Vanguard and Yodlee Issues

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
jst

Vanguard and Yodlee Issues

Post by jst »

Starting a few days ago, I've been having major issues with Yodlee.

I use Yodlee through Vanguard to keep track of my external financial accounts in the Vanguard interface. While it's far from perfect, it's good enough to give me the big picture that I find useful.

Recently, a few things have happened:

-Accounts at linked banks that I have NOT asked Yodlee to list are now showing up in my Vanguard account. Best example is that at my local bank, my personal checking shows (as I've specified) but now my business checking is also showing.

-I had linked my wife's Vanguard back to mine years ago via Yodlee before I knew how to make myself a delegate on her accounts. So I could keep track of all of our retirement accounts that way in one place. I disconnected this when I found the Vanguard internal ability that covers this better (Security Profile -> Account Permissions). Now, those accounts are back (so duplicated) plus other accounts of hers that I never included in my Yodlee. Considering I disconnected this years ago, I'm a little alarmed about the security of getting access again here. For a divorced couple, this could be a nightmare.

-So I deleted out all of these extra accounts yesterday, and now they're right back in there today.

Anyone else seeing issues like this? I hate to dump Yodlee completely, but I'm more than a little concerned, especially about the security of them re-linking old connections that should have been purged from their system years ago.
Cheez-It Guy

Re: Vanguard and Yodlee Issues

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

I haven't seen this behavior, but I do have problems with Yodlee on Vanguard failing to update with any regularity and / or having to re-link accounts. Recently a bank account appeared to update as normal, but began showing a balance of $0.00, which is incorrect.
Topic Author
jst

Post by jst »

Yeah - it does often have trouble updating, but for general ballparking purposes, I do find it useful.
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

Yes, me too. I think the issues are with Yodlee. When you click into it, the pop-up is like a portal to their site. In their defense, it's probably challenging to keep up with the multitude of linked financial institutions and their ever-changing login requirements.
printer86

Post by printer86 »

I've been able to solve my Yodlee issues by accessing Vanguard while using the Chrome browser every once in a while. When using Chrome, I refresh each outside account from the "Balances and Holdings" tab. If the account doesn't refresh, I use the edit accounts link to reestablish the updating process.

For example, Ally requires a second authentication step that doesn't even come up when I use safari.
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

I got everything to refresh this morning, but the one account is still showing $0.00. Odd.
Topic Author
jst

Post by jst »

Agreed that I can't use Safari to get good updates or even add accounts - I have to go to Chrome also.

The worst part to me is that they resurrected this long ago deleted account. Feels like they are hanging onto data that they should be purging.

This kind of data aggregator makes me nervous to begin with, so this doesn't help.
Topic Author
jst

Post by jst »

Now I can't make this work with Navy Federal at all.

I'm feeling like it might be time to find a better solution, but I can't imagine trusting anything outside of Vanguard.
Topic Author
jst

Post by jst »

OK - time for me to jump ship here.

Mint?

Personal Capital?

Something like Betterment?

What's the best aggregator out there? Clearly, I have too many random accounts, but I'm always chasing yield, and here I am.
NewBog21

Post by NewBog21 »

I have refresh issues frequently. Has anyone been able to find a phone number to contact tech support at Yodlee or through Vanguard. My advisor said he would "look into it" but you know how that works out....
TIA
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

NewBog21 wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:58 am I have refresh issues frequently. Has anyone been able to find a phone number to contact tech support at Yodlee or through Vanguard. My advisor said he would "look into it" but you know how that works out....
TIA
As far as I know Yodlee is a legacy offering at Vanguard and if that's true I wouldn't expect much if any support going forward.
NewBog21

Post by NewBog21 »

Do you know if Vanguard plans to use an alternative app for aggregating accounts?
Topic Author
jst

Post by jst »

I just went to Excel and I manually check the other accounts maybe every month.

It takes a bit longer but it works just fine.

And the added bonus is, I'm not providing my banking credentials to some third-party company.
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

tibbitts wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:33 pm As far as I know Yodlee is a legacy offering at Vanguard and if that's true I wouldn't expect much if any support going forward.
Perhaps. Not exactly sure what you mean, as it's available on the new brokerage platform. Maybe not for long. Could easily be the next thing to go. But if they're not going to support it, they might as well get rid of it. It frequently fails to update for me on accounts with 2FA enabled, despite going through the process to link everything up. I dropped Mint years ago, and I'm not using another aggregation service, so it's hard to say whether this is an issue with my service providers (the institutions that manage the outside accounts), with Yodlee, or with Vanguard.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

Cheez-It Guy wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:27 pm
tibbitts wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:33 pm As far as I know Yodlee is a legacy offering at Vanguard and if that's true I wouldn't expect much if any support going forward.
Perhaps. Not exactly sure what you mean, as it's available on the new brokerage platform. Maybe not for long. Could easily be the next thing to go. But if they're not going to support it, they might as well get rid of it. It frequently fails to update for me on accounts with 2FA enabled, despite going through the process to link everything up. I dropped Mint years ago, and I'm not using another aggregation service, so it's hard to say whether this is an issue with my service providers (the institutions that manage the outside accounts), with Yodlee, or with Vanguard.
In 2019 I believe Vanguard announced on its website that account aggregation was closed to new enrollments, but would continue to be available to "select shareholders." I don't know what you need to qualify but that's why I believe it's a legacy platform for Vanguard. I had the feature long before then so I wasn't affected.

Discussion from the time:

viewtopic.php?t=289819
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

Thanks. I either forgot that or missed it first time around. I might as well divorce myself from it.
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

I noticed since they applied the new design to the last bastion of a functional page -- Balances and Holdings -- I am unable to find a way to add, update, maintain, or remove external linked accounts. As long as they keep updating, that's fine, but when they invariably break, how do I even remove the linkage, much less correct the error?
fourwheelcycle

Post by fourwheelcycle »

jst wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 11:15 am -Accounts at linked banks that I have NOT asked Yodlee to list are now showing up in my Vanguard account. Best example is that at my local bank, my personal checking shows (as I've specified) but now my business checking is also showing.
A few weeks ago, our Bank of America checking and savings accounts stopped updating on Yodlee. I went to the editing page and found a note from Yodlee that BoA now requires a special sign-off to allow Yodlee to access accounts.

I logged into BoA and found that BoA's new sign-off for outside aggregators is all or nothing. I could only check Yes or No, and Yes would give Yodlee access to all of our credit card accounts in addition to our checking and savings accounts. I checked No. Since we keep fairly close to our target balances in checking and savings, I added BoA to our manually-updated outside accounts at Vanguard and entered our target balances.

I previously had to add Vanguard Charitable to our manually-updated outside accounts. Amazingly, even though Vanguard offers a very convenient direct link to Vanguard Charitable for account contributions, Vanguard has not developed a way to include Vanguard Charitable in its Yodlee aggregation service.