Probationary period for new job

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
Calhoon

Probationary period for new job

Post by Calhoon »

Just started a new job. Today was the first day. In passing my new boss had asked if anyone had mentioned to about the 90 day probationary period.

Is it standard for new employers to impose a probationary period like this on new hires, and I just hadn't realized it before?

I've only worked at a couple different employers over my career and don't seem to remember it at the last place..though I did think that you had to wait a couple months before they'd let you enroll in their 401k program.
bob60014

Re: Probationary period for new job

Post by bob60014 »

Quite normal and surprised it wasnt brought up during the interview and orientation. I haven't had any job that did not have a probationary period, longest being for a year.
mmmodem

Post by mmmodem »

All of the places I've worked at had an unspoken 3 month probationary periods. It wasn't a official rule but most managers gave their employees about 3 months to learn the job before they were fired.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

bob60014 wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 4:56 pm Quite normal and surprised it wasnt brought up during the interview and orientation. I haven't had any job that did not have a probationary period, longest being for a year.
+1
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

Calhoon wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 4:52 pm Just started a new job. Today was the first day. In passing my new boss had asked if anyone had mentioned to about the 90 day probationary period.

Is it standard for new employers to impose a probationary period like this on new hires, and I just hadn't realized it before?

I've only worked at a couple different employers over my career and don't seem to remember it at the last place..though I did think that you had to wait a couple months before they'd let you enroll in their 401k program.
Here's a bit of career advice - every day you are at work is an audition. Do the best you can because even after the disclosed or undisclosed probationary period ends, if you don't perform, you will be gone eventually.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch »

This should have been disclosed in your offer letter and the company’s employee handbook. Do a good job and it shouldn’t be an issue.

I am familiar with companies that have a 90-day probationary period for new hires. The main reason for the policy was it was less legal risk for the company to let an employee on probation go if the employee didn’t work out. This was for non-union employees without employment agreements in an employment at-will state.
Topic Author
Calhoon

Post by Calhoon »

No, nothing was said about it in the interviews or offer letter and I didn't see anything in any literature I had received before my first day, which was where I learned about it.
yangtui

Post by yangtui »

I wouldn't worry about it. Just do your best and carry-on.
Helo80

Post by Helo80 »

Pretty normal... usually with government (city/state/fed) it's more formalized such that employment lawyers don't eat them up as their assets (governments) are deep. I'd only be worried if you go in and the water cooler talk with your co-workers is something crazy like 50% of people are let-go. That can sometimes mean the company is horrible, or they're trying to cycle employees and pull some type of employment scam (e.g. some places do the temporary worker route and dangle a carrot of a FT offer for good employees.... but basically 1% of people get that offer)
Thank God for Wall Street Bets.
8foot7

Post by 8foot7 »

Make no mistake, everyone has a probationary period when they start a new job. It’s just sometimes they explicitly tell you
Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe »

Calhoon wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 4:52 pm Just started a new job. Today was the first day. In passing my new boss had asked if anyone had mentioned to about the 90 day probationary period.

Yes, 90 days is standard.
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

They are common. I have no idea why.

I live in an at-will state. You’re always on probation. If you screw up, you can be canned. If they don’t want you around for some other reason, you can be canned, etc.

So, I totally would not worry about it. Everybody should live every day to prove their worth at work and earn their keep.

Show up everyday with a great attitude, do your best, and you’ll be just fine. That’s more than most people do.....
DVMResident

Post by DVMResident »

Fairly common, but you should have been told.

It’s also a little odd your manager asked if you knew about it. Maybe the policy is not well communicated, it’s new, or the manager has his/her own version.

But it doesn’t matter much. The first 90 days sets a tone-first impressions. Do a good job, learn, and become productive and you should be fine.
xxsocraticxx

Post by xxsocraticxx »

I would suggest you get to financial security quickly so you can be in a position to give the company a 90 probationary period !! It is call F...You money.
Watty

Post by Watty »

That should have been clear in the offer letter along with some things like when your health benefits start.
They should have had you sign something saying that you understood that there was a probationary period. Someone screwed up if they did not give you that before you committed to the job. I would suspect that with the pandemic something disrupted their normal procedures.

For the most part it does not make a lot of difference since most states have at will employment and they can let you go after 90 days for pretty much any reason just like when you were on probation. One way that it might make a difference is that you may not get benefits for 90 days and you may not be able to get unemployment insurance if you are let go while on probation.

I once worked for a company that had lots of low paid low skilled workers had jobs that had very high turnover. Many of them did not make it through the probationary period for good reason. They set up employment rules to handle having lots of low level employees but it needed to apply to all employees including their professional staff. If it seems odd that they would have rules like that for your position it could be because they need to have the same rules for everyone.

It is not related to your situation but I once knew someone that had started a new tech job with a 90 day probation. When he got in there, at least in his opinion, the management was being very unreasonable and unprofessional. He was fed up with the situation and on the 89th day he went to the office and reminded them about the 90 day probation and told the managers that the company had failed the probationary period and he was leaving. He then walked out. He said that the managers were pretty much at a loss for words since they had never had that happen before and they did not know how to react.
crinkles2

Post by crinkles2 »

In my experience, it is typical, and has always been in the employment agreement. 6 months in all my positions.

