75-80% VTSAX piled high and deep, 20-25% VTIAX, 0% given away to banks.
IceNine

Post by IceNine »

I filed my paper return on April 14, 2020.

Pretty simple return: I filed a 1040-SR (married filing jointly), one W-2, one 1099-R, one Schedule B (for interest income).

Still no refund after 3+ months.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

TheDDC wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:32 am I expect to structure things in the future so as never to expect a refund
a good practice, wherever possible. efile unless you absolutely cannot; always owe if possible.
TheDDC

Post by TheDDC »

jebmke wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:39 am
TheDDC wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:32 am I expect to structure things in the future so as never to expect a refund
a good practice, wherever possible. efile unless you absolutely cannot; always owe if possible.
I will see if my CPA is able to e-file (at no added cost). My refund is typically a few hundred ($330 this year), so no big deal but still annoying.

-TheDDC
Rules to wealth building: 75-80% VTSAX piled high and deep, 20-25% VTIAX, 0% given away to banks.
Lalamimi

Post by Lalamimi »

I e-filed Feb 17, took until April 17 to be finalized, can only imagine the backlog now.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

TheDDC wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:44 am still annoying.
lol; I didn't get my 2009 refund until June of 2012. It was six figures (but didn't belong to me since it was due back to my company as part of a tax-equalization plan)
tomd37

Post by tomd37 »

I can understand people filing paper returns are concerned about not receiving their refund. But you have to keep in mind that the IRS, like many other companies, was shut down completely due to the pandemic and are just now beginning to open back up and start processing millions upon millions of paper returns.

What I cannot get a grasp on is why people file paper returns when there are so many other options available for free and electronically. And why do people lend the government money during the year instead of receiving the money during the year and owing the government money. :?

Imagine what might happen if one of the social security numbers on your return was stolen and a return was filed prior to yours. Your return is going to reject and your will have to refile and wait many months for your refund. I have a good friend who had to wait eight months when a SSN on his return was used by someone else on a fraudulent return.

I am not saying all returns can be submitted electronically, but surely more could be or other alternatives could be implemented.
Tom D.
M.Lee

Post by M.Lee »

tomd37 wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:06 am I can understand people filing paper returns are concerned about not receiving their refund. But you have to keep in mind that the IRS, like many other companies, was shut down completely due to the pandemic and are just now beginning to open back up and start processing millions upon millions of paper returns.

What I cannot get a grasp on is why people file paper returns when there are so many other options available for free and electronically. And why do people lend the government money during the year instead of receiving the money during the year and owing the government money. :?

Imagine what might happen if one of the social security numbers on your return was stolen and a return was filed prior to yours. Your return is going to reject and your will have to refile and wait many months for your refund. I have a good friend who had to wait eight months when a SSN on his return was used by someone else on a fraudulent return.

I am not saying all returns can be submitted electronically, but surely more could be or other alternatives could be implemented.
If you had read some our previous posts you would know why some of us filed on paper. I had no choice. I was filing for a deceased person I had to send in copies of documents. Furthermore, if other places are considered 'essential services' the IRS should be as well. People are standing on the assembly lines in food production plants, picking our crops, etc.
tomd37

Post by tomd37 »

M.Lee - Just curious. Was IRS Form 1310 not sufficient for filing for a decedent? I usually end up filing one a year for the people I deal with and have no problems submitting electronically, but your circumstances very well could be different.
Tom D.
Count of Notre Dame

Post by Count of Notre Dame »

I logged into the track my refund app and received this message:

"We received your tax return and it is being reviewed. You will receive a notice from us requesting you to provide additional information within 30 calendar days. You may not receive all or part of your refund until we receive and review the information requested. If you need more information after you receive our noticed, call the number on the notice."

I've been audited before, but never before paying my tax bill (or receiving a refund)! I filed early June and haven't received the IRS letter yet.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

Count of Notre Dame wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:31 am I logged into the track my refund app and received this message:

"We received your tax return and it is being reviewed. You will receive a notice from us requesting you to provide additional information within 30 calendar days. You may not receive all or part of your refund until we receive and review the information requested. If you need more information after you receive our noticed, call the number on the notice."

I've been audited before, but never before paying my tax bill (or receiving a refund)! I filed early June and haven't received the IRS letter yet.
That sounds pretty ominous to me.

Let us know what your IRS notice says when you receive it.
Retired life insurance company financial executive who sincerely believes that ”It’s a GREAT day to be alive!”
Count of Notre Dame

Stinky wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:49 am
Count of Notre Dame wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:31 am I logged into the track my refund app and received this message:

That sounds pretty ominous to me.

Let us know what your IRS notice says when you receive it.
Yes my best guess is there is a simple error (but I used Turbotax) or I screwed up tracking the basis of my wife's final K-1 for selling her medical practice. But I would be surprised if they identified a more complicated error like that so quickly? I was previously audited because I did indirect rollovers for 401k / IRAs and the IRS assumed I didn't do it right within the time period and billed me for the tax. I supplied the supporting documents of for the rollover and they said it was fine.
M.Lee

Post by M.Lee »

tomd37 wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:25 am M.Lee - Just curious. Was IRS Form 1310 not sufficient for filing for a decedent? I usually end up filing one a year for the people I deal with and have no problems submitting electronically, but your circumstances very well could be different.
I did not know of such a form. I filed the 1040 because I thought it was required when income was earned. In fact, there are questions on the 1040 asking if the person is deceased. I just did a quick read of the 1310 instructions and even with that form if you are an estate administrator, you need prove it by sending a letter which cannot be efiled. I filed my NJ state return at the same time as my IRS return, and got the refund back in lightening speed.
LilyFleur

Post by LilyFleur »

I filed electronically a few days before the July deadline. My state refund came in just a few days, and I think I got my federal refund a week and a half later. I usually get a very small refund (like $11 for federal one year).
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Count of Notre Dame wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:31 am I've been audited before, but never before paying my tax bill (or receiving a refund)! I filed early June and haven't received the IRS letter yet
This has happened to me a couple of times. Both times were flagged for more documentation. It isn't a big deal if you have documentation when they question something. Often it just means you tripped some range on something like a large deduction. Some areas are getting more scrutiny (Schedule C and Miscellaneous Other Income - what used to appear on Line 21)
Count of Notre Dame

jebmke wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:09 pm
Count of Notre Dame wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:31 am I've been audited before, but never before paying my tax bill (or receiving a refund)! I filed early June and haven't received the IRS letter yet
This has happened to me a couple of times. Both times were flagged for more documentation. It isn't a big deal if you have documentation when they question something. Often it just means you tripped some range on something like a large deduction. Some areas are getting more scrutiny (Schedule C and Miscellaneous Other Income - what used to appear on Line 21)
I have support for it all but not 100% sure if I filled it out right as it gets a bit complicated :)
M.Lee

Post by M.Lee »

Finally..........

Refund Status Results
Print your Refund Results for your records. Take the survey.

Return ReceivedRefund ApprovedRefund Sent
Your return has been processed and refund amount approved.Your return has been processed and refund amount approved.

Your tax refund is scheduled to be mailed by July 31, 2020. If you do not receive the refund by August 28, 2020, please contact us again. We are unable to take any action until then.
Please Note:
Wrench

Post by Wrench »

Lucky you. Filed paper return mid-March and nothing yet. (Tried to e-file in both TurboTax and H&R Block but neither would not accept it, presumably b/c of QBI credit).
When you get your refund, post back and let us know if they paid interest from 4/15 as they are supposed to. (I have a substantial refund coming intentionally so I could buy an iBond with it - goodness knows when THAT might actually appear).
This site:
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/25/uncle-s ... xable.html
claims 5% interest will be paid on refunds after 4/15. At that rate, I hope they don't process my return until next April! :happy
Sandwich

Post by Sandwich »

Here's an update with data that may provide timing data for others

Tax return for relative sent via USPS certified mail on or around March 7th to the IRS Fresno, CA office

Refund Status Results

Your tax refund is scheduled to be sent to your bank by July 29, 2020.
If your refund is not credited to your account by August 3, 2020, check with your bank to see if it has been received.