Essentially it allowed termination without any benefits like accrued leave, notice period, etc. Only after the probationary period you were then entitled to those things. It's a way for employers to give someone who is obviously not the right fit the flick without significant costs, before the probations expires.

My current position - my employer was gracious enough to remove the probation from the contract, so we could get mortgage financing (no one really wants to lend several 100k to someone in a new job in a probationary period). I insisted I'm OK with a verbal agreement only. But we are a very small organisation, with flexibility unlike large corporations.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

It's not always 90 days, but there is almost always an official or unoffical provisional period.
Topic Author
Calhoon

Post by Calhoon »

Then probably did have it at my last job as well and just didn't realize it or it was understated.

Last night I did go through the offer letter and all literature and I'm positive there wasn't a word about it. How it had come up was that my new boss had said that there would be no vacation in the first three months because of the probationary period.

I know that you can get fired at any time and so you are always on probation, but it came across sounding like they were kicking the tires before buying type thing. But from the responses here I'm getting the sense that this is quite common and just the way it is.
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

It’s best to consider every job as having a permanent probationary period.
lstone19

Post by lstone19 »

Unless you're in a union position, you're always on probation. I've never considered being told there's a probation period to really have any meaning in a non-union position (although some companies use it as a shorthand way to say you don't have full benefits until then which is really a separate matter). In a union environment, being on probation means the company can terminate you for any reason and you have no recourse to the termination part of the union agreement nor can the union file a grievance on your behalf.
hudson

Post by hudson »

Grt2bOutdoors wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 5:01 pm Do the best you can because even after the disclosed or undisclosed probationary period ends, if you don't perform, you will be gone eventually.
My plan going into any job was above.
My last employer had a 90 day probationary period and I saw them use it several times. I think that the HR person, the supervisor, and others actually sat down and made a decision about a week before the 90 days was up.

It works both ways. Except for military service, you can resign any day. You can be replaced, and so can your employer.
In 50 years, I only "fired" one employer. I ran 8 draw machines in a loud and dusty textile plant on third shift. I was isolated by the noise....very little human interaction.
mhc

Post by mhc »

I wouldn't worry about it. You probably have your employer on permanent probation. They screw up and you are gone. Works both ways.
Onlineid3089

Post by Onlineid3089 »

It's standard where I work with an evaluation at 90 days. At that time we'd move them to permanent, extend the probationary period, or terminate. I always scheduled that 90 day eval with the employee during the first day or two of their on-boarding process.

As said by most, it's really nothing to worry about.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

I feel as though my entire career has been a "Probationary Period". At least for the last 25 years every employer I have worked for has had an employment-at-will policy. So if I started a new job and someone told me I was in a 90 day probation period I would just scratch my head and wonder how that differed from my last 25 years of employment. So what are these "Probation Periods" really about? Do they withhold a percentage of salary or benefits for the first 3 months? Or are they used in states where Employment-at-will policies aren't enough?
MathWizard

Post by MathWizard »

We have performance reviews quarterly for the first year. This is to document that a new employee is set in the right direction.

After that it is annual reviews.

Myself, I make sure that my employees stay aligned with the goals of the company. Why else would we pay them. I've had no problems when I provide continuous feedback. People want to know that what they are doing is valued.
Sconie

Post by Sconie »

HomeStretch wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 5:01 pm This should have been disclosed in your offer letter and the company’s employee handbook. Do a good job and it shouldn’t be an issue.

I am familiar with companies that have a 90-day probationary period for new hires. The main reason for the policy was it was less legal risk for the company to let an employee on probation go if the employee didn’t work out. This was for non-union employees without employment agreements in an employment at-will state.
Actually, probationary periods----of a variety of different lengths-----originally became formalized and placed into writing because of unions and because such procedures were formalized in the labor agreement. Most commonly, employees hired into union-represented jobs could be let go, their employment terminated, for any reason during their probationary period; such dismissal was not subject to the grievance and arbitration procedure-----and often, such employees were not eligible to join the union until the probationary period was completed.
I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. - Alan Greenspan
bogledogle

Post by bogledogle »

The most important thing is what your manager said about the probationary period. Did they give you a task to accomplish and talk about probation? What did they say about it?
sd323232

Post by sd323232 »

90 day probation does not really mean anything. If company does not need an employee, employee will get laid off, regardless of 90 days or not.

As long as you bring your A game to the job everyday, whether it is your first day into your job, or 10 years into your job, you will be fine.

Dont think you will be safe past 90 days lol, never get too comfy
Candor

Post by Candor »

At my company there is a 90 day probation period and at any time they can let you go if it is 'not working out'. Once you are beyond the probationary period the firing process is much more involved unless it is a serious 'grounds for immediate termination' offense. Once you make it past the first 90 days they are required to give an employee a verbal warning, then a written warning and then you go on probation with a written action plan to correct the issue and if it is not resolved the employment is terminated.
Time is your friend, impulse is your enemy. - John C. Bogle
avenger

Post by avenger »

Yup. I’m a physician in an employed practice and mine was 1 year when I started.
cheers ... -Mark | "Our life is frittered away with detail. Simplify. Simplify." -Henry David Thoreau | [VTI, VXUS, VWITX, SV fund]