(Refund amount includes interest)
M.Lee

Post by M.Lee »

Wrench wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:34 pm Lucky you. Filed paper return mid-March and nothing yet. (Tried to e-file in both TurboTax and H&R Block but neither would not accept it, presumably b/c of QBI credit).
When you get your refund, post back and let us know if they paid interest from 4/15 as they are supposed to. (I have a substantial refund coming intentionally so I could buy an iBond with it - goodness knows when THAT might actually appear).
This site:
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/25/uncle-s ... xable.html
claims 5% interest will be paid on refunds after 4/15. At that rate, I hope they don't process my return until next April! :happy
I don't think it is going to include interest because they showed the amount I was getting. Interestingly, the amount was $1 less than what was on my return.
perrault

Post by perrault »

IceNine wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:47 am My paper return was postmarked on April 14. It has now been about 2.5 months, and I am still waiting. I check on the where's my refund site and all I ever get is: "You may not have entered your information correctly. Please verify your personal tax data and try again." despite not making any errors.

Is this pretty common?
Just curious, did you ever get an update or has your status changed? I posted my return on around April 25 and I have been getting that same exact message from the IRS web tool.
IceNine

Post by IceNine »

I have not heard or seen anything.

I was checking the IRS website for "Where's My Refund" every day. But, I have not checked in a few. It was getting old.

So, I continue to wait ... patiently.
TheDDC

Post by TheDDC »

perrault wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:45 am
IceNine wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:47 am My paper return was postmarked on April 14. It has now been about 2.5 months, and I am still waiting. I check on the where's my refund site and all I ever get is: "You may not have entered your information correctly. Please verify your personal tax data and try again." despite not making any errors.

Is this pretty common?
Just curious, did you ever get an update or has your status changed? I posted my return on around April 25 and I have been getting that same exact message from the IRS web tool.
I mailed mine in around late February and I am still getting this same message. Nothing has changed.

-TheDDC
earlyout

Post by earlyout »

As many have pointed out, efile if you can. I efiled on July 16 ( a day late, I know) and my refund was deposited on July 24. 8 days.
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

I actually got through to someone at the IRS last week. I file by paper and owed. The check was deposited in Feb. but I still I want to be sure. He said verified the check was deposited but the return is still not processed. They are still not up to being fully staffed. He said their goal was to get caught up on the backlog by Sept. 12 and to call back after that.
"History is the memory of time, the life of the dead and the happiness of the living." Captain John Smith 1580-1631
mickeyd

Post by mickeyd »

I spoke with an IRS rep. (yes you can speak to one) yesterday regarding my amended return (since March 2020) and was told that the Austin office will BEGIN working on that batch in early August 2020. :oops:
Part-Owner of Texas | | “The CMH-the Cost Matters Hypothesis -is all that is needed to explain why indexing must and will work… Yes, it is that simple.” John C. Bogle
marcopolo

Post by marcopolo »

earlyout wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:43 am As many have pointed out, efile if you can. I efiled on July 16 ( a day late, I know) and my refund was deposited on July 24. 8 days.
It seems to only help in some cases.
My son efiled in mid-march, it is still "processing"
Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
bighatnohorse

Post by bighatnohorse »

Got it!
Filed electronically prior to April 15 and after a long "processing" period got it last week (July 15 approximately).
And it included interest.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

bighatnohorse wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:48 am Got it!
Filed electronically prior to April 15 and after a long "processing" period got it last week (July 15 approximately).
And it included interest.
but you got the acknowledgement much earlier, right? I efiled in June and got the ack within 10 minutes. I always owe so it didn't affect the money side of the equation.
FelixTheCat

Post by FelixTheCat »

I spoke to the IRS regarding the delays. I was told they were shut down for 2 months and they are working on the backlog. My state refunded money promptly.
Felix is a wonderful, wonderful cat.
perrault

Post by perrault »

IceNine wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:31 am I have not heard or seen anything.

I was checking the IRS website for "Where's My Refund" every day. But, I have not checked in a few. It was getting old.

So, I continue to wait ... patiently.
Thanks for replying! At least I'm not alone. Definitely have to get my tax attorney to efile next year, he's old school.